• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| July 2016. Everyone Loves A Hero, Everyone Loves You

ElNarez

Banned
I find the bigger issue to be that she's just not all that likeable. Not when you have characters like Spider-Woman, Ms. Marvel and Squirrel Girl in the same line.

Oh, you mean "genetics experiment assassin turned good", "teen girl from Jersey who got Inhuman powers" and "part squirrel and part girl"?

Carol Danvers is way more complicated than your average hero.

Okay okay. I'll try Infamous Iron Man because the greatest Marvel creative team in history is making it. Marvel, you seriously need to calm your robot boners. Speaking of robot boners, the new issue of Grant Morrison's Heavy Metal magazine has some. It really didn't take him very long to get to a sex-themed issue, did it?

mreddie

I love Carol enough to have a Corp T-shirt, but none of runs have went out to define the character and they keep pulling her each and every way until something sticks.

To make her a bit different move her out of new York and out her back with the military.

Her best years was ironically the Brian Reed era where she wanted to be best, now that she is...kinda, where do you go? KSD limited her which helped but then the space arc which was pointless as fuck.

The recent arc is kinda ok since she's dealing with space threats but where else can you take a character?

Oh, you mean "genetics experiment assassin turned good", "teen girl from Jersey who got Inhuman powers" and "part squirrel and part girl"?

Carol Danvers is way more complicated than your average hero.

By "way more complicated," do you actually mean "way more of an asshole?"

Because I totally agree if this is the case.

ElNarez

Banned
By "way more complicated," do you actually mean "way more of an asshole?"

Because I totally agree if this is the case.

People love assholes, they just announced a book where Victor Von Doom, who's been an asshole for 50 years at least, is replacing Tony Stark, also an asshole, as Iron Man, which is kind of pure id for assholes.

PS: Infamous Iron Man is a weird direction to take the series in but I trust Sucker Punch to do right by the crossover

PsychBat!

Banned
Explaining her origin doesn't make her complicated. That's just stuff to make her seem more interesting than she is. Because there's hardly anything more to her after that.

Maleev is terrible.

latest

ElNarez

Banned
Explaining her origin doesn't make her complicated. That's just stuff to make her seem more interesting than she is. Because there's hardly anything more to her after that.

The point of explaining the origin is that there's no easy story hook. To work with the previous examples: Spider-Woman has "trying to adjust to life when you're a weird science experiment former assassin". Ms. Marvel has "trying to juggle teen girl life and hero life". Squirrel Girl has "all the thrills of being a squirrel and also a girl, but not a girl squirrel".

It's the basic foundation to build stories on, and Carol's is all kinds of fucked up.

The Marvel logos are a cry for help by the intern they have chained in the basement with Walt Disney's head. We can decode the message if we look deeply enough

Bendis and Aaron are writing a ton of books.

The last two Marvel superstar writers left, gotta spread them around everywhere

Messi

Why does Carol have to be likable as a character?

Plenty of characters I want to read about who are unlikable. Doom for example

Maleev was a nice change of pace when that kind of style wasn't common in mainstream comics. But he leans too hard on bad photo referencing.

Never forget Maleev Namor.

namor.jpg~original

dark-reign-namor.jpg

Owzers

i'm confused, do we like the Infamous logo or dislike it? When people post in caps i assume it's out of excitement.

After the Champions logo i'm logo'd out. I need to shower but i want to read comics so i'm going to read comics in the shower. I've never done this before and assume it's a thing.

frye

I feel Bendis/Maleev is one of those teams that brings diminishing returns every time it's trotted out

like, at first you're like "whoa I loved those guys together on Daredevil" and then you think of all the work they've done together since and you remember all the unmemorable comics they've done as a duo since

My kid just unlocked Black Cat in Lego Marvel and wanted to know if she's a good guy or a bad guy. I...didn't know what to say. :( Thanks Slott.

i'm confused, do we like the Infamous logo or dislike it? When people post in caps i assume it's out of excitement.

After the Champions logo i'm logo'd out. I need to shower but i want to read comics so i'm going to read comics in the shower. I've never done this before and assume it's a thing.

On our water proof tablets we can, join the future grandpa

I feel Bendis/Maleev is one of those teams that brings diminishing returns every time it's trotted out

like, at first you're like "whoa I loved those guys together on Daredevil" and then you think of all the work they've done together since and you remember all the unmemorable comics they've done as a duo since

remember their run on moon knight

me neither

Is this a serious question? I'm not going to buy a book about an asshole. And Carol was in full asshole mode in the new issue of Spider-Woman.

Is this a serious response?

I mean I tried to come up with a definitive list of all of the major characters who are assholes but it was too long and I got bored

Top Bottom