• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| July 2016. Everyone Loves A Hero, Everyone Loves You

TheFlow

Banned
Green Lanterns #3
I don't know if Humphries is attempting to be ironic or something with how garbage his dialogue is, but fuck it. I'm done, the art's terrible and so is the writing. The plot is just a series of buzzwords. We out.

The Flash #2
I dunno what it is, but this book is not latching into me. Which is surprising, since the whole readon I got into the Flash more over the years was because I found the Speed Force to be a very interesting piece of mythology. Despite the storyline focusing on it, I can't be bothered to get invested. I'll give it one more issue.

Batgirl and the Birds of Prey: Rebirth #1
b0ZzW.gif
Does that mean birds of prey is solid!?

Humphries is just a shit writer.
So I'm gathering. I knew he had a bad rep, but I had never read anything by him previous to this. Now I know why

Also fuck Simon Baz. AGAIN.
I really don't get why Wally doesn't have a book given what happened in Rebirth and how big the character is both in story and out.
I want him to just be Walter West. Just make that his new costume. He's practically there already.
Does that mean birds of prey is solid!?
giphy.gif

Sandfox

So I'm gathering. I knew he had a bad rep, but I had never read anything by him previous to this. Now I know why

Also fuck Simon Baz. AGAIN.

I want him to just be Walter West. Just make that his new costume. He's practically there already.

giphy.gif
You should google the book he wrote called "Our Love is Real". Dude also had Kitty dress up as a giant banana.

Green Arrow #2&3
This book is dooooope. Both artists are great for this, and the villain is horrifying, but cool and interesting. At the same time though, I feel like this villain has been done before. Not with this aesthetic, but still done before. Plus it's a bit on the nose. Still, I am genuinely loving this right now.

One question:
When was Shado a part if the Yakuza? Post Lemire, I assume?
You should google the book he wrote called "Our Love is Real". Dude also had Kitty dress up as a giant banana.

BwwFTKFIQAAMSoZ.jpg

ha ha, she's doing that thing

from the movie

so funny
I'm so confused right now

The Flash #2
I dunno what it is, but this book is not latching into me. Which is surprising, since the whole readon I got into the Flash more over the years was because I found the Speed Force to be a very interesting piece of mythology. Despite the storyline focusing on it, I can't be bothered to get invested. I'll give it one more issue.

The Flash is Trash.

Terrible straight out of the gate. People were praising the art style, the story, whatever...and I'm over here confused as hell. I get differing opinions, but that book is shit. It was my second most hyped book behind Green Arrow, which keeps delivering.

The Flash is Trash.

Terrible straight out of the gate. People were praising the art style, the story, whatever...and I'm over here confused as hell. I get differing opinions, but that book is shit. It was my second most hyped book behind Green Arrow, which keeps delivering.
I don't think it's that bad, but it certainly is near the bottom if only for it being so uninteresting. The art is take it or leave it

VanWinkle

Bought the first 10 issues and #0 of Simone's Batgirl on that CMX sale. Been meaning to read it anyway and I don't really see myself buying the trades anytime soon.

When I get paid on Wednesday I may buy the rest of her run. But let me ask you guys if I need to buy the following "unnecessary" issues:

Night of the Owls tie-in
The four Death of the Family issues
Requiem (tie-in?)
Zero Year tie-in
Gothtopia tie-in
Future's End tie-in

Green Arrow #2&3
This book is dooooope. Both artists are great for this, and the villain is horrifying, but cool and interesting. At the same time though, I feel like this villain has been done before. Not with this aesthetic, but still done before. Plus it's a bit on the nose. Still, I am genuinely loving this right now.

One question:

Man, GA is so good. I'm really happy about that.

GhaleonEB

There's actually an omnibus of the entire Abnett / Lanning run that just came out, but yeah, you're better off picking up a variety of Vol.1's until you hone in on what she likes specifically. I would also try her on books like Ms. Marvel and Captain Marvel. Unbeatable Squirrel Girl and Spider-Woman are also fun reads.

Getting into comics can be a bit overwhelming, but it's best to just pick up books that pique her interest and go from there. Keep in mind, Marvel LOVES renumbering, so you may come across several trades from a series that are all labeled Vol.1, but are actually all different story arcs. Just ask if you need help deciphering which are which.

