• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| July 2016. Everyone Loves A Hero, Everyone Loves You

Oof, Bounty. Not so good. Bland story. Zero interesting hooks. This artist is good but the art and writing just don't quite mesh...Wiebe can't really settle on a tone for the book and everything suffers as a result. It wants to be Rat Queens in Space but it's nowhere close to achieving that goal. Dropped.

I feel like it was super rushed. Like the whole thing needed another draft or two to work. Nothing about these characters or this world will draw you in. Too bad.

Messi

Oof, Bounty. Not so good. Bland story. Zero interesting hooks. This artist is good but the art and writing just don't quite mesh...Wiebe can't really settle on a tone for the book and everything suffers as a result. It wants to be Rat Queens in Space but it's nowhere close to achieving that goal. Dropped.

I feel like it was super rushed. Like the whole thing needed another draft or two to work. Nothing about these characters or this world will draw you in. Too bad.

He has been done with it for months.

I for one am shocked that he can't find the tone and doesn't mesh with the artist. How could we possibly have seen this coming???? Starting to believe Rat Queens was a fluke.

Messi

Did Aspen dig up an old drawing of Harley from Turner and decide to sell as a variant? Isn't that a dick move?

Holy crap it has been selling as a print and the copyright for 2003 is still on it loooool.

$_57.JPG

Bad form.

He has been done with it for months.

I for one am shocked that he can't find the tone and doesn't mesh with the artist. How could we possibly have seen this coming???? Starting to believe Rat Queens was a fluke.

He's been done with this for months?? Wow.

The lack of meaningful characterization is pretty inexcusable in that case.

squadr0n

Trying to decide what to add to my IST order. Getting the Deadly Class HC but im torn between the Time Runs Out HC or the Black Science HC. How long do we think it will be before they do a Hickman Avengers omnibus?

Any all digital readers here?

me. And I almost regret it everytime I see the discounts for physical direct subscriptions. But then I remember I have nowhere to stick longboxes and don't want comics with ads in them. Plus, Comixology's Guided View is great for reading comics on the phone.

Trying to decide what to add to my IST order. Getting the Deadly Class HC but im torn between the Time Runs Out HC or the Black Science HC. How long do we think it will be before they do a Hickman Avengers omnibus?

Go for Time Runs Out. Really fun arc. Black Science hardcover binding is poop.

Messi

Speaking of binding, did anyone buy the Deadly Class HC in store today? How is the binding. please say its good. The Easy of West binding is so fucking good btw.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
Do you ever regret going all digital?

Nope. Digital is.....

Cheaper
Books take up less space
Don't have to drive 45 minute to the nearest LCS or wait for mail orders
More portable cuz I take 600+ Image issues with me where ever I go
I don't have to worry about physical condition of my books

Do you ever regret going all digital?
Never.

1. My entire library is with me all the time.

2. Comics look so much better on a good tablet. The colors pop so much. When FCBD comes around and I have to deal with physical copies for a brief time before those show up digitally, it feels like a big downgrade and bums me out.

3. Being able to read in the dark is awesome. Makes bedtime reading so much more convenient when you don't have to think "I want to leave the light on to read, but don't want to turn it off when I'm falling asleep".

4. So much space freed up in my room. And thank god I got rid of all that clutter before my upcoming move. Nothing makes you hate physical comics more than moving.

5. I buy things once and that's it. No more buying issues of some things to stay current, trade-waiting other things, and re-buying collected editions of things I already have in singles. I just do 100% singles digitally.

6. Kinda the same as the last one, but no more worrying about what's available in what format. One thing is only trades, another is only small hardcovers, another is only in oversized hardcovers, but it's glued binding...it's an end to all of that bullshit.

7. No more dealing with things like printer errors or books with thin page that get wavy pages from air moisture.

8. Constant amazing sales. It's hard to keep up.

9. You can get a lot of new books as early as 3am Eastern on Wednesday.

10. Easy screenshotting for posts, avatars, wallpaper, etc.

TheFlow

Banned
Nope. Digital is.....

Cheaper
Books take up less space
I don't have to worry about taking care of my books
I actually started selling some of books already. Reading these thick omnibus make me realize how easy it would be to read it all on an iPad

TheFlow

Banned
You need to be a member it would seem.

Awesome. Glad they did this one right. Gives me hope for Low eventually.
Go to the Cbr forums under collected editions. Some guy posted a pic by pic of the binding and inside

Edit: on mobile so I can't really post like I want to

squadr0n

Go for Time Runs Out. Really fun arc. Black Science hardcover binding is poop.

