• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| July 2016. Everyone Loves A Hero, Everyone Loves You

The Deadly Class run of issues 9-13 is something else. My favorite Remender book. Hot damn.

It can't be any worse than Green Lanterns #3 by Humphries... can it?

I decided I'll pick it up in keeping with my whole try every Rebirth series motto. I'm expecting it will be a one and done.

Just read the Black Magick TP. Man, that 5 issues run was just the set up. I liked it, but with WW bimonthly there is no hope for it to continue, right?

Has anyone said if she'll be on Wonder Woman after the Year One arc? That could be the only story she does.

With Black Magick having a TV deal, I have to imagine that's going to be a priority for both creators. Remember that Snyder has said that he made more money from Wytches than he did Batman.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
Came across this guy named Earl Grey on Youtube that made me realized that I pretty much know nothing about European comics.

Also, European comics are built to be wayyy larger, kinda jealous of that.

Bii

Do it. Do it.

I do them on flex pay so it's like 60 per month for 4 months. It ain't bad. Future Bii has all the cash for these things.

I'm trying not to go overboard with figure/statue purchases as I've set a limit on how many I can get per year. I don't want to fill my quota halfway with Suicide Squad figures. The flex pay is definitely tempting, though.

So *clears throat*, I hear a rumor that...

IT WAS JUST SEX FOR GOD'S SAKE

Also, I don't think I've seen anyone talk about the Death of X variant covers that have been dropping on other books.

I thought this one was particularly great.
5269694-2+power+man+and+iron+fist+%236+death+of+x+var+cw2.jpg
Man I'm hyped for tomorrow. So many books to be excited for!
Truth

Superman 3: what is happening?! This is one of my favorite books, of ALL the books I pull a fucking Superman book is in my top 10, maybe top 5.

edit: ehhh upon reflection not top 5...still, though.

I saw some pages from International Iron Man on Reddit.

Stark's mother is...

Nobody at all. Her name is Amanda Armstrong, and nothing comes up if you Google "Amanda Armstrong Marvel".

Messi

You're underselling his art and writing. His art, I would say, is way beyond good. His writing is serviceable but nothing you would ever bring up as an overtly positive thing.
His art is stunning as in good enough to put up with his average writing but imagine him with a top level writer . Someone like King/Snyder/Nocenti/Morrison/Tomasi that could be something special.

He is like Pat Gleason. Stunning art average writing but with Tomasi you get a legendary run like Batman and Robin.

Came across this guy named Earl Grey on Youtube that made me realized that I pretty much know nothing about European comics.

Also, European comics are built to be wayyy larger, kinda jealous of that.

Growing up in a commonwealth country, most of my initial comic reading was European leaning (and Archie...).

There are so many great looking European comics that never seem to come over to the US. Just look at http://www.cinebook.co.uk/. I need to figure out a way to order some of those.

Fantastic Four #11 is such a fascinating issue. The first half of the story is just the Fantastic Four answering fan letters (The line between real world fans and in universe fans seems to be very blurry). Lee/Kirby have recap panels from previous issues to justify to the people writing in that Sue is not just filler.

Fantastic_Four_11_Ben.jpg

And the second part of the issue is a farcical Monty Pythonesque story.

Fantastic Four #11 is such a fascinating issue. The first half of the story is just the Fantastic Four answering fan letters (The line between real world fans and in universe fans seems to be very blurry). Lee/Kirby have recap panels from previous issues to justify to the people writing in that Sue is not just filler.

Fantastic_Four_11_Ben.jpg

And the second part of the issue is a farcical Monty Pythonesque story.

Funny thing is that Sue ended up as one of the most powerfull beings in the Marvel Universe.

ElNarez

Banned
Final page of today's Howard

is

is it going for what I think it's going for, vis-à-vis the round badge with a stain, and the idea that someone somewhere is messing with a character's life?

is this a fucking DC Rebirth burn/goof, are Joe'n'Chip really going for it in a tiny almost but not really unnoticeable way?

Owzers

Sillymonkey ZATANNA TAS FIGURE is finally released fam!
I dunno, not in dcbs shipment and preview world says end of August delay. Which place has it?

Previews world also lists it as August 3rd, next week, and my shipment would include that so maybe I'll get it...first week shipping don't fail me.

ElNarez

Banned
The latest Future Quest is about Birdman, and it's missing a crucial point. Here are my proposals to replace it. They may be added as the final bubble on page 3.

