• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| July 2016. Everyone Loves A Hero, Everyone Loves You

I just bought 92.88€ worth of DC comics thanks to the sale. I'm getting my next paycheck in a few days.

Someone stop me from reducing my CMX wish list by 100 items.

PS. International Iron Man is trash and I wouldn't be surprised if the spoilers are true because everything Bendis has done the last year has had people go "I'm guessing he's going to do X" only for it to turn out to be true every single time, be it CWII, IIM, gotg or Spider-Man.

Messi

I remember when I used to get excited for Comixology sales. Sadly I've bought every single comic worth owning already.

Oh hey dark horse is having a sale I guess now is the time to buy all of Empowered. Oh wait... When did I buy all 8 volumes.

Rinse repeat for every big image title.

Rereading Grant Morrisons Batman(never finished it, got to Batman & Robin). Should I read the Black Case book prior to the run? Never read it before.

Zombine

Banned
I wish I could tell you where Snot Girl is going, but the truth is that I have no fucking clue and I'm ok with that. The art is incredible, and the characters present in the book are completely toxic. O'Malley's observation on millennial culture. Book seems to fall firmly within my demo compared to Scott Pilgrim which fell within another. I'll keep at it and see what the fuck that was all about.

Oh hey dark horse is having a sale I guess now is the time to buy all of Empowered. Oh wait... When did I buy all 8 volumes.

Rinse repeat for every big image title.

Bastards put the singles for Umbrella Academy on sale and not the collections. The singles aren't in HD :(

Messi

I wish I could tell you where Snot Girl is going, but the truth is that I have no fucking clue and I'm ok with that. The art is incredible, and the characters present in the book are completely toxic. O'Malley's observation on millennial culture. Book seems to fall firmly within my demo compared to Scott Pilgrim which fell within another. I'll keep at it and see what the fuck that was all about.

Do you speak to your mother with that mouth.

Bastards put the singles for Umbrella Academy on sale and not the collections. The singles aren't in HD :(

Oh man that is a special kind of evil.

Messi

Might be their best sculpt ever

efyCA6K.jpg
smWWQQE.jpg

Not so sure about letos head in this one. Arkham looked better to me.

Big Willie

Only read a couple Rebirth books so far. Batman was really damn good and Aquaman was really fucking boring. Superman was just ok. I think I'm out on Aquaman. Even if it was suddenly ok it's still so much retread.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
the more i see Margot, the more faith/interest i have in SS

maybe i'll read some old Batman Adventures books

was that Kot SS run any good? i guess its only 4 issues so its quick enough for me to just give it a try

Dial H would be there, and Astro City of course. Hypotically I'm interested to hear what you, fyre, etc would be on a Best superhero comics of the decade so far list. No order, they could just be one issue or a series, they could just be artistically interesting, just your opinion on "best".

Hmm, a list for me would be highly Marvel skewed. Let's see

-The Batman Comics of Grant Morrison w/Yanick Paquette, Chris Burnham, Cameron Stewart, Frazier Irving, Ryan Sook, etc
-Daredevil by Mark Waid, Marcos Martin, Paolo Rivera, Chris Samnee, etc
-Hawkeye by Matt Fraction, David Aja, Annie Wu, etc
-Moon Knight by Warren Ellis, Declan Shelvey, and Jordie Bellaire
-Fantastic Four by Johnathan Hickman, Steve Epting, Dale Eaglesham
-Wonder Woman by Brian Azzarello, Cliff Chiang, etc
-Dial H by China Mieville, Mateus Santoluoco & David Lapham
-Astro City by Kurt Busiek and Brent Anderson
-Unbeatable Squirrel Girl by Ryan North and Erica Henderson
-Silver Surfer by Dan Slott and Michael Allred

These from the ones you listed

And

She-Hulk - Soule/Pulido
Journey into Mystery - Gillen/Braithwhite et al
Ms. Marvel - Wilson/Alphona/Miyazawa et al
Animal Man - Lemire/Foreman
Demon Knights - Cornell/Neves section (but possibly the whole thing)
Batman & Robin - Tomasi/Gleason
Superior-Foes of Spider-man - Spencer/Lieber (Though this might be stretching the super-hero tag a bit).
New Avengers - Hickman/Everyone
One Punch Man - One/Murata (I know your opinions on manga/anime are less than charitable at times but this series is doing some amazing work in the genre. The weekly pace and the super decompressed nature gives you a very different cadence compared to the montly 3-5 issue structure).
Battling Boy - Pope (Would this count? It has all the trappings of a superhero comic...)
Archer & Armstrong - Van Lente/Henry

Squirrel Girl bishoujo art reveal:

#NotMySG

I would buy one of these with a Henderson design.

Those who think Hellcat is bad. You guys haven't read Punisher.

Punisher was horrible. Hellcat is just... going nowhere.

I just read Snotgirl and this is a good post even if there are a lot of typos

Leslie Hung is my new favorite. Read this comic guys, it's so pretty.

All the art excerpts are making me want to read it but I don't really enjoy O'Malley's writing.

Thinking about making a thread on the CMX DCBOGO sale...

Any suggestions on books people should check out that I can put in the OP? Thinking about a kid friendly section with stuff like Li'l Gotham etc.

I'm heading out to the city for a few hours so I'll post it when I get back.

Aizo

Banned
I've been interested in The Unwritten for a while. Is it good? Is it consistently good all the way through?

I'm interested in seeing that recommended DC thread if it gets made.

Any suggestions on books people should check out that I can put in the OP? Thinking about a kid friendly section with stuff like Li'l Gotham etc.

Dunno about kid friendly stuff, maybe Batman Adventures?

