• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| July 2016. Everyone Loves A Hero, Everyone Loves You

PsychBat!

Banned
tumblr_mwwigfXaSt1qivzfyo1_500.gif

I got let go from my unpaying job.

It was reviewing comics.

Green Lanterns #3 was poop. Read Star Wars #21 after and that was dope, though. It's hard to make Stormtroopers that interesting but Aaron did a good job humanizing them.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
Went to a local LCS yesterday for the first time in a decade. The only Image title they had was the Walking Dead. So needless to say I didn't stay very long. There are two more in town but neither one is open on Sunday's.

Owzers

Hmmm the one time i miss Raw ( okay i almost always miss most of raw), these last few democratic convention speeches have been fantastic. Michelle Obama 2016.

okay maybe not, but still a good speech.

TheFlow

Banned
Very tempted to start collecting funkos but I don't wanna go down that path lol

Edit: there is an unmasked black panther funko... Might buy.

Zombine

Banned
Man, I thought Sasha broke her neck after that dive.

Insane.

...then that match was followed up with this shit lol

Very tempted to start collecting funkos but I don't wanna go down that path lol

Edit: there is a unmasked black panther funko... Might buy.

Here's the thing about Funko...don't collect everything. Just cherry pick from franchises you like. I have no self control and I keep my Pop purchases under control.

If I can do it you can too.

When you buy Pops, it sends the message that ugly things are cool, and Greg Land automatically gets more money and gets assigned to a better book.

Just remembered that I saw Jamie McKelvie do a quick sketch in some girl's sketchbook yesterday (which he never does) and i'm insanely jealous. Also Kieron signed my book and wrote "sorry for ruining your taste!" because I told him that the Singles Club was a huge influence in my taste these last several years

I think my haul came out to be (outside of the ones I posted thursday):
-Megahex HC
-Sacred Heart
-Peepo Choo (just can't get enough of those Felipe Smith comics)
-Nameless HC
-The Art of Bubble Comics HC (Russian artist comp)
-Die Homer (Tyler J Hutchinson)
-Action Hospital (Dave Baker and friends)
-Postal vol. 1
-like a million sketchbooks

I also talked to a bunch of other comics dudes - Si Spurrier and Jeff Stokely, James Tynion IV, Ramon Villalobos, Issac Goodhart and Brian Hill, Dave Baker and Nicole Goux (a publisher's gotta be eyeing her work sometime soon, she's great), Edwin Huang, Simon Hanselmann (he asked me if I had any weed stories from the show floor (i didn't)) and sooo many others. also went to a Matt Fraction spotlight panel (among several others), that guy's fuckin great. plus, I love it when him and Kelly Sue talk about their friendships with Howard Chaykin.

basically, it was lit
VanWinkle is now going to tell me where he got that for $36 and why he didn't tell me when it was that price :(
I bought the X-Statix omni for $35 shipped like two years ago off Ebay. Wasn't even an auction, and it was brand new.

TheFlow

Banned
How much does Gunpla cost you per average month?

haha, gunpla is an expensive(way less expensive that statues/figures) and time consuming hobby but the releases have large gaps based on what you are into have lots of restocks so I am never in a rush to buy them. I buy them in bulk but each kit cost about 45 bucks.

This was back in Feb. only built 2 out these so far.

BIRTHDAY BROS
Yes! I was right. Good times

DCs sale is another N52 DC Rebirth primer. Which I love. After all the damage last weeks SDCC CMX sales were to my wallet I'm rooting for things I either own or have no interest in for a while. Those sales took a lot out of me. Haha

https://www.comixology.com/DC-Universe-Rebirth-101-Part-7-Sale/page/11560?ref=c2l0ZS9pbmRleC90YWJsZXQvc21hbGxDYXJvdXNlbA

Also Marvel Xmen collections sale. A great price for Age of X. Check it out
https://www.comixology.com/X-Men-Collections-Sale/page/11617?ref=c2l0ZS9pbmRleC90YWJsZXQvc21hbGxDYXJvdXNlbA

DCs sale is another N52 DC Rebirth primer. Which I love. After all the damage last weeks SDCC CMX sales were to my wallet I'm rooting for things I either own or have no interest in for a while. Those sales took a lot out of me. Haha

I've been going pretty wild on some of these Rebirth sales, but what's the point after the BOGO? You could already pick up any of these for the same price per issue, right?

If the Black Canary book is good, I might pick up those eight issues. There's nothing else here for me. New 52 Constantine and anything Red Hood related will always a big nope.

Happy birthday Zombine and mreddie!
I've been going pretty wild on some of these Rebirth sales, but what's the point after the BOGO? You could already pick up any of these for the same price per issue, right?

If the Black Canary book is good, I might pick up those eight issues. There's nothing else here for me. New 52 Constantine and anything Red Hood related will always a big nope.
Black Canary was ok. I mostly got it for Annie Wu's art but beyond that I don't think you really need to go out of your way to get it.