"Ha, ha! Need-to-know basis."
"Ha, ha! Deep undercover."
"Ha, ha! Out."

DC's next catalog is out and contains a lot of rebirth trades.

http://edelweiss.abovethetreeline.com/CatalogOverview.aspx?catalogID=3965588

Looks like they are collecting the first 6 issues (and the rebirth issue) in paperbacks for $17/$18. Most are releasing January 2017. So about three to four months after #6. Not bad! (The Hannah barbara trades are priced the same too).
A nice change from them first releasing small trim HCs and then small trim tpbs.

For WW, it looks like they are collecting alternate issues together! (v2 collecting the even issues is in May for some reason).

From the ashes of DC UNIVERSE: REBIRTH, critically acclaimed writer Greg Rucka along with illustrators Liam Sharp and Nicola Scott unveil a tale that will forever alter the DC icon in WONDER WOMAN VOL. 1! Collects issues #1, #3, #5, #7, #9 and WONDER WOMAN: REBIRTH #1.

A few other collections that looked interesting to me.

Midnighter: The Complete WildStorm Series (Ennis) - tpb
Batman & the Outsiders Vol. 1 (Barr) - HC
Justice League: Breakdowns (Giffen) - tpb
Batman: Knightfall Omnibus Vol. 1 - HC (52+ issues?!)
Wonder Woman & the Justice League America Vol. 1 (Vado) - tpb
Zatanna (Paul Dini) - tpb
Doom Patrol by Gerard Way Vol. 1 - may 2017
Wonder Woman by George Perez Book Two - tpb -_-
Astro City Vol. 14 - march 2017
Books of Magic Book One
DC Universe by Mike Mignola - HC

Owzers

i'll probably pick up the Green Arrow Rebirth trade just so i know how wrong comics-gaf is about books.

Also, Extraordinary X-Men needs to drop the adjective and just be X-Men. If you're going to put out a bad book at least not name it like it's something special.

For WW, it looks like they are collecting alternate issues together! (v2 collecting the even issues is in May for some reason).
I was wondering if there would be any explicit interplay between the present day and flashback issues, and I suppose this confirms that there won't be.

With that being the case, I'm just going to buy the Scott issues for now.

i'll probably pick up the Green Arrow Rebirth trade just so i know how wrong comics-gaf is about books.

Also, Extraordinary X-Men needs to drop the adjective and just be X-Men. If you're going to put out a bad book at least not name it like it's something special.

Maybe they can call it Extra ordinary X-Men.

Messi

I dunno, not in dcbs shipment and preview world says end of August delay. Which place has it?

Previews world also lists it as August 3rd, next week, and my shipment would include that so maybe I'll get it...first week shipping don't fail me.

Well this is pretty awkward considering it is in my hand :/

Messi

DC's next catalog is out and contains a lot of rebirth trades.

http://edelweiss.abovethetreeline.com/CatalogOverview.aspx?catalogID=3965588

Looks like they are collecting the first 6 issues (and the rebirth issue) in paperbacks for $17/$18. Most are releasing January 2017. So about three to four months after #6. Not bad! (The Hannah barbara trades are priced the same too).
A nice change from them first releasing small trim HCs and then small trim tpbs.

A few other collections that looked interesting to me.

Midnighter: The Complete WildStorm Series (Ennis) - tpb
Batman & the Outsiders Vol. 1 (Barr) - HC
Justice League: Breakdowns (Giffen) - tpb
Batman: Knightfall Omnibus Vol. 1 - HC (52+ issues?!)
Wonder Woman & the Justice League America Vol. 1 (Vado) - tpb
Zatanna (Paul Dini) - tpb
Doom Patrol by Gerard Way Vol. 1 - may 2017
Wonder Woman by George Perez Book Two - tpb -_-
Astro City Vol. 14 - march 2017
Books of Magic Book One
DC Universe by Mike Mignola - HC

THEY ARE FINALLY REPRINTING DINIS ZATANNA SERIES ALL IN ONE BOOK. FUUUUUUUUUUCK YESSSSSS

Also interestingly none of the rebirth books have hardcovers. Not even batman or Harley. All Star Batman does as does Harley's little black book. Gang of Harley's does not. I wonder why DC are going hardcoverless for rebirth

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
I'm reading through my Absolute Batman & Robin and Absolute Batman Incorporated right now. So good. Just finished B&R and started Batman Inc. Forgot how much I enjoyed this Batman run. Can't wait to get to Burnham's stuff.

Top Bottom