• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| July 2016. Everyone Loves A Hero, Everyone Loves You

Ross61

It's actually worse than I even realized, now that I've gone back and looked at the solicitations. In the solicitations, Evan Shaner was listed as the sole artist for issues 1-3. And that's big for me, because I'm a huge fan of Jeff Parker and Evan Shaner as a team. They did a fantastic Flash Gordon run, and Shazam for Convergence.

The first issue ended up having two artists. Evan Shaner did pages 1-19, and 28-30, while Steve Rude did 20-27. I know how that one breaks down by page because I actually have that one.

For issue two, I haven't seen the in-issue credits page to see how it's divided, but CMX credits both Shaner and Jonathan Case.

For issue three, Shaner had nothing to do with it, even though he was the only artist listed in the solicitations. CMX says that issue is drawn by Steve Rude and Aaron Lopresti. Though the credits page is part of the preview and that only mentions Steve Rude. Maybe there's a second story that Lopresti did?

Then I looked for the solicitation for issue four, and that says the contents of that issue were originally planned to be issue three.

I wonder what's going on.
This is the solication from Bleeding Cool for issue #3:

This issue is a “Vortex Tales” special written by Jeff Parker.

In the first tale, with art by Steve Rude, Birdman and Agent Deva Sumadi discover a F.E.A.R. secret rendezvous with a terrifying force that the terror organization can’t control-but can Birdman?

And in the second story, with art by Aaron Lopresti and Karl Kesel, race across the galaxy to learn the secrets behind the incredible power of the mech-crushing monsters, The Herculoids!

FUTURE QUEST #3 is on Final Order Cutoff on July 4 with an on-sale date of July 27.

So where's everybody at with Rebirth? What are your biggest surprises? Top five books? Biggest letdowns?

My top five:
Superman (biggest surprise)
Detective Comics (also a really nice surprise)
New Super-Man (actually this surprised me too)
Green Arrow

...hmmm I guess I only have a top four. I'm still pulling more than five but nothing really deserving of that last spot. Wonder Woman is closest.

Biggest letdowns:
Batman
Justice League
Aquaman
Birds of Prey

YUUUUUUP. Underrated book.

Your list echos mine completely. Batman is a letdown only because I expected more but I'm still liking it and expecting it to turn around with the most recent issue being the best of the run so far.

Biggest surprise is easily Green Arrow. Went into Rebirth completely hating percy's last run and I was dreading his future run on TT but he's completely shocked me and now I'm actually looking forward to it.

Vic_Viper

Are there any decent X-books going on right now aside from Extraordinary? I'm currently reading through Whedon's Astonishing X-Men and was hoping to find an ongoing series to start reading after. As mentioned a few posts up I've heard some bad things about Uncanny. If not is there anything else good going on right now? I read Invincible Iron-Man, Captain America: Sam Wilson and Amazing Spider-man up until about January.

Yea I also recommend Uncanny Avengers. The first arc imo was horrible but everything after so far has been awesome. It obviously cant compare to Remmender's run on Uncanny X-Force/Avengers but what is really neat is the current arc in Uncanny Avengers is picking up threads left from Remender's Ultron OGN.

Just started reading Deadly Class and have been really enjoying it. Glad I picked it up instead of Black Science. Also have been reading Sheriff of Babylon and Velvet. Both have been really good so far. I think Tom King does much better with stuff like SoB rather than trying to shoehorn his expertise into a story that doesnt really work well with it. Havent read his Grayson stuff yet but plan too and so far his Batman has been a huge letdown after Scott Snyder's run.

What makes Galactus different from a Celestial?

The Celestials are effectively gods, responsible for the creation of the multiverse and the concepts of life and death. They have always been as they are, as far as I know, whereas Galactus was once a mortal humanoid, Galan. He was remade as Galactus during the Big Bang, and is the sole survivor of the pre-BB universe. I don't think he's actually at the same power level as the Celestials...? But I might be wrong about that.

edit: hmmm yeah I might be wrong about that. The Celestials are the children of Eternity whereas Galactus could be considered a manifestation of Eternity, so their relative power levels are debatable.

edit 2: Also, I believe the ability to imbue a mortal being with cosmic energy is unique to Galactus, as a manifestation of Eternity

And I have it on good authority that it's the only corrrect one. It's been proven scientifically.

It's so bizarre, because Albuquerque is over of my favorite comic artists, along with Fiona Staples. This book looks nice, but it's not even close to his best work. Someone else said he was phoning it in, and I wouldn't go that far but I'll admit he wasn't on his A game.

