• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| July 2016. Everyone Loves A Hero, Everyone Loves You

VanWinkle

For me, coming out of Snyder's run, King's Batman is the most disappointing Rebirth title easily. Everything else has been pretty much what we expected given the creative team or better than we expected.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
Batman 3 was great, these Gotham heroes are growing on me.

What the hell was up with
Psycho-pirate's
design? Dude looks like he came straight out of a 1930s comic book. Gotham and Gotham Girl's designs are pretty crap, too, though, so maybe that's just gonna be a constant in Batman Rebirth.

After reading the first FemThor series I think I'd prefer it if this was written by an actual woman, because some of Aaron's attempts at giving the book a feminist angle are laughably bad. I mean, Titania literally
surrendering just because she's happy to see a woman superhero lol
and then the final battle where
Freyja brings in only female heroes for some reason, including street level heroes against a weapon meant to fight Gods. It makes no sense!
Enjoyable read for the most part but parts of this were just awful. Now onto Thors.

As for today's Rebirth books: Batman, Superman, Green Arrow, and Birds of Prey were great. Justice league was fucking nothing, probably not going to follow. Hellblazer was bad, only rebirth book I'm not giving at least 2 issues.

I remember Gillen repping the Warren Ellis run as a good primer on Hellblazer, you got a second opinion on that?

I think I could agree with that. His is one of the shorter runs on the book, as he left early in frustration because DC refused to publish his story titled "Shoot" about high school killings(its around the time Columbine happen). It starts off with one of the stronger, accessible stories of the 300 issues, the six part "Haunted", and then its a string of one-off issues that give you an idea of the kind of adventures John gets into.

Ross61

I haven't read Supes yet but aside from Arrow/WW, Rebirth is a dud so far.

JL is just meh.

I disagree immensely. The line if far better than it was before. The whole Superman line so far is solid, the Bat-books continue to be great, Green Arrow has been fire, Flash has been great, Titans is good, Hellblazer and GL books are a mixed bag so far, Aquaman is adequate barring art issues.

TheFlow

Banned
Arrow/bat books/ Wonder Woman/ sup books.

Least I am pulling more than bat books this time around. Still have hopes for some of the future titles like blue beetle and teen titans

Aqua man is only bad because of the art, which is ashamed because the story despite being a retelling is still solid.

Green lantern stuff has always been a nope for me.

mreddie

I disagree immensely. The line if far better than it was before. The whole Superman line so far is solid, the Bat-books continue to be great, Green Arrow has been fire, Flash has been great, Titans is good, Hellblazer and GL books are a mixed bag so far, Aquaman is adequate barring art issues.

ASB wait is getting to me, King Batman at this point is a TPB wait for me. Supes never grabbed me yet New Supes was great because is wasn't the usual Supes book.

Detective?

I chose Kingman over that, I feel like a dope now.

I think DC as a whole is much stronger now than it was during New 52. I don't think anything is necessarily great so far, but it's far more enjoyable than it was.

Sandfox

Green Lanterns was awful.

That dialogue was painful to read.

I don't know what you expected for a Sam Humphries book. He's one of the main reasons Cosmic Marvel has sucked and wrote a book where the "selling point" is that people have sex with dogs.

I chose Kingman over that, I feel like a dope now.
I said before the books released that King's Batman was sounding the most boring out of all the Batbooks, and from what I read he's meh at writing Bruce.

TheFlow

Banned
It sucks too because Flash I was hoping for that spark that made me love him in the first place but so far, PFFFFFFFTTTTTTTTT
Yea I dropped flash so fast. Some of the stuff is definitely meh to outright bad but if I can manage to add 4-5 series from the launch then I can call it successful for me.

Ross61

I personally really like Flash right now. I'm also hoping that Aquaman goes monthly so it can just stick to Brad Walker.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
You should have told me this before I bought it. I count on you for these things, Lashley.

giphy.gif

VanWinkle

What are the problems with Flash? I've only read the Rebirth issue. Just the art? Because I actually like the art. Or is it other stuff?

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
What are the problems with Flash? I've only read the Rebirth issue. Just the art? Because I actually like the art. Or is it other stuff?

Storys a bit dull

I'm only still reading because its better than n52 flash, but that isnt difficult

Green Lanterns is pretty enjoyable. And I'm gonna continue reading it even if it gets bad just so Hal's book doesn't become the only GL title (Hal was better when he was evil). Though I haven't read the 3rd issue yet so I don't know if it turns shit yet.

Green Arrow 3 was the shit. And Juan's art was top-tier. I hope him and the last guy stay on the book forever. And I thought Olly had a hard-line no-kill rule but he straight up shot a dude in the chest and blew up a whole room of goons. Hell, shooting people's limbs full of arrows can kill them too so I don't know why he bothers (lol at what he did to the innocent security guard).

