• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| July 2016. Everyone Loves A Hero, Everyone Loves You

Messi

SILLYMONKEY IT'S WHAT WE HAVE BEEN WAITING FOR

ENB10093.jpg

In other James Harden news.

TheFlow

Banned
So was Bobby Drake ever a team leader or anything like that? Because I swear to god, I cannot think of anything they've done with that character that is even remotely notable. All of the other O5 members have gone on to have some complex and interesting arcs and developments, and Bobby's done...what? Find out he's an omega mutant and come to terms with being gay? Which sounds like it should be a lot, but for the life of me I wouldn't be able to tell based on the stories I've read with him in it recently. I keep forgetting and then remembering and then re-forgetting and then re-remembering that he's on Storm's current team.

SOMEONE DO SOMETHING!

Yea Bobby's most known problem is dealing with going Permanent ice man and being over powered.

I agree, The OG 5 and then the second group (Colossus, Storm, Wolverine, Banshee, Thunderbird, maybe sunfire, and nigthcrawler) all went through some crazier shit. Like even sunfire went from a hotshot og to a bum.

Tizoc

Batman #2
Hmmm OK so far.

Superman #2
Why does
Eradicator always have to be wearing Yellow glasses for? Just make his eyes glow yellow or some such @_@

B. Panther #3
OK seems the plot is progressing but I don't like
all these Ls that T'challa is getting.

Flintstones #1
Pass. Let me know when the art is more cartoony looking :/

Transformers: Sins of the Wreckers #5
Wow that was a lot in just a single issue hah. The overall story is character focused so if you like those kind of stories you may enjoy this. However this is best read after Last Stand of the Wreckers at least.

Transformers: Til all are one #2
Slow progress, but progress.
Ironhide decides to take mattersinto his own hand and look into resolving the violence that's spreading, while Onslaught has a mole on Ironhide's team.

Kaijumax #3
Good issue and awesome shout out
to Gamera

Sonic Mega Drive #1
I'm sorry Kaijumax #3 but this is the book of the week. Great humor and great art, all around fun book.
Spoilery image

TheFlow

Banned
I love how the first issue of Ucanny X-force by Remender gives us a full detailed backstory of what happened with the x force team and the mutants in general starting at M-day and going up to the present run. Love it! This is what comics need more of in the first issue

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
I love how the first issue of Ucanny X-force by Remender gives us a full detailed backstory of what happened with the x force team and the mutants in general starting at M-day and going up to the present run. Love it! This is what comics need more of in the first issue

oh man, you're in for such a treat. i loved that run.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?

I'm still yet to read it, have it sitting here though. Heard its amazing.

Started on some Last Days issues for my Secret Wars run.

Last Days of Ms. Marvel - Finally catching up with this. I love Kamala's parents. The timing of the "qayamat ka din to nahiin" (this isn't the end of days) line from her father was bloody hilarious.

Last Days of Magento - 4 issues... That's a whole lot of pages not saying very much. Oscillated between boring and bad.

Last Days of Ant-Man - Last couple of pages were funny but otherwise felt like more filler.

Last days of Loki - Skipped for now because I want to read the whole run later.

Last Days of Punisher - WTF?

My rankings for this weeks Rebirth titles:

Green Arrow>Superman>Batman>Green Lanterns>Justice League>Aquaman

Green Arrow continues to be great, I'm really liking the focus on Superman as a dad, and I came around on Batman.

I liked the banter and character stuff with Baz and Jessica more this issue than the last two, but I still just don't really care to see more of the Red Lanterns.

Justice League just seemed like a weird thing to do for a Rebirth issue. I feel like it should have just been the heroes perspective on what happened in the last issue of Superman with Batman and WW going to see him. Maybe something with the League getting the GL's acquainted with what they're doing with them supposedly training them. I feel like it should have just been more of a set up for the team with the new additions and instead it was a huge threat with some of the team talk on the side. Wasn't feeling it.

Aquaman just seemed blah. Don't really know what to say, a whole issue fight that was anti-climactic and mostly dumb.

Aside from that only read Bloodlines so far. More people should give Bloodlines a try. It's just a good fun title. It feels so much like a 90's teen horror movie and it's just been awesome.

Mafro

One of my favourite comic runs ever, it basically got me back into comics after years of falling out of love with them. Reminder writes the best version of Deadpool too.

TheFlow

Banned
Uncanny X force Remender #1-4

It didn't capture like I thought it would but a cool first arc. That ending though
headshot

LosDaddie

Banned
It's been a while since I read it but Time Runs Out is only a small part of a pretty long run from Hickman. I'm not sure you'd get the most out of it you don't read Avengers and New Avengers from the start. Plus it's a genuinely great story as well.

