• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| July 2016. Everyone Loves A Hero, Everyone Loves You

VanWinkle

His art is stunning as in good enough to put up with his average writing but imagine him with a top level writer . Someone like King/Snyder/Nocenti/Morrison/Tomasi that could be something special.

He is like Pat Gleason. Stunning art average writing but with Tomasi you get a legendary run like Batman and Robin.

Man. You are so right. Another thing that I wish he had in common is doing longer-form runs. It's cool that he did ~25 issues on Flash, but that is rare for him. I'd LOVE to see him paired with a great writer, like you said, doing a long run.

2nd All Star story is Mr Freeza with Jock and Francavilla on art. Oh my god.

OH MY GOODNESS. Please let Jock be on backups and Francavilla be on the main story. Absolutely NOTHING against Jock, whose art I really like, but...FRANCAVILLA.

I know that won't be the case, but let this man dream.

Was the last time we saw Mr. Freeze in Batman Annual #1? I don't remember him appearing anywhere else much since the New 52 started.
Red Hood and the Outlaws #9
Batwoman #14
Batman #16
Swamp Thing #16
Animal Man #17
Batman and Robin #17
Swamp Thing #17
Batwoman #18
Birds of Prey #18
Birds of Prey #19
Birds of Prey #20
Aquaman #23.1
Batman: The Dark Knight #23.2
Detective Comics #23.2
Detective Comics #23.3
Forever Evil #1
The Flash #23.3
Damian: Son of Batman #1
Forever Evil: Arkham War #1
Harley Quinn #0
Forever Evil: Arkham War #3
Detective Comics #27
Forever Evil: Arkham War #4
Harley Quinn Annual #1
Arkham Manor #2
Batman Eternal #31
Arkham Manor #3
Batman Eternal #36
Batman Eternal #37
Batman Eternal #38
Batman Eternal #39
Batman Eternal #40
Batman #39
Batman Eternal #46
Batman Eternal #47
Arkham Manor #6
Batman Eternal #48
Batman Eternal #49
Batman Eternal #50
Batman Eternal #51
Arkham Manor: Endgame #1
Batman #40
Batman Annual #4
Catwoman #49
Batman #51

tim1138

DC's next catalog is out and contains a lot of rebirth trades.

http://edelweiss.abovethetreeline.com/CatalogOverview.aspx?catalogID=3965588

Looks like they are collecting the first 6 issues (and the rebirth issue) in paperbacks for $17/$18. Most are releasing January 2017. So about three to four months after #6. Not bad! (The Hannah barbara trades are priced the same too).
A nice change from them first releasing small trim HCs and then small trim tpbs.

For WW, it looks like they are collecting alternate issues together! (v2 collecting the even issues is in May for some reason).

A few other collections that looked interesting to me.

Midnighter: The Complete WildStorm Series (Ennis) - tpb
Batman & the Outsiders Vol. 1 (Barr) - HC
Justice League: Breakdowns (Giffen) - tpb
Batman: Knightfall Omnibus Vol. 1 - HC (52+ issues?!)
Wonder Woman & the Justice League America Vol. 1 (Vado) - tpb
Zatanna (Paul Dini) - tpb
Doom Patrol by Gerard Way Vol. 1 - may 2017
Wonder Woman by George Perez Book Two - tpb -_-
Astro City Vol. 14 - march 2017
Books of Magic Book One
DC Universe by Mike Mignola - HC

Finally, Silver Age Doom Patrol reprints. I look forward to buying them on CMX.

arkon

DC's next catalog is out and contains a lot of rebirth trades.

http://edelweiss.abovethetreeline.com/CatalogOverview.aspx?catalogID=3965588

Looks like they are collecting the first 6 issues (and the rebirth issue) in paperbacks for $17/$18. Most are releasing January 2017. So about three to four months after #6. Not bad! (The Hannah barbara trades are priced the same too).
A nice change from them first releasing small trim HCs and then small trim tpbs.

For WW, it looks like they are collecting alternate issues together! (v2 collecting the even issues is in May for some reason).

A few other collections that looked interesting to me.

Midnighter: The Complete WildStorm Series (Ennis) - tpb
Batman & the Outsiders Vol. 1 (Barr) - HC
Justice League: Breakdowns (Giffen) - tpb
Batman: Knightfall Omnibus Vol. 1 - HC (52+ issues?!)
Wonder Woman & the Justice League America Vol. 1 (Vado) - tpb
Zatanna (Paul Dini) - tpb
Doom Patrol by Gerard Way Vol. 1 - may 2017
Wonder Woman by George Perez Book Two - tpb -_-
Astro City Vol. 14 - march 2017
Books of Magic Book One
DC Universe by Mike Mignola - HC

My heart skipped a beat when I saw JL:Breakdowns because I thougt that might be a continuation of the old JLA/JLE/JLI collections. Turns out that picks up 25 issues and 3 annuals after the volume 6 TPB. I seriously hope they have plans to plug that gap with a couple of collections.

