• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| July 2016. Everyone Loves A Hero, Everyone Loves You

The first six issues of Ellis' Bond comic are dollar in the cmx dynamite sale.

Those are comics.

You could buy those. I'm skeptical on getting them since i tend to dislike property stuff.
The first two issues sucked. The art is stiff and bland, and when I hear "Warren Ellis James Bond", I assume it's going to be the nastiest, most cynical version yet, but it's just kinda light and toothless.

Mindwipe

The first six issues of Ellis' Bond comic are dollar in the cmx dynamite sale.

Those are comics.

You could buy those. I'm skeptical on getting them since i tend to dislike property stuff.

Nah. Pass.

If you want a "cynical writer who's name begins with E writing a British mainstay" in that Dynamite sale go buy Ennis' run on Dan Dare instead. It's better, if only for the sheer, visceral hatred of Tony Blair that permeates every page.

BrightLightLava

Unconfirmed Member
Hey guys, my dad kicked me out of the house for a bit but I'm back. Nothing serious but for my birthday today I decided to show you all several comic book reviews I did for a blog site weeks ago. I wasn't being paid and too many other things kept my anxiety levels way up to even think about writing reviews.

Also has my real name!

Anyways, yeah. I love you guys. You've been there for me and I haven't shown you all an ounce of gratitude, thank you for tolerating my shit posts and my seemingly negative attitude.

...Psychbat's not your real name? I'm disappointed.

But happy birthday man! And nice reviews.

Boogiepop

What's worth grabbing in the Sonic and X-Men sales on CMX? Already have what I want from the Rebirth one.

I can answer on the Sonic stuff. Pretty much the rule of thumb is to just pick up stuff from Ian Flynn. He jumps on the main series at #160 and stays on ever since. It's worth noting, though, that I feel he certainly still does improve over time, and at least at the start he's largely cleaning up the crap that was there from past issues. So that certainly may not be for everyone, to say the least. If you want an easy jumping on point, there's a reboot from 252 onwards (coming out of the first Sonic/Mega Man crossover). Oh, and Universe is also solid stuff, largely focused on self-contained arcs (based on sets of 4 issues to fit nicely into trades... which they've stopped making), and often focused on characters other than Sonic. I REALLY wouldn't recommend touching any of the stuff pre-Flynn unless you have a REALLY strong nostalgia for it or something, as it's easily some of the most poorly done and stupid comics I've ever read. AKA god damn is Ken Penders awful.

So yeah, for most people I'd probably just recommend jumping on at the reboot starting at issue 252. And of course this stuff probably isn't for everyone, but if you're willing to read a Sonic comic, then Ian Flynn certainly knows what he's doing, and you should be able to have some fun with it. (In case it helps further, Ian Flynn is also the guy who did the sadly hiatus-ed Mega Man comic).

Edit: I guess it's important to note that it IS still Sonic, though, so it's best if you're coming in with an interest/acceptance of what that brings with it in the first place. IE I don't think it's on the level of More Than Meets the Eye, where I'd recommend it even to people who have an aversion to the franchise. It's well done, but it's certainly still Sonic. So if you're not particularly interested in the franchise, I'd recommend treading lightly, and maybe give the first arc of Universe or the reboot a try before diving in too heavily.

VanWinkle

Man, I'm trying to read the absolute version of Superman For Tomorrow, and I don't know if I can get through it. About a third of the way in, and man, it's just kind of bad honestly. I'm glad I only paid $20 for it.

Owzers

Man, I'm trying to read the absolute version of Superman For Tomorrow, and I don't know if I can get through it. About a third of the way in, and man, it's just kind of bad honestly. I'm glad I only paid $20 for it.

You could always read the rest tomorrow.

I read Avengers #4 today, the kiss seen around the world and then forgotten about the next day. Continues to be a nothing-book.

smisk

Can anyone reccomend good comic book podcasts? Used to listen to Cape Crisis but it's on hiatus now (RIP). Looking for a weekly one that discusses news and stuff mainly.

BrightLightLava

Unconfirmed Member
I read Avengers #4 today, the kiss seen around the world and then forgotten about the next day. Continues to be a nothing-book.

The Avengers books are in a weird place right now. None of them really seemed to go anywhere before the Civil War stuff started up. In ANAD, you had an arc about putting the team together, and then a whole bunch of nothing, and then they're in space for some reason.

In New, you've had the Maker working in the background since the very beginning, but I don't think they've actually fought against him, and they keep splitting the team up to go on separate adventures. They had the umpteenth version of future Avengers show up for a minute and then disappear again.

