• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| July 2016. Everyone Loves A Hero, Everyone Loves You

He trashed The Outhousers after they wrote an article insulting him over winning an Eisner and he moved on quick.
I'm only passingly familiar with that site. That's one of those sites I see linked to a lot by those types on Twitter that are in a perpetual state of outrage.

AexfMGL.gif

Megatron

Just placed my third order on Barnes and noble's web site. Now I'm trying to place the fourth, literally seconds later and the site is down, lol. That may be for the best for my wallet... But damnit, I want those three other books!

Tom.

Had Robbie sales rivaled that of Kamala, he would still have an ongoing. Silk is lucky because her sales are good enough to keep going.

But yeah, the diverse thing rings hollow when Runaways or Young Avengers are split apart and what happened to the Academy kids after Undercover?

I mean, putting Wiccan and Hulkling on a team was a really huge deal. That seemed like a big step forward, and the sales on New Avengers, while not in the same league as Hickman, still seemed to be pretty good.

A year after their debut they are sidelining those characters and I still get kinda mad when I think about it. They are sidelining those characters for no logical reason, any possible explanation they come up with for that will be dumb. It makes all of their talk about diversity seem really fucking cynical and cheap.

And yes it would be Tom

Marvel fans, smh

Anything good Marvel does always has low sales numbers.

smh every time I look at sales on Vision

So I know that spoiler is dumb, but is anyone going to see The Killing Joke? I'm going to go with a friend tomorrow to see it at the theater.

It'll be a cold day in hell I'll tell you that much

SDCC just closed so I went to my shuttle, got on, and started to zone out as I prepared myself to go back to my hotel. As more people boarded the bus, I move my backpack in case someone needs a seat. When someone finally sat next to me, we exchanged looks and immediately recognized one another.
130,000+ people, 4 days, multiple shuttle routes and I run into Serpentine! Hope you don't mind me posting this photo.

I spent more money this year than in previous years. Nothing on comics though.

That's awesome!! Hope you guys are both having a blast.

BrightLightLava

Unconfirmed Member
I would LOVE to see Flash season 3 end with Barry dying, and season 4 having Wally take over the series for good.

This Wally doesn't have much of a personality yet (because they gave his to Barry) and I like Grant Guston enough to disagree with this. It would sure be interesting though.

Well this could be interesting.
I like what I'm hearing
So I reading an interview for IvX and they reveal that
scumbag Beast
is going to be the one that sparks the conflict lol.
So Civil War 2 followed by Death of X followed by IvX followed by the Trial of Hank McCoy? Plus, didn't Lemire say Tempus would be coming back?

WE FUCKING THERE
SOMEBODY ONCE TOLD ME IT WAS SEX FOR GOD'S SAKE
I DON'T CARE!
Tara Strong is a lovely human bean
who are those movie adaptation comics for
Same people who read movie novelizations
Word on the street is that Hank McCoy had sex with the CIA on a roof.
<_<

>_>

IT WAS JUST SEX FOR GOD'S SAKE
So after thinking about this a little bit more, I'm excited to see where this all goes.

I mean, this is clearly Marvel capitalizing on the neurosis that there is a conspiracy out there to kill the X-men because of some corporate overlords trying to reign in profits made from mainstream audiences.

However, this is comics. Not the movies, nor the toys and although all those markets have some semblance influence over each other, where comics have found the most success is in the stories they tell.

I think there is a completely valid and compelling story to tell. What happens when the oppressed (the most common modern analogy for the X-men) meet the feared (what could be a very compelling analogy for the Inhumans)? Although they have more in common, there is a distinction that could lead to some awesome storytelling.

If only they could figure out a way to create someone who is both an inhuman and a mutant...
I'm so jacked it's not even funny
Atta boy
X-Men-92-1-Cover-a5096.jpg

Reeeeaaaaadddd iiiiitttt
A new issue hasn't dropped for a month or so, though...Or is one supposed to be dropping this week?
DC going against its fanbase of 35-year white dudes
HEY...I'm only 24...
Looks like this got overlooked. Quantum Mechanix doing a bunch of new Q-Fig pieces...
I NEED IT
Is that Henry Cavill?
This Wally doesn't have much of a personality yet (because they gave his to Barry) and I like Grant Guston enough to disagree with this. It would sure be interesting though.
His personality is "Barry's a punk-ass bitch." So naturally, I liked him. But not enough to keep me watching.

Megatron

Well, kid flash wasnt much of a character at first either. I haven't seen Wally on the show yet, so I can't say. Would be cool and super original. Wally was the best flash. Barry is like Hal. Just super boring.They should have left him dead and either stuck with Wally or moved to a gen 4 Flash (I'm not counting Bart's five minutes)

Man JLU is still just good. I'll never not catch feels at Wally going full Speed Force.

Also just finished Thanos: The Infinity Revelation. No idea what the fuck I just read. Loved every moment.

SteveWD40

Completely random question, I am just catching up on TDK:3 Master Race (will spoiler in case):

So, Hal Jordan is DK:2 was essentially a god, it made reference to the fact he didn't need a ring anymore ("he used to need a ring, now he is one), that he had created his own reality through a wornhole etc... he turns up and Deus Ex Machina's the entire plot. He essentially seemed Doc Manhattan levels of power.

Then, he turns up in DK:3 and has his hand burnt off by a random Kryptonian...

Like what the actual fuck? did he lose all that power? I thought he didn't need a ring?

The story isn't done yet so it may explain this, but I can't get my head round it.

Maybe it's just Frank Miller.

