• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| July 2016. Everyone Loves A Hero, Everyone Loves You

PsychBat!

Banned
Why does this matter? I like seeing them in stories and I'd rather have them than not. What does sending them back achieve?

Great to see Kate and America have outgrown books like this too. Hopefully it means marvel will treat them like adults

It's a tired plot thread. It was neat when they first did it, and it was fun for a while. But the point of Secret Wars was to avoid this precise thing.

They are still around because there book sells. Simple as that.

This is the same Jean that isn't with them anymore?

ibcggxvja2hweik3ujt99sst.gif

Caught up on Invincible. Pretty good so far.

TheFlow

Banned
I am going to wait till those absolutes are just about caught up then bulk buy them. Preacher, y the last man, and trans will definitely go on my shelf though

I am going to wait till those absolutes are just about caught up then bulk buy them. Preacher, y the last man, and trans will definitely go on my shelf though

I've been debating over picking up the Y Absolutes. I already have the deluxe hardcovers, though. Not really sure I want to buy the series again.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
East of West is something that I'll read one day, maybe once it's over, but I know I'll definitely read it.

Sandfox

I'm curious to see what happens with Avengers. Assuming they use one of the current team books as a base they could go in multiple directions.

I didn't write off the yearly Marvel relaunch but I'm not terribly excited for it. None of the new stuff announced so far really catches my attention. It's cool that Vision's daughter is in that team book but I can't say I'm interested in it right now.

As long as they keep Squirrel Girl on the stands though, I'll be happy.

Vic_Viper

So my usps delivery lady gave me someone else's package instead of my Geoff Johns Teen Titans Omnibus :( What Do I Do!?!!?

I ordered it from a third party seller on Amazon. I got one package from IST but instead of the other package I was given someone else's box. I'm hoping she didn't give mine to them and I won't know till I call tomorrow morning. Anyone ever have this happen before? Who's at fault? I've read online that it's the sellers fault/responsible for replacing or refunding, not the post office but how is that possible? Will Amazon take care of it if it's a 3rd party seller of the post office doesn't have it?

I didn't write off the yearly Marvel relaunch but I'm not terribly excited for it. None of the new stuff announced so far really catches my attention. It's cool that Vision's daughter is in that team book but I can't say I'm interested in it right now.

As long as they keep Squirrel Girl on the stands though, I'll be happy.

I'm kind of done doing lists personally. I'm only going to buy comics in bundles, stuff I actually want to read right now, and the occasional nice hardcover for the shelf. Feeling like I have to try everything from multiple relaunches per year isn't just a drain on the wallet, it's a mental drain as well. Most of it just sits unread anyway.

The event I'm most looking forward to this summer starts tomorrow anyway, Doctor Who: Supremacy of the Cybermen. My favourite Who villains in a multi-New Doctor story. Yes please! If this is half as good as last year's Four Doctors it will easily make my best of the year list.

Owzers

Finally read Waid's ANAD Avengers #1, i have no strong opinions on it outside of the main story feeling like average comic stuff, nothing remarkable, weak plot. The back-up with Kamala/Nova was better but also seemed like it struggled to reach eight pages.

Too many Marvel books seem like they are out to achieve nothing, just buying time.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
Southern Bastards #14 - Awwwwwwww shit! Things are about to get real up in Craw County. Too bad the next one isn't coming out for a while.

BrightLightLava

Unconfirmed Member
Finally read Waid's ANAD Avengers #1, i have no strong opinions on it outside of the main story feeling like average comic stuff, nothing remarkable, weak plot. The back-up with Kamala/Nova was better but also seemed like it struggled to reach eight pages.

Too many Marvel books seem like they are out to achieve nothing, just buying time.

I think this is the big problem with so many of the great writers jumping ship as soon as they're big enough to release creator owned books. You get a lot of stories that are plot driven (which can still be very good and enjoyable) but they never feel like they're really about anything.

It's kind of crazy to look at the way top creators are able to find financial success in independent, creator-owned material and look back at the formation of Image comics. I had no appreciation for how significant that was at the time.

Robert Kirkman had a lot to do with this change too.

Reading New 52 Justice League. Five issues in and I'm enjoying it so far. Except for Cyborg as part of the team. Terrible decision. He didn't work in the 80s, and he doesn't work in 2016.

It's kind of crazy to look at the way top creators are able to find financial success in independent, creator-owned material and look back at the formation of Image comics. I had no appreciation for how significant that was at the time.

Robert Kirkman had a lot to do with this change too.

They didn't elevate him to founder status for nothing!

Invincible and The Walking Dead were how I started with Image, since getting 90s Image wasn't really available here outside of the odd random issue of Spawn.

But yeah, if I were a creator, as much as I like Marvel and DC I would jump ship as soon as I could. Leaving aside the money, if you've got that one idea you've held onto your whole creative life, that's why you got into comics, right? I know I would value the freedom much, much more.

That's not everyone of course, someone like James Roberts only wants to write Transformers and he's really good at it.

Duress

So my usps delivery lady gave me someone else's package instead of my Geoff Johns Teen Titans Omnibus :( What Do I Do!?!!?

