• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| July 2016. Everyone Loves A Hero, Everyone Loves You

Yeah, he said earlier he still had 100+ issues to read.

So what was it that made you decide to catch up?

Well, I've been keeping up with it on the sales so I had up to 150 and after I caught up on Invincible I figured, fuck it, and just bought the most recent 6. I'm on a vacation with lots of time on my hands in the uninhabitable heat swamp that is South Florida and it's a PokeLight zone, so I have lots of reading time in my hands. I was really stuck in all the prison stuff. I had read the Compendium ages ago in print so trying to get through that again was such a slog. Now that I'm past it it's such a breeze. Kirkman, for all his faults, is super good at stringing together compelling circumstance, even if the charac beats are thoroughly one note.

Well, I've been keeping up with it on the sales so I had up to 150 and after I caught up on Invincible I figured, fuck it, and just bought the most recent 6. I'm on a vacation with lots of time on my hands in the uninhabitable heat swamp that is South Florida and it's a PokeLight zone, so I have lots of reading time in my hands. I was really stuck in all the prison stuff. I had read the Compendium ages ago in print so trying to get through that again was such a slog. Now that I'm past it it's such a breeze. Kirkman, for all his faults, is super good at stringing together compelling circumstance, even if the charac beats are thoroughly one note.

Yeah, in hindsight I can see how the prison story would be a bit of a slog to get through. But the series gets much better after they finish that arc.

Birdie can't get enough of the TV show.

I can. I mean, it started getting better recently, but the last season or two before that I found terribly boring.

Messi

Down for New Runaways, and Hawkkate. Was she in anything besides that terrible hawkeye book?

Yeah she was the best part of Fraction's run.

4075319-2hawkeye2012020_int_lr2-page-002-e1417462021252.jpg

BrightLightLava

Unconfirmed Member
The good Hawkeye book and the Duggan Hawkeye stuff, dunno why Duggan didn't do AN Hawkeye, he clearly gets Clint/Kate.

Avengers Undercover was kinda like a new Runaways book lol.

Kate was also in the good Hawkeye book and she has made appearances elsewhere.

Yeah she was the best part of Fraction's run.

Yeah, I knew that bit. And Both Young Avengers runs, I just couldn't remember if she was on another team or something during ANAD. Her solo,adventures in LA were great in Fraction's stuff.

And nice avatar, Freeza. Jasper's a boss.

Zombine

Banned
Marvel Comics are the physical manifestation of the fate of Sisyphus myth. Right when you finally feel like a story is making progress, you end up right back at a new #1

mreddie

Marvel Comics feel like Cable TV shows, almost all of the seasons feel connected yet, loose and limited after the season is done and they jump to the season after..

Marvel Comics are the physical manifestation of the fate of Sisyphus myth. Right when you finally feel like a story is making progress, you end up right back at a new #1

Let's not forget the time when Marvel thought it was a great idea to slap a huge #1 on every first issue of a new story arc despite the issue not actually being #1 in the series.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Kate was in Hawkeye/Deadpool and she was the best thing in it. Her interactions with Wade were great

Another thing Adlard doesn't get enough credit for is dressing the zombies. No rags here, they wear real human clothes, really gives a sense of the people lost.

BrightLightLava

Unconfirmed Member
Let's not forget the time when Marvel thought it was a great idea to slap a huge #1 on every first issue of a new story arc despite the issue not actually being #1 in the series.

Honestly, that's how I think the future of comics may looks. They'll have each arc numbered desperately with a much smaller running total going. That way they get a new number 1 every four to six months.

Honestly, that's how I think the future of comics may looks. They'll have each arc numbered desperately with a much smaller running total going. That way they get a new number 1 every four to six months.

It's not a bad way to go. I know Dark Horse does it with a lot of books. Instead of having an ongoing numbering system, they subtitle each arc and number them #1-X for that story. The problem comes in with Marvel because they seem to have trouble being consistent in anything.

What and how is Deadly Class?
It's a comic about an orphan joining a high school for assassins.

It's fantastic. One of my favorite comics every month. Remender's angsty writing works really well for a group of fucked up teens and Wes Craig's art is just fantastic here. Great sense of motion and paneling. Incredibly stylish.
Hoping for an Ant-Man and Maggot team-up book.

I didn't know Love and Rockets was part of the Marvel Universe now!

Some of you may recall I started up a D&D game based heavily on Time Runs Out. Well my players just blew up their first planet and man oh man it was sooooo rad. Felt so much like the comic and none of them have read it.

They got down there with their bomb and suddenly the consequences of what they were about to do hit almost the entire group like a ton of bricks. They had a half hour debate on what they should do while I just sat back and watched them squirm.

SO FUN

Some of you may recall I started up a D&D game based heavily on Time Runs Out. Well my players just blew up their first planet and man oh man it was sooooo rad. Felt so much like the comic and none of them have read it.

They got down there with their bomb and suddenly the consequences of what they were about to do hit almost the entire group like a ton of bricks. They had a half hour debate on what they should do while I just sat back and watched them squirm.

SO FUN
That sounds awesome.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
Ant-Man and Wasp
Hawkkate
Cloak and Dagger
Guardians without Bendis
Nova with Sam and Rich
New Runaways

Those two should be the same book just like in the SW tie-in.

Marvel Comics feel like Cable TV shows, almost all of the seasons feel connected yet, loose and limited after the season is done and they jump to the season after..

They feel more like network shows than cable shows to me. Mostly low quality trash written for the lowest common denominator,

Sandfox

Those two should be the same book just like in the SW tie-in.

They feel more like network shows than cable shows to me. Mostly low quality trash written for the lowest common denominator,

Tell us how you really feel lol.

Also, main universe Cloak and Dagger in Runaways makes zero sense.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
I'm up to ASM #6 and I don't remember them in the first arc. Can't have been that memorable. Could easily be ignored to put them in the Runaways.

Top Bottom