• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| July 2016. Everyone Loves A Hero, Everyone Loves You

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
So with the launch of New 52, I got into comics in a pretty good way. I had a pull list at my local store for at least 6 different series at any given time. I changed things up from time to time -- sometimes a series I really liked would get cancelled (Animal Man, Swamp Thing, FF by Matt Fraction); sometimes creative teams would swap and I'd lose interest (Wonder Woman); or I'd just get bored with a series and quit pulling it in favor of saving money or checking something else out.

I moved cities and away from the local shop that helped me sustain that interest and ended my pull list for just over a year now, and I guess most of the stuff I was pulling at the time wasn't really drawing my interest a whole lot. Plenty of interesting concepts but no consistency, IMO. The one thing I was interested in at the time that I stopped pulling was Hickman's Avengers/New Avengers, Time Runs Out, and Secret Wars was just getting ready to start. I've missed everything past Time Runs Out, though. I've sort of kept up through reviews and spoiler threads, but haven't actually read anything new since.

Series I really enjoyed in my few years consistently pulling:
* Animal Man (New 52)
* Swamp Thing (New 52)
* Wonder Woman (New 52, the Azzarello/Chiang team)
* Daredevil (Waid/Samnee team)
* FF (Fraction/Allred)
* Hawkeye (Fraction/Aja)
* Ant-Man (Spencer/Rosanas)
* Silver Surfer (Slott/Allred)
* Superior Foes of Spider-Man
* Saga (I pulled this via trades, not singles)
* The Wicked & The Divine
* Descender
* Star Wars and Darth Vader

I know I missed the Vader Down arc for Star Wars and intend to go back and check that out. I also know Saga is still extremely well received and will be trying to catch up if there are any volumes out I haven't gotten yet.

Any other series I should check out from All-New, All-Different Marvel that might match my approximate preferences? Maybe even from DC Rebirth?

I also like Captain America a lot but have yet to pull a solo series (I dug his role in Hickman's Avengers enough to feel like I was getting my fix). IIRC, Rick Remender was doing his kind of pulp-scifi-themed run with the character when I got into comics and it was a direction I wasn't too interested in, but I know Spencer is at the helm now. Not sure how well that might work since I kind of view Spencer as a comedic comic writer (with my limited exposure to his Marvel work -- I never checked out Morning Glories). I already have most of the Ed Brubaker major arcs for Cap.

I tend to prefer sort of lighter-toned, heartfelt stories. Paper Girls kind of caught my eye (great premise and creative team) and feels up my alley, might check that. Anything else..?

Yeah Paper Girls is good. Get it.

Chew is another good one. It will make you laugh ALOT and it'll make you cry a couple of times too.

I Hate Fairyland is cutesy and funny while also being hyper-violent.

From Marvel I'd go with All New Wolverine, Spider-Woman, and Spider-Man/Deadpool.

Messi

So with the launch of New 52, I got into comics in a pretty good way. I had a pull list at my local store for at least 6 different series at any given time. I changed things up from time to time -- sometimes a series I really liked would get cancelled (Animal Man, Swamp Thing, FF by Matt Fraction); sometimes creative teams would swap and I'd lose interest (Wonder Woman); or I'd just get bored with a series and quit pulling it in favor of saving money or checking something else out.

I moved cities and away from the local shop that helped me sustain that interest and ended my pull list for just over a year now, and I guess most of the stuff I was pulling at the time wasn't really drawing my interest a whole lot. Plenty of interesting concepts but no consistency, IMO. The one thing I was interested in at the time that I stopped pulling was Hickman's Avengers/New Avengers, Time Runs Out, and Secret Wars was just getting ready to start. I've missed everything past Time Runs Out, though. I've sort of kept up through reviews and spoiler threads, but haven't actually read anything new since.

