• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| July 2016. Everyone Loves A Hero, Everyone Loves You

That was the #1 thing I was excited about, looking at Rebirth on paper.

I think what he means is King's Batman has the absolute worst pacing of any comic I've read in 2016. If you don't like pages with sparse (or no) dialogue, you're barking up the wrong tree. Two of the three issues so far have had almost nothing happen in them, to the point that you could skip Rebirth and #2 altogether and be no worse for wear.

Somehow the DC book I was most hyped for is the worst of the bunch. Meanwhile, Green Arrow is killing it.

Messi

tumblr_inline_movwliquNs1qz4rgp.gif

Rebirth was a mistake

ElNarez

Banned
Man, I don't know what the fuck y'all want from a Batman book if you think Tom King is dropping the ball. I feel like it's elegantly building towards something, while delivering at least one huge pretty satisfying action setpiece in each issue. #2 was heavier on the dialogue, but it did so while setting up stories for the short term
(Batman tries guiding the new Gotham Kids)
, the long term
(the Monster Men, who we know are gonna be the Halloween event)
, and the even longer term
(Hugo Strange being in the mix for whatever reason)
. I wanna see at least one of those paying off before I write the book off as y'all are doing.

Sou Da

Superman #2 and Flinstones were head and shoulders the best DC books this week.

I don't what people saw in Justice League. KingBat did two things that really annoyed me to recommend it.

Man, I don't know what the fuck y'all want from a Batman book if you think Tom King is dropping the ball. I feel like it's elegantly building towards something, while delivering at least one huge pretty satisfying action setpiece in each issue. #2 was heavier on the dialogue, but it did so while setting up stories for the short term
, the long term
. I wanna see at least one of those paying off before I write the book off as y'all are doing.

im with u bruh

given that we’re about to have a sixth Spider-Man film with no Miles Morales and that Jane Foster is absent from Thor: Ragnarok, what are the odds that we’ll ever see Riri Williams on the big screen?

Oh come on. Miles didn't exist when three of those were released, and the fourth one was practically in the can when he debuted! And as much as I love JaneThor, the film franchise has tons of problems already, the average viewer would take a gigantic shit on the idea. You would see SO MANY "But why didn't Vision get the Power of Thor then?" threads here.

Oh come on. Miles didn't exist when three of those were released, and the fourth one was practically in the can when he debuted! And as much as I love JaneThor, the film franchise has tons of problems already, the average viewer would take a gigantic shit on the idea. You would see SO MANY "But why didn't Vision get the Power of Thor then?" threads here.
And Jane Foster is absent from Ragnarok because Marvel and Portman didn't have a good relationship, not because Marvel is shitting on the character. What a weird thing for them to bring up.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
I read The Fix, Southern Bastards, The Goddamned, Velvet, Lazarus, and Saga.

That's a really nice start.

Now is the time to add some of Birthright, Revival, Manifest Destiny, Deadly Class, East of West, The Wicked + The Divine, Monstress, Injection, Spread, and Paper Girls to the rotation. :)

mreddie

I wish both the big two would hire women to ease that shit.

Somebody mentioned not knowing why Tony doesn't remember living with Spidey and MJ in ASM...It's a continuity pull from Fraction's best arc in his Invincible Ironman run (#8-19).
Osborn, as the new head of HAMMER, wants the superhero registry from Civil War. Tony keeps it locked away in his head, so he goes about deleting his memory to keep it out Osborn's hand. At the end, his mind is wiped, but he restores his mind with a backup taken right before Civil War. Hence why Tony doesn't remember things that happened during Civil War, like living with the Parkers. #NoPrize

TheFlow

Banned
batman looks meh so I haven't picked up an issue yet outside of rebirth.

Aquaman getting rotating artist? cool with me.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Somebody mentioned not knowing why Tony doesn't remember living with Spidey and MJ in ASM...It's a continuity pull from Fraction's best arc in his Invincible Ironman run (#8-19).
Osborn, as the new head of HAMMER, wants the superhero registry from Civil War. Tony keeps it locked away in his head, so he goes about deleting his memory to keep it out Osborn's hand. At the end, his mind is wiped, but he restores his mind with a backup taken right before Civil War. Hence why Tony doesn't remember things that happened during Civil War, like living with the Parkers. #NoPrize
You really deserve the NoPrize.

