• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| July 2016. Everyone Loves A Hero, Everyone Loves You

Kim & Kim #1 from Black Mask was kinda disappointing. The art was pretty inconsistent and the characters aren't really interesting yet.

Jade Street Protection Services #1 from last week was pretty good though, I was into that

Neoxon

Did they cancel Star-Lord? The most recent issue made it sound like they're ending the comic there & will just focus on the main Guardians book.

Neoxon

Also, did I miss something? The X-Men are still around, or did something happen to make Kitty think otherwise?

obvigrM.png

Sandfox

Did they cancel Star-Lord? The most recent issue made it sound like they're ending the comic there & will just focus on the main Guardians book.

The writer went DC exclusive and they'll probably give us a new Star-Lord book for Marvel Now.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
A merciful death
Also, did I miss something? The X-Men are still around, or did something happen to make Kitty think otherwise?

obvigrM.png

She's off-world and the X-Men hangout in Limbo now, so it's easy for her to be confused

shingi70

Banned
What happened to the X-men pre/post Schism. It seemed there was a ton of lead up but cretaivly Marvel dropped the ball on evolving the X-men from he protecting the society who hates. Alot of interesting ideas that only went half way there like giving Cyblcops alot of Talk but no real action.

Neoxon

A merciful death

She's off-world and the X-Men hangout in Limbo now, so it's easy for her to be confused
So that's where the confusion is coming from? Also, the cancellation of this comic may not bode well for similar-selling comics (like Sam Alexander's ongoing).

Is Legendary Star-Lord is still ongoing? (The one with the banana suit?)
It switched to just Star-Lord for ANAD Marvel, which is apparently ending after its 8th issue.

What happened to the X-men pre/post Schism. It seemed there was a ton of lead up but cretaivly Marvel dropped the ball on evolving the X-men from he protecting the society who hates. Alot of interesting ideas that only went half way there like giving Cyblcops alot of Talk but no real action.

Post Schism was cool

Post AvX? lol

Lashley

So that's where the confusion is coming from? Also, the cancellation of this comic may not bode well for similar-selling comics (like Sam Alexander's ongoing).
I'd imagine so, yeah.

Terrigen mists all over Earth, so they hide in Limbo. She might just assume they're dead.

Then again, Marvel editors don't do their jobs anymore.

Batman #2...hmmm. 'salrite.

I can see why some did not enjoy this and others did. The themes King is beginning to develop are interesting, the
notion of Batman as an exercise in futility, that Batman may not be the future the city needs if it is ever going to be "saved."
Good stuff. He has the relationships with the established characters all working great. The scenes with Bats and Alfred are really good, so is the stuff with Jim.

But. The Gothams are still not good characters. I'm not sure what it is going to take to bring me around on these two but I just...gah. I hate them. The individual pieces of the story are not very exciting. And I've never liked
Hugo Strange.
I'm less than thrilled he's apparently going to be a major player in this book.

So yeah. I get the love and I get the hate.

shingi70

Banned
Post Schism was cool

Post AvX? lol

AvX is what I'm thinking of. Everything leading up to it was golden, and I was imaging a landscape where we moved the real world anaolgy from the X-men from the Civil Rights movement to somewhat more modern context. Cyclops being this revolutionary taking mutants and running Gurellia Warfare on humanity seems super dope, but we never see him do any terrible out of necessity we only hear about. Pre AvX Cyclops seems to have more teeth than his post AvX incarnation.

Yeah, I'm not too surprised about that one. I passed on that one. Need impressions of Batman #2 and Future Quest #2.

Both are gud.

Batman #2...hmmm. 'salrite.

I can see why some did not enjoy this and others did. The themes King is beginning to develop are interesting, the
notion of Batman as an exercise in futility, that Batman may not be the future the city needs if it is ever going to be "saved."
Good stuff. He has the relationships with the established characters all working great. The scenes with Bats and Alfred are really good, so is the stuff with Jim.