It's a great part of a super long run from Hickman that will make absolutely no sense if you haven't read everything from his Avengers and New Avengers up to it, along with Infinity. But yes it leads directly into Secret Wars.

Thanks for the replies!

I've decided to buy the hardcover. I have both the infinity and the infinity companion hardcovers. So hopefully I won't be too lost reading this book. I do like how this book leads right into Secret Wars.

Man, Blackest Night is great. Loving the Green Lantern issues that are interweaved as well (the event and the GL issues are in proper reading order in the Johns omnibus which adds some context and story over the event proper). Having a blast reading it.

I am looking forward to reading the event myself. I bought the GL omnibus because it included the event and all the GL tie-ins. I also have most of the other tie-ins.

Messi

Just did an IST order!

BATMAN AND ROBIN ETERNAL TP VOL 02
BATMAN HC VOL 07 ENDGAME
BATMAN HC VOL 08 SUPERHEAVY
BIRDS OF PREY TP VOL 02
CATWOMAN TP VOL 03 UNDER PRESSURE
CATWOMAN TP VOL 04 THE ONE YOU LOVE
DARK NIGHT A TRUE BATMAN STORY HC
DEADLY CLASS DLX HC DCBS EXC VAR
FAITH TP VOL 01 HOLLYWOOD & VINE
HARLEY QUINN HC VOL 04 A CALL TO ARMS
IMMORTAL IRON FIST COMPLETE COLLECTION TP VOL 01
MANIFEST DESTINY TP VOL 02
MANIFEST DESTINY TP VOL 03
RACHEL RISING TP VOL 07 DUST TO DUST
SENSATION COMICS FEATURING WONDER WOMAN TP VOL 02
SENSATION COMICS FEATURING WONDER WOMAN TP VOL 03
STAR WARS DARTH VADER HC VOL 01
STARFIRE TP VOL 01 WELCOME HOME
SUPERIOR FOES SPIDER-MAN OMNIBUS HC
THEYRE NOT LIKE US TP VOL 02
WONDER WOMAN EARTH ONE HC VOL 01
YOUNG AVENGERS BY GILLEN AND MCKELVIE OMNIBUS HC

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

TheFlow

Banned
damn son you buying a shit ton, and I am selling a shit ton.

To anybody who is part of the Omnibus group page, my books go on sale at 10 am eastern. below IST prices on everything

Ok, I am an old timer comic reader that is back at reading thanks to comixology. I need some recomendations on newer stuff, I like good written stories, sci-fi (not Star Wars), some fantasy, dark fairy tales, horror and psycological stories. Some well wriiten superhero stuff too. I am good with Marvel with Unlimited at moment, want to check recent Vertigo and Indie stuff.

I will add then to my whishlist and buying some each month, looking for sales.

For reference in the past I enjoyed Vertigo (Sandman, The Dreaming, Fables, Shade the Changing Man among others), urban stuff since Greel's Sable, Grim Jack, etc.

My last month's reading included:
- Faster than Light. Another take on early Star Trek like encounters, I have seen better, but I like those type of stories. Art is ok, but hard to follow the characters when half of them looks the same.6/10
- Jupiter's Legacy. Millar likes to my new takes on old archetipals, and this story reads to much like Kingdom Comes, but I liked it. 7/10
- MPH. Again, Millar is making his take on Flash, specially Wally just after Crisis. 6/10
- Chnonauts. Millar on Back to tbe Future but with no consequences at all and weird logic. Would not read d it was not on sale. 5/10.
- Sable Freelance Bloodtrail. Most fir the nostalgia, but I like it. 7/10.

Have Sheriff of Babylon trade in pre-order. Love King's stuff.

TheFlow

Banned
Ok, I am an old timer comic reader that is back at reading thanks to comixology. I need some recomendations on newer stuff, I like good written stories, sci-fi (not Star Wars), some fantasy, dark fairy tales, horror and psycological stories. Some well wriiten superhero stuff too. I am good with Marvel with Unlimited at moment, want to check recent Vertigo and Indie stuff.

For reference in the past I enjoyed Vertigo (Sandman, The Dreaming, Fables, Shade the Changing Man among others), urban stuff since Greel's Sable, Grim Jack, etc.

- Faster than Light. Another take on early Star Trek like encounters, I have seen better, but I like those type of stories. Art is ok, but hard to follow the characters when half of them looks the same.6/10
- Jupiter's Legacy. Millar likes to my new takes on old archetipals, and this story reads to much like Kingdom Comes, but I liked it. 7/10
- MPH. Again, Millar is making his take on Flash, specially Wally just after Crisis. 6/10
- Chnonauts. Millar on Back to tbe Future but with no consequences at all and weird logic. Would not read d it was not on sale. 5/10.

Saga
Low
East by West
Black Science
Monstress-only fantasy title I will list atm.
Stray bullets- best image comic

There are tons of great ones, but it is best If I get the majority picks out the way first.

