• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| July 2016. Everyone Loves A Hero, Everyone Loves You

Final time at Midtown so I picked up Earth-2 vol. 3 and DC One Million.

Nice view outside:
imagea3jvk.jpeg

Not really a surprise, but I hope when it is done there is some kind of epic lead up to it ala Hickman's New Avengers and Avengers.

Well, we've been told Titans is the book to read to keep up with Rebirth, and that Batman and Flash will factor in heavily, right? So those are probably the books/characters to follow if you're interested in the lead-up.

I seem to recall at least one or two more books/characters were mentioned but I can't remember what they were and I'm having trouble googling it.

If Suicide Squad isn't received well by critics and audiences I don't know what the fuck WB/DC is going to do. A lot is riding on this movie now.

the day people stop watching superhero movies is far, far, faaaaaaar away from today. Certainly not any time soon when Deadpool can break out for $750m and by most accounts "failure" like BvS can still make $870m.

Comic movies used to be such trash, though. The 80's Captain America film.... they weren't even trying.
But Superman in the 70s and Batman in the 80s weren't. And Batman was very popular on TV. Same with Wonder Woman, the Hulk, and many cartoons.

I'd say we're still at the peak, but every popular movie trend falls off eventually.
Just because there won't be five of them a year, every year, doesn't mean they're going away. We're almost 40 years into Star Wars. How long has Star Trek been successful? Those didn't go away when superheroes became the #1 thing. People that compare the eras of westerns or musicals to superheroes now are underestimating the power of #brands.

They're trying with video game movies, but the new batch have had the fatal flaw that they all seem to be pretty bad.

Even when Rogue One nukes Assassin's Creed from orbit, there will be more attempts. There's a Tomb Raider reboot, a Sonic animated movie, a Mortal Kombat sequel (even the games have rebooted FFS!), The Division has Jake Glyyenhaal attached (he must really like Ubisoft), plans for a Call of Duty Cinematic Universe (oh lord), the Minecraft movie directed by one of the It's Always Sunny people, lots more.

It's going to be a long few years.

Owzers

I'm at the point in Name of the Wind where i feel like my enjoyment is going to die, page 60 where
now the book is about Kote telling his story

Sandfox

But Superman in the 70s and Batman in the 80s weren't. And Batman on TV was very popular on TV.

ust because there won't be five of them a year, every year, doesn't mean they're going away. We're almost 40 years into Star Wars. How long has Star Trek been successful? Those didn't go away when superheroes became the #1 thing. People that compare the eras of westerns or musicals to superheroes now are underestimating the power of #brands.

I never said they would go away.

Man, I don't think I've ever seen a good video game movie. I'm still in awe that the Riddick game was good.

There's just not enough story there without the interactive element. And most of the better stories in games are riffing off movies anyway.

I'm pretty sure my dropoff in watching films the last few years was triggered by watching Super Mario Bros again (I own it on DVD, I bought a lot of dumb shit when I was living at home and stoned on antidepressants all the time). It killed me wanting to go to the movies stone dead as a kid, although I probably just found some part frightening. I couldn't have been more than 6 when that came out.

Hopefully going to catch a Star Trek matinee tomorrow.

Boogiepop

Comic movies used to be such trash, though. The 80's Captain America film.... they weren't even trying.

Oh god, that movie is in all likelihood the worst movie I've ever seen. I'm 99% sure they pretty much just rented a motorcycle and, IIRC, a helicopter, and then tried to sculpt the bare bones of a film around the extremely basic "stunts" and scenery footage they managed to pull off with them. It is a REALLY bad movie. And the scary thing is that there's still a sequel on that disc that I haven't watched, IIRC (my friend bought a copy for like $1 to watch together).

On the brighter side, finally read the end of Loki: Agent of Asgard, and god do I ever love that stretch from kid Loki up until then. Is Vote Loki the next thing in the chain for the character in theory, and has that been any good?

Also, btw, it looks like the Worst X-man Ever trade is coming out in the near future. Was that actually well received, or did I just fall in love with the name and assume it must be good without looking into the matter further?

On the brighter side, finally read the end of Loki: Agent of Asgard, and god do I ever love that stretch from kid Loki up until then. Is Vote Loki the next thing in the chain for the character in theory, and has that been any good?
Not really. Gillen and Ewing's Loki left the story of 616 at the end of AoA and that's a fitting end for him. If there was ever a Loki omnibus it would be the Thor issues before Siege that Gillen did to set things up, JIM, YA and AoA(with the Original Sins story included).

@Older generations still watching superhero movies: My father is a weird case. He worked his way up to run the Scandinavia division of Warner Bros. for a decade and had a hand in getting movies like TDK and Superman Returns on screens while in his youth he ran the projectors and showed the earlier superhero movies. Nowadays he's done with them but still a fan to the point he bought a Superman t-shirt despite being in his 50's when I went to Midtown the first time.

Sandfox

Oh god, that movie is in all likelihood the worst movie I've ever seen. I'm 99% sure they pretty much just rented a motorcycle and, IIRC, a helicopter, and then tried to sculpt the bare bones of a film around the extremely basic "stunts" and scenery footage they managed to pull off with them. It is a REALLY bad movie. And the scary thing is that there's still a sequel on that disc that I haven't watched, IIRC (my friend bought a copy for like $1 to watch together).

Also, btw, it looks like the Worst X-man Ever trade is coming out in the near future. Was that actually well received, or did I just fall in love with the name and assume it must be good without looking into the matter further?
Worst X-Man ever was decent enough.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
Damn, Final Incal is out of print?
DyZG5y7.png

Guess I can get it from Amazon but it's a bit pricey.

Also, weird that Winter Soldier is out of print, you'd think they'd want to keep that on shelves.

Also also, asked about Bone and Akira and they put those instock, wonder if they already had copies and their system didn't reflect that or if they ordered new ones cus I brought it up.

TheFlow

Banned
DyZG5y7.png

Also, weird that Winter Soldier is out of print, you'd think they'd want to keep that on shelves.

Also also, asked about Bone and Akira and they put those instock, wonder if they already had copies and their system didn't reflect that or if they ordered new ones cus I brought it up.
Lol it is still 31 percent off amazon at 25 bucks. That is not pricey.

VanWinkle

DyZG5y7.png

You can get the OHC version of Winter Soldier, sewn binding and all, for $18.50 in "like new" condition with Prime shipping on Amazon. It's also on IST for $19.24.

I lucked out awhile back and bought it from GoHastings.com for $5 and it was sealed and everything.

DyZG5y7.png

You could get it from Amazon. Instock only offers a 25% discount on Humanoids book anyway.

As for Akira, Dark Horse is publishing a nice HC box set next year if you want to wait.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
One time I canceled an instocktrades order, sent a few emails and had a few live chats with some people at Barnes and Noble so I could save 4 dollars.

The day instocktrades goes under is the day I stop buying comics often. I'm way too cheap for this expensive ass hobby.

[edit]

Emily in IST is the MVP, though. They're not allowed to cancel orders but if you ask nicely, she'll do it for ya.

One time I canceled an instocktrades order, sent a few emails and had a few live chats with some people at Barnes and Noble so I could save 4 dollars.

The day instocktrades goes under is the day I stop buying comics often. I'm way too cheap for this expensive ass hobby.

[edit]

Emily in IST is the MVP, though. They're not allowed to cancel orders but if you ask nicely, she'll do it for ya.

Emily is my homie

Top Bottom