• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| July 2016. Everyone Loves A Hero, Everyone Loves You

My comic shop sells every floppy at a 20% discount, and trades at 15%. No membership or anything. So for me at least physical is actually the cheaper option.

I don't think there's an official reason, but unofficially, I think it's because of Marvel Unlimited.

Ah, that would make sense. Marvel sales on Comixology don't interest me in the slightest as I have access to it all with MU.

On the flip side, I've bought all of New 52 Flash and plan on doing the same with Batman.

Cheaper? How? Besides the occasional Comixology sale on a series you are interested in, buying monthlies is the same price as physical? Or do I not know about something?
It's cheaper for people that can wait a bit.

Most Indies/image drop to 1.99 after a month
DC drops price from cover price after 2 months
Also DC trades that are new show up less than cover price (Amazon discount percentages )

Marvel is the only one that's broken with digital prices until the sales show up.

Constant sales by the publishers.

Owzers

Hmmm what was the last issue of Johns' Darkseid War? Did he continue on with the book after it ended? Tempted by the justice league sale to get issue 41-47 but i still feel like i should wait to see if it gets a nice OHC of some kind.

Finishing up my DCBS order, does this sound at all interesting?

Frostbite #1 (of 6) (MR)
Long after Earth has entered its second ice age, humanity has learned to cope with the frozen elements. In this cold and bleak future, heat is power, and brutal gangs roam the icy wasteland looking for it. If that wasn't enough, a terrible disease nicknamed 'frostbite' is literally freezing people from the inside out. Once you catch it, the effect is instantaneous. There is no immunity, there is no cure. Until now. Doctor Henry Bonham and his daughter Victoria have found the key to ending frostbite. If they can get from Mexico City to a secret government outpost in Alcatraz, they could stabilize life across the globe. But to do that they'll need to stay alive. That's where Keaton comes in. She and her crew have faced worse journeys before, but never with the potential consequences this one poses if they fail. A new miniseries from acclaimed writer Joshua Williamson (The Flash: Rebirth; Nailbiter) and artist Jason Shawn Alexander (Empty Zone; BATMAN: ARKHAM CITY), FROSTBITE is a science-fiction action miniseries unlike any other.

On the flip side, I've bought all of New 52 Flash and plan on doing the same with Batman.

Batman sale was a few weeks ago.

I've been all digital for years now on everything. Comics, games, books, and TV/movies. I do have a physical copy of every book BKV has done, and frequently loan them out. Also, we have the entire Fables run because my wife loves it.

Comixology for DC and Image, MU for Marvel. Never lacking stuff to read.

I don't think there's an official reason, but unofficially, I think it's because of Marvel Unlimited.

I think you nailed it on the head. Marvel is transitioning its business from producing comics to becoming a content platform like Netflix. Marvel will be in the business of just selling MU subscriptions as print dies off.

Right now, most of Marvel's catalogue is white dudes in spandex. If they want to sell subs to everybody, they need to (outwardly) diversify their line. Then they can start microtargerting certains demos. Just as Netflix chooses it's original shows by data mining it's user base, Marvel will start doing the same for their books. In the near future, I bet Marvel will start announcing MU exclusive books. #MarvelBall

Hmmm what was the last issue of Johns' Darkseid War? Did he continue on with the book after it ended? Tempted by the justice league sale to get issue 41-47 but i still feel like i should wait to see if it gets a nice OHC of some kind.

#50 was the Darkseid War conclusion. There was also that Darkseid War Special one-shot between JL#48 and #49 that was part of the event, too.

SuperOrez

Kinda late to the party on Rebirth 1. I loved it though. I'd been collecting trades instead but now I'm going monthly. I think I'm gonna go all in with Batman but is there a title that will fillow up on the Dc rebirth stuff? I assume Juatice league but now I'm curious about flash.

My pull last so far:
Batman
Detective Comics
Justice League
Trinity

I just signed up for MU too. I don't know what to pick anymore.

Boogiepop

Damn, DC gave the full Sandman treatment to Absolute Preacher. Faux leather cover, gold embossing, etc. I didn't even enjoy the first couple of trades much and I want to buy this.

Dang it. Guess I'm out on this one. I realize this is a weird and personal issue, but that's why I don't want to go for the Absolutes when I finally get around to Sandman, because of the faux leather. (Been a vegetarian for a long time, and that sort of stuff just doesn't gel with me. Not saying it's a moral issue or anything, but I've just got an aversion to the whole feel/texture thing there at this point. Kind of like how I don't want my veggie burgers and crap to try to emulate the taste of real meat).

So yeah, a weird personal problem that I don't expect anyone else to share, but this is super disappointing for me. And aren't the trades hitting messy out of print territory? Is there any hope of grabbing the series in another format right now/any time soon, or am I out of luck?

