• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| July 2016. Everyone Loves A Hero, Everyone Loves You

BrightLightLava

Unconfirmed Member
Actually it makes perfect sense from a meta/business perspective.

They did the same thing with Tony Stark. I believe it was more of a careless accident then but it worked out pretty damn well for them...the character was really going nowhere pre-Civil War, he got a bump from Ellis and Extremis, true, but that was the first bright spot in a long time. Then Civil War made him such a horrible, insufferable asshole they literally had to reboot his brain to make him a readable character again. All that positioned him perfectly to absorb the essence of RDJ, becoming a much more enjoyable character.

Think about where Carol is right now as a character. She's really not that popular, she has maybe one classic villain to her name...she just doesn't move books and a lot of people already don't like her. And it seems like Marvel is hoping lightning strikes twice here, so now she's having her Civil War Moment where she effectively descends into villainy. From here I expect events to unfold in such a way leading up to the movie that she's primed to absorb the essence of Brie Larson and start fresh. Maybe you're right and she's a skrull, maybe it's something else, but they are definitely prepping for Captain Carol 2.0.

That actually makes a lot of sense.

Something big's got to happen,
because she basically has no redeeming qualities at this point.

Uncanny X-Men #10
So this was a strange end to the arc, but let's recap so I see if I can understand how this all works:

-Warren's wings begin to grow back, and despite him being tabula rasa'd long ago, he remembers them
-He goes to Genocide, leader of the current Akkaba, who promises to remove his wings and keep him from changing
-Warren then uses his healing powers (which he has) to masquerade as a priest
-Magneto somehow gets a hold of the "true" Archangel and uses it as a personal predator drone
-Magneto then, at some point, pretends to be Betsy and summons Archangel
-When doing this, a whole swarm of Archangels appears, because it turns out that the Akkabas were making an army of potential Apocalypses.
-Betsy helps Warren and the "true" Archangel fuse back together, since apparently they were separated somehow.
-Warren now has a church in his head

That sound about right? Because that shit was nonsense and the ending was even more nonsense. I know some books avoid previous runs, but this us just stupid.

Or am I just really stupid that I'm confused by this? Also,
what were Mystique and Fantomex doing for Mags? I literally don't remember. They showed it during the Land issues, but that's probably why I don't remember

Ross61

Teen Titans still hasnt gone through their Rebirth stuff yet right? Is there a release date yet for their relaunch?
Their Rebirth issue is September 28th. The last issue of the current run is on the 14th. There's also a Raven mini is set in between the two.

Uncanny X-Men #10
So this was a strange end to the arc, but let's recap so I see if I can understand how this all works:

-Warren's wings begin to grow back, and despite him being tabula rasa'd long ago, he remembers them
-He goes to Genocide, leader of the current Akkaba, who promises to remove his wings and keep him from changing
-Magneto somehow gets a hold of the "true" Archangel and uses it as a personal predator drone
-When doing this, a whole swarm of Archangels appears, because it turns out that the Akkabas were making an army of potential Apocalypses.
-Betsy helps Warren and the "true" Archangel fuse back together, since apparently they were separated somehow.

That sound about right? Because that shit was nonsense and the ending was even more nonsense. I know some books avoid previous runs, but this us just stupid.

what were Mystique and Fantomex doing for Mags? I literally don't remember. They showed it during the Land issues, but that's probably why I don't remember

Yeah I think that's the gist and yeah it was dumb and doesn't really hold up to even light analysis.

Yeah I think that's the gist and yeah it was dumb and doesn't really hold up to even light analysis.
Yeah I didn't understand anything. Shit was just happening. This was like some Kingdom Hearts bullshit, where a bunch of stuff happens, but because they're too busy being cryptic about it, you have no idea what the hell is actually going on because they haven't bothered to actually explain it.

TheFlow

Banned
Uncanny X-Men #10

Damn...

frye

yeah, I'm not too well-versed in either but I really liked the stuff I saw from them both:

Jack Davis said:
4780176945_8d5804eeb7_o.jpg

Richard Thompson said:

Yeah it's not a good book. The arc with Land on art was comprehensible, but Land's art made it way too boring. This arc has been less boring because of Lashley's art, but has been incomprehensible as far as writing goes.

What the fuck? Get your shit together, Bunn!

I'm going to be selling some hardcovers in the next few days, and it'll all be priced to move at unreasonably low prices. I'm moving soon and need this shit out of my life more than I need money.

Action Comics 960: Things move forward juuuuust enough to keep this book on my list. Decent issue but I'm still close to dropping it.

ANAD 12: This is a really fun, creative fight but holy shit it does not make any sense at all if you don't know all about how
the nega-bands work
and they barely explained that over the last couple of issues. This is compounded by a couple major errors in the art and the fact that
the nega-bands just seem to disappear without a trace at the end of the issue.

Also, there is no discernible reason
for the Avengers to abandon their quest to find Sam's dad at the end of this story, their ship is fine, nobody is hurt, but they just pick up and haul ass back to Earth because reasons. I know it's because the book needs to get involved in Civil War II but it's dumb.

Batgirl 1:
Dropped.

