• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| July 2016. Everyone Loves A Hero, Everyone Loves You

I was clicking through Image's SDCC Sale, and I have a question.

Does anyone read Elephantmen?

I've never heard anyone talking about it. How did it make it to 70+ issues?

I read it for a long time. About to jump back in. I liked it quite a bit. It's basically about these big animal people that were bio-engineered for war, but now have to find their way in society after there's no more use for them as soldiers. Of course, there's a subtext in the book about racial issues, but it's a unique way of doing so.

Owzers

I think, now hear me out on this one, we should read comics.

Doesn't sound bad right?

It's just going to be some disappointing Marvel All New All Different book, might as well wait for Marvel Now.

my zatanna figure is not in my next dcbs shipment....

edit: Checked previewsworld: shipping update is now 8/31 ffffffffffffffffffffffffuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuun.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
But ya know...when I had good hair nobody gave a flying fuck. Girls would never go "hey Zombeen, I really dig your thick hair." But now that I have a buzzed down head and a full beard they come up to me and touch it and talk about it.

word, at least my hair had the good sense to wait until i was dating my wife to start falling out

BrightLightLava

Unconfirmed Member
I read it for a long time. About to jump back in. I liked it quite a bit. It's basically about these big animal people that were bio-engineered for war, but now have to find their way in society after there's no more use for them as soldiers. Of course, there's a subtext in the book about racial issues, but it's a unique way of doing so.

Huh, interesting. I can't say I've ever heard anything about it before.

Boogiepop

Finished the DC One Million Omnibus last night, and that was a weird one. Like, it was largely a mound of one-shots of vastly varying quality. But the main plot-line of the book was nice, so that was good, and to be fair it doesn't feel like a bundle of tie-ins where they belong far more with their proper series rather then the event, and at least some of it was important for adding to the feel of the whole thing. But yeah, the ideal reading of this whole thing would definitely need some trimming. Like, if nothing else the Legion stuff was straight bad, and there were a number of other iffy things. But like I said, it varied, so there was definitely plenty of good to go with the bad.

And with that, probably/maybe the most intimidating item in my backlog has been cleared. (Well, I still do have the omnibi for Gotham Central and Doom Patrol sitting there, but if nothing else the fact that they should be consistent (and amazing from what I hear) should make them a little easier to tackle than this one was).

PsychBat!

Banned
So I wanna get started on some books that I feel like I'm missing out on but don't know which one to begin with. And if Black Science is worth continuing.

Low
Lazarus
Sex
Sex Criminals
Velvet
Shutter
Tokyo Ghost
The Wicked + The Divine
Descender
Cry Havoc
Spread
Paper Girls
Nailbiter

I also gladly accept any recommendations explaining why I shouldn't read one or several of these.

Huh, interesting. I can't say I've ever heard anything about it before.

It's a pretty long-running series. Doesn't usually get a ton of press. They used to release their trades as these huge glorious hardcovers, but have since switched to TPBs. It's a good book, though. A little violent and erotic at times, so it's definitely a mature readers title.

frye

So I wanna get started on some books that I feel like I'm missing out on but don't know which one to begin with. And if Black Science is worth continuing.

Low
Lazarus
Sex
Sex Criminals
Velvet
Shutter
Tokyo Ghost
The Wicked + The Divine
Descender
Cry Havoc
Spread
Paper Girls
Nailbiter

I also gladly accept any recommendations explaining why I shouldn't read one or several of these.

don't read Sex: it's bad
read Velvet: it's good

Happy birthday Zombine~

@Spoilers and mods: Do we have a mod who visits this thread every once in a while? Feels like at least one mod should be a comic reader.

@DC One Million: Is there a collection of it all on CMX?

I would give my right leg for a way to sort your CMX wish list by price.

Btw, I just got a flash flood warning here in NYC so I guess I'll read some more comics instead of shopping and walking.

TheFlow

Banned

Low
Lazarus
Sex
Sex Criminals
Velvet
Shutter
Tokyo Ghost
The Wicked + The Divine
Descender
Cry Havoc
Spread
Paper Girls
Nailbiter

Low and sex criminals are my favorite on that list

happy birthday old-man zombine

in other news, Joelle Jones(Lady-Killer) is now OFFICIALLY DC Exclusive!

LauraBraga1.jpg

I'm sure everyone's already read some version of this, but Timm's explanation of the Killing Joke thing makes it 1000x creepier.

http://www.comicbookresources.com/a...-batman-batgirl-sex-scene-in-the-killing-joke

He's talking about the relationship by talking about Bruce's "parental skills" and Barbara as "a kid".

Like, I think it's possible to make that relationship work depending on how old Bruce is supposed to be and whether we're in a continuity where she was with Dick first. And even then it's a mistake to have a scene of boning. But Timm isn't even defending it as being about peers that have an age difference, he's talking about them as Bruce being a surrogate parent.

WTF?!

It's seriously wanting to have your cake and eat it too.

Bruce gets to be the mentor/father figure but "Barbara is totally a grown woman who can make her own decision gaiz!" You can't have both without the uncomfortable subtext.

BrightLightLava

Unconfirmed Member
Really Like: The Wicked + The Divine (One of my favorite books on the stands with my favorite creative team in the biz)

Sex Criminals (Caveat: I haven't read the third arc yet)

Paper Girls (and there's only 6 or 7 out so far so it's easy to catch up)

Didn't Like: Low (Cool concept, but it didn't hit me in any meaningful way.)

ElNarez

Banned
Sex Criminals (Caveat: I haven't read the third arc yet)

I very much enjoyed it. Without the delays between each issue it might even be better than it was. Crazy how delays will keep people from being just. Still, great book, still necessary because of how good it is at having discussions around sex. Helps that I'm totally in the audience it is made for. You know, figuring things out about everything, sometimes feeling like I'm a mistake of God's. Plus those variant covers were great for fuck's sake.

tee hee

OMG OMG OMG this is the week where we see if that International Iron Man rumor is true.

Gotta get me some of these so I can walk around after Bendis shits on everything:

2XGFCWi.jpg

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
I very much enjoyed it. Without the delays between each issue it might even be better than it was. Crazy how delays will keep people from being just. Still, great book, still necessary because of how good it is at having discussions around sex. Helps that I'm totally in the audience it is made for. You know, figuring things out about everything, sometimes feeling like I'm a mistake of God's. Plus those variant covers were great for fuck's sake.

tee hee

I definitely am

1d0012968313ac48e4403e22c8976dac.jpg

BrightLightLava

Unconfirmed Member

tee hee

Really looking forward to it. The book was one of the last few that I'd been collecting in physical trades, but with this sale I switched over to digital (Saga and East of West too). I bought a bunch of things this week, though, so I'm not sure when I'll get to it.

On that note, the first arc of Doom Patrol is bonkers good. Interesting to see how Crazy Jane was Legion before Legion.

TheFlow

Banned
Really looking forward to it. The book was one of the last few that I'd been collecting in physical trades, but with this sale I switched over to digital (Saga and East of West too). I bought a bunch of things this week, though, so I'm not sure when I'll get to it.

On that note, the first arc of Doom Patrol is bonkers good. Interesting to see how Crazy Jane was Legion before Legion.
Yea that first arc of doom patrol is very ambitious

Top Bottom