GhaleonEB

Not sure if this is the right place to ask, but I thought I'd give it a shot. My daughter is really into the Marvel films, and seems interested in the comics, but she does not know where to start. She has a birthday coming up and I was wondering if there were any compendiums or TPB's that might make for a good entry point for a 14 year old into the comics; she'd be starting from zero. She'd be interested in more recent timelines, not the really old classics. Looking for something for her to dip her toes in and see if it's something she wants to go deeper into. (As an example, I've heard good things about this Guardians of the Galaxy TPB, but I don't know if that's a good starting point.)

Any help/pointers would be appreciated!

I've heard good things about this Guardians of the Galaxy TPB, but I don't know if that's a good starting point.)

There's actually an omnibus of the entire Abnett / Lanning run that just came out, but yeah, you're better off picking up a variety of Vol.1's until you hone in on what she likes specifically. I would also try her on books like Ms. Marvel and Captain Marvel. Unbeatable Squirrel Girl and Spider-Woman are also fun reads.

Getting into comics can be a bit overwhelming, but it's best to just pick up books that pique her interest and go from there. Keep in mind, Marvel LOVES renumbering, so you may come across several trades from a series that are all labeled Vol.1, but are actually all different story arcs. Just ask if you need help deciphering which are which.

If you're picking up a bunch of stuff, take a look at InStockTrades for some deep discounts, and free shipping over $50.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
Not sure if this is the right place to ask, but I thought I'd give it a shot. My daughter is really into the Marvel films, and seems interested in the comics, but she does not know where to start. She has a birthday coming up and I was wondering if there were any compendiums or TPB's that might make for a good entry point for a 14 year old into the comics; she'd be starting from zero. She'd be interested in more recent timelines, not the really old classics. Looking for something for her to dip her toes in and see if it's something she wants to go deeper into. (As an example, I've heard good things about this Guardians of the Galaxy TPB, but I don't know if that's a good starting point.)

I'd suggest looking into these.

Thor and Hawkguy can get a bit bloody and violenty but it's nothing that you don't see on primetime TV.

I'd suggest looking into these.

Thor and Hawkguy can get a bit bloody and violenty but it's nothing that you don't see on primetime TV.

Pretty much perfect suggestions.

If she likes the Cap movies, definitely introduce her to Brubaker's Captain America series. There seems to be an "Ultimate Collection": https://www.amazon.com/dp/0785143416/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Waid's Daredevil
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00DP1E8KE/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Soule's She Hulk
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00NAHL1A8/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
Would you guys say God of Thunder is maybe a bit too dark for a 14 year old?

If you don't mind getting her a Thor comic that's metal as fuck, then you should also look into that, it's written by the person who also writes the current Lady Thor run and it's one of the best comics I've read, be it Marvel or other, it's all around fantastic.

Comixology is having a Superior Foes sale. Certain Carnage books are on sale as well.

Already have the Superior Foes omni. They have a Star Wars sale running too, but it's not on any of the recent stuff (within 6 issues or so). Otherwise I'd have partaken. lol Marvel

Marvel's catalogue for first third of next year is out.

http://images.abovethetreeline.com/ea/TW/pdfs/MARBKPREVIEW2013011_lowres.pdf

This looks interesting.

Lots of other stuff too.

John Byrne Alpha Flight Omnibus - $100 - 1248 pages (!)

Daredevil by Waid Omnibus - $100 for the NYC part of the run. Depending on how much the second omnibus costs (I am assuming $75), the OHCs and omnibuses may end up costing the same. My mistake. This is just the first 27 issues, not 36. Omnibus 2 will also be $100 then, making the OHCs a much better value.

Daredevil by Brubaker Omnibus v1 - $100 (reprint)

GOTG Classic Omnibus - $100.

X-Men Legacy: Legion Omnibus - $75 (24 issues).

I dig Age of Ultron. I think they needed another pass at the script to make Ultron's motivations more intelligible, and it's clear that some damage was done in the editing room, but other than that, I love that movie.

TheFlow

Banned
Marvel's catalogue for first third of next year is out.

http://images.abovethetreeline.com/ea/TW/pdfs/MARBKPREVIEW2013011_lowres.pdf

This looks interesting.

Lots of other stuff too.

John Byrne Alpha Flight Omnibus - $100 - 1248 pages (!)

Daredevil by Waid Omnibus - $100 for the NYC part of the run. Depending on how much the second omnibus costs (I am assuming $75), the OHCs and omnibuses may end up costing the same. My mistake. This is just the first 27 issues, not 36. Omnibus 2 will also be $100 then, making the OHCs a much better value.

Daredevil by Brubaker Omnibus v1 - $100 (reprint)

GOTG Classic Omnibus - $100.

X-Men Legacy: Legion Omnibus - $75 (24 issues).

Honestly Daredevil fans are winning right now. All his runs are being reprinted. From stan lee, to miller, to waid. All we need left is Bendis.

Honestly Daredevil fans are winning right now. All his runs are being reprinted. From stan lee, to miller, to waid. All we need left is Bendis.
I don't think Bendis DD holds up. I'm sure many will disagree, though.

I have the original oversized HCs for that run, but haven't tried to get rid of them yet. Pretty sure at least one of them is signed by Maleev.

Owzers

Great news today, Trump up 5% nationally in a new poll. Bernie finding out how rigged the system is, will probably endorse Trump tonight at his convention speech ( and if he doesn't you know he secretly does). And on top of all this I read New Avengers #5.

New Avengers #5: I'm sure this series gets better eventually.

TheFlow

Banned
I don't think Bendis DD holds up. I'm sure many will disagree, though.

I have the original oversized HCs for that run, but haven't tried to get rid of them yet. Pretty sure at least one of them is signed by Maleev.

never read it, but I know the omnibus is highly sought out

Top Bottom