ANAD Avengers 12:
I feel like I have a pretty good understanding of nega-bands and I was still confused by something: how is Vision able to switch places with Spider-Man in the first place? Doesn't the swapping have something to do with the last person who was wearing them?

Would they even work for an android?

one of the worst episodes right there

Yeah it was really out of place in the DCAU as a whole and ultimately amounted to nothing.

Which reminds me: I've been re-watching JLU (one of my favorite shows of all time), and I feel like there are "missing" episodes of the DCAU at times. "Dead Reckoning", for instance, mentions Batman helping Deadman solve his own murder. They do it so casually and nonchalantly, however, that I feel like it was supposed to be an actual episode of B:TAS. However there is no such episode.

A bummer, really.

Action Comics #960 - ★ - I've officially wasted $12 on this series.  /kramerimout.gif 

Batgirl #1 - ★★★ - Decent first book, with that Albuquerque art making everything pop. I don't really care for Batgirl as a character, and I've never been one to care about following multiple Bat family books, but this should appeal to Barbara fans. I'll likely stick around for at least one more. This book cost me three American dollars.

Detective Comics #937 - ★★★★★ - This is the Batman book you're looking for, even if it's not written by a trained CIA super assassin. Detective does what King don't. It only costs $2.99.

Hal Jordan and the Green Lantern Corps #1 - ★★ - It's a Green Lantern comic. It has rings and lots of pretty colors. I just started reading through the seminal 2005 run from Johns, and this feels like I've seen it all before.
Green versus yellow. Same villain.
$2.99.

Nightwing #1 - ★★★★ - I have a feeling this is going to be a fun book. Good clean up of what came with New 52 Nightwing/Grayson, while giving me a clear idea of where the book is headed. Cameos galore...this is a Bat book, after all. I happily paid $2.99 for this Dick.

Titans #1 - ★ - Terrible comic is terrible. This book suffers from a complete lack of direction, awful art, and the most shoehorned references to being "watched" and losing time and identity. It's bad, fam. Dropped. $2.99.

Wonder Woman #3 - ★★★★ - First "modern" issue that clicked with me. I like pretty much everything about this. I would prefer Rucka stick with the entire year one story instead of alternating, but this does keep the book fresh every two weeks. Art is magnificent, almost worth the two dollar and ninety-nine cent admission price all by itself.

Zombine

Banned
I remember there was a time where I thought digital was betraying my LCS and it made me feel horrible inside. Now digital comics are an extension of my soul.

Zombine

Banned
goddamn today's Jupiter's Legacy is actually really good, Frank Quitely is a fuckin god

zombine where u at

Nobody ever believes me when I say that Jupiter's Legacy is some god tier comics. I haven't gotten to it yet!

Batgirl was...it was ok. I didn't even think that was Albuquerque's best art, and I own lots of Rafael Albuquerque art.

goddamn today's Jupiter's Legacy is actually really good, Frank Quitely is a fuckin god

zombine where u at

I got the digital trade of the first series free from comixology and really liked it. Most because of Quitely art. Miller is a great writer, but not a creator. What he does best is pick a concept and inject cool ideas and execution. Jupiter's Legacy is Kingdom Comes with even more violence (but it is good).

TheFlow

Banned
Damn can't believe I bought batgirl something told me to buy power man and iron fist instead.

I bought a lot of new comics today but rather watch Netflix and eat tacos

Sandfox

Totally Awesome Hulk continues to be good. They have Del Mundo on the series now, butI wonder if Cho will be coming back after the WW thing with Rucka and DC.

I didn't really like the previous issue of Ms. Marvel, but thjis one was a return to form IMO.

Zombine

Banned
How were Batgirl and Hal Jordan today?

Batgirl was a solid 3/5. It just kinda starts like you've been following the book since the old run so that kinda put me off a bit. It's not amazing, but it's not bad either. It's not really ABQ's best art ether.

I think it will end up being a fun arc, but I wasn't as crazy about it as I thought I would be.

TheFlow

Banned
Batgirl was a solid 3/5. It just kinda starts like you've been following the book since the old run so that kinda put me off a bit. It's not amazing, but it's not bad either. It's not really ABQ's best art ether.

I think it will end up being a fun arc, but I wasn't as crazy about it as I thought I would be.
It could definitely be fun. Not many bat characters have arcs in Asia

VanWinkle

The actual cover is great:

Beautiful. I really liked the first trade of that when I read it. Would definitely like the deluxe edition.

I'm always reluctant to recommend Silver Age stuff, I think comics from that era are a bit of an acquired taste for people new to the hobby. I think the writing and art holds up remarkably well, but I love stuff from that time period. I hate linking to scans daily, but will make an exception in this case. The art will look much better in the reprints since it won't be a shitty scan, but this will give you an example of the style and the writing.

Here's the first appearance of Beast Boy - http://scans-daily.dreamwidth.org/1145146.html?thread=34820154&style=light

Looks like a lot of fun!

Sandfox

This current Uncanny Avengers storyline is making for a good Pym story. Duggan is basically giving Pym fans a voice and
we even got Vision hitting Ultron with a Shoryuken.
This book started off meh and then became the best Avengers book.

Top Bottom