• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| July 2016. Everyone Loves A Hero, Everyone Loves You

Zombine

Banned
Him approving of Rick's "Military Group" down from his cell was a good heads up as well. Hell, he could have escaped when they left his celldoor open and he didn't. Still, I'm surprised. I never expected him to change like this and play second fiddle to Rick. Essentially he will be Rick's attack dog. Interesting times.

I mean, Maggie won't be too thrilled with the prospect of Negan walking around freely.

The only thing that I feel like will piss him off is
finding out that Dwight has Lucile.

Sandfox

Pretty much. The books that can't support can easily switch to one month. There is so much room and gloom about DC that it is weird. We focusing on Aquaman out of the 5 books released this week?

Edit: I think after the first arc or after this year ends we will see some changes for sure.
Part of the issue is that some people don't trust the guys in charge of DC and it's only been a month.

I mean, some books aren't going to be able to support it? But some will. We also got 44 pages of fantastic Superman, Green Arrow, and Detective Comics over the last 30 days. idk.

Fair enough, fair enough. I didn't love Detective's latest ish but I'm looking forward to the new issues of Supes and GA. Maybe some books will be able to support it. If I were a betting man I'd wager we're talking about a minority of books/teams. But we'll see what happens.

I expect those books to keep double shipping, but that's a small sample size.

Well, in fairness to the point he's making, I'm only really talking about Aquaman, myself, and to a lesser extent Green Lanterns (which is a book I don't read anyway). Just couldn't help but come away from that book with a deep sense of foreboding and a gut feeling that DC didn't really plan this out very well.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
Hes now Alpha though, but I'm not so sure how a Dothraki/Kal Drogo type will last in this environment. I can see Rick's crew making easy work of that whole organization.

And in regards to that, more posturing. Dude
says a lot of things he doesn't mean. None of his people have ever once mentioned him killing their own children. He wouldn't even kill Carl on the spot after he gunned down a bunch of Saviors. Guy is an epic bullshitter to get people to back down.

I really love Negan, he is probably the only person in the WD universe I'd be sad over if/when he dies.

Like you say though, the whisperers haven't got a lot going for them, over than numbers. Wonder how Kirkman hypes up the Whisperer War.

Messi

Sometimes you can get to much of a book. It happened to me with Harley when they were double shipping and sometimes triple shipping it with annuals and her other series. It wears you out and eventually I stopped buying them. I love harley and if they can burn someone like me out then they have problems.

TheFlow

Banned
Part of the issue is that some people don't trust the guys in charge of DC and it's only been a month.
lol damn. Well those people gotta chill some. DC will be fine.

Edit: the people worried the most about the bimonthly shipping are the same people who were dissing rebirth day one

Sometimes you can get to much of a book. It happened to me with Harley when they were double shipping and sometimes triple shipping it with annuals and her other series. It wears you out and eventually I stopped buying them. I love harley and if they can burn someone like me out then they have problems.

Same thing happened to me with ASM's Brand New Day era, and like you with Harley, I have a lot of love for Spidey. And there have been lots of times when I've pulled multiple books starring plain ol' Peter-Man, back when he actually had a few books all to himself. But the approach in BND with all the rotating teams trying to tell one story was a failure for me.

PsychBat!

Banned
C3serAy.png

Lashley

Why is everyone hating on Aquaman? It was alright.

One problem though -

Manta earlier states he'll kill Mera to bring pain to Arthur, yet in this issue
he agrees that if he kills Arthur he'll have nothing, he can't bring pain to him etc....But he could kill Mera? That would hurt Arthur more than anything else.

Sandfox

Edit: the people worried the most about the bimonthly shipping are the same people who were dissing rebirth day one
They will eventually if those guys do what they're supposed to. You're telling people to get over something they've been holding onto for years because of a single month of books.
Same thing happened to me with ASM's Brand New Day era, and like you with Harley, I have a lot of love for Spidey. And there have been lots of times when I've pulled multiple books starring plain ol' Peter-Man, back when he actually had a few books all to himself. But the approach in BND with all the rotating teams trying to tell one story was a failure for me.

