• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| July 2016. Everyone Loves A Hero, Everyone Loves You

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
Comics on the iPad Pro. Holy ffuuuuuuck. Snotgirl looks incredible. It makes me want to read books. But let's not get crazy here.

You've got all of those real life paper comics with that erotic comic smell and you're reading 1s and 0s?
Era642n.jpg

Messi

Why did I buy all these paper books. What a mistake.

Oh and I watched the Wonder Woman trailer. Amazing. It warms my heart to see Gal Gadot proving the haters wrong. She has easily been the most interesting part of the DC movies pre Harley. That action looks so sweet. Dat lasso.

PsychBat!

Banned
Why did I buy all these paper books. What a mistake.

Oh and I watched the Wonder Woman trailer. Amazing. It warms my heart to see Gal Gadot proving the haters wrong. She has easily been the most interesting part of the DC movies pre Harley. That action looks so sweet. Dat lasso.
What did she prove wrong?

Messi

What did she prove wrong?

The people who shit one her from the second she was announce and weren't willing to give her a shot. she imo has proved that she is more than worthy of the part. But that's just opinion. She was easily the best part of bvs.

frye

She was always the most powerful of the group. Writers never really knew how to write her powers well if I recall.

nah, in the beginning she only had her invisibility powers and didn't even get the force fields until a while into Lee/Kirby. I think she started getting strong with Byrne's run.

on his spotlight panel, Jamie McKelvie mentioned that he was on the Warren Ellis board, which also spawned, among others, Hickman, Fraction, KSD, Gillen and Sam Humphries

this con is so dope. comics people are so nice and cool. just today, I chatted with Frank Gibson about wrestling, Kyle Starks about action movies, Ramon Villalobos about MvC (he has my sketchbook rn too), Jackson Lanzing & Colin Kelly about music, etc. Simon Hanselmann sketched in everyone's books at his signing, he's a chill, funny dude

one more day, pray that my body holds up (probably won't)

also, glad to see Messi probably spent more money than me in way less time!!!

on his spotlight panel, Jamie McKelvie mentioned that he was on the Warren Ellis board, which also spawned, among others, Hickman, Fraction, KSD, Gillen and Sam Humphries

this con is so dope. comics people are so nice and cool. just today, I chatted with Frank Gibson about wrestling, Kyle Starks about action movies, Ramon Villalobos about MvC (he has my sketchbook rn too), Jackson Lanzing & Colin Kelly about music, etc. Simon Hanselmann sketched in everyone's books at his signing, he's a chill, funny dude

one more day, pray that my body holds up (probably won't)

also, glad to see Messi probably spent more money than me in way less time!!!
Hanselmann's awesome man, that's so cool.

Have you read Megahex before?

also, the Comixology booth has these trading cards with creators' faces on them and they have promo codes on the back. Tbh I think they're real cool and i imagine it's weird and cool for these comic book people to sign their own trading card
Hanselmann's awesome man, that's so cool.

Have you read Megahex before?

yeah, I've read some of the strips online here and there on his tumblr, they're pretty rad. I bought the book at the show, though, i'm stoked to dig in.

(he also had a CMX card!)

frye

yeah, there's an entire generation of comics people who came outta there. it's where KSD and Fraction met iirc and where Fraction's pen name came from.

all that other stuff is good as hell too and there's times where I really think Megg & Mogg really is the Best Comic

PsychBat!

Banned
The people who shit one her from the second she was announce and weren't willing to give her a shot. she imo has proved that she is more than worthy of the part. But that's just opinion. She was easily the best part of bvs.
Well the reason people bashed was was more to do with her physicality and her acting chops.

And we have never seen her do a movie where she has to carry the entire story, so the latter (acting chops) is still up in the air.

Messi

Well the reason people bashed was was more to do with her physicality and her acting chops.

And we have never seen her do a movie where she has to carry the entire story, so the latter (acting chops) is still up in the air.

She carried the trainwreck that was BvS for me.

Einchy

Finished chapter 2 of The Metabarons, wow, it's fucking incredible. I really wish I had learned about this sooner.

I've got The Incal on its way but now I need to get Before The Incal, After the Incal and The Technopriests, wish they weren't so pricey.

I've noticed a lot of talk about Incal and Metabarons recently. Is there any particular reason people are getting into it right now, or just random?

I know for me, a friend wanted to borrow that stuff after seeing Jodorowsky's Dune.

Einchy

I've noticed a lot of talk about Incal and Metabarons recently. Is there any particular reason people are getting into it right now, or just random?