Batgirl was pretty much in line with the rest of Rebirth so far. Not bad, not great. It's a comic. It has pictures, and costs $2.99.

Yep pretty much. I've got plenty of those already so it was an easy drop.

Felt the same way about Birds of Prey

Same. A lot of one and done Rebirth books for me. I've given everything but Red Hood a shot so far. It's a mixed bag, but only a handful of books have kept my interest. I was wondering how much I wanted to drop each month on comics, but DC has made that decision easy for me.

Another tease at GA #4:
Coc8Zk7WcAAF2if

It's so bizarre, because Albuquerque is over of my favorite comic artists, along with Fiona Staples. This book looks nice, but it's not even close to his best work. Someone else said he was phoning it in, and I wouldn't go that far but I'll admit he wasn't on his A game.

Batgirl was pretty much in line with the rest of Rebirth so far. Not bad, not great. It's a comic. It has pictures, and costs $2.99.

I'm actually not particularly familiar with Albuquerque so it's certainly possible that this is not his best work but as my introduction to him (at least I think it's the first time I've seen his work) I thought it looked beautiful but I have nothing else to compare it to. I read Batgirl with low expectations, I didn't know the writer either, I don't particularly care for Barbara Gordon as Batgirl (Cassandra!) and I thought last week's issue of Birds of Prey was kind of meh. And this issue was just the kind of lighthearted superhero book I always like to see from DC, I was a big fan of Starfire and the Conner / Palmiotti books in general aside from the Harley Quinn overkill.

Some reviews of comics I've read in the past 24 hours:

Black Panther 4:
Kind of a stage setting issue.
It was fine.

Captain America: Steve Rogers 3:
So Cap is rebelling against the Red Skull but for the good of Hydra? His motives were not totally clear to me by the end of the issue. I'm glad Selvig isn't dead and it was nice to see Taskmaster. Cap crushed him, jesus.
Interesting read.

Captain Marvel 7: This is a super boring read (mild CWII 4 spoilers)
and doesn't do enough to justify Carol's use of Ulysses. In my opinion she crossed the line as soon as she started going after people for every crime under the sun, though she was obviously overwhelmingly over the line in this week's issue of Civil War II. Also it's funny Iron Man is on the cover of every issue of this arc so far and I don't think he's actually popped up once? I don't know, the last issue was so forgettable.
One more bad issue and I'm gonna drop this

Cryptocracy 2: This is a neat little book even if it is a little hard to follow at times. I'm not sure I can fully recommend it at this point but it definitely has the potential to turn into something special. We'll see how the next couple of issues go.

Detective Comics 937: Who knew this would be *the* Batman book in Rebirth? It's crazy good, even if
I'm pretty sure the "army of rogue Batmen" thing has been done before? I dunno, I'm not super into it yet, especially the idea they've been operating for years, murdering dozens of people at a time, and Batman somehow never caught wind of it? Were they active during Batman Inc.?
Also, something that has been bugging me:
did Clayface ever actually get some sort of redemption story? He's a really cool addition to the team but the last time I saw him was during the little two issue story during Snyder's run and he was clearly still a Bad Guy there, right? Am I remembering it wrong? Did I miss something?

Drifter 13: I'll be honest, I don't know what the fuck is going on in this book half the time, even if I do enjoy it. I'm finally to the point where I can recognize most of the characters by sight even if I don't know their names yet. That said shit goes down in this issue, that part was easy enough to follow and was fucking wild. I'm looking forward to re-reading this series once it's finished.

Onward to East of West (YAY), Extraordinary X-Men and (gulp) The Flash...

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
I love the Babs cover

Yeah that's a good one. Would definitely catch my eye on the shelf.

Some reviews of comics I've read in the past 24 hours:

Drifter 13: I'll be honest, I don't know what the fuck is going on in this book half the time, even if I do enjoy it. I'm finally to the point where I can recognize most of the characters by sight even if I don't know their names yet. That said shit goes down in this issue, that part was easy enough to follow and was fucking wild. I'm looking forward to re-reading this series once it's finished.

HAHA Yep I'd say that's exactly where I'm at too. The only name I can remember off the top of my head is Gita because Gita is awesome. Which means she is going to die.

I'm actually not particularly familiar with Albuquerque so it's certainly possible that this is not his best work but as my introduction to him (at least I think it's the first time I've seen his work) I thought it looked beautiful but I have nothing else to compare it to.

American Vampire. His work on that book is simply stunning. Snyder and Albuquerque tore shit up on that book.

My used copy of Spider-Man/Wolverine feels almost like a new copy. No dents, no faulty binding, no rips, and no wrinkled pages. And it was only $7 compared to paying $30 for a new copy.

