• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| July 2016. Everyone Loves A Hero, Everyone Loves You

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
Here is my review of Shutter #22.

Shutter #22 -
horrified.gif

What if I'm not really sure where I stand on it?

Anyone read Kim & Kim? That was quite the surprise for me. Dope-ass, punk-trans, bounty-hunting hijinks.

Looking at the preview on CBR, it looks pretty good. I got spooked for a second when I saw Tess Fowler's name, but it looks like she only did a cover.

@Market: Looking at the current bestsellers at Comixology in my region I'd say that DC is back in force. Only one Marvel book on the top ten list even with sales going on.

Everyone flocks to new books when a publisher relaunches their main line. Sales will probably take a few months to stabilize. But I'm more optimistic about Rebirth than previous relaunches, Marvel or DC.

I wonder what John Layman and Rob Guillory will do post Chew. That's gotta be a daunting book to follow up.

I'm looking forward to it. Hopefully they'll still be working together.

Just started Young Justice.

I guess everyone wasn't kidding - only 3 episodes in and this is pretty terrific.

What's the next DCAU series I should be watching? Justice League Unlimited? I've seen TAS & BB when I was a kid.

JLU is pretty good. As it Teen Titans. But I think Young Justice was the best of the DC animated series.

Caught up on Invincible.

Whooooo boy that's some wild comics.

Invincible is consistently one of my favorite series. And the art has just gotten phenomenal over time. True cartooning mastery.

I feel obligated to read bad MU books because i can't actually drop them and save money.

I'm talking about New Avengers.

You should play Overwatch instead. You already wasted the money on that.

Here is my review of Shutter #22.

That's a pretty accurate review. Though I really don't know how to feel about it since other books have done things like that before. (WicDiv, Deadly Class, etc.)
I can see that the cast was getting too bloated, though. So it was probably necessary in some capacity.

Vic_Viper

Axis wasn't all Remender's fault. It was obvious it was originally just the final, self-contained arc of Uncanny Avengers but someone else made the decision to separate it out into its own crossover event and make it bigger than it originally was, he basically confirmed this in a reddit AMA after he left if I remember correctly.

He was meant to be on Extraordinary X-Men after Secret Wars. Would have been the first X-Men book on my pull list since his Uncanny X-Force ended.

This is exactly what I thought when I read Axis. It felt like it shouldn't have been the crossover Marvel made it into. The stuff with Iron Man was so dumb. As an end to his Uncanny X-Force and Avengers run it would have been great. Extrordinary X-Men would have been soo good! Also, I actually enjoyed his Cap stuff. It was a completely new take on Cap that we will probably never see again. It was refreshing but definitely not the go to for someone new to Cap but as a longtime reader it was fun to read something you don't see Cap going through.

Marvel Editorial stepping in and making these writers change things is why most of them are leaving in the first place and most don't ever want to return. Hickman said the same thing about Infinity, luckily Marvel let him do what he wanted with SW. I'm sure they did the same thing to Brubaker as well. Other than Bendis, who I'm not always a big fan, Aaron is the last good writer they have currently working that I actually enjoy reading each month.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
That's a pretty accurate review. Though I really don't know how to feel about it since other books have done things like that before. (WicDiv, Deadly Class, etc.)
I can see that the cast was getting too bloated, though. So it was probably necessary in some capacity.

Yeah it seems like most the important people were just wounded.
Killyan, Alain and Huckleberry should all survive wounds they received. Poor Leopard not so much
. :(

Paper Girls 7 ended on a bit of a sad note :(

Yeah that is not the ideal way you want to hear that news. Not that there is a good way to hear it.

Owzers

Overwatch is not a waste, i'm even considering using my ps4 mic that came in the box so i can tell people how great Mei is.

Deadpool #5 was okay but i think this turned into a fairly weak story around
Madcap, the best part was his daughter being happy to have been used as bait.
I'm demoting the book from good to okay, which i'm pretty sure i established at the start.

Jamie Mckelvie's CHVRCHES work about to hit an apex when the animated video for Bury It drops on Monday

Serp, you need to stop the Gambit stanning. It's gone too far.

I can't, when comics like Deadpool v Gambit come out to, i presume, solely insult me. The funniest gags are hipster jokes. In 2016.

This is exactly what I thought when I read Axis. It felt like it shouldn't have been the crossover Marvel made it into. The stuff with Iron Man was so dumb. As an end to his Uncanny X-Force and Avengers run it would have been great. Extrordinary X-Men would have been soo good! Also, I actually enjoyed his Cap stuff. It was a completely new take on Cap that we will probably never see again. It was refreshing but definitely not the go to for someone new to Cap but as a longtime reader it was fun to read something you don't see Cap going through.

Marvel Editorial stepping in and making these writers change things is why most of them are leaving in the first place and most don't ever want to return. Hickman said the same thing about Infinity, luckily Marvel let him do what he wanted with SW. I'm sure they did the same thing to Brubaker as well. Other than Bendis, who I'm not always a big fan, Aaron is the last good writer they have currently working that I actually enjoy reading each month.
Wasn't Original Sin supposed to just be a Thor storyline that got turned into an event? Same with Fear, Itself?

