• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| July 2016. Everyone Loves A Hero, Everyone Loves You

TheFlow

Banned
Thor God of Thunder
Daredevil by Waid

already reading Thor, will read DD by waid after Miller.

I actually just started Avengers Vs x-men because I hate myself

You read Superior Foes of Spider-Man yet? It's a fun 15 issues and it's really funny.
actually I haven't. forgot it was on MU. wil check it out

Complicated how? Lots of crossovers and renumbering? Or just a good solid read?

For the latter, Young Avengers by Gillen and McKelvie.
young avengers. ahhh. I will check this out too

what's a great completed marvel run to read. that is kinda within this decade

Hickman Fantastic Four
Remender Uncanny X-Force
Gillen Journey Into Mystery/Gillen & McKelvie Young Avengers/Ewing & Garbett Agent of Asgard

Not really this decade (Marvel.com says 2001-2008), but Exiles for sure, though it does drag near the end:
exiles__days_of_then_and_now_by_francis001.jpg

TheFlow

Banned
Thanks guys I made a list of all the recommendations. Now that I am digital only I don't mind jumping right into stuff.

this Avengers vs X-men is pretty good. I guess it becomes dumb by the end

This looks so cool that I'm pushing the impending feeling of disappointment it will bring as far back in my mind as possible. Looking forward to this hopefully not being terrible.

How are the current X books anyway? any of them worth picking up now? the only mutant related book I've kept up with is Wolverine.
Old Man Logan is dope
X-Men '92 is fun
All-New X-Men is decent
Uncanny X-Men is a poor man's Remender's Uncanny X-Force
Extraordinary X-Men is awesome. Fuck the haters (Rhaknar back me up)
Got a beautiful little stack of New 52 books.

R2xiKWB.jpg
EARTH 2 EARTH 2 EARTH 2
what's a great completed marvel run to read. that is kinda within this decade
Kot's Secret Avengers
Spurrier's X-Force

Extraordinary X-Men is awesome. Fuck the haters (Rhaknar back me up)

How much better did it get? I got #1 but wasn't keen on it. I could be swayed into getting the rest.

Yes! Still a couple of volumes to get, I think. And then Earth 2 Society stuff.

There's Earth-2: World's End (mildly confusingly published the same time as Future's End) in between those.

All caught up on JaneThor now BTW. Book is still badass. If we're getting two Aaron Thor books, I'll be picking both up.

TheFlow

Banned
What difference does it make if it's the same writer?

They've relaunched Thor multiple times since Aaron took over, and it's all one big run. I've never looked at it as getting cancelled and replaced.
Different agendas. Like I said I will wait to see how they execute it.

Busaiku

Is there a preview somewhere?
Cause based on the cover, it looks nothing like Mr. Dodson's stuff. Really don't like it at all.

TheFlow

Banned
Avengers vs X-men #1-6

Damn good concept with some cool fights. Scott and Logan both got great points but I am on team Scott. There are about 200 mutants in the world and they are just about in hiding. It is time to revive the mutant gene.

one thing I don't like is how Scott wants hope to have the force but as soon as he gets it goes full on Anakin skywalker and want it all for himself. Guess that is signs of the dark Phoenix.

So far 4/5

Not much better through 5 issues. But I cringe every time Jean or OML open their mouths. Dialogue is painfully bad at times.

I see.

Oh really? Is it good? And necessary to bridge the gap?

It's good, it got lost in the shuffle because it was a weekly and DC was publishing three of them at the time. It's a entertaining superhero comic that was going up against a Batman weekly and the car crash, dumpster fire, "I fear to watch yet I cannot turn away" Future's End. It's pretty crucial to the overall story. To tell you why would spoil EVERYTHING so I'm not going to.

kmfdmpig

Had time to read a couple of comics before going to work:

Flintstones was waayyyy better than I expected. Never read Prez, but Russell did an amazing job of capturing all of the character's voices, it was just like watching the cartoon as a kid. Pugh's art was also much improved from his work on Animal Man. Larger, more detailed characters and the colors really popped.

Bounty was pretty much the opposite of the Flintstones. I'm more forgiving of comics than most people here but this was just weak. Bland story and characters, decent but not inspired art. Probably won't stick around for issue #2.

