• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| July 2016. Everyone Loves A Hero, Everyone Loves You

Definitely worth it. up there with Usagi and Stray bullets for me

This is all you need. I would follow the library edition order of reading.
http://hellboy.wikia.com/wiki/Trade_Paperback_Collections#Collected_Trade_Paperbacks

Darkness calls, wild hunt, then the storm and fury should be the last major arc of hellboy.

It's worth it. But if there's one thing I hate with Mignolaverse and even some other dark horse books is they make it so confusing to figure out to]he order of things. To the point I usually prefer the collected trades. Because at least they're numbered.....usually

Thanks guys. The reading order mostly helps, but there are lots of issues that don't seem to have the same titles as arcs in the collected editions. Ugh. Why would they not just number the comics in order like normal books?

Mindwipe

So, I quit MU last week - the app is just too unreliable for offline reading. Back to my CMX backlog.

I have a bit more Batman I never got round to, so I'm reading The Return of Bruce Wayne today. It's okay so far, but I have to be honest I'm not really one for historical fiction, and so far it's a bit trope-y. The good bits are more the bits with
Superman going to the Vanishing Point.

dan2026

Just got caught up on the latest Doctor Strange series.

It's some good stuff. Now I want more Strange, in, on or around me.

Damn, MU has a SDCC 1 month for $1 code again ('DOLLAR') but this time they have excluded gift subscriptions. No more stocking up of codes.

Oh Johnny...

1KxIILp.jpg

Okay, in that massive Dark Horse sale, I'm already set on the Mignolaverse in general, plus Kabuki and Usagi Yojimbo, and I was thinking I'd get the Goon in nice physical editions at some point.

So my question is, what's worthwhile in that mound of other series than the mound of ones I mentioned? I'm assuming the licensed stuff is mostly eh, but that still leaves lots of series that I know nothing about. Like, what about that one Beasts of Burden series that Hellboy for some reason has a crossover with, for example?

You can try Groo if you are in the mood for some slapstick humour. Four arcs seem to be available on CMX and the issues are a dollar each. Friends and Foes is a decent starting point I think. Groo revisits all the regular characters in the series, so it gives you a pretty good idea of the world.

Soooo many new comics to read and all I want to do is finish catching up with Walking Dead. 18 issues to go. Fuck. How did this comic get so phenomenally good.

You can try Groo if you are in the mood for some slapstick humour. Four arcs seem to be available on CMX and the issues are a dollar each. Friends and Foes is a decent starting point I think. Groo revisits all the regular characters in the series, so it gives you a pretty good idea of the world.

Hey, I completly forgot about Groo, how can I be forgiven....

I would prefer the trades, but only single issues are on sale.

Anything else I msy check on Dark Horse and Dynamite sales?

Hey, I completly forgot about Groo, how can I be forgiven....

I would prefer the trades, but only single issues are on sale.

Anything else I msy check on Dark Horse and Dynamite sales?

I am only partway through American Flagg but wht I've read is great. The 12 issues are on sale for a dollar each.

I am only partway through American Flagg but wht I've read is great. The 12 issues are on sale for a dollar each.

I love American Flagg but I have read the whole series back in the 80s. If they did not add something to the digital versions I think I will leave it to another sale, or wait fir the complete series to be available.

Tizoc

Thanks guys. The reading order mostly helps, but there are lots of issues that don't seem to have the same titles as arcs in the collected editions. Ugh. Why would they not just number the comics in order like normal books?

The best way to read Hellboy and BPRD is this way
Read Hellboy up til Conqueror Worm
Then you can start BPRD
Alternate between BPRD and Hellboy until you've caught up.

Boogiepop

Awesome, thanks!

Also, to the people asking about the Mignolaverse: Hellboy and the BPRD stuff are obviously the big ones, but if you can afford it I'd recommend checking out everything in the universe. It's pretty much all quality stuff, and it has a tendency to tie in in at least some way, big or small.

Hellblazer Rebirth: Pretty meh. I didn't like the dialogue, the convoluted story, or the art. I think I'm bowing out of any further issues.

Batgirl & BOP Rebirth: fantastic. All around really good. As far as getting the band back together books go, this was phenomenal.

Faith #1: best art of any book I've read today. I like how Sauvage is part of the identity of this comic now, drawing Faith's imagination for a page or two; however, Perez is the one that really surprised me in this book. Story was good too

Batman #3: overall, continues to be a fun romp with occasionally more substancial storytelling. I'm enjoying it for what it is.

Love Aja's cover for Star Wars #21.

That's super similar to the one he did for Bloodshot. Guess he loves red circles

Boogiepop

Ooh, hadn't seen the Dynamite sale too. Is there anything good in their catalogue? Can't say I'm exactly familiar with them. Just started flipping through, and I saw the Bob's Burgers comic. Didn't that get at least some positive impressions in here, or am I remembering incorrectly?

