• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| July 2016. Everyone Loves A Hero, Everyone Loves You

1) Don't waste your money.

3) I've read #1 - #10 and it continues to be great. Similar in quality to the stuff before the Dark Ages minis. No stand out issues yet though.

4) Can you buy trade 1 and trade 2 for the BOGO?

Thanks. I didn't even realize Dial H was two volumes, I just saw the full collection. That might be the way I lean for $13 for both.

I really want to finish out the Perez WW run while this sale is going on, but I only have 8 issues and there are 62 total, and I can't afford that.

Does anyone who has read the entire run have any advice? Is there a good place to stop for now? Then I can get whatever's left when they have the next BOGO sale or a sale for the WW movie.

TheFlow

Banned
I really want to finish out the Perez WW run while this sale is going on, but I only have 8 issues and there are 62 total, and I can't afford that.

Does anyone who has read the entire run have any advice? Is there a good place to stop for now? Then I can get whatever's left when they have the next BOGO sale or a sale for the WW movie.

vanwrinkle I think has finished it all

How did I not know that Bleeding Cool was owned by Avatar Press? That makes it look even shadier when they're always spoiling stories and trying to interfere with PR plans for rival publishers.

Ross61

So looking for a bit of advice on this DC sale. I bought all of Gotham Central immediately for $26. Sounds like a steal based on all the praise for the series. Now I'm looking at a few different options of stuff to dive into.

1) Green Lantern by Johns. I've read a small part of the Sinestro War, but otherwise am unfamiliar with this. Often gets referenced as the definitive Green Lantern story. Sticking just to the main series and events (ignoring Green Lantern Corps completely), it comes out the most expensive at almost $104. Any word on digital omnis coming out? Where is my DC Unlimited, damn it?

2) Hellblazer volumes 4-14. From the Vertigo line. I've got the first three volumes and enjoyed them enough to consider picking up the rest. I'm not a massive Constantine fan, mind you, and the new series has left a particularly sour taste in my mouth, but there you have it.

3) Astro City (2013). I have the entire run of everything that comes before this. Haven't read the majority of it other than the OG stuff that I loved. Is this any good?

4) Dial H and something else of equal value. No clue what this is, to be honest.

Get GL by Johns, one of the best ones of the decade.

BrightLightLava

Unconfirmed Member
Still figuring out what, if anything, to get from the DC BOGO.

Thinking about Preacher and Doom Patrol. Maybe getting digital copies of Y: The Last Man, which I've been meaning to reread.

Also, the Image sale got more things added to it since it started.

TheFlow

Banned

Thinking about Preacher and Doom Patrol. Maybe getting digital copies of Y: The Last Man, which I've been meaning to reread.

When does the image sale end.

Cmx is giving us Christmas in July with these prices

vanwrinkle I think has finished it all
He's only read the first omnibus which covers 25 issues I think. The run goes on for a while.

Get Doom Patrol

This BOGO thing doesn't seem better than the $1 single deals and the cheap trades on Amazon. Like DC: The New Frontier: Deluxe Edition is $40 on Comixology and $20 on Kindle (which gets you a CMX version anyway).

This BOGO thing doesn't seem better than the $1 single deals and the cheap trades on Amazon. Like DC: The New Frontier: Deluxe Edition is $40 on Comixology and $20 on Kindle (which gets you a CMX version anyway).
If you buy singles, BOGO and 99¢ issues are basically the same thing for older comics. But BOGO is better because of selection. It's everything, not just a selection of things they choose.

And the reason those trades are so cheap on Kindle right now is because this sale is going on. They did the same thing with Kindle prices for Marvel collections during Marvel's last BOGO sale.

Picked up Batman: Year One and The Long Halloween in the DC sale. Heard a lot of good things about them

Funny how Batman's my favorite DC hero, but I haven't read much Batman

I guess this is Google's take on guided view...

https://android.googleblog.com/

Sounds pretty good actually.

At San Diego Comic-Con 2016, we just announced Bubble Zoom: a new way to read digital comics on phones and tablets. Using the same technology to recognize objects in photos, we trained our system to identify speech bubbles in comics. Bubble zoom expands the speech bubbles of a comic one-tap-at-a-time, making them super easy to read on your mobile device.

9rqtT2l.gif

It looks better on that Iron Man page because it's a large piece of art that you can see well, but for books with smaller panels, with denser, more detailed artwork, you're still going to need to get a closer look at the actual panels and not just the words.

Either way, I'm going to continue reading on a tablet or not at all.

And the reason those trades are so cheap on Kindle right now is because this sale is going on. They did the same thing with Kindle prices for Marvel collections during Marvel's last BOGO sale.

