• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| July 2016. Everyone Loves A Hero, Everyone Loves You

Picked up everything I was missing to complete my runs on Saga, East of West, Low, Tokyo Ghost, Black Science, and Velvet. Also picked up everything Nightwing and Grayson.

$77. Mistakes were made. Spent another $42 yesterday for the rest of Invincible, Paper Girls, and Deadly Class. Time to take a page out of the Trump playback and file for bankruptcy.

Messi

I held the Deadly Class OHC today. Holy shit that book is a beast. So much content. It is bigger than the Saga OHC. Its prob the same size as the awesome East of West OHC.

If I had a way to send a question to Alonso for the next time he's on CBR it would be "Will you be ignoring the critically panned Original Sin tie-in from Bendis which was the last time Richard Rider was seen in a comic? You have an out since Bendis never got his name right so you could say it wasn't the true Richard."

TheFlow

Banned
That's gorgeous.

yea I love it. even comes with a sewn in bookmark.

Do eeet. Only the better/more popular runs get Absolutes anyway.
I am going to

I held the Deadly Class OHC today. Holy shit that book is a beast. So much content. It is bigger than the Saga OHC. Its prob the same size as the awesome East of West OHC.
yea the deadly class book has 6-7 more issues more than Saga. I am glad to know the quality turned out great

Sandfox

If I had a way to send a question to Alonso for the next time he's on CBR it would be "Will you be ignoring the critically panned Original Sin tie-in from Bendis which was the last time Richard Rider was seen in a comic?"

It would be pretty hard to ignore that event considering what happened as a result of it lol.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
My first absolute and I am fucking impressed. So tempted to start collecting Absolutes.

that looks awesome. I might have to get that since Preacher is my favorite comic ever. Price?

It would be pretty hard to ignore that event considering what happened as a result of it lol.
Not really. So much that happened in those issues were OOC for everything from characters to how the Cancerverse worked. Could just say Thanos managed to open a way home somehow only for Nova to be knocked out when he tried to stop him from leaving and Quill just grabbed Drax and left with his heart full of guilt before the gateway closed.

TheFlow

Banned
The problem with Absolutes is that DC doesn't have anything new worth putting into the format...

I mean they have Trans, y the last man, and preacher all getting 3 books. Then Batman year one. We just had court of owls.

Swamp thing by alan moore is only a matter of time.

Then they can just reprint some of their deluxe books into absolutes too like 100 bullets,

Messi

yea I love it. even comes with a sewn in bookmark.

I am going to

yea the deadly class book has 6-7 more issues more than Saga. I am glad to know the quality turned out great

No it doesn't Saga has one more issue. Saga is the first 18 issues, Deadly Class is the first 17. Deadly Class must be loaded with bonus stuff.

I mean they have Trans, y the last man, and preacher all getting 3 books. Then Batman year one. We just had court of owls.

Swamp thing by alan moore is only a matter of time.

Then they can just reprint some of their deluxe books into absolutes too like 100 bullets,

Okay, wait until the novelty wears off before you start mainlining Absolutes. They're nice books, no question. But how many of those series do you really need to own in that format? Comparatively few. Alan Moore's Top 10 is worth grabbing though, if it's still around.

TheFlow

Banned
No it doesn't Saga has one more issue. Saga is the first 18 issues, Deadly Class is the first 17. Deadly Class must be loaded with bonus stuff.

Ohhh I think I got it confused with East by west! my bad

Okay, wait until the novelty wears off before you start mainlining Absolutes. They're nice books, no question. But how many of those series do you really need to own in that format? Comparatively few. Alan Moore's Top 10 is worth grabbing though, if it's still around.
I believe you. not every book needs an absolute or even an omnibus.

VanWinkle

So tempted to start collecting Absolutes.

You should. Would be something you wouldn't have to buy very often and it's pretty much the nicest format there is.

The problem with Absolutes is that DC doesn't have anything new worth putting into the format...

Dude that's not true at all. There's plenty of stuff that's great and with amazing art that I would love to see in Absolute form.

Man, now I want a Gotham Academy absolute. That art in that size...oh my goodness.

Boogiepop

Man, poor Kabuki couldn't even get the 50% on IST for Library Edition 3. But yeah, with that release, my swearing off of ordering physical comics has come to close, since I was waiting on that one! Obviously grabbing that, and then there are a few more things that have built up in the meantime...

BTW, read They're Not Like Us volume 1 and I really enjoyed it. I was a bit disappointed at first that it also inherited X-men's quirk of being waaaaay too telepath focused, but it works well here at least because of the type of story. (Seriously though, waaaaaaaay too many telepathic mutants, and it's just such an eh power. I mean, sure you can do telepathic mindscape battles or whatever to force in some crazy visuals, but at least when they're not fighting other telepaths it's either an instant win or "oh, they have telepathic blockers".)

Edit: Sandman Mystery Theater should be great, right? That's sitting on my wishlist of stuff I'm considering ordering right now...

Messi

Ohhh I think I got it confused with East by west! my bad

I believe you. not every book needs an absolute or even an omnibus.

East of West is even less m8. Lots of pages in those issues though. 1-15. :p I don't think image does hardcovers with 25 issues very often.

TheFlow

Banned
East of West is even less m8. Lots of pages in those issues though. 1-15. :p I don't think image does hardcovers with 25 issues very often.
Damn my numbers are al off these books my bad. I don't know what book I was looking at that had 1-11 issue. Oh well.

Can you believe we won't get saga deluxe 2 till next year!

Messi

I made an IST order:

Harley Quinns Greatest Hits TP
Monstress Vol 1
Descender Vol 1
Descender Vol 2
Wonder Woman by Rucka Vol 1 (I have never read this and hope I enjoy it as I love Rucka :/)
Sheriff of Babylon Vol 1
Bombshells Vol 2 (Super excited for this as I haven't read it)

--

Saga OHC not coming out till next year makes sense I suppose. The TPs are a sales juggernaut and I doubt they wanna fuck with that.

Boogiepop

Edit: Sandman Mystery Theater should be great, right? That's sitting on my wishlist of stuff I'm considering ordering right now...

Ah, right, in addition to this question...

Of the DC stuff on Comixology sale right now... Grayson was supposed to be awesome, but that doesn't extend back to the Nightwing series, right? And is Sinestro any good?

This special in the Hip Hop Family Tree box set is amazing.

YpiAcBq.jpg

How many of your favourite artists have their own jeans commercial?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hDdW08NzPQU

Really enjoying this interview too - Stan Lee is a pretty good interviewer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ry3hBVvfQ9w

There's still a lot of old stuff to put into Absolutes. I would definitely double dip for Doom Patrol.

Yes! It is amazing! Zombine started it for the first time recently too and will vouch for it also.

Messi

East of West is the best Image OHC, IMO. So beautiful, in construction, build materials, and art.

Deadly Class also ticks all of these boxes. I believe from a quick look at it that the same kind of binding and build quality as East of West has been used.

VanWinkle

So black science was the one with the being problems and east of west wasn't?

I keep getting their book quality mixed up

Yup. East of West was perfect.

Deadly Class also ticks all of these boxes. I believe from a quick look at it that the same kind of binding and build quality as East of West has been used.

That's awesome. I think Deadly class also has a bigger trim size (closer to Absolute edition), but I could be wrong on that. Haven't seen it in person.

Top Bottom