I know for me, a friend wanted to borrow that stuff after seeing Jodorowsky's Dune.

Personally I had seen some talk about The Incal few years ago and it was a comic I wanted to get but had never gotten around to getting it, and I also knew about The Metabarons but aside from googling some images, I never bothered to look into it much until I watched Jodorowsky's dune, after that, I knew I had to get them both.

Is Metabarons Genesis: Castaka included in the big Metabarons collection or is that a separate book?

[edit]

So it's

The Incal
Before The Incal
The Final Incal

The Metabarons
Castaka
Weapons of Metabaron

The Technopriests

Megalex

That's a lot of stuff.

Dat fresh list smell. Mmmmm.

Action Comics 960 better go somewhere this week or it's gettin dropped
Batgirl 1
Detective Comics 937
Flash 3
Titans 1
Wonder Woman 3

ROM 1 FUCK YEAH
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 60

Drifter 13
East of West 28 yaassss
Mechanism 1

ANAD Avengers 12
Black Panther 4
Captain Hydra: Steve Rogers 3
Captain Marvel 7
Civil War II 4
Extraordinary X-Men 12
Mighty Thor 9
Mockingbird 5
Ms. Marvel 9
New Avengers 14
Old Man Logan 9
Unbeatable Squirrel Girl 10
Uncanny Avengers 11
Venom Space Knight 10

Hooooo shit what a week!! New East of West! New Bendis War! Two new books starring robots including M'FING ROM! New Squirrel Girl Mockingbird Ms. Marvel JaneThor Panther gahhhh I can't contain it. Fucking. hype. And best of all no new Tom King books.

also, the Comixology booth has these trading cards with creators' faces on them and they have promo codes on the back. Tbh I think they're real cool and i imagine it's weird and cool for these comic book people to sign their own trading card

yeah, I've read some of the strips online here and there on his tumblr, they're pretty rad. I bought the book at the show, though, i'm stoked to dig in.

(he also had a CMX card!)

Nice, I figured it'd be up your alley. Don't forget to get In Amsterdam once you finish that.

yeah, there's an entire generation of comics people who came outta there. it's where KSD and Fraction met iirc and where Fraction's pen name came from.

all that other stuff is good as hell too and there's times where I really think Megg & Mogg really is the Best Comic

It's wild, but I like that it's probably why Humphries continually gets a lotta work, despite... varying levels of quality

M&M really goes places, from what i've read

Just went through all the variants...I think Jem is my favorite. Some missed opportunities here though! No Fear and Loathing variant? Strawberry Shortcake? Come on IDW.

IT WAS JUST SEX FOR GOD'S SAKE

Man conventions are way more fun to follow when you don't spend all weekend having bad days at work.

Oh well, at least I can come home and get greeted with cool news. And re-watch JLU. Remember when "Double Date" was supposed to be a Birds of Prey episode? Literally my only disappointment with that show.
Legion trailer. Not sure what to think yet.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pep_HiCqYJA&sns
Seems cool
Looks pretty cool but he's not Scottish which bothers me more than it should. Nice to see it's not another procedural show lol
Well we don't really know the structure. I'm betting each episode is a different personality
Interesting note comparing that Inh vs X pic to the latest solicits: Medusa
has a full head of hair. I guess it grows back fast. I actually expected her to be out of the picture for awhile.
In the Jenkins/Lee run, Maximus cuts off all her hair and it doesn't take too long to grow back out. I assume it's a perk of her power.

Brie Larson confirmed as Carol

Kurt Russel plays
Ego The Living Planet
in GotG Vol.2 lolwhut
My god it's amazing.
But where is Cosmo? The best Guardian? :(
Was Cosmo ever technically a Guardian? He helped out and helped found the Annihilators. Beyond that was he ever actually a member?
She was always the most powerful of the group. Writers never really knew how to write her powers well if I recall.
I always figured Johnny was the most powerful considering he's a human sun.

Was Cosmo ever technically a Guardian? He helped out and helped found the Annihilators. Beyond that was he ever actually a member?

Well, "membership" was always kind of a loose term during the DnA years, but he was definitely around often enough I would say he was a member during War of Kings and even for a few issues after that (he fought Kang with them).

I always figured Johnny was the most powerful considering he's a human sun.

Nah it's Sue. She has pulled off some ridiculous feats with her force field projection abilities. Protected all the anti-reg heroes from Ragnarok's lightning during Civil War. Shrugged off a hit from Mjolnir. Manipulated an energy field surrounding Manhattan put there by Galactus. Got nuked during Infinity War and said "lol nah." Got the team through a black hole. Made a Celestial flinch.