Series I really enjoyed in my few years consistently pulling:
* Animal Man (New 52)
* Swamp Thing (New 52)
* Wonder Woman (New 52, the Azzarello/Chiang team)
* Daredevil (Waid/Samnee team)
* FF (Fraction/Allred)
* Hawkeye (Fraction/Aja)
* Ant-Man (Spencer/Rosanas)
* Silver Surfer (Slott/Allred)
* Superior Foes of Spider-Man
* Saga (I pulled this via trades, not singles)
* The Wicked & The Divine
* Descender
* Star Wars and Darth Vader

I know I missed the Vader Down arc for Star Wars and intend to go back and check that out. I also know Saga is still extremely well received and will be trying to catch up if there are any volumes out I haven't gotten yet.

Any other series I should check out from All-New, All-Different Marvel that might match my approximate preferences? Maybe even from DC Rebirth?

I also like Captain America a lot but have yet to pull a solo series (I dug his role in Hickman's Avengers enough to feel like I was getting my fix). IIRC, Rick Remender was doing his kind of pulp-scifi-themed run with the character when I got into comics and it was a direction I wasn't too interested in, but I know Spencer is at the helm now. Not sure how well that might work since I kind of view Spencer as a comedic comic writer (with my limited exposure to his Marvel work -- I never checked out Morning Glories). I already have most of the Ed Brubaker major arcs for Cap.

I tend to prefer sort of lighter-toned, heartfelt stories. Paper Girls kind of caught my eye (great premise and creative team) and feels up my alley, might check that. Anything else..?

Stjepan Sejic's lesbian romance bdsm friendship slice of life book Sunstone. It is wonderful and I think you will enjoy it. Very light at times and very emotional at times. My favorite comic. Lots of comicgaf loves it.

Also by Stjepan Sejic. Death Vigil is amazing. Light hearted book about demon hunters-ish. Funny with great characters.

gabbo

Stjepan Sejic's lesbian romance bdsm friendship slice of life book Sunstone. It is wonderful and I think you will enjoy it. Very light at times and very emotional at times. My favorite comic. Lots of comicgaf loves it.
He's not wrong. Hell, I got my girlfriend reading it now too.

Just started Young Justice.

I guess everyone wasn't kidding - only 3 episodes in and this is pretty terrific.

What's the next DCAU series I should be watching? Justice League Unlimited? I've seen TAS & BB when I was a kid.

Then Ms Marvel is a must-read! You can start with the pre-SW vol. 1 and continue from there:

I got excited someone was started to read pads young justice but it was the show :/

Yea JLU is a must watch. It's the peak of Bruce Timms action animation. Great and varied team ups and good arcs. And the action scenes are sooo good

Damn. 4001 AD Shadowman finally got Shadowman right. I'd love an ongoing with these characs.

And man Robert Gill is really coming along. Dipping a little Sean Murphy into his style. Rill nice.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
I got excited someone was started to read pads young justice but it was the show :/

Yea JLU is a must watch. It's the peak of Bruce Timms action animation. Great and varied team ups and good arcs. And the action scenes are sooo good

i'd love some YJ comics to read after i'm done w/ S2 - suggestions?

I checked some recommendations you guys gave me. Great stuff. And what happened to Image Comics?!? Back in the day it was only a publisher of clones from Marvel/DC superheroes stuff, but right now? Full of create original creations stuff.

But digital prices for trades seems a little bit off. Sometimes it us more expansive than buying the individual editions.

Owzers

I feel obligated to read bad MU books because i can't actually drop them and save money.

I'm talking about New Avengers.

Boogiepop

Oh damn, I finished reading Sunstone vol. #4, and that's left me both glad that I left it in my backlog for so long so the wait isn't THAT bad, but also sad that volume 5 isn't out yet.

Just started Young Justice.

I guess everyone wasn't kidding - only 3 episodes in and this is pretty terrific.

What's the next DCAU series I should be watching? Justice League Unlimited? I've seen TAS & BB when I was a kid.

Then Ms Marvel is a must-read! You can start with the pre-SW vol. 1 and continue from there:

Crap, yeah, I actually have a good number of Ms Marvel singles -- I think I got about 8 issues in and decided to drop it. I think it was a case for me where I really, really liked the character but the actual story wasn't moving along fast enough to keep me interested. Still though, I may jump back in.