Vic_Viper

After reading the Green Arrow Rebirth stuff I'm kinda interested in reading more. Can anyone recommend some good runs worth reading post Kevin Smith? I liked Kevin's run but wasn't the biggest fan of the art which looked to much like a cartoon imo. I've heard the New 52 stuff is a bit meh. Wish they would have done a Green Areow & Green Lantern book in John's style.

Surprising absolutely no one. Marvel loves events. I think Infinity and Secret Wars were the only two events in recent memory that didn't turn out to be dog shit.

The problem is when they turn existing storylines into events. Those storylines aren't intended to be events for a reason, but yet they insist on doing it. But then you have genuine events, like Age of Ultron and AvX, that are just bad on their own anyways.

The problem is when they turn existing storylines into events. Those storylines aren't intended to be events for a reason, but yet they insist on doing it. But then you have genuine events, like Age of Ultron and AvX, that are just bad on their own anyways.

Realistically, I think Age of Ultron had the same problem that Secret Invasion had, though to a greater extent. I think Age of Ultron could easily have been done in two or three issues, whereas Secret Invasion probably would have been fine with four or five instead of seven. But then you have genuinely interesting events like Siege where they only gave it four issues.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
Birthright #16 was very illuminating and it's the first book I've read today where nobody got run through with a sword. It was refreshing. This book never seems to have any filler. Love it.

Realistically, I think Age of Ultron had the same problem that Secret Invasion had, though to a greater extent. I think Age of Ultron could easily have been done in two or three issues, whereas Secret Invasion probably would have been fine with four or five instead of seven. But then you have genuinely interesting events like Siege where they only gave it four issues.

It's a bit ridiculous when it starts to become a thing that every time I go into the store, I look at the wall and go "what event/crossover is happening now, again?" Because there's always one happening. Secret Wars > Standoff > Spider-Women > Civil War II. And that's just within the past 12 months. Even sadder when you consider that they're only mediocre most of the time. And that's at best.

Fucking ridiculous.

It's a bit ridiculous when it starts to become a thing that every time I go into the store, I look at the wall and go "what event/crossover is happening now, again?" Because there's always one happening. Secret Wars > Standoff > Spider-Women > Civil War II. And that's just within the past 12 months. Even sadder when you consider that they're only mediocre most of the time. And that's at best.

Fucking ridiculous.

And I think that's one reason why there's such a market for indy publishers like Dark Horse and Image. Because this is never a problem with them. You can keep reading the books you like without worrying if you're going to have to buy four other books to keep with the story. Invincible is over 120 issues in and not once have you had to read anything else to keep up.

And I think that's one reason why there's such a market for indy publishers like Dark Horse and Image. Because this is never a problem with them. You can keep reading the books you like without worrying if you're going to have to buy four other books to keep with the story. Invincible is over 120 issues in and not once have you had to read anything else to keep up.

These have to bring in a lot of readers though, or otherwise they wouldn't keep doing them.

Messi

James Harden signed a 4 year extension with the Rockets for $118 million. That's a lot of cheese but I am happy. More Harden for us Sillymonkey.

500x1000px-LL-ab4253c4_ezgif-53533195.gif

*scratch out Howard and replace with Clint Capella pls

Fucking ridiculous.

I think it's important to distinguish between crossovers that affect a limited number of books and an event that has its own limited series and affect the majority of titles in the line. Secret Wars, which literally impacted the entire line, is an event, as is Civil War II. Spider-Women was just three titles, all in the same family, and Standoff I think hit seven or eight titles.

By that metric, Marvel has 1-2 events per year. I do wish they would always limit themselves to one even though I do generally enjoy events more often than not. When they do turn out bad they really drag down my enjoyment of much of the line, and I appreciate the space between events so titles have a chance to breathe a bit.

I usually appreciate crossovers since they give me a chance to take another look at books I had previously written off, and sometimes I am pleasantly surprised as I was with Uncanny Avengers and Illuminati during Standoff. I also like seeing the characters of those books interact, which is one of the best features of a shared universe; the writers typically have a greater opportunity to do this than they do during an event.

edit: whoops, either I missed that you had the word crossover in there or you edited in. Well, I still think the point stands: they have a vastly different impact on the overall line.

Maybe it's more about marketing than anything else. It used to be a special thing when a big event was going on, but Marvel likes to always be in event-mode now.
It has to be doing something positive, because otherwise Marvel needs to fucking chill on that shit.
I think it's important to distinguish between crossovers that affect a limited number of books and an event that has its own limited series and affect the majority of titles in the line. Secret Wars, which literally impacted the entire line, is an event, as is Civil War II. Spider-Women was just three titles, all in the same family, and Standoff I think hit seven or eight titles.

By that metric, Marvel has 1-2 events per year. I do wish they would always limit themselves to one even though I do generally enjoy events more often than not. When they do turn out bad they really drag down my enjoyment of much of the line, and I appreciate the space between events so titles have a chance to breathe a bit.