Ok went with Time Runs out and the DCBS Variant Deadly Class. Will probably get Infinity and Black Science next time.

Go to the Cbr forums under collected editions. Some guy posted a pic by pic of the binding and inside

Edit: on mobile so I can't really post like I want to

http://community.comicbookresources.com/showthread.php?239-General-omnibus-amp-hardcover-discussion-vol-II/page579

Pretty much all digital now, apart from some books I like to buy as keepsakes. I have a few left that I want to buy like the Secret Six trades, the second Hawkeye OHC and the Gotham Central omnibus, but otherwise I'm mostly complete. I only have one bookshelf and it's full to bursting given that it houses my novels, non-fiction and RPG manuals as well. I generally want less stuff, not more. Probably shouldn't be buying figures either but one crisis at a time (I bought a Rock Candy Harley today, so we're at 0 days again).

Mostly read stuff on my second monitor these days. I have terrible trouble with my shoulder right now so lying in bed is far worse than sitting down. I actually use the grips on my Steam Controller to turn the pages since it's easier than using a mouse right now.

I had not read any comics for weeks before today because I was cheesed off with the hobby and life in general, but today I've read Justice League Rebirth, Doctor Who: Supremacy of the Cybermen and I'm starting to dig into the Star Trek Comics Humble Bundle. I got a huge kick out of the Best of the Borg collection having The Worst of Both Worlds which I read as a kid. Pretty sure that was one of the stories that kickstarted my thing for alternate timelines along with Days of Future Past and the episode of BTAS where Barbara gets hit with fear toxin and imagines a terrible future where she dies and Batman and Jim Gordon are at war with each other. I'm not sure I'll read all of it, the Gold Key stuff sounds awful, but a lot of the rest looks interesting. As a massive, massive fan of the Star Trek: New Frontier novels, more of Peter David writing Trek is always welcome.

LTTP
Captain America #1 & #2:
So Zemo is the one behind all the controversy, huh? lol

What transpired in the events after the first Civil War?
I know Cap gets assassinated and then Falcon and Bucky take up his cause. But when does Steve Rogers return from the grave?

TheFlow

Banned
Pretty much all digital now, apart from some books I like to buy as keepsakes. I have a few left that I want to buy like the Secret Six trades, the second Hawkeye OHC and the Gotham Central omnibus, but otherwise I'm mostly complete. I only have one bookshelf and it's full to bursting given that it houses my novels, non-fiction and RPG manuals as well. I generally want less stuff, not more. Probably shouldn't be buying figures either but one crisis at a time (I bought a Rock Candy Harley today, so we're at 0 days again).

Mostly read stuff on my second monitor these days. I have terrible trouble with my shoulder right now so lying in bed is far worse than sitting down. I actually use the grips on my Steam Controller to turn the pages since it's easier than using a mouse right now.

I had not read any comics for weeks before today because I was cheesed off with the hobby and life in general, but today I've read Justice League Rebirth, Doctor Who: Supremacy of the Cybermen and I'm starting to dig into the Star Trek Comics Humble Bundle. I got a huge kick out of the Best of the Borg collection having The Worst of Both Worlds which I read as a kid. Pretty sure that was one of the stories that kickstarted my thing for alternate timelines along with Days of Future Past and the episode of BTAS where Barbara gets hit with fear toxin and imagines a terrible future where she dies and Batman and Jim Gordon are at war with each other. I'm not sure I'll read all of it, the Gold Key stuff sounds awful, but a lot of the rest looks interesting. As a massive, massive fan of the Star Trek: New Frontier novels, more of Peter David writing Trek is always welcome.
I will keep you mind when I sell my Gotham and hawkeye

Nope. Digital is.....

Cheaper
Books take up less space
I don't have to worry about physical condition of my books

Cheaper? How? Besides the occasional Comixology sale on a series you are interested in, buying monthlies is the same price as physical? Or do I not know about something?

Cheaper? How? Besides the occasional Comixology sale on a series you are interested in, buying monthlies is the same price as physical? Or do I not know about something?
Nothing occasional about those sales. There are like six running at any given time. Every Monday is a Marvel sale, and that's never the only Marvel sale of the week. Image does so many sales on their current top books that I never buy them new anymore.

But even outside of sales, normal cover prices on Image, DC, and some other small publishers drop to $1.99 pretty fast.

Top Bottom