Tizoc

James roberts' transformers run:
Start woth last stand of the wrekcers then tf: chaos theory then more than meets the eye vol 1

Saga
Low
East by West
Black Science
Monstress-only fantasy title I will list atm.
Stray bullets- best image comic

There are tons of great ones, but it is best If I get the majority picks out the way first.

Thanks! I will check then. I read 2 or 3 issues of Saga when it came out, it did nit catch me at the time, but I eill guve it another shoot after all the praise.

Future Quest is aces, so glad all.these werid HB turned out good.

Are those kind of books usually collected in trades too? The new Flintstones book also intrigued me, but at $4 a book it is kinda expensive.

Just got round to finishing my books from last week. Definitely sticking with the Flash as I've enjoyed both the Rebirth issue and #1 a lot. Detective Comics has had a solid start too.

I know this group here is mostly for those that read books on the regular, but I've started getting into the collecting aspect. I guess I shouldn't say "getting into" as I've had books stored away since I was young, but I'm now actively trying to find keys and getting things graded.

Currently, I'm waiting to get my first two graded books back, but I'm wondering if anybody else here is into that sort of thing.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me

Sci-Fi type stuff:

East of West
Lazarus
Revival
Saga
Drifter

Fantasy type stuff:

Monstress
Birthright

A darkish fairy tail with cutesy coat of paint:

I Hate Fairyland

And then because I just have to do it Manifest Destiny. It's my favorite titles. It's monsterous retelling of Lewis and Clark's expedition into the West.

All of these books are from Image.

Sci-Fi type stuff:

East of West
Lazarus
Revival
Saga
Drifter

Fantasy type stuff:

Monstress
Birthright

A darkish fairy tail with cutesy coat of paint:

I Hate Fairyland

And then because I just have to do it Manifest Destiny. It's my favorite titles. It's monsterous retelling of Lewis and Clark's expedition into the West.

All of these books are from Image.

Thanks too. Manifest Destiny seems really interesting! I will buy the first trade soon.

Owzers

Hmmm James Harden action figure, I picture people putting it back in the box after the Rockets lose in the first round of the playoffs.

MU ios app still not working, I want to read bad Marvel books and it's not letting me.

BrightLightLava

Unconfirmed Member
I know this group here is mostly for those that read books on the regular, but I've started getting into the collecting aspect. I guess I shouldn't say "getting into" as I've had books stored away since I was young, but I'm now actively trying to find keys and getting things graded.

Currently, I'm waiting to get my first two graded books back, but I'm wondering if anybody else here is into that sort of thing.

I've never gotten into the grading thing, myself, but then I've mostly switched to digital anyway. Do you just box it up real tight and send them in to GCC?

Messi

Hmmm James Harden action figure, I picture people putting it back in the box after the Rockets lose in the first round of the playoffs.

MU ios app still not working, I want to read bad Marvel books and it's not letting me.

M8 we were in the conference finals 2 years ago. Fan up

Dallas and Houston battle it out for the 8 seed, see who has the honor of getting swept by GSW in the first round

edit: I'd buy a Harden variant before the homeless beard

James+Harden+2009+NBA+Draft+PanhS0yb9Ezl.jpg

I've never gotten into the grading thing, myself, but then I've mostly switched to digital anyway. Do you just box it up real tight and send them in to GCC?

Well, my first submissions happened at Denver Comic Con, but when you ship, you're supposed to double (or triple) board your books. They recommend them being a slightly larger bag and board than what they "normally" fit in. A Modern would go into a double boarded Silver, etc. You then wrap it in bubble wrap and ship it in a box. I plan on sending 6 or 8 books next time I do a shipment, because I've found some crazy stuff in incredible condition over the last couple weeks.

TheFlow

Banned
Whoa, pricey but I may have to check that out. How big ate these books dimension-wise?

Saw that the next Megg and Mogg book is listed on Amazon too. So excited for it. Megahex and In Amsterdam are fantastic.

Fantagraphics has quickly become one of my favorite publishers.

If it is a gallery edition then it will be bigger anything on your shelf.

Whoa, pricey but I may have to check that out. How big ate these books dimension-wise?

Saw that the next Megg and Mogg book is listed on Amazon too. So excited for it. Megahex and In Amsterdam are fantastic.

Fantagraphics has quickly become one of my favorite publishers.

The Prince Valiant studio edition was 17" x 23"! Comparatively, IDW Don Rosa AE is 14" x 20".

And I agree about FB. They are putting out so many great editions. Disney box sets, Peanuts box sets, all the L&R editions, Hip Hop Family Tree, Eternaut, Tardi collections, Adele Blanc Sec... the list goes on. The larger Locas hard covers are very well put together too.

Top Bottom