• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| July 2016. Everyone Loves A Hero, Everyone Loves You

I think somebody saw that Didio pitch about Dick Grayson going down a dark path and becoming Batman's greatest nemesis, and after a stream of "Dude...no", Judd Winnick picked up that ball later like "Wait...there are other Robins we can ruin..."

Red Hood feels like a lost character from like Youngblood or some other 90s Rob Liefeld Image garbage. "Bro! What if we took a Batman like character and gave him guns and let him kill people and be EXXXXTREME! It'd be fucking EPIC bros!"

I'll never forget the dude in one of the Injustice threads who said Red Hood was his favorite character because he could relate to him. I don't remember who that poster was but I hope I'm never stuck in an elevator or something with them.
There's got to be more Red Hood comics and appearances than Desthstrokes at this point. He is THE anti-hero for DC.

Got to love how the BBC have an article on Civil War 3 with the spoiler in the headline. Bit inconsiderate to those who haven't even read it. It's not even been out a day.

Busaiku

Oh snap, Veronica Fish doing Spider-Woman is definitely ok with me.
I liked Mr. Rodriguez, but Ms. Fish is even better.

But...what will happen with Archie now..?

dan2026

I thought when Jason first came back and was a bastard villain and a genuine moral quandary for Bruce he was pretty good.

Then he stuck around

And around

And around....

Got to love how the BBC have an article on Civil War 3 with the spoiler in the headline. Bit inconsiderate to those who haven't even read it. It's not even been out a day.

It's everywhere now. I think New York Daily News were the first with a headline spoiler.

I pretty much noped off the internet last night when it started to surface and made reading the issue my first priority when I got up today, this ain't my first rodeo. Still sucks though.

BrightLightLava

Unconfirmed Member
Oh snap, Veronica Fish doing Spider-Woman is definitely ok with me.
I liked Mr. Rodriguez, but Ms. Fish is even better.

But...what will happen with Archie now..?

There's a variant artist that's going to fill in for a while, and they're looking for a bigger name. According to bleedingcool, at least.

Owzers

enjoy your good comics, i'm fine, i read Extraordinary X-Men #5, totally a comic and does not make me think comics are a mistake at all.

Zombine

Banned
WOW!

NUPERMAN WAS AMAZING!

What a dickhead! Really fun take on an origin story.

It even has its own
bootleg Justice League

Robert-Cop-Bootleg-7.jpg

It's everywhere now. I think New York Daily News were the first with a headline spoiler.

I pretty much noped off the internet last night when it started to surface and made reading the issue my first priority when I got up today, this ain't my first rodeo. Still sucks though.
I woke up at 3am to read it as soon as it was available digitally and then went back to bed. Can't trust the Internet.

Zombine

Banned
Toldja that book was great

I felt like
Kong's origin was fantastic because he is initially painted as a bully, yet as the story goes on you find out that his behavior stems from the death of his mother, and a stern father who disapproves of his son's actions. Kong is cocky and not particularly...heroic. This isn't your typical altruistic underdog who can finally realize his emotional strength with a physical manifestation of it, but instead it's a kid who is rough around the edges who needs to learn the true meaning of the word "superhero."

It's very different.

VanWinkle

I felt like
Kong's origin was fantastic because he is initially painted as a bully, yet as the story goes on you find out that his behavior stems from the death of his mother, and a stern father who disapproves of his son's actions. Kong is cocky and not particularly...heroic. This isn't your typical altruistic underdog who can finally realize his emotional strength with a physical manifestation of it, but instead it's a kid who is rough around the edges who needs to learn the true meaning of the word "superhero."

It's very different.

I LOVED how much personality the writer gave him, too. Like, within the first issue he already has more personality than a bunch of established characters.

Zombine

Banned
I LOVED how much personality the writer gave him, too. Like, within the first issue he already has more personality than a bunch of established characters.

My thoughts exactly! Kong is definitely his own hero and not really a copy of anyone

Yet.

I'm anxious to see that journey and his character's emotional growth. Loving all the Superman books TBH.

tim1138

I felt like

It's very different.

Yep.

It's a fun way to subvert the typical Superman archetype without doing the overused "evil Superman" trope. Is Kong a bully and a jerk? Absolutely! But like you said, it's a nuanced take on that kind of behavior. I'm not sure I even want him to have the typical redemption arc, maybe he learns to do the right thing, but stays cocky because he's so powerful? That would be an interesting avenue to explore. In the hands of a lesser writer, this book would crash and burn so hard, but Gene Luen Yang is gonna knock this out of the park.

I felt like

It's very different.

Yep.

It's a fun way to subvert the typical Superman archetype without doing the overused "evil Superman" trope. Is Kong a bully and a jerk? Absolutely! But like you said, it's a nuanced take on that kind of behavior. I'm not sure I even want him to have the typical redemption arc, maybe he learns to do the right thing, but stays cocky because he's so powerful? That would be an interesting avenue to explore. In the hands of a lesser writer, this book would crash and burn so, but Gene Luen Yang is gonna knock this out of the park.

This all sounds rather great.

I wonder what the opinions from any Mainland Chinese readers are like. I was a bit surprised to see who they picked as the writer, to be frank.

mreddie

CW2-3 Spoilers

If Hawkguy had that arrow from the get go, where was he in WWH? He had to be alive back then right? Seriously, Hawkeye? I feel Clint would be a judgmental guy and not acting in defense.

Sandfox

CW2-3 Spoilers

If Hawkguy had that arrow from the get go, where was he in WWH? He had to be alive back then right? Seriously, Hawkeye? I feel Clint would be a judgmental guy and not acting in defense.
Bruce have him the arrow recently as in post-SW

mreddie

Bruce have him the arrow recently as in post-SW

So it would have to be set before the Gamma transfer to Cho. Also, the Accused summary said Hulk harmed people, I got remember Hulk harming anyone, WWH had him warning NY to leave in 24 hours.

Sandfox

So it would have to be set before the Gamma transfer to Cho. Also, the Accused summary said Hulk harmed people, I got remember Hulk harming anyone, WWH had him warning NY to leave in 24 hours.
After actually. Bruce seeming gave it to him like a month or two ago which means it was probably after ANAD started.

New Superman was a very solid start.

I hope the Great Ten show up.

I feel like the Cho situation is being ignored.

VanWinkle

What was up with Damian's dialogue in Nightwing? Didn't sound like him whatsoever. Like the whole time he's talking I'm thinking, "Who IS this?"

Sandfox

Civil War operates under the assumption that Bruce can still Hulk out even though he was cured in Totally Awesome Hulk.
He's cited, but the experiments he has been performing on himself coupled with the prediction had people scared. They gave the character a good ending on TA Hulk and this ruined it though

mreddie

New Avengers:
giphy.gif

Power Man and Iron Fist:
giphy.gif

Silk:
923905.gif

Choosing Sides: No GIF but the first story was damn good, if that's the guy behind the Wasp book, I'm down.

New Superman:
giphy.gif

Top Bottom