Also, is it just Sandman and Preacher that have this, or do I need to worry about any of the other Absolutes?

And aren't the trades hitting messy out of print territory? Is there any hope of grabbing the series in another format right now/any time soon, or am I out of luck?

Are you talking about the Preacher trades? Fuck no. They started printing those hardcore once the AMC series got close. My local bookstore has plenty of them.

Boogiepop

Are you talking about the Preacher trades? Fuck no. They started printing those hardcore once the AMC series got close. My local bookstore has plenty of them.
Ah, cool. Looks like I got thrown off because there's a different number of newer and old trades, so I was probably thrown off by IST having a volume 9 but like no 7 or 8, which are pricey on Amazon. But it's just a matter of the new trades packing things into a smaller number.

Thanks for the info, though. FAR less disappointed in this info now.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
Cheaper? How? Besides the occasional Comixology sale on a series you are interested in, buying monthlies is the same price as physical? Or do I not know about something?

In the last year I've built my current 1200 book collection on the backs of those occasional 99 cent sales. It would take like a decade of weekly discounts to match what I've saved on those sales at the rate I buy new books (I didn't do the math on that but it seems right LOL).

Not to mention I've read like 150 Marvel titles in the last two months for the price of like 4 of their books.

Humble Bundle offers great savings fairly regularly too.

Ah, cool. Looks like I got thrown off because there's a different number of newer and old trades, so I was probably thrown off by IST having a volume 9 but like no 7 or 8, which are pricey on Amazon. But it's just a matter of the new trades packing things into a smaller number.

Thanks for the info, though. FAR less disappointed in this info now.

Yeah, the ones you want list on IST as Preacher Book XX TP, as those are the paperback versions of what were the deluxe hardcovers. Same print cycle the Y: The Last Man books went through.

TheFlow

Banned
Dang it. Guess I'm out on this one. I realize this is a weird and personal issue, but that's why I don't want to go for the Absolutes when I finally get around to Sandman, because of the faux leather. (Been a vegetarian for a long time, and that sort of stuff just doesn't gel with me. Not saying it's a moral issue or anything, but I've just got an aversion to the whole feel/texture thing there at this point. Kind of like how I don't want my veggie burgers and crap to try to emulate the taste of real meat).

So yeah, a weird personal problem that I don't expect anyone else to share, but this is super disappointing for me. And aren't the trades hitting messy out of print territory? Is there any hope of grabbing the series in another format right now/any time soon, or am I out of luck?

Also, is it just Sandman and Preacher that have this, or do I need to worry about any of the other Absolutes?
If you have all the trades you can actually have the books professionally bound with a nice cover. If interested I will give you some pics and ect

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
If you have all the trades you can actually have the books professionally bound with a nice cover. If interested I will give you some pics and ect

People are always posting pics of their custom binds on the 11 O'Clock Comics Facebook page. They look pretty sweet.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Still waiting for Amazon to sync all my bought trades with my Comixology Account. Similar how they sync all my bough music or how they will do with movies soon.

Boogiepop

I actually never thought of that. Like I'd heard of people getting their floppies bound together, but I never thought of that with trades. I'm assuming it can be done quite well, then?

TheFlow

Banned
People are always posting pics of their custom binds on the 11 O'Clock Comics Facebook page. They look pretty sweet.

this guy knows^^

I actually never thought of that. Like I'd heard of people getting their floppies bound together, but I never thought of that with trades. I'm assuming it can be done quite well, then?
oops sorry! I meant to say single issue. sorry. forgive me on that part. not sure if it is possible for tpb.

mreddie

Iron Man:
tumblr_nlmy1jBE1p1u8if20o1_500.gif

Captain America Sam Wilson:
giphy.gif

Kingpin:
giphy.gif

Batman:

giphy.gif

GAMEPROFF

Banned
I will never merge my Amazon and Comixology accounts until I have to.

Yeah, I guess it depends how and where you buy your books. I spend like 300€ every month on comicbooks on Amazon and when they are going to so ComicRIP kind of thing, it would be really amazing. Would maybe rob me of the possibility to use the american Comixology store and there is a possibility that it doesnt synch to the Marvel Account, but my collections would be insane.

