• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| July 2016. Everyone Loves A Hero, Everyone Loves You

PsychBat!

Banned
Ariel ultimately doesn't learn a thing when you think about it. She gets her man and that's it.

It's beautifully animated though. And the songs are great.

"Condescending" is a little much

Lol I think I wrote the most condescending sentence in human history.

Lmao but seriously CWII is so good why do you think it's boring?

Can I just say how much I hate the culture of people who just continually read spoilers for comics just to bitch about them and tear them down, without ever actually reading any comics?

I shouldn't look at comic threads in OT.

PsychBat!

Banned

Carol and Medusa talking. Tony Stark taking Ulysses and nothing coming out of it. (just small parts honestly, the rest is the real reason) The story and the art isn't boring. It's Bendis. I can't put my finger on it. But it feels like he takes characters that he doesn't do ongoings on for granted. "Here let me take this character you're writing and watch me do something completely drastic". And while he's done this several times and it makes me angry, I've gotten so used to it that my only response now is "that's it?" I hope that makes sense.

Can I just say how much I hate the culture of people who just continually read spoilers for comics just to bitch about them and tear them down, without ever actually reading any comics?

I shouldn't look at comic threads in OT.
We stopped doing that a while ago. Now some of us just look at them due to our morbid curiosity.

Carol and Medusa talking. Tony Stark taking Ulysses and nothing coming out of it. The story and the art isn't boring. It's Bendis. I can't put my finger on it. But it feels like he takes characters that he doesn't do ongoings on for granted. "Here let me take this character you're writing and watch me do something completely drastic". And while he's done this several times and it makes me angry, I've gotten so used to it that my only response now is "that's it?" I hope that makes sense.

I think if you ascribe ownership of any Marvel charac to anyone besides Ike Perlmutter you're cruising for disappointment.

And "drastic" is so temporary in Marvel that it rarely bothers me. All I think is, "does this make a good and interesting story?"

So far CW II is totally that. 3 just makes it an even more fascinating argument between the camps. If you read it just as spoilers, I could see it being disappointing, I guess.

Speaking of disappointing, somehow the the lettering in Wonder Woman has gotten worse.

Civil War II #2 was definitely a boring issue. #3 is much better.

Civil War II on the whole has been a weird event so far. Rhodey's death was a mess. I see what Bendis means when he says there needs to be a significant reason for these smart people to go down this road again, and Rhodey was perfectly positioned to be a death that would have a huge impact on both Tony and Carol. But then nothing came of that. The story hasn't made me feel the impact of that death on either character.

But it also didn't make me feel the impact as a reader either, because it's all happened in such a weird way. Rhodey died in the FCBD issue, which came out before anything else, and that book was set in the middle of Civil War II #1. You get about halfway through #1, then you get a "three weeks later" caption, and that's when it shifts over and deals with the fallout of the FCBD issue. That nonlinear way that parts of the story are handled not only adds nothing, and actually takes away some of the impact. There are places in #1 where I think I'm supposed to have felt something more, but instead was distracted by thinking "oh, okay, this is after the FCBD issue now" and wondering why they broke it up the way they did. You expect big shocks in the first issue of an event, so yeah, there are limits to how shocking they can really be, but that's doubly true when the big shocks of your first issue are really the same shocks from a different issue released a month prior, with the only addition in #1 being the reaction from other characters, and a confirmation that yes, what was previously implied in the FCBD issue was true.

Ideas have no value if they're not executed well, and now we're in a situation where this valuable character is dead for no reason. Everything Bendis said about why it made sense for Rhodey to die here is meaningless because it didn't hit in the telling of the story.

The She-Hulk situation was all weird too, with them showing her flatlining, but then later you find out that she's actually not dead. This was communicated so poorly that some people still think she's dead. And whether she's dead or alive, they haven't done anything to mine her situation for drama in the story. They just tell you that something happened and then move on.

But again, all that said, Civil War II #3 is very good. Big improvement over the Rhodey situation.

Ariel ultimately doesn't learn a thing when you think about it. She gets her man and that's it.

It's beautifully animated though. And the songs are great.
And that's why it gets a pass.

I want to get a shirt that says "Flounder was right."

I just have a hard time being invested in the conflict. Mostly Tony's side, because it seems like he's more mad at Carol for being underprepared going against Thanos, which really doesn't have anything to do with Ulysses. That's just a him vs Carol thing on a deeply personal level. The tie-ins feel like they've done a much better job with Ulysses than the actual event. Maybe this issue will turn me around, since I've already seen some positive posts.

