• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| July 2016. Everyone Loves A Hero, Everyone Loves You

Sandfox

Old Man Logan continues to be great and make me not miss young Logan. Lemire is killing it with this book and Moon Knight.

Captain America Steve Rogers is ridiculous in a good way and I can't wait for the other Cap related books to bring their pieces of the puzzle over. This run is improving in my eyes with each issue. Spencer also keeps bringing back characters that I've been looking to see recently as if he's reading my mind lol.

Fairbairn can be great, but he does have books where I actively dislike his work. For example, All Star Superman. I dream of what that book would look like with a flatter palette. That ugly gradient shading and glowy highlighting really hurts Quitely's work in that book.

fairbairn didnt even color all-star superman, so this post is twice as wrong!

Messi

Y'all remember that amazing Shazam Convergence issue by Doc Shaner?

-1.png

convergence-shazam-1-page-5.jpg

That was Jordie too.

VanWinkle

I don't know if Fco Plascencia is always as on point as he was on his work in Batman with Capullo, but that is some of my favorite coloring ever. Zero Year was just mindblowing.

Y'all remember that amazing Shazam Convergence issue by Doc Shaner?

That was Jordie too.

MAN I love Doc Shaner's art. Has that Cooke timelessness.

tim1138

He works with Paquette a lot, right? Great colorist.

Paquette, Bryan Lee O'Malley, and Chris Burnham among others.

Fairbairn can be great, but he does have books where I actively dislike his work. For example, All Star Superman. I dream of what that book would look like with a flatter palette. That ugly gradient shading and glowy highlighting really hurts Quitely's work in that book.

Can I have your copy of All Star Supes that Fairbairn colored? Jamie Grant did a fine job, but I bet Fairbairn's version would be the greatest comic of all time

Boogiepop

So, I read the first volume of Prez last night, and I really enjoyed it. Which I was worried about, both because the title of the volume focusing on corndogs had me worried I was getting into some sort of low grade Deadpool "lol, this food sounds funny so I will reference it a lot" style humor, and because I REALLY disliked the political stuff in Ex Machina (got about 3 volumes in before getting sick of the strawmen and the way the main character felt like he was just there to deliver the author's political commentary at the reader. Which kind of applies here as well, but for several reasons I'm too lazy to lay out, I felt like it worked a TON better with this book. Oh, and I think I had issues with the art on Ex Machina too, but it's been a while).

So yeah, pleasantly pleased with that one, considering I was a little worried going in to it.

TheFlow

Banned
Batgirl #1
nothing amazing but it was solid. Love the art, didn't notice the drop in art quality in some panels. I was too busy analyzing the fight scene panels towards the end.

3.5/5 slightly above average, but this sounds like a training arc, and I love training arcs. won't drop

Nightwing #1

the whole lead up to Dick's meet up with his new
partner was soooo good
Nightwing is my favorite bat character, and I think Orlando might finally give us some happiness. sike!
Raptor beating his ass down like a dog, and delivering the best line of the year is how you do it

5/5 because Dick got an intervention

Detective comics #937

oh man, so many critical details in this book. All the questions have been answered, so I guess it is time for the fighting.

Also yea, the coloring/art in this book was hands down amazing. like Green Arrow amazing.

5/5 best bat book on the market

Wonder Woman #3

What a fast paced issue. Never cared for Cheetah till now.

4/5 I won't be able to pronounce those names

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops

Speaking of Batwoman, does her 52 run stay good even after Rucka and Williams leave?

Batwoman is something I've always wanted to get into but I've been hesitant cus of their departure, I always hate when different writers or artists come in the middle of a title.

A-Force #7
Good issue with an ending that I remain conflicted on. I still enjoy this book, but I'm not sure if it's going to get better or worse with CW2. We shall see.

Nighthawk #3
hivy-dance-o.gif

All-New Inhumans #9
This got very dark very fast. Ana Kravinoff for favorite character of the year. Goddamn this book yet again goes back to delivering. Arc started rough, but it's getting back on track. Shame it'll be getting cancelled.

Thunderbolts #3
Yeah we're done. Don't know what purpose this book serves, nor do I know where it's going and this book had failed to make me care about either of those. It failed last issue, but I stuck around because of the Inhumans. Squadron Supreme ain't keeping me, though. Sorry fam.

Thanks for posting that page JC, that's the one I was talking about. So good.

Speaking of Batwoman, does her 52 run stay good even after Rucka and Williams leave?

Batwoman is something I've always wanted to get into but I've been hesitant cus of their departure, I always hate when different writers or artists come in the middle of a title.

The New 52 stuff was still pretty good with JHW3 and Blackman. It's not Elegy level but the art is still amazing.

No reason to read once Blackman/JHW3 leave though.

BrightLightLava

Unconfirmed Member
Doom Patrol is going full Morrison as I get into volume 3 (not that it wasn't before).

I get that this what you go to Morrison for, but when you have sentences like, "We're talking here of the Orthodoxy of the Insect Mesh. The one true church of the cage. Our enemies are the ultraquist geomancers... Whose refusal to accept the sanctity of the pheromone communion preceded their attempt to secede from the orthodoxy."

I mean, what?

And this whole issue was like this. Just two different sides spouting abstract concept after abstract concept with made up words on top of made up words. I take it that they're giving two sides of the same story, as we have heroes on both sides, but it's just absolute nonsense.

BrightLightLava

Unconfirmed Member
So what's the difference between Superman/Action Comics and Batman/Detective Comics? Why do they have two different series?

Currently, Batman is about Batman and Detective Comics is about a team that Batman put together that is lead by Batwoman. Historically, I've never been entirely sure what the difference is. Tone, I guess?