Beyond that, for anyone I'd recommend:
Batman by Morrison
Power Girl: Power Trip
Seven Soldiers of Victory
Batgirl by Miller
Plastic Man by Kyle Baker
Flash by Morrison/Millar
Catwoman by Brubaker

Vertigo is included too so you can include stuff like Sandman, Doom Patrol, etc.

Mindwipe

Gotham Academy, obvs.

i'd be so fuckin bummed if this happened

Well I know for a fact back in October he was working on it

CSgPEhDWsAAXQ2K.jpg

And somebody asked him back in April what he was working on, and he said "The Punisher". So maybe they're doing a graphic novel and want to release it all at once?

It maybe my inner fanboy talking but I'd put X-men Legacy up there. If only for the subjects and themes it explores so wonderfully with Legion's powerset The main mark against it for me would be the quality of interior artwork which I think I've railed against enough times already. Still not enough to exclude it from such a list though.

Spurrier is in that spot with Al Ewing, a great comic book writer who came up through the trenches of 2000 AD, and I know when they pair him with an artist of his caliber his comics can be great. His best work with Frazier Irving(The Simping Dtective) and Jeff Stokely(Six-Gun Gorilla, The Spire) he just needs somebody working on his level. Why they stick him with Tan Eng Huat and Rock-He Kim and shit, I'll never know.

Might be their best sculpt ever

This is terrifying

was that Kot SS run any good? i guess its only 4 issues so its quick enough for me to just give it a try

Yes it was.

Hmm, a list for me would be highly Marvel skewed. Let's see

These from the ones you listed

And

She-Hulk - Soule/Pulido
Journey into Mystery - Gillen/Braithwhite et al
Ms. Marvel - Wilson/Alphona/Miyazawa et al
Animal Man - Lemire/Foreman
Demon Knights - Cornell/Neves section (but possibly the whole thing)
Batman & Robin - Tomasi/Gleason
Superior-Foes of Spider-man - Spencer/Lieber (Though this might be stretching the super-hero tag a bit).
New Avengers - Hickman/Everyone
One Punch Man - One/Murata (I know your opinions on manga/anime are less than charitable at times but this series is doing some amazing work in the genre. The weekly pace and the super decompressed nature gives you a very different cadence compared to the montly 3-5 issue structure).
Battling Boy - Pope (Would this count? It has all the trappings of a superhero comic...)
Archer & Armstrong - Van Lente/Henry

I thought about Battling Boy. I would probably put it there for Paul Pope sake, although the format he initially printed the book in was infuriating.

Owzers

I've been interested in The Unwritten for a while. Is it good? Is it consistently good all the way through?

I'm interested in seeing that recommended DC thread if it gets made.
I didn't like the direction it went after the third trade, still pretty good but it lost my enthusiastic recommendation.

I'm seriously considering not voting for Trump after last night, this is worse than when Raw took Roman Reigns ~5th.

Aizo

Banned
The Hellboy stuff is so horribly organized on Comixology that I'm not going to bother after all. If the volumes go on sale, then I'll bite.
I didn't like the direction it went after the third trade, still pretty good but it lost my enthusiastic recommendation.
Thanks for the response. I guess I'll wait on that a bit, too.

TheFlow

Banned

I'm seriously considering not voting for Trump after last night, this is worse than when Raw took Roman Reigns ~5th.

you was planning on voting for trump?

MG310

Yes! Almost there, Birdie. Come join us in the light.

Oh lordy. I do believe I'm getting the vapors. Is that a DCC statue?

I think so? It said DC Collectibles and partners for the display but that might just be because of Mattel's barbie dolls and WW w/ invisible jet.

So looking for a bit of advice on this DC sale. I bought all of Gotham Central immediately for $26. Sounds like a steal based on all the praise for the series. Now I'm looking at a few different options of stuff to dive into.

1) Green Lantern by Johns. I've read a small part of the Sinestro War, but otherwise am unfamiliar with this. Often gets referenced as the definitive Green Lantern story. Sticking just to the main series and events (ignoring Green Lantern Corps completely), it comes out the most expensive at almost $104. Any word on digital omnis coming out? Where is my DC Unlimited, damn it?

2) Hellblazer volumes 4-14. From the Vertigo line. I've got the first three volumes and enjoyed them enough to consider picking up the rest. I'm not a massive Constantine fan, mind you, and the new series has left a particularly sour taste in my mouth, but there you have it.

3) Astro City (2013). I have the entire run of everything that comes before this. Haven't read the majority of it other than the OG stuff that I loved. Is this any good?

4) Dial H and something else of equal value. No clue what this is, to be honest.

So looking for a bit of advice on this DC sale. I bought all of Gotham Central immediately for $26. Sounds like a steal based on all the praise for the series. Now I'm looking at a few different options of stuff to dive into.

1) Green Lantern by Johns. I've read a small part of the Sinestro War, but otherwise am unfamiliar with this. Often gets referenced as the definitive Green Lantern story. Sticking just to the main series and events (ignoring Green Lantern Corps completely), it comes out the most expensive at almost $104. Any word on digital omnis coming out? Where is my DC Unlimited, damn it?

2) Hellblazer volumes 4-14. From the Vertigo line. I've got the first three volumes and enjoyed them enough to consider picking up the rest. I'm not a massive Constantine fan, mind you, and the new series has left a particularly sour taste in my mouth, but there you have it.

3) Astro City (2013). I have the entire run of everything that comes before this. Haven't read the majority of it other than the OG stuff that I loved. Is this any good?

4) Dial H and something else of equal value. No clue what this is, to be honest.

1) Don't waste your money.

3) I've read #1 - #10 and it continues to be great. Similar in quality to the stuff before the Dark Ages minis. No stand out issues yet though.

4) Can you buy trade 1 and trade 2 for the BOGO?

Top Bottom