Her weakness is when she's doing the really crazy stuff she can't maintain them for too long (like one hit from Mjolnir didn't do a thing but by the third hit or so she was out), but Johnny's ability to go supernova is usually pretty limited too.

Also Doom has acknowledged it's Sue so that basically makes it official.

I feel like OT comic threads exist solely to make me feel bad avout the things I like. Inhumans, Bendis, Whedon (okay that one's more generalized, but still), Geoff Johns...oh when will it end?
Well, "membership" was always kind of a loose term during the DnA years, but he was definitely around often enough I would say he was a member during War of Kings and even for a few issues after that (he fought Kang with them).
I suppose. It's just that he never has any logs with Mantis and noone ever outright states he's part of the group. Even he only refers to himself as chief of Knowhere's security.

Nah it's Sue. She has pulled off some ridiculous feats with her force field projection abilities. Protected all the anti-reg heroes from Ragnarok's lightning during Civil War. Shrugged off a hit from Mjolnir. Manipulated an energy field surrounding Manhattan put there by Galactus. Got nuked during Infinity War and said "lol nah." Got the team through a black hole. Made a Celestial flinch.

Her weakness is when she's doing the really crazy stuff she can't maintain them for too long (like one hit from Mjolnir didn't do a thing but by the third hit or so she was out), but Johnny's ability to go supernova is usually pretty limited too.

Also Doom has acknowledged it's Sue so that basically makes it official.
Well then. So when's blue-eyed Benji getting his power-up?

PsychBat!

Banned
I feel like OT comic threads exist solely to make me feel bad avout the things I like. Inhumans, Bendis, Whedon (okay that one's more generalized, but still), Geoff Johns...oh when will it end?

Nah

They exist to bring in people who generalize how weird comics can be and repeatedly say "this is why I don't read comics".

The worst.

So in light of it all just being sex for god's sake, how is Gail Simone's Batgirl run? I assume good?
Nah

They exist to bring in people who generalize how weird comics can be and repeatedly say "this is why I don't read comics".

The worst.
God it's so upsetting. I feel like just going off: "Like why don't you actually pick up a comic? "Too weird." Fuck you! You probably play JRPGs"

What's more upsetting is when I mention around my extended family that I like comics and they go, "you're just like Sheldon!"

Man fuck y'all motherfuckers

Well then. So when's blue-eyed Benji getting his power-up?

Poor ol' Ben. Whenever there is a discussion about who is the most powerful member of the Fantastic Four he rarely even gets mentioned. And his power is easily the worst, oh I get to be made of rocks. Forever. Whotta revoltin development.

I look at the current GotG lineup and think to myself, who is the weakest, it's gotta be Ben or Peter and it's close

So in light of it all just being sex for god's sake, how is Gail Simone's Batgirl run? I assume good?

Surprisingly no, not really. You could feel the hand of editorial hovering over that book pretty much all the time. I noped out after Death of the Family.

Poor ol' Ben. Whenever there is a discussion about who is the most powerful member of the Fantastic Four he rarely even gets mentioned. And his power is easily the worst, oh I get to be made of rocks. Forever. Whotta revoltin development.

I look at the current GotG lineup and think to myself, who is the weakest, it's gotta be Ben or Peter and it's close
Remember how, on multiple occassions, he could change between rock and human forms? And for some reason he keeps losing that power?

Surprisingly no, not really. You could feel the hand of editorial hovering over that book pretty much all the time. I noped out after Death of the Family.
That's disappointing to hear. I kinda wanted to read a Barbara story, but I'll be honest: that's the only one I wanted. That or Simone's Birds of Prey run. I'll check out the first trade and see how I feel.

Remember how, on multiple occassions, he could change between rock and human forms? And for some reason he keeps losing that power?

Well, it's important that he's a living reminder that Reed Richards is a reckless asshole, can't have him being happy or living a normal life or anything

That's disappointing to hear. I kinda wanted to read a Barbara story, but I'll be honest: that's the only one I wanted. That or Simone's Birds of Prey run. I'll check out the first trade and see how I feel.

The best Babs story by a landslide is Batgirl: Year One, check that out if you haven't already

PsychBat!

Banned
God it's so upsetting. I feel like just going off: "Like why don't you actually pick up a comic? "Too weird." Fuck you! You probably play JRPGs"

What's more upsetting is when I mention around my extended family that I like comics and they go, "you're just like Sheldon!"

Man fuck y'all motherfuckers

tfaae9b_zimbabwe_zpsc4e16690.png

Top Bottom