Edit: oops, sorry for the double post.

Sandfox

A-Force #7
Good issue with an ending that I remain conflicted on. I still enjoy this book, but I'm not sure if it's going to get better or worse with CW2. We shall see.

Nighthawk #3
hivy-dance-o.gif

All-New Inhumans #9
This got very dark very fast. Ana Kravinoff for favorite character of the year. Goddamn this book yet again goes back to delivering. Arc started rough, but it's getting back on track. Shame it'll be getting cancelled.

Thunderbolts #3
Yeah we're done. Don't know what purpose this book serves, nor do I know where it's going and this book had failed to make me care about either of those. It failed last issue, but I stuck around because of the Inhumans. Squadron Supreme ain't keeping me, though. Sorry fam.

Thunderbolts is clearly just there to show what Bucky and Kobik are up to while Spencer writes his Cap books. I'm expecting us to eventually get a Zemo led team after the character is moved away from the direction Remender put him in.

Doom Patrol is going full Morrison as I get into volume 3 (not that it wasn't before).

I get that this what you go to Morrison for, but when you have sentences like, "We're talking here of the Orthodoxy of the Insect Mesh. The one true church of the cage. Our enemies are the ultraquist geomancers... Whose refusal to accept the sanctity of the pheromone communion preceded their attempt to secede from the orthodoxy."

I mean, what?

And this whole issue was like this. Just two different sides spouting abstract concept after abstract concept with made up words on top of made up words. I take it that they're giving two sides of the same story, as we have heroes on both sides, but it's just absolute nonsense.
Always worth mentioning: Morrison had not yet experimented with drugs by that point in his career.

The Ultimates #9
Is that not the most Kirby design you ever did see? Holy shit that is cosmic Marvel incarnate. Well done Rocafort, well done.

So
I have an idea of what the cage is, but I'm intrigued by who is the jailer? I'm thinking Ulysses.
Thunderbolts is clearly just there to show what Bucky and Kobik are up to while Spencer writes his Cap books. I'm expecting us to eventually get a Zemo led team after the character is moved away from the direction Remender put him in.
Well I'm not interested in filler. Maybe I'll jump back on when it gets somewhere, but until then I'm fine keeping still.
That whole run justified by one page.
I liked that book a lot. Fuck the haters

Oh crap, CMX has that Doom Force one-shot!

Plenty of people have made comics mocking the mess that the Image founders made out of American comics in the early 90s, but the difference with Morrison's parody is that he did it in 1992.

So what's the difference between Superman/Action Comics and Batman/Detective Comics? Why do they have two different series?

Historically, relics of another time when the most popular characters carried multiple books. Though they've differentiated them considerably in Rebirth: Action comics is focused on Lex and Supes whereas Superman is focused on Supes and his relationship with his wife and son, Batman is strictly about Batman and Detective is about a team.

VanWinkle

Welp. Down as I was on Nightwing Rebirth #1 (which was very), Nightwing #1 is EXCELLENT. I liked the art way better than Paquette's on Rebirth #1. I don't know it is with Paquette, sometimes I really like his artwork and sometimes it just doesn't impress me at all. This Fernandez guy does a really good job with facial expressions which I ALWAYS love. A lot of artists, even good ones, can't really capture much nuance or variety to expressions.

But anyway, I'm fully on board. Seeley seems like a good writer.

So, I read the first volume of Prez last night, and I really enjoyed it. Which I was worried about, both because the title of the volume focusing on corndogs had me worried I was getting into some sort of low grade Deadpool "lol, this food sounds funny so I will reference it a lot" style humor, and because I REALLY disliked the political stuff in Ex Machina (got about 3 volumes in before getting sick of the strawmen and the way the main character felt like he was just there to deliver the author's political commentary at the reader. Which kind of applies here as well, but for several reasons I'm too lazy to lay out, I felt like it worked a TON better with this book. Oh, and I think I had issues with the art on Ex Machina too, but it's been a while).

So yeah, pleasantly pleased with that one, considering I was a little worried going in to it.
I'm really happy we're getting another volume in the Fall.

My plane has landed in Sweden. Really tired. Will try to get some shut eye. Surprised to hear that Red Hood is great.

zzzzzzz

Neoxon

So I decided to spend the night catching up on Spidey. Reading it with the Spectacular Spider-Man & Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes cast in my head really enhanced the experience.

Only got to read two books last night.

Tec was pretty good, and Action was boring as hell. It seriously has like one more issue to go in any direction at all or I'm done with it.

We can only go so many issues with people saying "You owe me some answers." I don't care that you bring in new people to say the same damn thing it's still just a reminder that this book is going fucking nowhere.

Detective Comics #937 - ★★★★★ - This is the Batman book you're looking for, even if it's not written by a trained CIA super assassin. Detective does what King don't. It only costs $2.99.
Man I keep seeing good things about Tec Comics on here and getting excited to check it out... What issue did this "new" creative team arc start? When they renumbering started?

Snyder's Batman run was gold. Will go down in history as one of the greats, considering it's long length and big memorable arcs.

Grayson is the only other thing I've read from King (co-written by him and Seeley), and it was only the first trade paperback worth. I thought it was great, but it was co-written. However, despite my big disappointment of Batman, it's not going to sour my hype for reading Vision and Omega Men, which were both almost universally praised. But, I mean, I can't help but feel let down by the guy here.

Yup yup, my fav. Proudly own every issue (actually I think I need #13) and have #1 CGC singed by Snyder, Capullo and Glapion. :) my holy grail

Top Bottom