And I like Bendis as a writer, so there's that.

PsychBat!

Banned
I think if you ascribe ownership of any Marvel charac to anyone besides Ike Perlmutter you're cruising for disappointment.

And "drastic" is so temporary in Marvel that it rarely bothers me. All I think is, "does this make a good and interesting story?"

So far CW II is totally that. 3 just makes it an even more fascinating argument between the camps. If you read it just as spoilers, I could see it being disappointing, I guess.

Speaking of disappointing, somehow the the lettering in Wonder Woman has gotten worse.

It's not entirely that, I feel that it's unfair to any other writer that had plans with a character to suddenly just change and have a new status quo, it doesn't necessarily mean that the character Bendis decides to write dies is what I'm saying. Sometimes Bendis creates a potential arc for a character he writes during an event and afterwards he sometimes abandons it. And it's gotten way past the point where other writers have had to pick up the slack with varying degrees of success.

And I understand your point about whether or not this plot point would make a good or interesting story, I agree with it. But I look beyond that as well and think, how will this impact future titles before they somehow undo what was done and whether it had a purpose at all.

I think I should just stick to gifs.

Decompress Your Vows.

Okay, people keep using "decompress" or some variation of it as a major adjective to describe Bendis and what he does. I feel like it gets brought up way too damn much to the point where it's overused.

Now, I know what the word means on its own, but what does it mean in relation to writing? Specifically Bendis' writing.

PsychBat!

Banned
I'm sleepy and kind of hungry.

It's late and the only places I know are open are McDonalds, Taco Bell and Jack in the Box. Oh and Carl's Jr too. So basically just burgers or fake mexican food. Where should I go?

EDIT: nvm, i'm more sleepy than anything, good night gaf.

Sandfox

It's not entirely that, I feel that it's unfair to any other writer that had plans with a character to suddenly just change and have a new status quo, it doesn't necessarily mean that the character Bendis decides to write dies is what I'm saying. Sometimes Bendis creates a potential arc for a character he writes during an event and afterwards he sometimes abandons it. And it's gotten way past the point where other writers have had to pick up the slack with varying degrees of success.

And I understand your point about whether or not this plot point would make a good or interesting story, I agree with it. But I look beyond that as well and think, how will this impact future titles before they somehow undo what was done and whether it had a purpose at all.

I think I should just stick to gifs.
I agree with this, but in the context of CW2 it actually seems like the event is going to leave things either the same or in a better place outside of Tony and Rhodey(who I think rarely gets used anymore) lol unless I'm forgetting something.

Okay, people keep using "decompress" or some variation of it as a major adjective to describe Bendis and what he does. I feel like it gets brought up way too damn much to the point where it's overused.

Now, I know what the word means on its own, but what does it mean in relation to writing? Specifically Bendis' writing.
It means he takes way more issues to tell a story than is necessary. It's padded out or stretched out. You have too many issues where you feel like nothing progressed forward in any meaningful way, leaving you to wonder why every arc needs six issues when some can hardly justify three.

The ultimate example of decompression is the Dragon Ball Z anime.

It means he takes way more issues to tell a story than is necessary. It's padded out or stretched out. You have too many issues where you feel like nothing progressed forward in any meaningful way, leaving you to wonder why every arc needs six issues when some can hardly justify three.

The ultimate example of decompression is the Dragon Ball Z anime.
Thank you. It just means very filler-y and padded out.

An example from Bendis's work is how Invincible Iron Man introduced the new Doom in issue one and that plot thread has not moved forward one inch in 11 issues. Any time Doom has showed up, it's been to reiterate that he seems nice and helpful now, but we know nothing new and substantial about what he's up to or what his motivations might be. A person who dropped the book at #2 knows as much about that plot as people who are current. Ditto with Madame Masque. Still no clue what she's up to. And it's not that those subplots haven't been wrapped up, it's that they haven't even moved to chapter two yet.