The only reason I could read ASM like that back then was because I was new, skipping issues, and didn't read any other books. I wouldn't be able to stand that with the way I read books now.

Messi

I have been excited for rebirth from the start. It doesn't make my concerns any less valid.

Lashley

Weird how since Rebirth I've been more excited for DC books than Marvel and also read their books first

Well it isn't weird, but y'know

TheFlow

Banned
I have been excited for rebirth from the start. It doesn't make my concerns any less valid.
You have been excited for rebirth. The first week of rebirth you said you are dropping all it. Or are you ultimate universe messi lol. Think that was same week you said it was all trash Ayye

Edit: sandfox you are right. A lot of people are overcoming there distaste with DC after new 52. 1 month isn't going to change minds but it is a step in the right direction

wtf is this nonsense

I'M fucking worried about the precipitous drop in quality among fill in artists and i've probably literally NEVER dissed rebirth i LOVE rebirth

correlate you're talking points buddy before george saunders writes a new yorker article...

ABOUT YOU

Messi

You have been excited for rebirth. The first week of rebirth you said you are dropping all it. Or are you ultimate universe messi lol. Think that was same week you said it was all trash Ayye

Did I actually drop any of it? I didn't.

I more meant I was excited about the prospect of it from announcement to release. I still am but I don't think it is sustainable. Much like I have problems with Marvel and their pricing vs quality.

Your first mistake was taking anything said in this thread seriously. I don't even like Valiant!

Damn, DC gave the full Sandman treatment to Absolute Preacher. Faux leather cover, gold embossing, etc. I didn't even enjoy the first couple of trades much and I want to buy this.

TheFlow

Banned
wtf is this nonsense

I'M fucking worried about the precipitous drop in quality among fill in artists and i've probably literally NEVER dissed rebirth i LOVE rebirth

correlate you're talking points buddy before george saunders writes a new yorker article...

ABOUT YOU
But isn't Aquaman the only fill in artist outside of GL rebirth? Everything else was already planned to have rotating artist

Ross61

Only about 15 titles are being shipped twice montly out of the whole line. From it, I can see Batman/Detective, Action Comics/Superman, Green Arrow, Nightwing, Suicide Squad, Wonder Woman, The Flash, Harley Quinn staying. DC has already said that their going to check and adjust as necessary.

Also, I personally couldn't care less about a fill-in if it actually has art that I like.

Messi

You buy everything though XD

At relaunches I do, I try everything. By the end of DC's last run I was pulling 6-10 books max. Same with Marvel I started buying everything from ANAD and ive dropped a fair number. I like giving everything a chance from the big two.

Switch is a fun book. Plenty of action and snappy dialogue in each issue.

Sejic is pretty good, I agree. Death Vigil was exactly like that.

But isn't Aquaman the only fill in artist outside of GL rebirth? Everything else was already planned to have rotating artist

Green Lanterns

ALSO, the plan on their "bigger" books is sensible. They've clearly got Batman set up okay, and Wonder Woman is basically telling two stories side by side with different artists, but the "smaller" books aren't given that luxury, they're more thrown together.

And skimming a solicit three months ago is different than picking up from a cliffhanger with a completely fucking different artist in your face so don't come with that already planned shit. If it's a shitty plan I don't care when the fuck they came up with it

Lashley

Superman #2 was amazing.

Legit making me fall in love with Superman, a character I've never liked much (Besides All-Star Superman).

Just amazing.

TheFlow

Banned
Green Lanterns

ALSO, the plan on their "bigger" books is sensible. They've clearly got Batman set up okay, and Wonder Woman is basically telling two stories side by side with different artists, but the "smaller" books aren't given that luxury, they're more thrown together.