Yeah Paper Girls is good. Get it.

Chew is another good one. It will make you laugh ALOT and it'll make you cry a couple of times too.

I Hate Fairyland is cutesy and funny while also being hyper-violent.

From Marvel I'd go with All New Wolverine, Spider-Woman, and Spider-Man/Deadpool.

I have heard great things about All-New Wolverine, assuming that is the one where X-23 has taken on the mantle? Spider-Woman looks great with the motherhood element coming into play. I have not seen much on Spidey/Deadpool -- I actually tend to get pretty checked out on Deadpool as a character. I like him, mind you, but he seems rather one-note to me, so I prefer him in smaller doses.

Also by Stjepan Sejic. Death Vigil is amazing. Light hearted book about demon hunters-ish. Funny with great characters.

I think I saw a solicit or maybe a small review for Sunstone and was completely blown away by the art. I love the positivity of your pitch for it and the follow up from gabbo so I will make it a definite one that I look into! Thanks!

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
I have not seen much on Spidey/Deadpool -- I actually tend to get pretty checked out on Deadpool as a character. I like him, mind you, but he seems rather one-note to me, so I prefer him in smaller doses.

It's from the team that did his original on-going series Joe Kelly and Ed McGuinness. But if that is going to be too much Deadpool I completely understand..

I just pushed a malfunctioning car home for an hour and a half in the thunderstorm currently going one in Stockholm. I'll get some rest now before I start rereading Sex Criminals.

Man this weeks Nailbiter writing is all fucked up. Did nobody proof read this? From misspellings, double words and even whole chat bubble going to the wrong people.

Ended up liking Spider-Woman more than I expected with it being a CW tie in. That isn't saying much because I almost skipped it all together. I loved this book at one point now I just wish it could go back to what it was and be done with crossovers and tie ins.

ASM was meh shit ending for a shit villain that should have basically been overpowered. Moon Knight continues to be awesome and confusing.

BrightLightLava

Unconfirmed Member
It doesn't get any better, if that helps

I still hate the art, but I also love Billy and Teddy, so I'll keep checking in via MU. I hate the art so much that I couldn't make myself buy it.

I just pushed a malfunctioning car home for an hour and a half in the thunderstorm currently going one in Stockholm. I'll get some rest now before I start rereading Sex Criminals.

Damn, that sounds shitty, but also sort of badass.

Ended up liking Spider-Woman more than I expected with it being a CW tie in. That isn't saying much because I almost skipped it all together. I loved this book at one point now I just wish it could go back to what it was and be done with crossovers and tie ins.

ASM was meh shit ending for a shit villain that should have basically been overpowered. Moon Knight continues to be awesome and confusing.
Did you read the Spider-Women crossover? I dropped Spider-Woman at that time because I couldn't afford a crappy crossover. If you did read it, how essential is it to issues that have come since? I really miss Spider-Woman and want to hop back on.

Did you read the Spider-Women crossover? I dropped Spider-Woman at that time because I couldn't afford a crappy crossover. If you did read it, how essential is it to issues that have come since? I really miss Spider-Woman and want to hop back on.

I skipped it except for the last issue which was mostly back to normal except for a character from the crossover dropping by. This issue almost seems like it's a one off story but then it ends up going into CW stuff at the end and the next issue will mostly be all CW related.

I didn't finish reading Spire, what'd you think of it overall?

it was very good, better than Six Gun Gorilla even.

His new book Weavers is good, too. The overriding feeling of Spurrier's work is that his comics never feel like filler occupying shelf space to keep the brand going, or illustrated TV/movie scripts hoping they'll get an adaptation out of it. These are very specific stories, born out of genre origins, but with concrete themes and ideas and characters and a definitive ending. If you read basically any of his interviews, you understand he puts a lot of thought into story structure and making all his individual scenes work in cohesion with each other. He's probably the only writer I've ever seen make specific requests on the tenses/sizes of the font so the reader gets a clearer idea of his intended characterization or tone.

Trickster

Guys I'm still a comic book novice with limited knowledge about the marvel universe. So I have a question!