An example from Bendis's work is how Invincible Iron Man introduced the new Doom in issue one and that plot thread has not moved forward one inch in 11 issues. Any time Doom has showed up, it's been to reiterate that he seems nice and helpful now, but we know nothing new and substantial about what he's up to or what his motivations might be. A person who dropped the book at #2 knows as much about that plot as people who are current. Ditto with Madame Masque. Still no clue what she's up to. And it's not that those subplots haven't been wrapped up, it's that they haven't even moved to chapter two yet.
Also the heroes hanging out in the Savage Land for too many issues in Secret Invasion, too much time travel that meant nothing in AoU and the guardians have been back to Earth or stuck in prison so much that it isn't surprising that Bendis is having them all stay on Earth and putting Quill and Rocket in prison for Now! 2.0 after the start of ANAD was them pretty much repeating their SW series.

Sandfox

Decompress Your Vows.

He's doing decent with Miles right now in that regard since it seems like he's avoiding long story arcs atm.

Also the heroes hanging out in the Savage Land for too many issues in Secret Invasion, too much time travel that meant nothing in AoU and the guardians have been back to Earth or stuck in prison so much that it isn't surprising that Bendis is having them all stay on Earth and putting Quill and Rocket in prison for Now! 2.0 after the start of ANAD was them pretty much repeating their SW series.
I doubt that's on him since those stories probably won't affect his Guardians book.

Nighthawk #2
I like this book, but all I can think of while reading it is, "I wish the art was different."

Captain America: Sam Wilson #11
tumblr_lyy6rnFJTc1qkx3d4o2_250.gif

Sandfox

It's funny how I was complaining about Cosmic Marvel over the weekend and now we have a bunch of improvements improvements coming. Marvel Now has so far hit pretty much every area I wanted in terms of books except a Ms. America series(and more LGBT representation) and hopefully that will come.

It's funny how I was complaining about Cosmic Marvel over the weekend and now we have a bunch of improvements improvements coming. Marvel Now has so far hit pretty much every area I wanted in terms of books except a Ms. America series(and more LGBT representation) and hopefully that will come.
Of course both the improvements looks unlikely to become reality for another 6 or so months. I'm guessing the Nova creative team will be announced as part of the hype tour for the movie(maybe when the trailer drops?) and Bendis likely won't actually be off the book until after the next summer event. It's a start at least!

Edit: Btw, Captain Marvel doesn't start until January.

It's gonna be Charles Soule and whoever they have doing one of the cancelled c-tier spider books

That reminds me, since we now know the creative teams for all books coming this Fall+Spring(probably still one or two more books being announced for that since it's far off and Death of X and Clone Conspiracy will be over), what writers aren't there? We had a bunch of books that got cancelled.

Sandfox

Of course both the improvements looks unlikely to become reality for another 6 or so months. I'm guessing the Nova creative team will be announced as part of the hype tour for the movie(maybe when the trailer drops?) and Bendis likely won't actually be off the book until after the next summer event. It's a start at least!

Edit: Btw, Captain Marvel doesn't start until January.

While the books will be on earth for a while we're also getting Star-Lord and Rocket Raccoon in addition to Gamora and Thanos to go along with the continuing Silver Surfer.

Zombine

Banned
They're not going to give Guardians to anyone who you may think is exciting. This is post Secret Wars Marvel.

You're all going to get Brian Wood. And honestly, at this point Wood is looking like premium talent.

Mindwipe

They're not going to give Guardians to anyone who you may think is exciting. This is post Secret Wars Marvel.

You're all going to get Brian Wood. And honestly, at this point Wood is looking like premium talent.

Watch them bring back Richard Ryder Nova and give it to Bendis just to watch the internet burn.

Zombine

Banned
I like Bendis a lot, but to get excited over him leaving in the ANAD era is scary. You just don't know what jobber team they'll pick.

Watch Ramos pick up another job

in 2016

I will never forget how anticlimactic all three of Brian Wood's arcs on the all-female X-Men book ended up. Especially the second one. What a mediocre ending.

Zombine

Banned
I will never forget how anticlimactic all three of Brian Wood's arcs on the all-female X-Men book ended up. Especially the second one. What a mediocre ending.

I hung onto that book for dear life. Truth is that it's shit, and somehow Wilson was worse.

Wood is a Dark Horse guy now so you can rest easy.

I like Bendis a lot, but to get excited over him leaving in the ANAD era is scary. You just don't know what jobber team they'll pick.

Watch Ramos pick up another job

in 2016

Yup. Watching bros bag on Bendis for a Marvel book in 2016, with the brain drain in full and inexorable force is more entertaining than most prime time television.

It's like living that Jennifer Lawrence "Okay" gif for your entire life.

Top Bottom