Still prefer digital single issues over digital trades. Digital trades are shit to use

CazTGG

Cross-posting this from the ANAD Marvel thread:
Moon Knight #4: This is an issue that's going to be remembered more for its ending twist
i.e. OMG it's Moon Knight, who's the real Specto-you know it's going to turn out to be an illusion created by Seth to stop Marc from foiling his plans, right?'
than it is for anything substantial that happens, mostly because it rushes through everything with little regard for the characters it involves. Thus far, Lemire's run of Moon Knight favors iconography of the character rather than characterization of Marc and his supporting cast. The people here have the names of people from Doug Moench's original run, but they lack the personality that they had as well as any of the chemistry they once shared. There's a moment where Marc and Marlene reminisce about their love for one another (well, her love for Grant, one of Marc's many identities) since they were romantically involved at one point, but it's a hollow reminder of a romance that the character has moved past/that the reader could see in the original run rather than see it done poorly here. Even Spector himself is not one to have their personality so easily pinned down beyond "he doubts himself sometimes", which doesn't make for the most compelling drama when said self-doubt is repeated more than it is explored in every issue with a slight variation to the dialogue. Maybe it's just me, but i'm not feeling this run of Moon Knight. I'll give the final of the five a shot but if it doesn't improve, i'm dropping it. The artwork is amazing but i'm simply not enjoying the story they're attached to.

That being said, this issue is did give us the glorious image of Khonshu sitting on a toilet:
CmvGt8jWIAE8cC4.jpg

squadr0n

Anyone here have their books custom bound? Did you use Houchen Bindery?

Thinking about having my Wolverine & the X-men run bound if its pretty easy to do. From what I understand it would have to be done in 2 volumes since theres like 50 issues.

Totally didnt notice people were already discussing it a few posts up. Is it worth having it done and if so where do you use if not Houchen?

Sandfox

The ending of Captain America: Sam Wilson #11 surprised me, especially since
I was just looking up what USAgent was up to on monday and seeing people askingthe same when USAvengers was announced.
This arc is going to be interesting.

Dusknoir

First time posting in this thread been lurking here since the start or Rebirth, been a blast. Only exposure to comics has been here and listening to podcasts about them. I have only brought them time to time in comixology based on some sales. I own new 52 Aquaman up to third arc and all of Injustice Year One.

Rebirth and the talks here has got to start buying physical versions of the books to keep them for forever. For that I thank you guys for, Rebirth has been blast for me. I think I got almost all books related to Rebirth (just not Aquaman, felt like I'm reading a story from new 52 Aquaman) and enjoyed them all.

Reading Superman makes me question, why the hell did they get rid of this family in the New 52. Holy shit I can't wait for Super Sons. I never read Tom King before but I been hearing a lot of good stuff from him. Been loving his version of Batman for I feel like at the end of his run his going to make Batman say "I'M THE GODDAMN BATMAN!! LOOK AT MY BALLS!!"

The Green Arrow and Wonder Woman Rebirth specials are the first ever books I read of these characters and from what I feel were the best of the relaunch. It's great to Oliver with Black Canary and Wonder Woman go find out who she is. That Cliff-hanger at the end of WW#1 got me so excited for #3.

I'm writing this really late so I'll just end this post.
I wish to get into Marvel with the Divided relaunch but I'm only interested in Champions...
Also why is the new Iron Man age 15.

Superman was my favorite DC title this week. Really like how it's playing out so far.

Aquaman is decent. Green Arrow is kinda boring. Not a fan of the writing either. Kinda stands out as not being very good.

Also, I wish DC would do thr recaps before each issue like Marvel does. I like those a lot.

Dalek

I just finished reading the 52 miniseries and I see Countdown to Final Crisis is next up. I also read that it sucks. Should I read it or just go straight to Final Crisis?

BrightLightLava

Unconfirmed Member
First time posting in this thread been lurking here since the start or Rebirth, been a blast. Only exposure to comics has been here and listening to podcasts about them. I have only brought them time to time in comixology based on some sales. I own new 52 Aquaman up to third arc and all of Injustice Year One.

Rebirth and the talks here has got to start buying physical versions of the books to keep them for forever. For that I thank you guys for, Rebirth has been blast for me. I think I got almost all books related to Rebirth (just not Aquaman, felt like I'm reading a story from new 52 Aquaman) and enjoyed them all.

Reading Superman makes me question, why the hell did they get rid of this family in the New 52. Holy shit I can't wait for Super Sons. I never read Tom King before but I been hearing a lot of good stuff from him. Been loving his version of Batman for I feel like at the end of his run his going to make Batman say "I'M THE GODDAMN BATMAN!! LOOK AT MY BALLS!!"

The Green Arrow and Wonder Woman Rebirth specials are the first ever books I read of these characters and from what I feel were the best of the relaunch. It's great to Oliver with Black Canary and Wonder Woman go find out who she is. That Cliff-hanger at the end of WW#1 got me so excited for #3.

I'm writing this really late so I'll just end this post.
I wish to get into Marvel with the Divided relaunch but I'm only interested in Champions...
Also why is the new Iron Man age 15.

Hey! Welcome. Glad you've been liking stuff. Marvel will continue to announce things until they've more or less given away all of Civil War II, so keep an eye out for anything else you might find interesting and keep letting us know what you like so we can keep throwing recommendations your way.

Top Bottom