He uses a lot of solid colors for his background during action scenes. The art is strong when he's drawing Batgirl doing stuff.

tim1138

It's actually worse than I even realized, now that I've gone back and looked at the solicitations. In the solicitations, Evan Shaner was listed as the sole artist for issues 1-3. And that's big for me, because I'm a huge fan of Jeff Parker and Evan Shaner as a team. They did a fantastic Flash Gordon run, and Shazam for Convergence.

The first issue ended up having two artists. Evan Shaner did pages 1-19, and 28-30, while Steve Rude did 20-27. I know how that one breaks down by page because I actually have that one.

For issue two, I haven't seen the in-issue credits page to see how it's divided, but CMX credits both Shaner and Jonathan Case.

For issue three, Shaner had nothing to do with it, even though he was the only artist listed in the solicitations. CMX says that issue is drawn by Steve Rude and Aaron Lopresti. Though the credits page is part of the preview and that only mentions Steve Rude. Maybe there's a second story that Lopresti did?

Then I looked for the solicitation for issue four, and that says the contents of that issue were originally planned to be issue three.

I wonder what's going on.

Doc and his wife had a baby

BrightLightLava

Unconfirmed Member
Captain America: Steve Rogers 3:
So Cap is rebelling against the Red Skull but for the good of Hydra? His motives were not totally clear to me by the end of the issue. I'm glad Selvig isn't dead and it was nice to see Taskmaster. Cap crushed him, jesus.
Interesting read.

I loved this issue.
At one point Nice Spencer retweeted someone that asked about what Kobik thinks Hydra is like, given that Kobik rewrote his memories to make him believe in her version of Hydra. I think what he's going for is the difference between a group and the people that are now leading it. It's like the current Republican Party, where Red Skull is Donald Trump/The Tea Party and Steve Rodgers is John McCain, maybe? I don't know, he's an a old school republican who was in it for the small government and individual responsibility. At least I think that's what he is going for.

As for Rebirth,

Like:

Superman
Green Arrow

Sticking With:

Batman

Dropped:
Flash
Aquaman
Detective Comics (I liked it, but this saves me $6 a month)

Too Soon to call:
Nightwing
Super-Man

Messi

American Vampire. His work on that book is simply stunning. Snyder and Albuquerque tore shit up on that book.

I think he has bed phoning in the art in American Vampire too. Ever since Second Cycle began the quality of art dropped. Go and look at the first few volumes and compare. He does this wierd wash thing now and it messes up his art imo.

I think he has bed phoning in the art in American Vampire too. Ever since Second Cycle began the quality of art dropped. Go and look at the first few volumes and compare. He does this wierd wash thing now and it messes up his art imo.

I just realized I've never even touched the second cycle stuff. I read through everything before that in two days and decided to take a long break. Time to jump back in.

Sandfox

I loved this issue.
At one point Nice Spencer retweeted someone that asked about what Kobik thinks Hydra is like, given that Kobik rewrote his memories to make him believe in her version of Hydra. I think what he's going for is the difference between a group and the people that are now leading it. It's like the current Republican Party, where Red Skull is Donald Trump/The Tea Party and Steve Rodgers is John McCain, maybe? I don't know, he's an a old school republican who was in it for the small government and individual responsibility. At least I think that's what he is going for.

As for Rebirth,

Like:

Superman
Green Arrow

Sticking With:

Batman

Dropped:
Flash
Aquaman
Detective Comics (I liked it, but this saves me $6 a month)

Too Soon to call:
Nightwing
Super-Man
Cap spoilers:
Kobik has a fairytale like view of Hydra so Steve in turn now has that and feels that the Red Skull is leading it away from that. This book is getting even crazier.

I love the Babs cover

Babs cover best cover.

More recently, he did a really nice job on Huck as well.

Joker/Harley Bombshell is down to 64.52. How low can it go?

Eh. It's a good price, but I just do NOT like that piece.

I will agree with this statement. But I think Snyder has been phoning it in, too. Second Cycle is nowhere near as captivating as the first run of American Vampire, outside of maybe the first three or four issues.

What? Who is that? #NotMySuperman

Messi

Babs cover best cover.

More recently, he did a really nice job on Huck as well.

Eh. It's a good price, but I just do NOT like that piece.

I will agree with this statement. But I think Snyder has been phoning it in, too. Second Cycle is nowhere near as captivating as the first run of American Vampire, outside of maybe the first three or four issues.

What? Who is that? #NotMySuperman

I think it's pretty clear both dudes are checked out on American Vampire. There should never have been a second cycle imo.

Top Bottom