Yes, a sale on Comicology usually means same prices on Amazon. But Amazon is better than BOGO, because you do not need to buy pairs of trades, rather can buy an odd number or even one. And they can be diferent prices and you still get 50% off.

Hey comicgaf! Long time no see...well, yeah, a few days feels like a long time.

I read some comics today!

All-New Wolverine: Great issue but man I am already sick to death of
every Ulysses story playing out basically the same way. Due to the function of his powers there is very little variation to the stories that are being told. Some writers have come up with clever ways to play with it a little, particularly CWII Spidey, but this one is bog standard - some event is predicted to happen, some major character is in danger or is going to do something awful that seems incredibly unlikely, S.H.I.E.L.D. and/or Captain Marvel pops in and bla bla bla we're off to the races.

Four more months of this? Blah, I am gonna lose interest in some of these tie-ins if this keeps up.

Aquaman: What a dumpster fire this book turned out to be. I feel like it's just spinning its wheels in this issue; it's clearly not an appropriate book for the twice a month schedule. Abnett can't seem to keep a compelling story going with two issues a month. Dropped so hard

Walking Dead: HOLY FUCK WHAT AN AWESOME ISSUE

TheFlow

Banned
i have all of astro city in my cart.

help.

fuck forgot astro city was apart of this. might pick up the first two volumes.

I ended up getting all of BPRD Hell on Earth and Shade, the Changing Man

RIP wallet
R.i.p

Hey comicgaf! Long time no see...well, yeah, a few days feels like a long time.

I read some comics today!

All-New Wolverine: Great issue but man I am already sick to death of
every Ulysses story playing out basically the same way. Due to the function of his powers there is very little variation to the stories that are being told. Some writers have come up with clever ways to play with it a little, particularly CWII Spidey, but this one is bog standard - some event is predicted to happen, some major character is in danger or is going to do something awful that seems incredibly unlikely and bla bla bla we're off to the races.

Four more months of this? Blah, I am gonna lose interest in some of these tie-ins if this keeps up.

Aquaman: What a dumpster fire this book turned out to be. I feel like it's just spinning its wheels in this issue; it's clearly not an appropriate book for the twice a month schedule. Abnett can't seem to keep a compelling story going with two issues a month. Dropped so hard

Walking Dead: HOLY FUCK WHAT AN AWESOME ISSUE

smdh the story is not the problem with aquaman. It is the hella bad art. double shipping makes the most sense for the story arc since it would seem so slow otherwise.

I guess this is Google's take on guided view...

https://android.googleblog.com/

Sounds pretty good actually.

That is so terrible. I guess if you like reading full-paged comics on your phone but you are still gonna be better off using Comixology's Guided View.

I think I'm gonna skip DC's sale. I've never liked buying trades for non-miniseries anyway because it's way harder to re-read or reference a specific issue in the future (and they be missing random issues). Plus, I need to save some money.

That is so terrible. I guess if you like reading full-paged comics on your phone but you are still gonna be better off using Comixology's Guided View.

I think I'm gonna skip DC's sale. I've never liked buying trades for non-miniseries anyway because it's way harder to re-read or reference a specific issue in the future (and they be missing random issues). Plus, I need to save some money.
BOGO works on single issues too. I think the only DC titles not included are the Rebirth books. Everything else is eligible.

Boogiepop

Ok, so DC sale doesn't cover Rebirth stuff, so that's out, obviously.

I guess my next big question is what's good that's either not available in print/practically in print? Like, off the top of my head are Shade the Changing Man and Steph Batgirl stuff things that are supposed to be good and not particularly available in print? Are those recommended? And if so, what issues?

Also think things of a decent age would make a good fit for me here. Like crazy old Kirby stuff. As in I think I can justify Fourth World digitally, but I'm a bit iffy on stuff of that level of vintage usually so I'm not sure I'd want to take the plunge to using shelf space, much as I know that stuff is supposed to be classic. So anything else in that type of range would be good, too. Like, isn't there supposed to be some good older Suicide Squad stuff, for that matter?

But yeah, suggestions would be great, as I'm sure there's plenty to choose from...

Oh, and I guess I'll use this chance to grab Gotham Academy too, since you guys were discussing it...

Ok, so DC sale doesn't cover Rebirth stuff, so that's out, obviously.

I guess my next big question is what's good that's either not available in print/practically in print? Like, off the top of my head are Shade the Changing Man and Steph Batgirl stuff things that are supposed to be good and not particularly available in print? Are those recommended? And if so, what issues?

Also think things of a decent age would make a good fit for me here. Like crazy old Kirby stuff. As in I think I can justify Fourth World digitally, but I'm a bit iffy on stuff of that level of vintage usually so I'm not sure I'd want to take the plunge to using shelf space, much as I know that stuff is supposed to be classic. So anything else in that type of range would be good, too. Like, isn't there supposed to be some good older Suicide Squad stuff, for that matter?