Superman 3 was great and had beautiful art but I despise decompression in monthly books so I may have to trade wait this one. I'll stick it out for the full arc at least.

Dusknoir

Batman #3 was pretty damn good, best issue of this run so far.
The two opposing monologues of becoming or surpassing Gotham are good looks at the motivation of the arc's main characters. I just wish we get more of a insight to why the Gothams' outfits look so generic (Probably by design to reflect their personality idk.) Art looks good. Flinch can do a good Hugo Strange.

Having read this after the first volume of Vision, I'm going to guess that King really likes using monologues and 3 by 3 panels.

I've loved Humphries ever since The Maker, that finale was so bad. It's like he took a bullet for Hickman.

That whole thing was hilarious in retrospect. Marvel tried to revive the Ultimate universe with some top talent in Hickman and Ribic, then like four issues later "hey wait, these guys should just be on the main Avengers book lol" and that was the end of its brief relevance.

also if you're interested in Hellblazer, remembers there's hundred of better issues starring the non-watered down sanitized DC version of the character readily available right here

I've been reading those trades this year, and they really are great.

For me, coming out of Snyder's run, King's Batman is the most disappointing Rebirth title easily. Everything else has been pretty much what we expected given the creative team or better than we expected.

King's Batman is boring, paint-by-numbers stuff. Yay? I'd prefer Snyder again.

I haven't read Supes yet but aside from Arrow/WW, Rebirth is a dud so far.

JL is just meh.

Detective is good, too. Other than that, I'm in agreement. Flash is the worst.

You're basically bizarro me with that opinion. Flash is the worst offender in terms of combining awful writing, a rehashed story, and super dodgy art. Aquaman had one good issue, and three awful ones. Green Lanterns was a one and done drop, so I can't really comment on its quality since. Hellblazer is hot garbage. Action Comics better move away from massive orchestrated fight scene and explain WTF is going on if it wants my $6. Batgirl was meh. Titans did nothing for me.

So that leaves me with what I do like. Superman is surprisingly decent. Detective has been great. Batman is Batman. The year one portion of Wonder Woman got started with a bang, even if the modern book didn't hook me.

And then there's Green Arrow, which is so much better than everything else in the Rebirth line that it's funny. They've somehow snuck a high quality Image book into DC's lineup without DiDio mucking it up.

Ross61

I've been reading those trades this year, and they really are great.

King's Batman is boring, paint-by-numbers stuff. Yay? I'd prefer Snyder again.

Detective is good, too. Other than that, I'm in agreement. Flash is the worst.

You're basically bizarro me with that opinion. Flash is the worst offender in terms of combining awful writing, a rehashed story, and super dodgy art. Aquaman had one good issue, and three awful ones. Green Lanterns was a one and done drop, so I can't really comment on its quality since. Hellblazer is hot garbage. Action Comics better move away from massive orchestrated fight scene and explain WTF is going on if it wants my $6. Batgirl was meh. Titans did nothing for me.

So that leaves me with what I do like. Superman is surprisingly decent. Detective has been great. Batman is Batman. The year one portion of Wonder Woman got started with a bang, even if the modern book didn't hook me.

And then there's Green Arrow, which is so much better than everything else in the Rebirth line that it's funny. They've somehow snuck a high quality Image book into DC's lineup without DiDio mucking it up.

Yeah we definitely don't see eye to eye on Flash. I love the writing and the art. And I haven't read much of Flash so I wouldn't know if it was rehashed.

Yeah we definitely don't see eye to eye on Flash. I love the writing and the art. And I haven't read much of Flash so I wouldn't know if it was rehashed.

That's fair. It's better than what came right before it, so I'd agree with that part of your sentiment (better place than New 52). I also forgot Nightwing, which was a solid first issue.

All in all, DC has me completely sold on one book, and still buying 3-4 others every week. That will drop some as my patience wears out some, but it's far better than the one book I bought prior to Rebirth. Batman, we all buy Batman.

frye

me picking up a random DC comic c. 2011-2012: what the fuck is this garbage (probably)

me picking up a random DC comic c. now: it's okay i guess?? (probably)

Ross61

Too me the line is solid with a couple standouts, but I expect that to get better with the whole line all rolled out. Plus the Young Animal and Hanna-Barbera books.

ElNarez

Banned
Yeah I expect big things from Rob Williams and Philip Tan and whoever else they get when Jim Lee falls through on Suicide Squad

ElNarez

Banned
Batgirl and the Birds of Prey was dope. Like, it gets what's cool about its characters, and it delivers on that in a smart way. I love that it's already got a bunch of great hooks that promise a cool payoff.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
Lazarus #23 -
Whew! I though for sure the Daggers were going to take Sonja out the second she finished off Mueller. Glad she didn't get dead. The power struggle between Johanna and Bethany continues as well.

Top Bottom