• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| July 2016. Everyone Loves A Hero, Everyone Loves You

Doom is 100% Vincent Cassel.

Someone asked him about it on Twitter and he said it was a blend of Cassel and some soccer player, but all I can see is Cassel.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
Yeah, Ozil, but you're right. He looks nothing like Ozil at all haha

I wonder why he chose that actor for a reference

Cassel plays a great villain, but not a Doom kind of villain.

I always thought Mads Mikkelsen would be the ideal Doom.

I'm a huge Fantastic Four fan, and my dream would be a trilogy of movies where Doom isn't even a villain until the last one, and his relationship with Reed is good until the end of the second. And my ideal Reed is Guy Pearce.

Guy_Pearce_Cannes_2012.jpg

But both actors have already been wasted in the MCU, and Fox still has the FF rights, so fuck me.

Mafro

Captain Marvel by Margaret Stohl and artist Ramon Rosanas announced.
They are still really trying with her huh.

So far Marvel Now 2.0 is looking worse than ANAD.
Legit looking possible so far.

Tell me when he does something with the characters he has in Ultimates. It's a pretty book to look at, nothing more.
Black Panther sassing America in the first issue was great. Does the huge change in Galactus count?

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Thread needs more BKs and Messis

People that actually...you know, like comic books :(

BrightLightLava

Unconfirmed Member
Sure, but it's not enough.

Ewing has these amazing characters on deck and he's doing absolutely nothing with them.

I feel like that's a function of their involvement in Civil War II. It's hard to do something big with a book if you know that one of your leads is about to be dragged into an event.

Mafro

Sure, but it's not enough.

Ewing has these amazing characters on deck and he's doing absolutely nothing with them.
I like what he's done with Blue Marvel and, to a lesser extent, Miss America too far. Still really don't see why Carol is on that team though.

Ya know that Sonic Mega Drive comic was pretty cute kids book, great art, fun characters. But damn it takes forever for this nigga to draw 22 pages. Next issue solicited for November???

BrightLightLava

Unconfirmed Member
I like what he's done with Blue Marvel and, to a lesser extent, Miss America too far. Still really don't see why Carol is on that team though.

Really? I was going to say it feels like America has been recovering from making that big portal for about 3 issues now. I did like what he had been doing with her before that, though.

I feel like that's a function of their involvement in Civil War II. It's hard to do something big with a book if you know that one of your leads is about to be dragged into an event.
It's hard, but if you're good, you make it work. I feel like Spencer isn't getting enough credit for how smart the Sam Wilson take on Civil War II is. Spencer really made that work for him and what he was already doing with his book.

BrightLightLava

Unconfirmed Member
It's hard, but if you're good, you make it work. I feel like Spencer isn't getting enough credit for how smart the Sam Wilson take on Civil War II is. Spencer really made that work for him and what he was already doing with his book.

That was good. I liked that he cut through the metaphor and called it like it is, while also giving his character a good reason for choosing the side that he did, while also make sure it was clear that he didn't fully agree with his side's leader. That was a real good book, and it's sad to see how relevant it's been to the last few days.

That was good. I liked that he cut through the metaphor and called it like it is, while also giving his character a good reason for choosing the side that he did, while also make sure it was clear that he didn't fully agree with his side's leader. That was a real good book, and it's sad to see how relevant it's been to the last few days.
It's also sad that the Steve Rogers book is getting all the attention when Sam Wilson is the real stuff.

Sandfox

The only bad thing I can say about the book is how Cap Wolf stuck around for like an issue too long. Sam is different enough from Steve to justify two Cap books.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
The movie is going to get Carol right, and then the comics will just emulate that afterwards. So nothing they're doing now even matters.

this is where i'm at. at this point, i have more faith in Feige's crew than Marvel's authors RE: Carol.

they'll reverse engineer her character from the movie, push new books until she gets a compelling rogues gallery and then we're off to the races. my future-kids will love her hit cartoon series.

this is where i'm at. at this point, i have more faith in Feige's crew than Marvel's authors RE: Carol.

they'll reverse engineer her character from the movie, push new books until she gets a compelling rogues gallery and then we're off to the races. my future-kids will love her hit cartoon series.

The character definitely has potential, but it feels like every writer is trying to figure her out when this stuff should have been hammered out at one of those Marvel retreats if the company was going to push her so hard.

Boogiepop

All this Carol talk reminded me that the whole Rape of Ms. Marvel thing is something that happened. Ugh, that really has to be one of the worst comic moments out there.

On the plus side, finally hit Sunstone volume 4 in my backlog (midway through), so that's been fun!

The character definitely has potential, but it feels like every writer is trying to figure her out when this stuff should have been hammered out at one of those Marvel retreats if the company was going to push her so hard.
You can tell from the writers they put in Carol's books that they aren't trying to make a top book, they're just churning out material so there are trades on shelves when the movie comes out.

If you had someone like Aaron working on it, he would cut all the bullshit, get down to the core of what works, and tell a great story that used the character to her potential, and you could hand to anyone to make them understand why the character is good. He can do that with anyone.

But Marvel doesn't have anyone of that caliber doing anything at all with Carol. Even with her being a central figure in Civil War II, no one is doing anything with her. Even in her solo book, they have Christos Gage coming in out of nowhere just to do Civil War issues before the relaunch.

People say Carol sucks, but Marvel isn't even trying, so who can say what's possible if someone actually did?

I really think that movie is going to turn things around. Look how well they got their Ant-Man shit together. Never would have happened without the movie. This is the best Scott Lang material out there, and I think we'll see the best Carol material after the movie.