Other than that, interesting to see the Legion getting material collected. Maybe next year is when we see the Legion getting another push? I'm hoping for some omnibus editions or TPBs of material in the DC archives collections as some of those are going for ridiculous prices.

JTripper

Batwoman #14
Batman #16
Swamp Thing #16
Animal Man #17
Batman and Robin #17
Swamp Thing #17
Batwoman #18
Birds of Prey #18
Birds of Prey #19
Birds of Prey #20
Aquaman #23.1
Detective Comics #23.2
Detective Comics #23.3
Forever Evil #1
The Flash #23.3
Harley Quinn #0
Detective Comics #27
Harley Quinn Annual #1
Arkham Manor #2
Batman Eternal #31
Arkham Manor #3
Batman Eternal #36
Batman Eternal #37
Batman Eternal #38
Batman Eternal #39
Batman Eternal #40
Batman #39
Batman Eternal #46
Batman Eternal #47
Arkham Manor #6
Batman Eternal #48
Batman Eternal #49
Batman Eternal #50
Batman Eternal #51
Batman #40
Batman Annual #4
Catwoman #49
Batman #51

Wow I must have a terrible memory because I have almost half of those issues. I never actually finished Eternal though.

frye

I don't think I ever read Another Nail, but JLA: The Nail is a pretty great looking Alan Davis/Mark Farmer Elseworlds.

Batwoman #14
Batman #16
Swamp Thing #16
Animal Man #17
Batman and Robin #17
Swamp Thing #17
Batwoman #18
Birds of Prey #18
Birds of Prey #19
Birds of Prey #20
Aquaman #23.1
Detective Comics #23.2
Detective Comics #23.3
Forever Evil #1
The Flash #23.3
Harley Quinn #0
Detective Comics #27
Harley Quinn Annual #1
Arkham Manor #2
Batman Eternal #31
Arkham Manor #3
Batman Eternal #36
Batman Eternal #37
Batman Eternal #38
Batman Eternal #39
Batman Eternal #40
Batman #39
Batman Eternal #46
Batman Eternal #47
Arkham Manor #6
Batman Eternal #48
Batman Eternal #49
Batman Eternal #50
Batman Eternal #51
Batman #40
Batman Annual #4
Catwoman #49
Batman #51

And I thought my memory was good.

Zombine

Banned
My new Valiant book just came in the mail:

RtstHI0.jpg

Vibranium

Banned
JC alerted me to this but Parlov says his Punisher comic with Ennis is gonna be out soon which is a definite upgrade from "going to finish it soon" in october.

Fury: My War Gone By is probably still the best thing Marvel published this decade so yeaaaah get hyped bois

Can't wait! I love Parlov's style, this will be way better than whatever is happening in the current Punisher comic.

I would love to see more WWII Fury by the same creative team as well (I've got the avatar to show it). I wish Marvel wasn't pushing that Agents of SHIELD comic, bring back classic Nick.

Civil War II #4

YAY, now is fighty time, fighty time, blood blood blood.

Some people seem to be on the wrong side given their feelings on pre-crime but WHATEVER let's just THROW DOWN already. I wish we'd gotten more She-Hulk (and lol, remember how many people thought she was dead when all this started?). Hawkeye getting off for killing Hulk is probably supposed to stir shit up again among the fandom, but eh, saw it coming a mile away and don't really care...I mean he's a MURDERER and should go to jail but it's kinda silly to get real-world court systems involved when it comes to characters like the Hulk who, in the real world, would have been put down as soon as they found a way.

It's kinda funny that Carol was still able to get so many recruits when every issue she becomes more obviously wrong to the reader by about a 1000%. What a bunch of chumps.

I'm trying so hard to stop buying brand new comics, but you're all a bunch of filthy enablers. I have plenty of old books to read, and Image books drop in price so fast if you can just wait.

So far I have nothing new today. I'm doing good. I might slip with Civil War, but we'll see.

Owzers

I'm trying so hard to stop buying brand new comics, but you're all a bunch of filthy enablers. I have plenty of old books to read, and Image books drop in price so fast if you can just wait.

So far I have nothing new today. I'm doing good. I might slip with Civil War, but we'll see.

Buy civil war #4, what else are you going to do with the money, donate it to hungry children? You gotta know whose side people are on again! What's this Carol character up to?