Batgirl by Tarr/Stewart/Fletcher was also okayish. It had nice art but was kind of repetitive and the ending was weak.

You can safely skip the sales this week if you're on the fence.

Vibranium

Banned
So Velvet wrapped its major story up. Brubaker says that he has plans for the 80's era of Velvet's life down the line, so we'll be getting more probably next year. Looking forward to his new book too.

Also, I didn't know he's working as a part of the crew for Westworld. That's awesome, glad he's doing so much cool stuff despite my everlasting wish for him to do some more Marvel.

Boogiepop

Bleh, Comixology's Sonic sale is messed up slightly. Was going to grab the latest few issues I needed from the main comic+Universe, and... half of the issues I don't have are "on sale" for full price. Not even in a logical manner, but like it goes so that 1 issue is $1, then the next one is $4, and it's back to $1. Should I... contact something about this to get it fixed? Because I really would like to take advantage of the sale and save a few bucks...

Happy birthday Zombine and mreddie!

Black Canary was ok. I mostly got it for Annie Wu's art but beyond that I don't think you really need to go out of your way to get it.

Batgirl by Tarr/Stewart/Fletcher was also okayish. It had nice art but was kind of repetitive and the ending was weak.

You can safely skip the sales this week if you're on the fence.

Thanks, bud!

Bleh, Comixology's Sonic sale is messed up slightly. Was going to grab the latest few issues I needed from the main comic+Universe, and... half of the issues I don't have are "on sale" for full price. Not even in a logical manner, but like it goes so that 1 issue is $1, then the next one is $4, and it's back to $1. Should I... contact something about this to get it fixed? Because I really would like to take advantage of the sale and save a few bucks...
That's a new sale that technically starts tomorrow, so it's probably not fully updated yet.

Sandfox

Now that I've recovered from Saga I'll probably start reading my Sonic books by doing at least an arc of both the main series and Universe every day.

Also, the trades for Sonic in the sale are more expensive than buying the issues individually AND 20+ issues behind for the current issues so that's trash lol. Sonic Universe also hasn't had a new trade added to Comixology in a year for whatever reason.

Boogiepop

Now that I've recovered from Saga I'll probably start reading my Sonic books by doing at least an arc of both the main series and Universe every day.

Also, the trades for Sonic in the sale are more expensive than buying the issues individually AND 20+ issues behind for the current issues so that's trash lol. Sonic Universe also hasn't had a new trade added to Comixology in a year for whatever reason.

The reason is because Archie has been an absolute mess and hasn't put out the trades for Comixology to put up. Like, the latest round has been on delays for well over a year at this point!

I'm tapped out on sales for a bit. Ended up getting all of BPRD Hell on Earth and Shade the Changing Man. So 142 issues.

I can see there being a Love & Rockets sale before the new volume so that'll be the next one I go for. Need the Palomar stuff and New Stories.

Sandfox

The reason is because Archie has been an absolute mess and hasn't put out the trades for Comixology to put up. Like, the latest round has been on delays for well over a year at this point!

I assumed that was the case, but the wiki lied to me lol. Archie sacrificed the rest of their line to pump out their Riverdale properties and internal struggles. I'd rather have Mega Man over garbage like Betty and Veronica lol.

Messi

If half of Young Animals comics is great to amazing Image is gonna feel that heat.

Why? Image has lots of amazing titles. I'd say those young animal books will sell really well out the gate and then settle into the vertigo sales bracket. Just a guess though. I don't think image has to worry. Just keep doing what they are doing.

Green Lanterns #3
I don't know if Humphries is attempting to be ironic or something with how garbage his dialogue is, but fuck it. I'm done, the art's terrible and so is the writing. The plot is just a series of buzzwords. We out.

The Flash #2
I dunno what it is, but this book is not latching into me. Which is surprising, since the whole readon I got into the Flash more over the years was because I found the Speed Force to be a very interesting piece of mythology. Despite the storyline focusing on it, I can't be bothered to get invested. I'll give it one more issue.

Batgirl and the Birds of Prey: Rebirth #1
b0ZzW.gif

Messi

Green Lanterns #3
I don't know if Humphries is attempting to be ironic or something with how garbage his dialogue is, but fuck it. I'm done, the art's terrible and so is the writing. The plot is just a series of buzzwords. We out.

The Flash #2
I dunno what it is, but this book is not latching into me. Which is surprising, since the whole readon I got into the Flash more over the years was because I found the Speed Force to be a very interesting piece of mythology. Despite the storyline focusing on it, I can't be bothered to get invested. I'll give it one more issue.

Batgirl and the Birds of Prey: Rebirth #1
b0ZzW.gif

Humphries is just a shit writer.

Sandfox

I really don't get why Wally doesn't have a book given what happened in Rebirth and how big the character is both in story and out.

Top Bottom