But yeah, suggestions would be great, as I'm sure there's plenty to choose from...

Oh, and I guess I'll use this chance to grab Gotham Academy too, since you guys were discussing it...

Second half of Baker's Plastic Man run is only available digitally.

Unfortunately, only one of the four Fourth World series is available on CMX (Forever People) and it might not be a compelling read without being read with the others.

How about Kamandi. I haven't gotten around to it myself but I've heard great things.

https://www.comixology.com/Kamandi-The-Last-Boy-on-Earth-1971-1978/comics-series/7607

This is the Suicide Squad everyone on here recommends. (Another item on my to read list).

https://www.comixology.com/Suicide-Squad-1987-1992/comics-series/3752

King's Batman is moving a bit too slowly at the moment but I'm still enjoying it. I liked how you were expecting another
retelling of the Waynes murder and it flips its on its head for Gotham.

Boogiepop

Second half of Baker's Plastic Man run is only available digitally.

Unfortunately, only one of the four Fourth World series is available on CMX (Forever People) and it might not be a compelling read without being read with the others.

How about Kamandi. I haven't gotten around to it myself but I've heard great things.

https://www.comixology.com/Kamandi-The-Last-Boy-on-Earth-1971-1978/comics-series/7607

This is the Suicide Squad everyone on here recommends. (Another item on my to read list).

https://www.comixology.com/Suicide-Squad-1987-1992/comics-series/3752

Awesome, thanks a ton! Will definitely jump on those, and it's a shame that Fourth World isn't up in its entirety. Didn't even consider that possibility, but I guess Comixology still has some gaps, just like Marvel Unlimited?

Ponn

Banned
So once you link Comixology to Amazon (I think I just sign in with my Amazon account actually) your Comixology purchases will show up in your Amazon library right? I don't know, its not a great sale, its ok. I was looking at Gotham Academy with the bogo sale the trades would be about $6 a piece but they are currently on sale on Amazon for about $7 so its only a couple bucks.

So once you link Comixology to Amazon (I think I just sign in with my Amazon account actually) your Comixology purchases will show up in your Amazon library right? I don't know, its not a great sale, its ok. I was looking at Gotham Academy with the bogo sale the trades would be about $6 a piece but they are currently on sale on Amazon for about $7 so its only a couple bucks.
Those are not normal Amazon prices. Those Amazon prices are like that because this Comixology BOGO sale is going on.

So looking for a bit of advice on this DC sale. I bought all of Gotham Central immediately for $26. Sounds like a steal based on all the praise for the series. Now I'm looking at a few different options of stuff to dive into.

1) Green Lantern by Johns. I've read a small part of the Sinestro War, but otherwise am unfamiliar with this. Often gets referenced as the definitive Green Lantern story. Sticking just to the main series and events (ignoring Green Lantern Corps completely), it comes out the most expensive at almost $104. Any word on digital omnis coming out? Where is my DC Unlimited, damn it?

2) Hellblazer volumes 4-14. From the Vertigo line. I've got the first three volumes and enjoyed them enough to consider picking up the rest. I'm not a massive Constantine fan, mind you, and the new series has left a particularly sour taste in my mouth, but there you have it.

3) Astro City (2013). I have the entire run of everything that comes before this. Haven't read the majority of it other than the OG stuff that I loved. Is this any good?

4) Dial H and something else of equal value. No clue what this is, to be honest.
Johns GL is pretty awesome, though I have yet to read all of it. I still have to read Blackest Night, Brightest Day, and whatever is in between that and the New52 stuff

I know Johns GL is already a huge financial investment, even on sale, but if you're already going down that rabbit hole, it's so worth adding Tomasi's GL Corps to it.

Get GL by Johns, one of the best ones of the decade.

Johns GL is pretty awesome, though I have yet to read all of it. I still have to read Blackest Night, Brightest Day, and whatever is in between that and the New52 stuff

I know Johns GL is already a huge financial investment, even on sale, but if you're already going down that rabbit hole, it's so worth adding Tomasi's GL Corps to it.

I'm thinking about it. It's definitely a big investment, looks like over $100 for just the mainline book and the various events. I didn't even consider adding GL Corps into the mix, since that would nearly double the total cost.

As much as I've always wanted to read the full series, it's a hefty price. Where the hell is my DC Unlimited, DiDio?

My Vader #23 review:

Star-Wars-Gif-opening-post.gif

Did not see that coming. I'm not a huge fan of Larroca's art but the two page spread with
Vader and Morit dueling
was really great.

Top Bottom