• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| July 2016. Everyone Loves A Hero, Everyone Loves You

BrightLightLava

Unconfirmed Member
A lot of that stuff can be changed, like Tony Stark creating Ultron.

True, but it would be a shame. I love the completely batshit comicbookyness of it Billy and Tommy's backstory. Robot and his wife have babies (that the wife created with magic) and then a demon steals their souls and they get implanted on other children? That's good stuff.

True, but it would be a shame. I love the completely batshit comicbookyness of it Billy and Tommy's backstory. Robot and his wife have babies (that the wife created with magic) and then a demon steals their souls and they get implanted on other children? That's good stuff.
Movies don't have time for that kind of stuff. That works for comics where it has room to breathe.

People on Twitter were bitching about LGBT representation literally two books into the current wave of announcements, which I think is pretty ridiculous, but what's more ridiculous is that everything has leaked now and there's still no prominent LGBT book.

That's a bad look. Prowler and Solo have books, and it's blindingly obvious that those will be cancelled immediately. There are people out there saying an America Chavez book would be important to them. Who is Prowler important to?

I'm a straight white man in my 30s, so Marvel has always spoken to me, but it's gotten to the point where I'm getting frustrated on behalf of others. Marvel has willfully ignored a vocal group of fans that need to heard for so long that it makes me wonder if there's active homophobia going on here and not just editors being out of touch.

Not that I disagree with you, butyou constantly have comic book readers, especially on CBR and Reddit, complaining about "legacy heroes" claiming up and down that they'd support an original minority character so Prowler would be their chance to put their money where their mouths are.

Sandfox

Dick's days are numbered. Didio's been gunning for him for a long, long time.

I don't really understand what DC has been doing with Dick despite his books being well written.

Not that I disagree with you, butyou constantly have comic book readers, especially on CBR and Reddit, complaining about "legacy heroes" claiming up and down that they'd support an original minority character so Prowler would be their chance to put their money where their mouths are.
Those same people will call that new hero's book unappealing and won't try it.

Dick's days are numbered. Didio's been gunning for him for a long, long time.

remember his original pitch for Infinite Crisis 2 where Dick Grayson was supposed to go down a dark path and emerge as Batman's greatest nemesis

dan-didio-crisisii.jpg

He did dissolve the Lois and Clark marriage with Nu52, so I mean anything is possible

Those same people will call that new hero's book unappealing and won't try it.

In fairness to those people, the creative team on Prowler isn't anywhere near as interesting or exciting as the creative on the merc books.

If that was the next Warren Ellis character revival, for instance, people would buy it (though I'm sure he gets to be a little choosy)

Sandfox

In fairness to those people, the creative team on Prowler isn't anywhere near as interesting or exciting as the creative on the merc books.

If that was the next Warren Ellis character revival, for instance, people would buy it (though I'm sure he gets to be a little choosy)

I was talking about minority characters in general.

mreddie

Its sad because Margurite Bennett was doing great work pushing Angela forward and giving her a purpose and then you see something like that quote and you can just feel the pushback she was getting from them. She tweeted something to the effect that she was never allowed to explicitly say they were gay and so on so forth.

IT WON A GLAAD AWARD!

So I needed to add something more to fill out my IST order. So I decided to listen to JC's recommendation.

BERSERK TP VOL 34
BERSERK TP VOL 37
KABUKI LIBRARY HC VOL 03
TALES OF THE BATMAN ALAN BRENNERT HC

Sandfox

CWII #3 pics floating around on tumblr(like here for instance if you don't care about spoilers).

The "surprise" death is
of course Bruce Banner by Hawkeye because Bendis sucks at hiding stuff and loves making Clint the "killer" avenger in everything he does.

I'm going to bed now. Have fun while Europe sleeps!

I like how everyone is acting all smug over this when Clint and Banner was like their third guess months after we found out someone was going to die.

Uh. I'm pretty sure Hawkeye is the one who always bites it in Bendis events. Like, it's become a running gag to this point.
Yes, but he ALSO loves having Clint be the first one to come up with plans that involves killing, the one who asks if he should take out the villain while he's talking etc. In his mind Clint and Wolverine are the avengers who're on the team to do the hard choices when no one else can or are willing. With Wolverine that makes sense and was even the reason Warlock had him and Hulk on the Infinity Gauntlet team way back but with Clint it's only Bendis that treats him that way.

Uncanny X-men #1 was...ok. Just a setup issue but I like the idea. Land's art wasnt terrible or anything, it hust has that Land-stink to it, particulary the faces (Monet espevially). I liked the look of the villains at the end. So do we even know why Warren is brain-dead, was that a pre-SW thing? Last I remember from him was he was normal Angel with no memories?
It's a knockoff of Remender's UXF with worse writing and Land's art for the first arc. Lashley takes over for the second arc, which makes the book significantly more enjoyable, but it's still a poor knockoff with stupid continuity gaps and changes that I, personally, think are poorly implemented.

It's easily the worst X-book
so, hey, Geoff Johns is co-writing the Wonder Woman movie with Allan Heinberg, that's new

http://www.businesswire.com/news/ho...arner-Bros.-Pictures-Brings-Heroes-Magic-Myth
But isn't it already in the production phase?
"LOCKJAW AND BLACKBOLT DON'T NEED LETTERERS"?!

noice-ranking-key-peele-s-15-best-sketches-that-s-my-shiiiiiiiiii-897983.gif

Has Kurtis Wiebe actually found someone new for Rat Queens?? This seems to be a test?

Her other art:
Oh wow. That looks super awesome. I'd need to see interiors, but I already like it better than Tess Fowler.
AXEL

vernon-empire-shut-mouth.gif

I guess there's always the Icemen but we don't know what the hell is going on with the X-Men and they really haven't done nearly as much with that as they said they were going to anyway.

edit: Oh right I forgot about Pod.
Iceman is still boring as fuck. Golly gee, who knew that making a character gay didn't automatically make them interesting?
"The “main” Dick Grayson has somehow never been killed off before, despite Dan Didio specifically wanting to kill him off in Infinite Crisis"

fuck dan didio
Well he did get Bludhaven nuked
remember his original pitch for Infinite Crisis 2 where Dick Grayson was supposed to go down a dark path and emerge as Batman's greatest nemesis

dan-didio-crisisii.jpg
Oh fuck that. Dick is a cool character because he's better. He's evolved into someone who isn't a hero out of pain and anguish, but out if a desire to do good. Making him Batman's darkest and greatest nemesis is full on character assassination.

Fuck DiDio

I assume Johns kept it from happening. Same in Forever Evil. Dude loves his legacies.

Top Bottom