If you're picking up a bunch of stuff, take a look at InStockTrades for some deep discounts, and free shipping over $50.

I'd suggest looking into these.

Thor and Hawkguy can get a bit bloody and violenty but it's nothing that you don't see on primetime TV.

Pretty much perfect suggestions.

If she likes the Cap movies, definitely introduce her to Brubaker's Captain America series. There seems to be an "Ultimate Collection": https://www.amazon.com/dp/0785143416/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Waid's Daredevil
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00DP1E8KE/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Soule's She Hulk
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00NAHL1A8/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Thanks for the suggestions. I'm grabbing the Ms. Marvel #1, Winter Soldier collection, and Thor #1: Goddess of Thunder as her opening salvo. Some stuff she likes from the movies (Winter Soldier), and stuff she's never seen (Ms. Marvel).

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
Hope she likes them, GhaleonEB.

So, I just finished The Metabarons and The Incal hasn't arrived yet, why even live?
89L4Uzy.png

Thanks for the suggestions. I'm grabbing the Ms. Marvel #1, Winter Soldier collection, and Thor #1: Goddess of Thunder as her opening salvo. Some stuff she likes from the movies (Winter Soldier), and stuff she's never seen (Ms. Marvel).

Oooh great choices.

Winter Soldier could be a little hard to follow at times. That's okay, Wikipedia is a comic reader's best friend, she should get to know that early

Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers #5
So help me god if this book ever becomes bad I don't know what I'll do. It stays winning

Voltron: Legendary Defender #1
A fun tie-in comic. Nothing earth shattering, but certainly not bad. Just fun.

The Paybacks #1
So apparently this is a spinoff book? I dig yhe concept and the first issue did a great job of reeling me in. Looking forward to more.

The Revisionist #2
Well well now...the intrigue rises. Book is dope. Time travel shenanigans are best shenanigans
That actor played Skip Muck in Band of Brothers.
Oh fuck it's been a long ass time since I watched BoB

PsychBat!

Banned
Hey guys, my dad kicked me out of the house for a bit but I'm back. Nothing serious but for my birthday today I decided to show you all several comic book reviews I did for a blog site weeks ago. I wasn't being paid and too many other things kept my anxiety levels way up to even think about writing reviews.

Also has my real name!

Anyways, yeah. I love you guys. You've been there for me and I haven't shown you all an ounce of gratitude, thank you for tolerating my shit posts and my seemingly negative attitude.

So I guess I might be dropping The Punisher :/ Annoys me because I want a damn Punisher book, I want to like it. It's not horrible just seems a little dry, slow or something?

I thought when there was talk of new Punisher book(s) there were two different Punisher titles coming out?

TheFlow

Banned
So I guess I might be dropping The Punisher :/ Annoys me because I want a damn Punisher book, I want to like it. It's not horrible just seems a little dry, slow or something?

I thought when there was talk of new Punisher book(s) there were two different Punisher titles coming out?

you might be thinking of punisher/daredevil

tim1138

Green Arrow #2&3

One question:

I'm so confused right now

Re: your spoiler

She's been tied to the Yakuza since she was created by Mike Grell in the 80s. If I remember correctly, Percy read all of the Grell run as research for Rebirth and said he was going to lean heavily on that to inspire him

The Paybacks #1
So apparently this is a spinoff book? I dig yhe concept and the first issue did a great job of reeling me in. Looking forward to more.

Oh nice I didnt think anyone else was reading this.

Yeah Dark Horse originally did Paybacks ( a 6+- issue series out),, my LCS guy told me basically Dark Horse did not want to do the book anymore, so now Heavy Metal is publishing it.

I love the artist that how I found out about the first mini series. Geoff Shaw, he did Buzzkill.

This is the Dark Horse seriesThe Paybacks. (1st TPB)

Hey guys, my dad kicked me out of the house for a bit but I'm back. Nothing serious but for my birthday today I decided to show you all several comic book reviews I did for a blog site weeks ago. I wasn't being paid and too many other things kept my anxiety levels way up to even think about writing reviews.

Also has my real name!
Happy birthday :) but I don't believe the 'nothing serious' part if it ended up with your dad kicking you out for a hot minute...

