• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| July 2016. Everyone Loves A Hero, Everyone Loves You

TheFlow

Banned
I mean when you think about it,
that whole dialogue exchange Coolgirl has with Lottie in the bathroom was suspicious. Coolgirl walks into the bathroom and is all calm and smirking and talking about Lottie's new nickname while being completely unphased from Lottie's panic attack.

Then again in Scott Pilgrim everyone turns into coins when defeated and it's presented as normal so O'Malley could be fucking with us.
I like your idea better. It would explain cool girl lining everything snot girl does

Zombine

Banned
Finally got all of Birthright for cheap! Gonna read it today on my birthday.

Also, that Suicide Squad thread is very mean spirited and kinda vile.

Zombine

Banned
I mean...most of you guys know that I'm a spoiler phobe, but I'm not anti-spoiler. I believe that in fairness, people should be able to discuss what they want, but within the confines of what is reasonable for everyone in general.

Yes, that spoiler is truthfully at the end of the day minimal, but I believe that it should have a different title with a spoiler alert so those who are comfortable with it know what they're in for, and those who don't want to know are unaffected. From the very first moment I don't think that the thread had any other purpose other than to rile up those who are anti spoiler. From the troll-ish title to the thread almost instantly being a collection of people flinging insults at those who are anti spoiler...it's just a bad look all around.

BrightLightLava

Unconfirmed Member
I mean...most of you guys know that I'm a spoiler phobe, but I'm not anti-spoiler. I believe that in fairness, people should be able to discuss what they want, but within the confines of what is reasonable for everyone in general.

Yes, that spoiler is truthfully at the end of the day minimal, but I believe that it should have a different title with a spoiler alert so those who are comfortable with it know what they're in for, and those who don't want to know are unaffected. From the very first moment I don't think that the thread had any other purpose other than to rile up those who are anti spoiler. From the troll-ish title to the thread almost instantly being a collection of people flinging insults at those who are anti spoiler...it's just a bad look all around.

Agreed. For me, it's annoying that they put the spoiler in the title, which completely removes people's ability to choose whether they engage with it or not.

I don't really care about spoilers that much (years of accidentally spoiling myself when trying to look things up on line will do that to you) but I get that other people care more about it than I do. It's about respecting other people, not arguing about what counts as a spoiler and what doesn't.

Zombine

Banned
And, like I said, the nature of the thread is absolutely fucking toxic. All these weird-name lurker/burner accounts came out of the woodwork and legit started flinging insults from moment 1.

TheFlow

Banned

I agree that the thread title should of been a lil different with a spoiler warning in title

Zombine

Banned
I agree that the thread title should of been a lil different with a spoiler warning in title

Suicide Squad Easter Egg Revealed In Video [Spoilers]

^

Very fair, everyone assumes that a movie will have some form of Easter egg, and those who are still curious can find out what it is and those who want to see it themselves can disregard the thread.

Plot spoilers probably would be. It's just an easter egg but the title should have been worded better.

I get the impression the thread was intentionally worded that way.

Edit: What Zombine said. I mean, hitting the spoiler button or making a non-spoiler title isn't that hard.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
Finally got all of Birthright for cheap! Gonna read it today on my birthday.

Also, that Suicide Squad thread is very mean spirited and kinda vile.

right? people started shitting on me instantly

i was like oh right, thats why i come here for comic related talk

TheFlow

Banned
Suicide Squad Easter Egg Revealed In Video [Spoilers]

^

Very fair, everyone assumes that a movie will have some form of Easter egg, and those who are still curious can find out what it is and those who want to see it themselves can disregard the thread.

Now that is Waugh better of a tittle

The thing is...nobody watches these movies for plot details. No one comes home raving about how cool it was when the villain explained his motivations. The things that give a movie life are the moments. Those are the things you come away excited to talk about. So I think people that say "it's just an Easter egg" can fuck off.

Also, people are trying to have it both ways with that thread. They say it's not a big deal, but if it's not a big deal, why does it need a thread? Lock that whole thing down if it's really that negligible. If it's cool enough to warrant a thread, it's cool enough to cover up.

Holy shit you guys weren't kidding, that thread is toxic

Crazy to me that the reaction to "uh spoilers" is basically "FUCK YOU" from a dozen people if not more. Some of those posters I really like too =/

Wytches is coming back soon(ish)! Much excite
The teaser for the return was so cool.

4883473-wytchesseason2hi+(1).jpg

The thing is...nobody watches these movies for plot details. No one comes home raving about how cool it was when the villain explained his motivations. The things that give a movie life are the moments. Those are the things you come away excited to talk about. So I think people that say "it's just an Easter egg" can fuck off.

I didn't know about it either until I read that thread, but personally I'd be more pissed off if someone spoiled the events of the film and who lived/died.

Info that's released officially is usually fair game but it could have been hidden in the title. I can understand why people are a little pissed off.

Owzers

Just about ready to give up on the Preacher tv show

Just about to start the first episode of Preacher, I keep getting distracted by Overwatch and politics.

Also, Happy Birthday Zombine and the other person who said something about a birthday a couple days ago.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
Wytches bought.

So the books I got from this sale are....

The Fade Out
God Hates Astronauts
Plutona
Rumble
Wytches

I'd say I got some nice variety there.

Oh hey, Wytches is part of that Image sale. If you like Stranger Things, I think you will like Wytches.

I liked Wytches but I stopped after 4 issues or so. Might pick up what I missed from the sale. $0.99 each, I assume?

I need to finish Stranger Things today. Only 3 episodes left. :(

HAPPY BIRTHDAY ZOMBEEN

My birthday is a week from tomorrow

Info that's released officially is usually fair game but it could have been hidden in the title. I can understand why people are a little pissed off.
The argument that "it's in official promotional material, so it's fine" doesn't really fly. The one and only objective of promotional material is to put butts in seats. To tell tickets. To make money. And to accomplish that goal, the studio has has no qualms about spoiling details that would be better experienced in context, or even to willfully misrepresent the film. Preserving the ideal experience for the audience is not a priority or even a secondary objective.

Go back and listen to The Official Lost Podcast sometime, and one of the recurring things on that show is Lindelof and Cuse expressing frustrating at things the network chose to use in promos. Just recently, Simon Pegg was out there telling people not to watch that final trailer for Star Trek Beyond. In Iron Man 3, the action sequence with all the old suits joining the fight was featured regularly in trailers, but when you watch the actual movie, you see that it was conceived and cut for that to work better as a surprise. You only see one suit on camera at first, then the shot expands to reveal an entire army. It's a cool moment that is rendered inert by commercials, so that clearly goes against the intent of the creators and undermines the audience's ability to have the best experience with that scene.

But the magic thing about this debate is that no one has to agree with a single word I'm saying here, because spoiler tags exist, and if people don't mind this stuff, there are no rules against posting it and nothing stopping people from choosing to uncover spoilers and read them. But denying that choice to people who do care is pretty shitty.

JTripper

That Suicide Squad thread is gross.

I registered on the WB waiting list for the NYC Suicide Squad premiere. Has anyone had any luck getting tickets to big premieres like that?

Top Bottom