Basically I just read Secret Invasion. In one of the later issues in that event, Captain America and Thor appears out nowhere at pretty much the same time. Thor Immediately ask Cap who he is because he aint the Cap. Now I do know that Cap is supposed to be dead after the Civil War event. So I figured obviously the is just a Skrull imitating him. But for the rest of Secret Invasion, Cap is fighting on the side of Earth and as far as is portrayed, he's not a Skrull. So I guess he's the real Cap? I tried googling but managed to get thing related to the Civil War movie, not comics....

Anyone that can clear up for me how Captain America comes back after dying in Civil War and why Thor says he aint who he appears to be?

Guys I'm still a comic book novice with limited knowledge about the marvel universe. So I have a question!

Basically I just read Secret Invasion. In one of the later issues in that event, Captain America and Thor appears out nowhere at pretty much the same time. Thor Immediately ask Cap who he is because he aint the Cap. Now I do know that Cap is supposed to be dead after the Civil War event. So I figured obviously the is just a Skrull imitating him. But for the rest of Secret Invasion, Cap is fighting on the side of Earth and as far as is portrayed, he's not a Skrull. So I guess he's the real Cap? I tried googling but managed to get thing related to the Civil War movie, not comics....

Anyone that can clear up for me how Captain America comes back after dying in Civil War and why Thor says he aint who he appears to be?
That is Bucky. Bucky was Captain America when Steve was dead.

GAMEPROFF

Banned

Its Bucky who helped out as Cap until Steve came back from beeing banished in time.

This isn't affiliated with the show in any way. This was created years before it but it's one of the most fun DC team book they've made. I love it a lot. PAD wrote the best impulse.

https://www.comixology.com/Young-Justice-1998-2003/comics-series/6156?ref=c2VhcmNoL2luZGV4L3RhYmxldC9zbGlkZXJMaXN0L3Nlcmllc1NsaWRlcg

First issue is free and a good portion is at 99 cent an issue

Speaking of it, is there a way to find out which comics are currently free on comixology? I may discover new series to like if I try some free issues.

frye

I'm reading his X-Men Legacy right now. I feel like it's making my internal Scottish accent better. Or at least my Simon Pegg as Scotty impression.

I read The Boys earlier this year which is a really fun book for accents, couldn't always get it right but going back and forth between various Scottish/English/American/crappy French accents was really cool especially since I usually have a fairly generic internal voice when I read anything.

mreddie

Spider Women mostly applies to Gwen, Jess is just key for the main bout with evil Cindy. She just bullshits with the Mary Janes and goes back to fight her counterpart I think.

It's completely non-essential.

His new book Weavers is good, too. The overriding feeling of Spurrier's work is that his comics never feel like filler occupying shelf space to keep the brand going, or illustrated TV/movie scripts hoping they'll get an adaptation out of it. These are very specific stories, born out of genre origins, but with concrete themes and ideas and characters and a definitive ending. If you read basically any of his interviews, you understand he puts a lot of thought into story structure and making all his individual scenes work in cohesion with each other. He's probably the only writer I've ever seen make specific requests on the tenses/sizes of the font so the reader gets a clearer idea of his intended characterization or tone.
Better than SGG is impressive. Need to read it.
How far did you get? I think I gave it 3 issues.
I think I was two issues in. I have the whole series but I decided to wait till it finished. I really enjoyed what I did read, especially the dialogue like JC was saying. The way the main character talked, especially with the way she muttered to herself, was great.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
Better than SGG is impressive. Need to read it.

I think I was two issues in. I have the whole series but I decided to wait till it finished. I really enjoyed what I did read, especially the dialogue like JC was saying. The way the main character talked, especially with the way she muttered to herself, was great.

The dialogue was the main reason I stopped reading. Made the entire thing feel like a chore to read.

I did not know he did that. Then again I haven't read enough of his work. Only read Cry Havoc, X-Force, and I'm currently reading Weavers. I will agree that he is fantastic at writing dialogue. That is 100% true on every level.

Top Bottom