I thought this was Wednesday. I got up to pee at about 3:30am, and I grabbed my iPad to buy/read Civil War II #4 before going back to bed, and it wasn't up. :(

VanWinkle

Also has my real name!

Anyways, yeah. I love you guys. You've been there for me and I haven't shown you all an ounce of gratitude, thank you for tolerating my shit posts and my seemingly negative attitude.

Very nice. And happy birthday man. Hope you can make it at least pretty good.

Also has my real name!

Now I know your true name! That means I have power over you!
Re: your spoiler

She's been tied to the Yakuza since she was created by Mike Grell in the 80s. If I remember correctly, Percy read all of the Grell run as research for Rebirth and said he was going to lean heavily on that to inspire him
Oh really? Cool. I might read the Grell run some day.
Oh nice I didnt think anyone else was reading this.

Yeah Dark Horse originally did Paybacks ( a 6+- issue series out),, my LCS guy told me basically Dark Horse did not want to do the book anymore, so now Heavy Metal is publishing it.

I love the artist that how I found out about the first mini series. Geoff Shaw, he did Buzzkill.

This is the Dark Horse seriesThe Paybacks. (1st TPB)
Nice nice. I'll have to check all that out. I dug the first issue.
Justice League Dark featuring The Batman.

13619845_10208708931072617_4031619425368132306_n.jpg

https://youtu.be/cddLDL_kKOU
GOD FUCKING DAMN IT. I KNEW THEY WOULD, BUT I DIDN'T WANT TO BELIEVE.

Although I'm surprised they wouldn't just do the first arc with the Enchantress.

SuperOrez

Hi everyone. I just wanted to vent a bit about Marvel/DC comics a bit and I don't have anyone to really talk to about this kinda stuff.

I subscribed to Marvel Unlimited a few months back and I really am enjoying it but I also find it hard to follow sometimes when a character is so disconnected from their other stories.
For example in the same week we have Captain America captured by a scientist and experimented on and in another title he's chillin with the Avengers getting beat up by a Chitauri. This same kinda stuff goes on in DC. Nothing really flows together until it has to.

Like said I'm enjoying this crazy ride, I'm just having a hard time keeping everything together. Maybe I'm just reading way too much stuff because of unlimited. How do ya'll keep track of everything?

Owzers

The short answer is that you don't keep track of everything. Everything doesn't add up. Never has, never will.

Which is why you write down every time something doesn't add up and you write letters to DC and Marvel going through the timeline.

Because you do keep track, if you don't they win.

Hi. Need some advice. I am currently using an Ipad Air (model 1) 9" wifi 32GB, mainly for reading magazines, comics and carrying some art references (photos, presentations). I am considering an upgrade, and storage space is the msin issue.

Is it worth to upgrade to an Ipad Air 2 9" 64GB? Looking at the Pro I thing it may be too expensive... Anything that I will miss? I wish the Air 2 had a 128GB model but it does not. The expensive Pro 12" is worth?

I was never a big Apple fan (I use Windows Phone!) but since my wife got this Ipad 2 years ago I really like it. Should I stay with Ipads or also consider an Android tablet?

Thanks!

TheFlow

Banned
Hi. Need some advice. I am currently using an Ipad Air (model 1) 9" wifi 32GB, mainly for reading magazines, comics and carrying some art references (photos, presentations). I am considering an upgrade, and storage space is the msin issue.

Is it worth to upgrade to an Ipad Air 2 9" 64GB? Looking at the Pro I thing it may be too expensive... Anything that I will miss? I wish the Air 2 had a 128GB model but it does not. The expensive Pro 12" is worth?

I was never a big Apple fan (I use Windows Phone!) but since my wife got this Ipad 2 years ago I really like it. Should I stay with Ipads or also consider an Android tablet?

Thanks!

the ipad pro 9 inch is currently 100 dollars off at bestbuy. there was a neogaf thread about it.

Thanks!

I don't really see any point in going from the Air to Air 2. I would rather delete and re-download comics than spend just for extra storage.

Now the 12" pro is a different issue. Some people on here have it and really like it.

Owzers

The first six issues of Ellis' Bond comic are dollar in the cmx dynamite sale.

Those are comics.

You could buy those. I'm skeptical on getting them since i tend to dislike property stuff.

Top Bottom