• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| July 2016. Everyone Loves A Hero, Everyone Loves You

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
I made an IST order:

Harley Quinns Greatest Hits TP
Monstress Vol 1
Descender Vol 1
Descender Vol 2
Wonder Woman by Rucka Vol 1 (I have never read this and hope I enjoy it as I love Rucka :/)
Sheriff of Babylon Vol 1
Bombshells Vol 2 (Super excited for this as I haven't read.

Yay for Monstress!

VanWinkle

Ah man, this is a shame. Gary Frank said on Twttier that DC cancelled his Graphic Ink book. :( Posted the wraparound that was intended to be the cover, too.

CnJdMIYWIAAk55-.jpg:large

I was actually really looking forward to it, since I haven't read anything he's done on DC outside of Batman Earth One and Shazam.

TheFlow

Banned
This special in the Hip Hop Family Tree box set is amazing.

How many of your favourite artists have their own jeans commercial?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hDdW08NzPQU

Really enjoying this interview too - Stan Lee is a pretty good interviewer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ry3hBVvfQ9w

There's still a lot of old stuff to put into Absolutes. I would definitely double dip for Doom Patrol.

Yes! It is amazing! Zombine started it for the first time recently too and will vouch for it also.
Doom patrol is another good one.

Ah man, this is a shame. Gary Frank said on Twttier that DC cancelled his Graphic Ink book. :( Posted the wraparound that was intended to be the cover, too.

CnJdMIYWIAAk55-.jpg:large

I was actually really looking forward to it, since I haven't read anything he's done on DC outside of Batman Earth One and Shazam.

That's a shame, I really like Frank's art style, def one of the top modern dc artists.

People on Twitter were bitching about LGBT representation literally two books into the current wave of announcements, which I think is pretty ridiculous, but what's more ridiculous is that everything has leaked now and there's still no prominent LGBT book.

That's a bad look. Prowler and Solo have books, and it's blindingly obvious that those will be cancelled immediately. There are people out there saying an America Chavez book would be important to them. Who is Prowler important to?

I'm a straight white man in my 30s, so Marvel has always spoken to me, but it's gotten to the point where I'm getting frustrated on behalf of others. Marvel has willfully ignored a vocal group of fans that need to heard for so long that it makes me wonder if there's active homophobia going on here and not just editors being out of touch.

People on Twitter were bitching about LGBT representation literally two books into the current wave of announcements, which I think is pretty ridiculous, but what's more ridiculous is that everything has leaked now and there's still no prominent LGBT book.

That's a bad look. Prowler and Solo have books, and it's blindingly obvious that those will be cancelled immediately. There are people out there saying an America Chavez book would be important to them. Who is Prowler important to?

I'm a straight white man in my 30s, so Marvel has always spoken to me, but it's gotten to the point where I'm getting frustrated on behalf of others. Marvel has willfully ignored a vocal group of fans that need to heard for so long that it makes me wonder if there's active homophobia going on here and not just editors being out of touch.
Alonso is EiC. We all know what he said and refused to say about Angela and Sera.

Messi

I actually don't. Have a link?

I haven't read CBR's EIC columns since it was Quesada.

The issue also confirmed the romantic relationship between Angela and Sera, something that had been speculated about by fans. So is it accurate to say that Angela is the first gay or bisexual lead character in the All-New, All-Different Marvel era?

Alonso: That's a question for readers to ponder and answer for themselves. We're not looking to put labels on the character or the series. We'd prefer that the story Marguerite, Kim and Stephanie are telling -- all aspects of it -- speak for itself.

http://www.comicbookresources.com/a...gela-to-hel-entering-x-mens-extraordinary-era

Messi

Its sad because Margurite Bennett was doing great work pushing Angela forward and giving her a purpose and then you see something like that quote and you can just feel the pushback she was getting from them. She tweeted something to the effect that she was never allowed to explicitly say they were gay and so on so forth.

Its sad because Margurite Bennett was doing great work pushing Angela forward and giving her a purpose and then you see something like that quote and you can just feel the pushback she was getting from them. She tweeted something to the effect that she was never allowed to explicitly say they were gay and so on so forth.

That's so fucking dumb. So. Fucking. Dumb. You'd have to be a god damn moron to read any single issue of that book and come away with any other conclusion.

You'd also have to be a god damn moron to take both of the major ANAD gay couples off the map for this new wave of books without expanding your roster of LGBT characters. Yet here we are.

I dunno guys. I'm trying to hold out hope we just don't know everything yet but...it's really sad. It's really fucking sad.

Sandfox

I mean who else is there in the confirmed rosters. Is it really JUST Ms. America now or am I forgetting someone?
Based on the characters I know there's also:

Pod
Flatman
Angela

There's also Iceman on both EXM and ANXM, but those books aren't conisdered a part of Marvel Now

I guess there's always the Icemen but we don't know what the hell is going on with the X-Men and they really haven't done nearly as much with that as they said they were going to anyway.

edit: Oh right I forgot about Pod.