I usually appreciate crossovers since they give me a chance to take another look at books I had previously written off, and sometimes I am pleasantly surprised as I was with Uncanny Avengers and Illuminati during Standoff. I also like seeing the characters of those books interact, which is one of the best features of a shared universe; the writers typically have a greater opportunity to do this than they do during an event.

edit: whoops, either I missed that you had the word crossover in there or you edited in. Well, I still think the point stands: they have a vastly different impact on the overall line.
I realize the difference, and I don't mind crossovers as much, but it doesn't change the fact that, on a regular basis, there are things that impact multiple books occurring on a regular basis. It's a bit tiresome, and like I said unless it's having a massive positive impact on sales, then they really need to back off. Or, at the very VERY least, no more turning isolated storylines into events, like Axis.

God, could you imagine if Whedon's Astonishing happened in this climate? The ending would have been forced to be an event, what with everyone trying to save the planet from a space bullet.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me

Crossovers might be a lesser evil but they are still an evil if one of your books gets sucked into one where you only read one book involved.

Crossovers might be a lesser evil but they are still an evil if one of your books gets sucked into one where you only read one book involved.

That's what happened with me and Spider-Women. I was just reading Silk, which I dropped because of Spider-Women because I realized I didn't give a fuck about Cindy anymore.

With Standoff it was fine, though, because I was already reading SamCap -- which is really the only necessary book -- ANAD Avengers, The New Avengers, and Illuminati.

TheFlow

Banned
14 more books to sell and just hit 760 dollars wooh!.

If anybody is interested in a list of what I got left just pm me. I want these books gone. digital for life

I realize the difference, and I don't mind crossovers as much, but it doesn't change the fact that, on a regular basis, there are things that impact multiple books occurring on a regular basis. It's a bit tiresome, and like I said unless it's having a massive positive impact on sales, then they really need to back off. Or, at the very VERY least, no more turning isolated storylines into events, like Axis.

God, could you imagine if Whedon's Astonishing happened in this climate? The ending would have been forced to be an event, what with everyone trying to save the planet from a space bullet.

The bolded seems to imply that stories involving a large number of characters or earth-shattering threats cannot occur in self-contained books in the current climate, which isn't true. I mean it just happened in Silver Surfer, practically the entire Marvel universe was featured. A large roster of characters was featured in the latest issues of Amazing Spider-Man as well but that wasn't an event. Also see Vision. I think in the case of Astonishing X-Men there is no way that could have ever been an event, how do you even stretch that out to other books? The part of the story you describe was resolved within a couple of issues.

AXIS was a total mess, granted, but I think there were fundamental problems with that story and nothing could have saved it. Some here seem to think that would have turned out better if it had just been the conclusion of Uncanny Avengers and I completely disagree. It's central conceit was super silly and didn't work at all.

These things do have a positive impact on sales, of course, which is why they keep doing them. Someone here recently pointed out that tying a book into a Marvel event is usually left up to the creative team...which is actually something I wish they wouldn't do, I imagine the opportunity for an event-driven sales bump is too great for books with middling or weak sales.

I still disagree, I think crossovers are usually pretty fun, though I understand why some people don't like them, especially when you're trying to buy books within a fixed budget. I think to say they are an "evil" is a highly subjective take.

That's what happened with me and Spider-Women. I was just reading Silk, which I dropped because of Spider-Women because I realized I didn't give a fuck about Cindy anymore.

With Standoff it was fine, though, because I was already reading SamCap -- which is really the only necessary book -- ANAD Avengers, The New Avengers, and Illuminati.

Yeah, I dropped Silk after Spider-Women too for the same reasons. It's rare that I'll drop a book immediately following a crossover though, and I didn't drop Spider-Woman.

Owzers

I don't think the Rockets will be as fun without Howard, he brought a lot of "how will this team implode" drama to the table. I guess i could just watch Harden fall to the ground all the time...

I wanted to wait to comment on Batman #1 until i read #2 so swiftly read both issues. For Batman #1, the general sentiment was that i wanted
Bruce to just die. Go into the ocean Bruce, the water is great.
Issue #2 i liked Alfred's
line about the sword present and Bruce being like that ever since, but apart from that not much.

If it weren't for the crossover coming up i'd consider continuing with the series, but part of me thinks it's average cape stuff.

Owzers

I have this great idea for a story but i want to team up with two other creative teams so i only have to do a third of it.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
James Harden signed a 4 year extension with the Rockets for . That's a lot of cheese but I am happy. More Harden for us Sillymonkey.

500x1000px-LL-ab4253c4_ezgif-53533195.gif

*scratch out Howard and replace with Clint Capella pls

what comic is this

Wasn't Original Sin supposed to just be a Thor storyline that got turned into an event? Same with Fear, Itself?
I doubt that's true because Original Sin barely had anything to do with Thor. It was much more about Nick Fury. And the significant Thor stuff was handled in a separate mini-series that Aaron was only co-writer on.

Top Bottom