I ordered it from a third party seller on Amazon. I got one package from IST but instead of the other package I was given someone else's box. I'm hoping she didn't give mine to them and I won't know till I call tomorrow morning. Anyone ever have this happen before? Who's at fault? I've read online that it's the sellers fault/responsible for replacing or refunding, not the post office but how is that possible? Will Amazon take care of it if it's a 3rd party seller of the post office doesn't have it?

You should keep it, if it's that much of a hassle. >_>

mreddie

They didn't elevate him to founder status for nothing!

Invincible and The Walking Dead were how I started with Image, since getting 90s Image wasn't really available here outside of the odd random issue of Spawn.

But yeah, if I were a creator, as much as I like Marvel and DC I would jump ship as soon as I could. Leaving aside the money, if you've got that one idea you've held onto your whole creative life, that's why you got into comics, right? I know I would value the freedom much, much more.

That's not everyone of course, someone like James Roberts only wants to write Transformers and he's really good at it.

The way I see it, almost all Image books are basically visual scripts for someone to adapt into a TV Show/Movie.

Waid likes doing cape books but then, he can do stuff like Irrdeemable or Arron/Lemire/Spencer who play both sides of the coin. Kirkman got lucky establishing Image in the mid 2000s and made them. IDW is close but I think they're morphing into Hasbro Comics. Dark Horse is still decent but I think with Hellboy wrapping up, they're gonna be a niche name.

Dunno about everyone else. I say if you can make the Big Two happy and be free with your own shit and be a big deal, you got it made.

I could use some Valiant recs. I'm looking for good series where I won't have to buy a pile of books to catch up. Like, X-O Manowar is way up there is issues, so that's out. I already have the Valiant on my list.

Minis
Faith
Dr. Mirage
The Valiant
Ivar, Timewalker
Divinity
Divinity II

25(-ish) Issues
Archer & Armstrong
Harbinger

Ongoing
Bloodshot Reborn (14 issues)
A&A (4 issues)
Rai (14 issues)
Ninjak (15 issues)
Faith ongoing (not started yet)

God forbid we would actually allow them to reveal the books in the initiative before being written off.

This is the internet, snap judgments are who we are.

The way I see it, almost all Image books are basically visual scripts for someone to adapt into a TV Show/Movie.

I don't blame people for wanting to get paid. It's better to actually be in charge of the script than have to adapt your script to the whims of somebody else's script in another medium who's probably less talented than you and being paid far more.

IDW seem quite happy to be Hasbro Comics in fairness. They've already had Transformers crossover issues packed in with the Thrilling 30 and Combiner Wars toy lines. And they're really pushing the upcoming Revolution thing that's basically a dry run for the Hasbro Cinematic Universe. I'd be down for another Magic the Gathering comic as well, even if it's just more Dack Fayden.

mreddie

I don't blame people for wanting to get paid. It's better to actually be in charge of the script than have to adapt your script to the whims of somebody else's script in another medium who's probably less talented than you and being paid far more.

IDW seem quite happy to be Hasbro Comics in fairness. They've already had Transformers crossover issues packed in with the Thrilling 30 and Combiner Wars toy lines. And they're really pushing the upcoming Revolution thing that's basically a dry run for the Hasbro Cinematic Universe.

No, no problem getting paid. I just think Image is getting too overhyped for me. Paper Girls, Wicked and Fix are the only ones for me at the moment but I normally wait for paperbacks for them with Image releasing them a la TV.

You pretty much called it with IDW. I JUST WANT MY CLUE COMIC!

No, no problem getting paid. I just think Image is getting too overhyped for me. Paper Girls, Wicked and Fix are the only ones for me at the moment but I normally wait for paperbacks for them with Image releasing them a la TV.

You pretty much called it with IDW. I JUST WANT MY CLUE COMIC!

I can understand that. I'd be all for more publishers getting in on the game. It doesn't just have to be Image as a brand. I always got the impression that so many go to Image because you own what you make 100%, I'm not sure how your Booms and your IDWs work with that and whether they would even want to. Maybe it doesn't fit their business model. And at those companies, there's a place for those fans that just want to write the thing they are a fan of like James Roberts with Transformers, the Tiptons with Star Trek or Erik Burnham with Ghostbusters.

We already have the Clue movie, which is perfection. I'd probably read a Clue mini if the hook was good, but I don't know about a long running book. Knowing IDW, we'd get Clue/Transformers, Clue/Ghostbusters, Clue/The Crow and Mars Attacks Clue at some point.

mreddie

me saying no to giving marvel a chance is a shitpost? time for me to use that ignore button.

This is getting silly. NOW SHITPOST ABOUT SQUARE PIZZA!

latest

We already have the Clue movie, which is perfection. I'd probably read a Clue mini if the hook was good, but I don't know about a long running book. Knowing IDW, we'd get Clue/Transformers, Clue/Ghostbusters, Clue/The Crow and Mars Attacks Clue at some point.

Jem doesn't have that problem...yet.

Top Bottom