Gorgeous cover. Though I'll be the first to say I'm not a huge fan of the Graphic Ink series. I much prefer things closer to actual artbooks, like Cover Run: The DC Comics Art of Adam Hughes.

They're never going to have a gay character in the movies if the source material they're drawing from can't do better than fucking Flatman and Pod.

I read comics almost every day and I don't know who or what Pod is.

Sandfox

They're never going to have a gay character in the movies if the source material they're drawing from can't do better than fucking Flatman and Pod.

I read comics almost every day and I don't know who or what Pod is.

Pod was created during the Hickman Avengers and is now used the Ewing Avengers books.

Marvel has more notable gay characters, but I wouldn't expect to see them in the movies anytime soon unless either the comics or Feige decide to have some bigger characters that they can actually use come out. I'm not even sure they can do Young Avengers.

Pod was created during the Hickman Avengers and is now used the Ewing Avengers books.

Marvel has more notable gay characters, but I wouldn't expect to see them in the movies anytime soon unless either the comics or Feige decide to have some bigger characters that they can actually use come out unless a YA movie is on the table.
A YA movie would be huge.

I don't know if that title would work. If you just add "Teen" or "Young" in front of your existing giant brand, it sounds desperate and out of touch.

So let's see.

Billy & Teddy: Presumably sidelined. WTF
Icemen: MIA
Angela: Will probably be a supporting cast member for Mighty Thor. Sera? HA HA not likely. Maybe she'll pop up in one scene.
Ms. America: Team book character.
Pod: Team book character. Should be called Post because that's the extent of her personality
Flatman: Joke character on a team book whose power is literally that he is two-dimensional

Solo books starring LGBT characters: ummmm??

I'm still holding out hope that at least one of the new characters will be revealed to be LGBT. And I still firmly believe that Hercules will embrace his bisexuality again.

It's not enough.

Sandfox

A YA movie would be huge.

I don't know if that title would work. If you just add "Teen" or "Young" in front of your existing giant brand, it sounds desperate and out of touch.

I don't know if they can use Hulkling and I know for a fact that they can't use Kang, which might affect Iron Lad.

So let's see.

Billy & Teddy: Presumably sidelined. WTF
Icemen: MIA
Angela: Will probably be a supporting cast member for Mighty Thor. Sera? HA HA not likely. Maybe she'll pop up in one scene.
Ms. America: Team book character.
Pod: Team book character. Should be called Post because that's the extent of her personality
Flatman: Joke character on a team book whose power is literally that he is two-dimensional

Solo books starring LGBT characters: ummmm??

I'm still holding out hope that at least one of the new characters will be revealed to be LGBT. And I still firmly believe that Hercules will embrace his bisexuality again.

It's not enough.

The X books are continuing and Angela is returing to the Guardians tomorrow.

BrightLightLava

Unconfirmed Member
I don't know if they can use Hulkling and I know for a fact that they can't use Kang, which might affect Iron Lad.

James Gunn said that Skrulls have the same weird shared custody thing that Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver had, and I know they can use Kree. Teddy may be fine.

I think the Billy/Scarlet Witch backstory weirdness is a bigger thing keeping the movie from happening anytime soon.

I actually need to catch up on YA stuff.

I have the original run, the YA Presents series, and The Children's Crusade.

Was there anything big after those before the Gillen/McKevie run?

I think the Billy/Scarlet Witch backstory weirdness is a bigger thing keeping the movie from happening anytime soon.

Yeah that is going to be really hard to do unless they completely change the character's origin

Of course we'd also have to just pretend he doesn't have a twin brother because Speed is dumb

I actually need to catch up on YA stuff.

I have the original run, the YA Presents series, and The Children's Crusade.

Was there anything big after those before the Gillen/McKevie run?

No I think that's everything. Series 1 ==> YA Presents ==> Children's Crusade ==> Series 2

James Gunn said that Skrulls have the same weird shared custody thing that Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver had, and I know they can use Kree. Teddy may be fine.

A lot of that stuff can be changed, like Tony Stark creating Ultron.

I made an IST order:

Harley Quinns Greatest Hits TP
Monstress Vol 1
Descender Vol 1
Descender Vol 2
Wonder Woman by Rucka Vol 1 (I have never read this and hope I enjoy it as I love Rucka :/)
Sheriff of Babylon Vol 1
Bombshells Vol 2 (Super excited for this as I haven't read it)

--

Saga OHC not coming out till next year makes sense I suppose. The TPs are a sales juggernaut and I doubt they wanna fuck with that.
Where is Kabuki in This list? Looks like you have a typo there.

Also WW by Rucka is amazing

Top Bottom