Holy :D

I'm still surprised that no one in-universe has told him everything that happened those months. Someone could go up to him and say "This is your baby!" and he would have no clue if it's the truth or not.

I'm still happy Fraction erased his memory so the long road to redemption after CWI could begin.

ElNarez

Banned
where are my green arrow impressions?

Green Arrow did its big heavy clunky gear shift. It's necessary, and, it does it better than a lot of comic books I've read lately, but, it's reaaaal obvious it switched from one mode to another. I don't know how it's gonna pay off thematically, but it's real pretty, and it's doing enough with its symbolism to keep me interested.

Vic_Viper

Got my Teen Titans omni today! Was worried the usps lady screwed up and I wouldn't get it after giving me someone else's stuff.

IST has Deadly Class Deluxe Ed HC and the Avengers Time Runs Out HC finally. Really want Time runs out but I know I shouldn't.

We've known all along about the rotating artists on the new DC bi monthly books for awhile now. Plus how else do you think they would be able to pull that schedule off? I hope they go back to releasing them monthly after they get these first few issues out. Hope King can bring something new to Batman, after the last few guys he's got a lot to live up too.

Got my Teen Titans omni today! Was worried the usps lady screwed up and I wouldn't get it after giving me someone else's stuff.

IST has Deadly Class Deluxe Ed HC and the Avengers Time Runs Out HC finally. Really want Time runs out but I know I shouldn't.

We've known all along about the rotating artists on the new DC bi monthly books for awhile now. Plus how else do you think they would be able to pull that schedule off? I hope they go back to releasing them monthly after they get these first few issues out. Hope King can bring something new to Batman, after the last few guys he's got a lot to live up too.

The same way Marvel does it? Have artists on an arc and then swap out?

With Flintstones #1 coming out, I'm trying to catch up on the Hanna-Barbera books.

Flintstones was pretty great (and sad/touching at points), and Future Quest had me flipping the fuck out with nostalgia and how great it was. I think I'll go with Scooby next.

I wish both the big two would hire women to ease that shit.

I'm down for that. As much as the Rucka stuff's going to be good, and not really being a massive fan or anything, I am curious as to how a Wonder Woman run from Marguerite Bennett would have turned out. More new voices as well of course.

, the long term

Couldn't disagree more. There has been exactly one satisfying action piece across three issues, unless you're being very loose with what you define as action. Punching
Solomon
doesn't fit the bill. That's just like...a regular occurrence for Batman.

I don't think I'm writing off the book, seeing as I've bought all three issues. I'm arguing that the book was hyped to hell and hasn't come remotely close to delivering on its promise. I can't even argue that it has bad pacing, because that would require it to have some form of pacing whatsoever. It has none.

There may be some massive payoff down the road. Who knows? So far, it's been a hot mess. Not even close to as good as what Snyder gave us.

Ponn

Banned
They should just do an Iron Man Incorporated. They were kind of heading that way with Spider-Man but Iron Man would be absolutely perfect for a storyline like that. And I want to see an Iron Man New Zealand.

Jeez, I know this kind of stuff would eventually come up but not being able to get through one arc without having to use multiple artists is just sad.
The only thing I'm sad about is that publishers don't give artists the time they need. I hate this crap with DC refusing to deviate from rigid release schedules. So many otherwise great runs are ruined forever by this fill-in shit because DC was more concerned about pleasing a subset of the day one audience than the ongoing legacy of that work.

They should just do an Iron Man Incorporated. They were kind of heading that way with Spider-Man but Iron Man would be absolutely perfect for a storyline like that. And I want to see an Iron Man New Zealand.
Does Tony still own that island he took from the Mandarin back in Fraction or Gillen's runs?

Ross61

I already expected art swaps when multiple artist and double shippers where announced. Brad Walker had just come off of Sinestro a month earlier. No way he was gonna make 2 chapters in time. But, I don't expect it to sell well enough to keep the twice monthly schedule.

Top Bottom