I would have never imagined liking a Flintstones comic, but based on the impressions here I gave it a shot and quite liked it.

I've always thought social commentary works better when it's divorced from our day to day reality, which is what worked so well in Star Trek. Flintstones nails that with some good moments and social critiques. The art is unique, but well done. I like the fact that everyone is incredibly strong, which given their work and way of life would make sense.

Yes! Still a couple of volumes to get, I think. And then Earth 2 Society stuff.
Should be six volumes of Earth 2, then two volumes of Earth 2: World's End. The sixth volume of Earth 2 acts as a companion piece to World's End. The main plot is in World's End, but volume six of Earth 2 details a lot of background on certain events and characters.

Convergence is the next step in the plot, and THEN Earth 2: Society.
How much better did it get? I got #1 but wasn't keen on it. I could be swayed into getting the rest.
I've really been enjoying it. It's just the X-Men being superheroes. Dimension- and timeline-hopping. Currently they are in a new Age of Apocalypse timeline and this arc has been pretty great. Some of the dialogue is a bit clunky, though. As is the way of Lemire.

Convergence is the next step in the plot, and THEN Earth 2: Society.

I've really been enjoying it. It's just the X-Men being superheroes. Dimension- and timeline-hopping. Currently they are in a new Age of Apocalypse timeline and this arc has been pretty great. Some of the dialogue is a bit clunky, though. As is the way of Lemire.

I completely forgot about Convergence (so did everyone else lolololololol). Yeah, you need that too.

New Age of Apocalypse, you say? That sounds interesting.

Is there a preview somewhere?
Cause based on the cover, it looks nothing like Mr. Dodson's stuff. Really don't like it at all.

There was definitely a preview I saw somewhere, but my Google-fu is failing me at the moment. I think it was CBR but I could be wrong.

I completely forgot about Convergence (so did everyone else lolololololol). Yeah, you need that too.

New Age of Apocalypse, you say? That sounds interesting.

They also go to Weirdworld, and Mr. Sinister is the main villain for the first arc. Granted, at first the book gets a bit bogged down with a wee bit of the "Oh Jean we need you!" and "Scott! How could you do these things that you did!?" But they've forgone that now.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Stay safe Dallas Gaf :(

Edit: mah boy BK repping Extraordinary, the most x-men ass x-men book in years. Good man.

So I'm about to finish reading New 52 Justice League.

Now before I read DC Universe Rebirth, it recommends to read Superman #52, which I noticed is part of an 8-part series.

How necessary is it to read the full 8 comics? I know it's that many comics, but I can't wait to dig into Rebirth. :)

Now before I read DC Universe Rebirth, it recommends to read Superman #52, which I noticed is part of an 8-part series.

How necessary is it to read the full 8 comics? I know it's that many comics, but I can't wait to dig into Rebirth. :)

You should read all of The Final Days of Superman, because it was brilliant, and just Superman #52 on its' own wouldn't really be satisfying.

mreddie

Why do I care so much about comics? Why do I care about Overwatch?
Why?

Because the real world these days...it's scary.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
I hate when people sell shit through Amazon and don't send you a tracking number. That should be illegal, it's goddamn torture.

arkon

I read Justice League and that was it. I made it through the DC Rebirth special just fine.

So was Bobby Drake ever a team leader or anything like that? Because I swear to god, I cannot think of anything they've done with that character that is even remotely notable. All of the other O5 members have gone on to have some complex and interesting arcs and developments, and Bobby's done...what? Find out he's an omega mutant and come to terms with being gay? Which sounds like it should be a lot, but for the life of me I wouldn't be able to tell based on the stories I've read with him in it recently. I keep forgetting and then remembering and then re-forgetting and then re-remembering that he's on Storm's current team.

SOMEONE DO SOMETHING!

Does anyone remember if Morrison's Multiversity Too graphic novels and his Batman: Black and White books were supposed to start coming out this year?

TheFlow

Banned
does wolverine and the x-men still continues after Avs.X? nvm it does

so looks like I am about to start reading:

Wolverine and the X-men
Uncanny X-force
and then finish up with the second half of AvsX.

WOOH. I am falling in love with the x books all over again

Top Bottom