The biggest problem with Batman v Superman isn't that it's a trash fire of a movie, but rather that it's created so many opportunities for me to hear nitwits say "verse" when they mean to say "versus".

Boogiepop

Having just looked through the whole digital catalogue of Dynamite thanks to the comixology sale after having not been familiar with it...

Nearly everything was scantily clad women and/or random licenses. Like, there was a freaking Smosh comic in there. Geeze. Still, there's probably at least SOMETHING worthwhile in that mass of comics, right?

Having just looked through the whole digital catalogue of Dynamite thanks to the comixology sale after having not been familiar with it...

Nearly everything was scantily clad women and/or random licenses. Like, there was a freaking Smosh comic in there. Geeze. Still, there's probably at least SOMETHING worthwhile in that mass of comics, right?
Flash Gordon by Jeff Parker and Doc Shaner.

Parker's Flash Gordon/etc stuff isn't bad

I know it was his movie pitch but I genuinely enjoyed it, he even got his silver age piano deathtrap in there.

I'm just kidding, I wouldn't be surprised by a good thing from the dude every now and then. Remember the first 20 minutes of Clerks?

And...those comics they did with Mahfood?

Sou Da

oh i aint pretending lol

Ya killing me Benjamin.

Also this week in Marvel teens was surprising. Spider-Man is finally picking up speed, Miles is actually exhibiting a personality, the slice of life stuff is all likeable, and the racial issues are impressively handled (all it really took was involving his dad in that)

I won't spoil Nova, this issue was great, a character that comic-gaf is sweet on showed up and was actually perfectly in character, and it continues the sad note of the universe both hating and not caring about Sam.

Messi

Ooh, hadn't seen the Dynamite sale too. Is there anything good in their catalogue? Can't say I'm exactly familiar with them. Just started flipping through, and I saw the Bob's Burgers comic. Didn't that get at least some positive impressions in here, or am I remembering incorrectly?

Bob's Burgers is awesome. Buy it if you like the show.

Messi

Kevin Smith is the Kurtis Wiebe of filmmaking. Fluked it once or twice and now struggles to even know what made his stuff great. Cursed to keep chasing his older quality. Output bow mostly useless.

Owzers

Tomorrow is the day Trump pivots for the general election, basically telling people he's no longer going to only read Valiant comics and is subscribing to Batman and Harley.

He still won't play Destiny though.

mreddie

So according to BC, Ant-Man is done, two books will get announced at SDCC and maybe more. NOW starts with a chunk of the new series as well as those who survived, Scarlet Witch will stay ongoing. The Solicits is delayed til after SDCC.

Maybe Ant-Man is getting a break but who knows?

Messi

So according to BC, Ant-Man is done, two books will get announced at SDCC and maybe more. NOW starts with a chunk of the new series as well as those who survived, Scarlet Witch will stay ongoing. The Solicits is delayed til after SDCC.

Maybe Ant-Man is getting a break but who knows?

This book is trash.

As a sleep aid, I totally agree.

Savage. To be honest, I've never played Destiny. Not once.

Not like this shingi. You were the chosen one.

Shingi is cool in my book, and Freeza points are worth more than Messi points.

Ooh, hadn't seen the Dynamite sale too. Is there anything good in their catalogue?

I think you retroactively answered your own question there.

Green Arrow #3 was great. Ferreyra killed it on art. Really amazing.

Was there ever a doubt? GA has been on point so far.

Is Ant-Man getting canceled or is it just ending? The week Steve Rogers #1 came on, Spencer was on Word Balloon and said he was getting near the end of his Ant-Man story.

BrightLightLava

Unconfirmed Member
Betty and Veronica was really good, even if Hughes' writing did get awfully close to tipping into "Hello fellow kids" territory. My biggest issue with it though, was the coloring. It's all washed out, like an Instagram filter. I thought it was just going to be for the flashback, but the whole book was in flashback so the whole thing looked muddy.

Messi

Savage. To be honest, I've never played Destiny. Not once.

Shingi is cool in my book, and Freeza points are worth more than Messi points.

I think you retroactively answered your own question there.

Was there ever a doubt? GA has been on point so far.

Sure they are Freeza. Sure thru are :D

Betty and Veronica was really good, even if Hughes' writing did get awfully close to tipping into "Hello fellow kids" territory. My biggest issue with it though, was the coloring. It's all washed out, like an Instagram filter. I thought it was just going to be for the flashback, but the whole book was in flashback so the whole thing looked muddy.

It WAS a flashback. To when Betty and Veronica were relevant.

:D

Messi

Glad I wasn't the only one bothered by the colouring. The faded look killed his art. :(

Top Bottom