Hey at least we aren't as bad as the LEGO thread, I can barely even go in there anymore
I've conquered that mountain finally. I used to buy so many Legos, and it was a completely unfocused scattershot.

I sold a bunch of stuff, and now all I have is Rey's Speeder and a Stitch minifigure. And for future plans, all I want to do is get a Brick Bank and set up a basic scene of Spider-Man thwarting a robbery.

Now I'm working on conquering the comics beast. I need to cut out every new release that I can tolerate.

It's a lot of fun. Arnold Drake is very underrated.

Very good. It's very weird and fun, and honestly I probably like it more than Morrison's run (full disclosure, I love Silver Age comics). I know Tyrant has been reading it and likes it as well.

LOL just after I bought it all used this year

It's really good, I think you'd like it a lot.

I grew up reading a lot of 60s Spider-Man so I'm a bit biased. Don't know if I would recommend it to everyone.

Another book to add to the wishlist. -_-

Says the person who just sold me some books that I had no idea existed at about this time last week. -_-

Hey at least we aren't as bad as the LEGO thread, I can barely even go in there anymore

I unsubscribed for that reason (but I keep lurking sometimes.) The 911 dragged me back in.

kmfdmpig

THEY ARE FINALLY REPRINTING DINIS ZATANNA SERIES ALL IN ONE BOOK. FUUUUUUUUUUCK YESSSSSS

That's one of my favorite runs in the last 10 years or so. We need more books with a similar tone. I thought Starfire came fairly close at times, but it wasn't quite as good.

BrightLightLava

Unconfirmed Member
Civil War II #4

YAY, now is fighty time, fighty time, blood blood blood.

Some people seem to be on the wrong side given their feelings on pre-crime but WHATEVER let's just THROW DOWN already. I wish we'd gotten more She-Hulk (and lol, remember how many people thought she was dead when all this started?). Hawkeye getting off for killing Hulk is probably supposed to stir shit up again among the fandom, but eh, saw it coming a mile away and don't really care...I mean he's a MURDERER and should go to jail but it's kinda silly to get real-world court systems involved when it comes to characters like the Hulk who, in the real world, would have been put down as soon as they found a way.

It's kinda funny that Carol was still able to get so many recruits when every issue she becomes more obviously wrong to the reader by about a 1000%. What a bunch of chumps.

What's crazy to me is how
so obviously, she is in the wrong.

It's not even close. They just had her arrest someone who did nothing and all of teh psychics that SHIELD had to offer couldn't find any proof, and she just doubles down. I mean at this point, it would only really make sense if she's been replaced by a Skrull or something and then real Carol shows up at the end with a whole new personality, because it just makes no sense that they're ruining the character just as they're getting into gear on her movie.

What's crazy to me is how
so obviously, she is in the wrong.

It's not even close. They just had her arrest someone who did nothing and all of teh psychics that SHIELD had to offer couldn't find any proof, and she just goes along with it anyway. I mean at this point, it would only really make sense if she's been replaced by a Skrull or something and then real Carol shows up at the end with a whole new personality, because it just makes no sense that they're ruining the character just as they're getting into gear on her movie.

Actually it makes perfect sense from a meta/business perspective.

They did the same thing with Tony Stark. I believe it was more of a careless accident then but it worked out pretty damn well for them...the character was really going nowhere pre-Civil War, he got a bump from Ellis and Extremis, true, but that was the first bright spot in a long time. Then Civil War made him such a horrible, insufferable asshole they literally had to reboot his brain to make him a readable character again. All that positioned him perfectly to absorb the essence of RDJ, becoming a much more enjoyable character.

Think about where Carol is right now as a character. She's really not that popular, she has maybe one classic villain to her name...she just doesn't move books and a lot of people already don't like her. And it seems like Marvel is hoping lightning strikes twice here, so now she's having her Civil War Moment where she effectively descends into villainy. From here I expect events to unfold in such a way leading up to the movie that she's primed to absorb the essence of Brie Larson and start fresh. Maybe you're right and she's a skrull, maybe it's something else, but they are definitely prepping for Captain Carol 2.0.

tim1138

Do you think it would hold up for a pretty new comics reader like me?

I'm always reluctant to recommend Silver Age stuff, I think comics from that era are a bit of an acquired taste for people new to the hobby. I think the writing and art holds up remarkably well, but I love stuff from that time period. I hate linking to scans daily, but will make an exception in this case. The art will look much better in the reprints since it won't be a shitty scan, but this will give you an example of the style and the writing.

Here's the first appearance of Beast Boy - http://scans-daily.dreamwidth.org/1145146.html?thread=34820154&style=light

Top Bottom