Vibranium

Banned
Thread needs more BKs and Messis

People that actually...you know, like comic books :(

I like comic books! I just have some issues with comic executives sometimes.

So, people should be reading Green Arrow. It's fun and since we probably won't get Ollie in the DCEU for quite a while it's something to hold onto.

Took a look at the new Thunderbolts though and it's pretty bad aside from Bucky. I hate the paintball mask, the domino mask works fine enough and he looks close enough to the movies as it is for new readers. I still dream of Latour coming back to Winter Soldier.

I like comic books! I just have some issues with comic executives sometimes.

So, people should be reading Green Arrow. It's fun and since we probably won't get Ollie in the DCEU for quite a while it's something to hold onto.

Of all the Rebirth titles, it's really the biggest surprise
and probably the best
. Very reminiscent of Grell's run, which is why I love it so much.

If by series you mean a five minute cameo during Season 89 of Ultimate Spider-Man then sure.

Bro, did you break gaf? Your quote leads here

http://m.neogaf.com/showpost.php?p=20952043

But Marvel doesn't have anyone of that caliber doing anything at all with Carol. Even with her being a central figure in Civil War II, no one is doing anything with her. Even in her solo book, they have Christos Gage coming in out of nowhere just to do Civil War issues before the relaunch.

Marvel barely has anyone of Aaron's caliber even working for them anymore. There was a significant exodus where a lot of writers realized that they make better money writing their own books fof Image.

Marvel barely has anyone of Aaron's caliber even working for them anymore. There was a significant exodus where a lot of writers realized that they make better money writing their own books fof Image.
They didn't care when they still had those people either.

I think Marvel needs major reform. Treat your creators better, and stop worrying about the profitability of your comics and recognize that these creators are the people creating the content that will then be mined for movie ideas, merchandise, video games, cartoons, and all the other stuff where they make the real money. There's nothing new to mine if all the writers have been chased off.

mreddie

Al Ewing is on that Christos Gage, Cullen Bunn level.

Aaron and Spencer are Marvel's top talent right now.

We need to rank the top talent.

Waid, Ewing, Spencer, Aaron and Wilson are my top 5. Bendis I want to say should be close but his GOTG/Internation IM is basura.

Of all the Rebirth titles, it's really the biggest surprise
and probably the best
. Very reminiscent of Grell's run, which is why I love it so much.

Bro, did you break gaf? Your quote leads here

http://m.neogaf.com/showpost.php?p=20952043

Why does that quote link to the Demon's Souls OT?

Every single time I type on my phone it ends in disaster. I'm processing a video on my desktop overnight so I am stuck with this.

We need to rank the top talent.

Waid, Ewing, Spencer, Aaron and Wilson are my top 5. Bendis I want to say should be close but his GOTG/Internation IM is basura.
Waid is great, but not with his current Marvel work. That Avengers book is pretty bland, and while Black Widow is very good, it seems to be Samnee carrying the weight of that thing.

mreddie

Waid is great, but not with his current Marvel work. That Avengers book is pretty bland, and while Black Widow is very good, it seems to be Samnee carrying the weight of that thing.

I think ANAD Avengers is good but yeah, his BW is basically Samnee. I forgot Duggan but I only picked the recent Ultron arc so he's somewhere with Hastings.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
This month needs to fuck off and be erased from history already. Never been so stressed out at work like the last 2 weeks, not even 2 years ago when the company switched owners and my job was at risk.

The worst part is when people tell you to relax, as if its a on/off switch.

I literally feel my health degrade from this shit. Bah.

I think Marvel needs major reform. Treat your creators better, and stop worrying about the profitability of your comics and recognize that these creators are the people creating the content that will then be mined for movie ideas, merchandise, video games, cartoons, and all the other stuff where they make the real money. There's nothing new to mine if all the writers have been chased off.

I think Marvel has this idea that they can just grow a new crop of writers when the old ones leave. And it works to some extent with writers like G. Willow Wilson, but it doesn't help when the ones leaving are some of the greats. You can't replace Hickman or Remender so easily. They'll always have Bendis, though. That guy is a lifer. But Marvel needs to find a happy medium between keeping the established names happy and nurturing the next generation.

mreddie

I think Marvel has this idea that they can just grow a new crop of writers when the old ones leave. And it works to some extent with writers like G. Willow Wilson, but it doesn't help when the ones leaving are some of the greats. You can't replace Hickman or Remender so easily. They'll always have Bendis, though. That guy is a lifer. But Marvel needs to find a happy medium between keeping the established names happy and nurturing the next generation.

So Bendis is John Cena?

This month needs to fuck off and be erased from history already. Never been so stressed out at work like the last 2 weeks, not even 2 years ago when the company switched owners and my job was at risk.

This summer needs a reboot,
They're arrogant because they can reliably beat DC's ass in market share with one hand behind their back.

If Rebirth doesn't beat them up, we are in for hard times.

VanWinkle

Even though I loved Lemire's Green Arrow New 52 run, Percy's new one feels how a GA comic SHOULD feel. It's just perfect. GA was just a better character pre-N52. But this is great.

shingi70

Banned

Thats not good man, can't really tell you to relax, but try to take it easy.

Pretty good Night, went to the movies with my girlfriend and we took her littlest brother (4) and it was pretty fun. Thursday was have the day all to ourselves witthout her family which should be fun.

They're arrogant because they can reliably beat DC's ass in market share with one hand behind their back.

And I'm wondering how much of that is due to sales volume and not just pricing.

With Darkseid War and Rebirth, I've been finding myself looking forward to certain DC books more than my regular Marvel list. And maybe five or so years back, I was the type that had very little interest in DC. So DC is definitely on the right path.

Top Bottom