• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| July 2016. Everyone Loves A Hero, Everyone Loves You

They should do a "Marvels" book with stories from all the ones that have had the name. From Mar-Vell to Monica, from Genis to Phyla, from Carol to Kamala etc.

Edit: The new Marvel thread should be called "Marvel Now! 2.0 Season 2 The Sequel 365 Days To Next Thread".

Owzers

Have Gwenpool tell her her series keeps getting rebooted because no one is interested in her adventures but they all love Kamala, so Carol sends Kamala on a suicide mission. Maybe get rid of all the young heroes, they think they are so cool tearing up their Avengers memberships.

I dunno. Let's just do it and not think about it.

This is why:
e734fd257f1bf9adbb657e4b552207e0.jpg

I dont know about Carol, but you rip up my picture, you best be prepared for a Rumblr request m8.

TheFlow

Banned
They should do a "Marvels" book with stories from all the ones that have had the name. From Mar-Vell to Monica, from Genis to Phyla, from Carol to Kamala etc.

Edit: The new Marvel thread should be called "Marvel Now! 2.0 Season 2 The Sequel 365 Days To Next Thread".
Damn this is fucking good but might upset some peeps.

I think some own here came up with a clever title involving all new all different marvel now or something like that

shingi70

Banned
I love Carol enough to have a Corp T-shirt, but none of runs have went out to define the character and they keep pulling her each and every way until something sticks.

To make her a bit different move her out of new York and out her back with the military.

Messi

I love Carol enough to have a Corp T-shirt, but none of runs have went out to define the character and they keep pulling her each and every way until something sticks.

To make her a bit different move her out of new York and out her back with the military.

... Move her to space. Wait...

Carol's like the Marvel version of Wonder Woman, just this generic female icon with no defined supporting cast, history, rogues, personality traits...but without even the benefit of history on her side. But we gon keep trying until something happens because its a bad look for diversity if we say "fuck it".

Back to Bryan Hitch JL cuz this puzzles me, how did they sign him up for this book if they couldn't get him to draw it. Like if you hear "Bryan Hitch is on Justice League", you think, "Aw shit nigga cant wait to see him draw all my favorite superheroes (and Cyborg) fighting aliens in a spectacular, cinematic fashion!". Well guess what lil nigga, he's actually not drawing the ongoing, hope you like Tony Daniel.

Like did he ink the contract, then say "oh btw I'm like notoriously slow so I'm not gonna be able to draw this book, I could write it tho" and DC was like "oh shit why didnt we research this ;_;"

Carol's like the Marvel version of Wonder Woman, just this generic female icon with no defined supporting cast, history, rogues, personality traits...but without even the benefit of history on her side. But we gon keep trying until something happens because its a bad look for diversity if we say "fuck it".

Nailed it

tim1138

Back to Bryan Hitch JL cuz this puzzles me, how did they sign him up for this book if they couldn't get him to draw it. Like if you hear "Bryan Hitch is on Justice League", you think, "Aw shit nigga cant wait to see him draw all my favorite superheroes (and Cyborg) fighting aliens in a spectacular, cinematic fashion!". Well guess what lil nigga, he's actually not drawing the ongoing, hope you like Tony Daniel.

Like did he ink the contract, then say "oh btw I'm like notoriously slow so I'm not gonna be able to draw this book, I could write it tho" and DC was like "oh shit why didnt we research this ;_;"

Probably because when he did have a JLA book he was drawing he only managed to do 7 issues in a year and even then I believe he had help finishing the last couple issues. He's been teasing an unannounced DC book that he's drawing since the Rebirth teases first appeared. It's apparently coming out next year, so hopefully he's been spending all this time drawing it and actually getting ahead. Of course Hitch also said he had the first 13 issues of JLA written and drawn before the first issue came out, so...

Is it just history on WW's side? Even if her personality traits and motivations are starkly different from writer to writer, she has had some top tier runs. Some of those are going to linger and form a portrait of Wonder Woman that sticks in your mind.

Has Carol had any great run?

VanWinkle

Yeah JL was fairly meh. I felt like Hitch wasn't on his game art-wise either. Sometimes it looked great, and every once in awhile you get a VERY oddly drawn face or lazy background detail. I didn't even think it got CLOSE to "horrible" like some people said, but it was disappointing since I know he's better than this.

shingi70

Banned
It helped Windy had a TV show that people today still know the gist of. I wonder if Carol would have benefited from getting a Black Panther/Wonder Woman appearance in an earlier movie to set the tone for the character.

Tizoc

Wonder woman does have a decent rogues gallery and had at least 3 good writers doing great stories ft. Her

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Is there a way to fight or trade via Pokemon Go over the web? Would love to battle some ComicGaffers if the game should ever release here

tim1138

Not sure what JC is talking about there comparing Diana and Carol. Not only does WW have defined rogues, supporting characters, history, etc., but there's been three insanely good modern runs (Perez, Rucka, Simone). Wonder Woman is what Marvel aspires Carol to be, but it's just not working because no one cares.

ElNarez

Banned
The real problem is just how much effort you have to put in to sum up Carol Danvers' basic plot hook.

So, she's an Air Force Major who ends up at NASA, where she meets a super-powerful alien named Mar-Vell. One day, Mar-Vell's mortal enemy Yon-Rogg abducts her to bait Mar-Vell. After a device called the Psyche-Magnitron explodes, her DNA gets bound to his alien DNA and she gets super-powers. And then she runs around as Ms. Marvel for a while, until she doesn't, and that's how Captain Marvel happened.

The real problem is just how much effort you have to put in to sum up Carol Danvers' basic plot hook.

I find the bigger issue to be that she's just not all that likeable. Not when you have characters like Spider-Woman, Ms. Marvel and Squirrel Girl in the same line.

BrightLightLava

Unconfirmed Member
ElNarez's avatar reminded me. TheFlow, if you're looking for a complicated run still, Gillen's Journey Into Mystery run with Loki is great, and leads right into his Young Avengers. Technically, I'd stat with his Siege Loki book and then go from there.

So, she's an Air Force Major who ends up at NASA, where she meets a super-powerful alien named Mar-Vell. One day, Mar-Vell's mortal enemy Yon-Rogg abducts her to bait Mar-Vell. After a device called the Psyche-Magnitron explodes, her DNA gets bound to his alien DNA and she gets super-powers. And then she runs around as Ms. Marvel for a while, until she doesn't, and that's how Captain Marvel happened.

"Oh boy I'm curious to read up on the history of this character"

Vince-McMahon-distraught.gif

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
I just got to Chicago for a podcast convention tomorrow. I really hate driving in major cities. Had to pop a couple of medical chocolates as soon as I got to my room.

Top Bottom