And skimming a solicit three months ago is different than picking up from a cliffhanger with a completely fucking different artist in your face so don't come with that already planned shit. If it's a shitty plan I don't care when the fuck they came up with it
I didn't say the fill artist was planned. Some of the books already have planned rotating artist. Shit happens man.

JTripper

I really hope Batman doesn't suffer from too many filler issues by being bi-weekly. #2 felt very bare and quick. The worst part of it is that King's Batman/Bruce is written very oddly. That part about not trusting Alfred had me legit confused. There's still a lot of potential for this story but I hope it actually goes somewhere interesting.

Sandfox

I really hope Batman doesn't suffer from too many filler issues by being bi-weekly. #2 felt very bare and quick. The worst part of it is that King's Batman/Bruce is written very oddly. That part about not trusting Alfred had me legit confused. There's still a lot of potential for this story but I hope it actually goes somewhere interesting.

That CIA training.

TheFlow

Banned
I am excited for the cross over arc later this year

Messi

Only about 15 titles are being shipped twice montly out of the whole line. From it, I can see Batman/Detective, Action Comics/Superman, Green Arrow, Nightwing, Suicide Squad, Wonder Woman, The Flash, Harley Quinn staying. DC has already said that their going to check and adjust as necessary.

These are the double shipping series:

AQUAMAN
BATMAN
THE FLASH
GREEN ARROW
GREEN LANTERNS
SUPERMAN
WONDER WOMAN
ACTION COMICS
DETECTIVE COMICS
HAL JORDAN & THE GREEN LANTERN CORPS
JUSTICE LEAGUE
NIGHTWING
CYBORG
DEATHSTROKE
HARLEY QUINN
JUSTICE LEAGUE AMERICA
SUICIDE SQUAD

Its good that they are going to keep an eye on it.

Ross61

These are the double shipping series:

AQUAMAN
BATMAN
THE FLASH
GREEN ARROW
GREEN LANTERNS
SUPERMAN
WONDER WOMAN
ACTION COMICS
DETECTIVE COMICS
HAL JORDAN & THE GREEN LANTERN CORPS
JUSTICE LEAGUE
NIGHTWING
CYBORG
DEATHSTROKE
HARLEY QUINN
JUSTICE LEAGUE AMERICA
SUICIDE SQUAD

Its good that they are going to keep an eye on it.

I already knew all the bi-monthly titles. I was just making a prediction on what will stay a bi-monthly. Which is why I already counted out JLA, Deathstroke, Cyborg, and the GL Books.

Messi

Superman #2 was amazing.

Legit making me fall in love with Superman, a character I've never liked much (Besides All-Star Superman).

Just amazing.

Dat Tomasi and Gleason combo. I feel the exact same, I don't care for Superman including All Star but this book is goooood.

giphy.gif

TheFlow

Banned
I am too, even for the simple fact that it ties in with Nightwing and Detective which are pretty much the only other Bat-titles I plan to pull monthly, besides All-Star when that starts.
Ayye. Batman fighting giant monsters is going to be some fun stuff

I'm convinced that was a joke. Messing with the new kid.

Edit; and yeah, I gotta agree, Aquaman was never a really good looking book to me anyway? Haven't gotten to this issue yet, though, so maybe it really is that much of a step down.

Superman #2 was amazing.

Just amazing.

That's good to hear. Loved Tomasi/Gleason's work on B&R. Looking forward to the trades.

When is New Super-Man #1 coming out?

Zeroth

Question: Does the Avengers(any of the teams)have a "no kill" rule?

I remember back before Bendis(who really seems to love making Clint into "The Killer") and Disassembled they had a rule in their charter and whenever someone killed they pretty much held a trial.

Avengers don't kill, but are not inherently opposes to other super heroes killing. During the apokalypse twins crap, Grim Reaper assumed he would be fine since the Avengers wouldnt kill him due to their "Princess" principles, only to find out they sent heroes who do kill after him.

Top Bottom