But. The Gothams are still not good characters. I'm not sure what it is going to take to bring me around on these two but I just...gah. I hate them. The individual pieces of the story are not very exciting. And I've never liked
Hugo Strange.
I'm less than thrilled he's apparently going to be a major player in this book.

So yeah. I get the love and I get the hate.
I'll admit, so far I have 0 attachment to the Gothams as people, but then again... we know literally nothing about them. They're literally just plot points right now, and the implications and possibilities they present are interesting, at least to me; its looking like they're going to be an exploration of the limits of power, which sort of ties into the Batman point you made before. The sequence where
Gotham is deeply shocked by Batman's disappearing act, which Jim takes in stride,
is fantastic.

Hopefully, they do get developed as characters though.

Both are gud.

I think I can safely skip Batman. I'm not saying I didn't enjoy the last issue, but I have no great desire to keep up with two Batman books when Detective is the one I enjoy far more. Future Quest I'll probably grab, I was just waiting to make sure the second issue kept up the quality.

Looking forward to reading Flintstones, too. I'm really digging this change in tone of the Hanna-Barbera line.

Messi

obvigrM.png

A merciful death

We still don't know what fucked up thing Cyclops did and its entirely likely that Kitty thinks that the other X-Men are dead. I don't believe she has been back on earth in Guardians since ANAD started.

Just speculation though.

frye

AvX is what I'm thinking of. Everything leading up to it was golden, and I was imaging a landscape where we moved the real world anaolgy from the X-men from the Civil Rights movement to somewhat more modern context. Cyclops being this revolutionary taking mutants and running Gurellia Warfare on humanity seems super dope, but we never see him do any terrible out of necessity we only hear about. Pre AvX Cyclops seems to have more teeth than his post AvX incarnation.

The Extinction Team thing from post-Schism Gillen Uncanny was the last time Cyclops had a coherent set of motivations and goals outside of running around like a fucking dickhead for no reason

You tellin me there was a Bendis book where nothing fuckin happen

tim1138

obvigrM.png

This could be a reference to 80s X-Men when they went through the Siege Perilous, were thought to be dead, and Kitty ended up in the UK and was a founding member of Excalibur with Rachel, Kurt, Captain Britain, and Meggyn.

VanWinkle

I actually really didn't at all enjoy JL, which is disappointing since apparently the art is just going to get worse and the writing is going to stay mediocre :/

Dude what. S Daniels is a great artist. From the preview, Hitch's Rebirth episode looks good, too. I'll actually read it soon.

Sandfox

I want to see some new cosmic books from Marvel. The only good one right now IMO is Silver Surfer and that is obviously a different type of book.We'll see how Gamora goes.

Zeroth

Civil War 2: Kingpin kinda kills the whole Civil War crap.
If any of the heroes found out there's an Inhuman who's immune to the predictions, the whole debacle would be resolved, or at the very least, Tony would have a MUCH stronger hand against Captain Marvel's.

Lashley

Batman #2 - I hate Finch's art.

Also, "I don't even trust Alfred" ? What the fuck is this?

Nothing happened.

At least
Hugo Strange
is back.

I want to see some new cosmic books from Marvel. The only good one right now IMO is Silver Surfer and that is obviously a different type of book.We'll see how Gamora goes.

Not for lack of trying, they have quite a few cosmic books...problem is most of them aren't very good.

Such a shame the new team on Nova didn't keep up his development as a true cosmic character. Just dropped that shit with the new volume altogether it seems.

This could be a reference to 80s X-Men when they went through the Siege Perilous, were thought to be dead, and Kitty ended up in the UK and was a founding member of Excalibur with Rachel, Kurt, Captain Britain, and Meggyn.

I thought she was talking about the franchise circa 2016

Lashley

Yeah I agree. He was just talking shit, thought it was pretty clear actually.

I mean, the joke from Alfred made it a bit better, but it isn't really much of a joke?

Meh, I hope these biweekly books have better quality

Quality > Quantity, always.

Top Bottom