It's just weird. It's like Ewing and Waid didn't want to get to locked down into anything because they new CWII was around the corner and would mess it all up anyway.

The Avengers books are in a weird place right now. None of them really seemed to go anywhere before the Civil War stuff started up. In ANAD, you had an arc about putting the team together, and then a whole bunch of nothing, and then they're in space for some reason.

In New, you've had the Maker working in the background since the very beginning, but I don't think they've actually fought against him, and they keep splitting the team up to go on separate adventures. They had the umpteenth version of future Avengers show up for a minute and then disappear again.

It's just weird. It's like Ewing and Waid didn't want to get to locked down into anything because they new CWII was around the corner and would mess it all up anyway.
Having to incorporate 2 events in one year probably didn't help. As is they pretty much just got to do Intro Arc, Standoff, CWII and then have to end it to prepare for the next relaunch. Will probably be the same next year.

Edit:
cottx2exgaaxufwvjax4.jpg

GAMEPROFF

Banned
I love that you would have to spend 300$ On books to be able to get the ultimate reward from this Marvel Insider thing, a mention from Bendis on Twitter o_O

Edit: I was wrong - You have actually to redeem 267 books. I dont even want to calculate how much that is in money.

Wtf.

Can anyone reccomend good comic book podcasts? Used to listen to Cape Crisis but it's on hiatus now (RIP). Looking for a weekly one that discusses news and stuff mainly.

Comic Geek Speak, iFanboy, Word Ballon.
"new" podcasts I am currently checking out, Talking Comics, ComicVine, Major Spoilers,

I can't believe I'm gonna have to buy the Zeb Wells and Joe Mad Spider-Man/Wolverine collection used. Marvel being lazy once again on reprints.

Which is satisfying to drive and destroy vehicles in. Seriously, I didn't have any problem with it.

It was fine, there was just A LOT of it. It was really the only convenient way to travel great distances. Gliding was cooler, but slower. I've just found that the Arkham games got incrementally less good the further into the series you go.

TheFlow

Banned
It was fine, there was just A LOT of it. It was really the only convenient way to travel great distances. Gliding was cooler, but slower. I've just found that the Arkham games got incrementally less good the further into the series you go.
from what I played
asylum>knight>origins>city

the usage of the Batmobile in Arkham Knight was like that one friend who loudly announces everything his new phone can do. Just constantly showing up everywhere to try and justify the investment.

"I'm hungry. I think I'm gonNA ORDER FOOD ON MY NEW PHONE"

"Did you know you can open doors with THIS PHONE I JUST BOUGHT? Amazing we used to just open doors with our hands like savages lol"

"yeah man just CALL ON MY NEW PHONE, same old number tho heh heh"

the usage of the Batmobile in Arkham Knight was like that one friend who loudly announces everything his new phone can do. Just constantly showing up everywhere to try and justify the investment.

"Did you know you can open doors with THIS PHONE I JUST BOUGHT? Amazing we used to just open doors with our hands like savages lol"

You just described the gameplay of Watch Dogs.

MG310

HA HA

That shit bargain binned hard. Still not worth it.

Damn, tho. They have a lot of Bombshells pretty cheap.

I might finally grab Stargirl at 70 dollars though...just missing her and Lois.

Maybe they shouldn't have announced the 2nd edition before the first one was even out. The comic color version of the Alex Ross one is down to 130 as well.

Yeah, they did shoehorn it in too much. I didn't mind it at first but there were just too much of it in the end.

Messi

Real talk. How long is it going to be until Jimmy and Amanda's run gets put into Absolute format? I'd love to see it just to witness how salty some people would become.

JTripper

My ranking of the Arkham games might be pretty controversial, but I'd go Knight>Origins=City>Asylum.

Knight felt like the first really well told Rocksteady Batman story. It's got great narrative pacing, even though the gameplay pacing was fucked up by the batmobile, which was fine but relied on way too heavily. The presentation in Knight is also unmatched. The intro was the first in the series to make me think "holy shit" and I had more fun traversing Knight's map than any other in the series.

Origins has easily the best story and atmosphere, but I'm a story preferred kind of gamer. City was great almost all around but the story felt sort of unimpactful to me when the intent of it was supposed to be the opposite. Also didn't really care for how many villains it tried to shove into that main plot line. The side-stuff in City was amazing though, and was probably the best in the series in that regard.

I love all the games though, so my ranking makes it seem harsher than I mean it to.

Real talk. How long is it going to be until Jimmy and Amanda's run gets put into Absolute format? I'd love to see it just to witness how salty some people would become.
Since they're finally going back to #1 with Rebirth, probably soon. How many issues have they released counting mini-series?

Top Bottom