• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS!!! |OT| July 2017 | Princess, I've Seen the Way You Look At Me.

It's a kids/all ages book based off of a cartoon so probably won't interest folks around here, but I saw Dark Horse are publishing an OGN based off of GDT's Trollhunters netflix series. Not sure my love for Del Toro reaches that far but I do really really like this cover by Sienkiewicz, thought it was cool enough to share:

TRLHSV1-CVR-SOL-4X6.jpg

ElNarez

Banned
Astonishing X-Men, look. You're trying to pull a very earnest "the focused totality of her psychic powers". That's a risky move. But also, I'm starved for a half-decent X-Men book with the characters I actually like, so, you'll do.

I've loved his run until issue 23 and keep hoping it turns back. It seems he's given up his more emotionally fueled story for all fluff and fan service with no real substance. 23 good 5 bad isn't exactly a bad ratio.

Didn't I already systematically dismantle this fan service nonsense? I know you never responded after I added all the detail you apparently required but I thought that was because you'd realized you were wrong.

This is worse than that Swamp Thing issue of Batman.

Didn't I already systematically dismantle this fan service nonsense? I know you never responded after I added all the detail you apparently required but I thought that was because you'd realized you were wrong.

This is worse than that Swamp Thing issue of Batman.

Maybe I missed the edit or something, I don't remember not responding to anything intentionally. I just can't browse as much with GAF now being blocked at work.

Kite-Man in itself is fan service though. And he is forced into that Swamp Thing issue because he's apparently the only one who can get into a high skyscraper (which is somehow also a slum apartment?) and he just so happened to pawn his kite.

Nearly everything he does is great.

Yea, I can getting totally behind that. I'm mostly just joshing Birdie too though, it's way too early for me as a trade reader to say that about Black Hammer but hey, if he's digging it
Birdie is also the master of hype
. Lemiere is really consistently great though, the only thing I really have by him that I feel a little apathetic about is Trillium (which is getting a deluxe HC release lol). He is rule of thumb fantastic though bar the odd superhero book that sounded right but ended up not meshing well with him as a writer. Really enjoying Descender right now.

Speaking of, Joe Golem and Baltimore are the shit why did I wait this long

Haha they are pretty great, also minor spoiler but did you see recently in the new Golem series
they connected the two?

Maybe I missed the edit or something, I don't remember not responding to anything intentionally. I just can't browse as much with GAF now being blocked at work.

Kite-Man in itself is fan service though. And he is forced into that Swamp Thing issue because he's apparently the only one who can get into a high skyscraper (which is somehow also a slum apartment?) and he just so happened to pawn his kite.

THAT IS AN INSANE STATEMENT!

No but seriously Kite Man is an awesome gag. I am actually really legitimately interested in discussing this idea of fan service with you. I fundamentally believe what you think of as fan service is "making comics fun in the context of an ongoing continuity".

THAT IS AN INSANE STATEMENT!

No but seriously Kite Man is an awesome gag. I am actually really legitimately interested in discussing this idea of fan service with you. I fundamentally believe what you think of as fan service is "making comics fun in the context of an ongoing continuity".

Forcing something into a story as much as possible because people like it. I was fine with him showing up early on and really like him but he is literally forced into that Swamp issue for no other reason than King likes him and fans like him. The story would actually make more sense logically if he wasn't in that story. Swamp things dad is living in a sky scraper slum just for the sake of it being too high to access, kite man sells his main instrument of villainy just because the actual villain needs a way to access said skyscraper slum. There's a difference between fun and cool things being coming from a story and those things being forced into the story and changing it just to get these moments. It completely loses the "cool" for me.

1. Essex County
  2. The Underwater Welder
  3. Trillium
  4. The Nobody
  5. Roughneck

Haven't read Sweet Tooth. Royal City is too new.

Embarrassingly I haven't read Essex County yet lol its been on my list for maybe 4 years and I just never get there. The Underwater Welder and The Nobody are really great though, I love the notes he hits and how authentic he makes that stuff feel, you know he lives in that small town family place, in his heart. Read Sweet Tooth!

Forcing something into a story as much as possible because people like it. I was fine with him showing up early on and really like him but he is literally forced into that Swamp issue for no other reason than King likes him and fans like him. The story would actually make more sense logically if he wasn't in that story. Swamp things dad is living in a sky scraper slum just for the sake of it being too high to access, kite man sells his main instrument of villainy just because the actual villain needs a way to access said skyscraper slum. There's a difference between fun and cool things being coming from a story and those things being forced into the story and changing it just to get these moments. It completely loses the "cool" for me.

It could have been any other supervillian with a flying apparatus but Tom King used Kiteman.

Embarrassingly I haven't read Essex County yet lol its been on my list for maybe 4 years and I just never get there. The Underwater Welder and The Nobody are really great though, I love the notes he hits and how authentic he makes that stuff feel, you know he lives in that small town family place, in his heart. Read Sweet Tooth!

I know I know. I have the first 3 volumes too!

It could have been any other supervillian with a flying apparatus but Tom King used Kiteman.

I know I know. I have the first 3 volumes too!

So you think even if it wasn't Kite-Man it would have still been the same set up? Because everything else is pointless to the actual story other than to involve Kite-Man. Literally he knows the MO of the killer immediately and even reveals later he knew the killer but wanted to confirm it. The set up of it being a high rise and having to fly in the window doesn't matter at all to the story other than to involve Kite-man. That is literally fan service.

To add to this, it's worth noting that this was originally only meant to be half of an issue that also included part of Rooftops. It's be pretty easy to see how this story was basically just the beginning and end with all the kite man stuff added to fill out the issue.

I think that's the core disagreement. I don't think it's forced for the audience. I think it's there because HE thinks it's great. It's cool that you don't dig it, but I guess I just have a real problem with calling it fan service.

So you think even if it wasn't Kite-Man it would have still been the same set up? Because everything else is pointless to the actual story other than to involve Kite-Man. Literally he knows the MO of the killer immediately and even reveals later he knew the killer but wanted to confirm it. The set up of it being a high rise and having to fly in the window doesn't matter at all to the story other than to involve Kite-man. That is literally fan service.

Swamp Thing can travel through the earth. If you wanted to stay as far away from swamp thing as you can, what do you do? Unless you are Bruce or Lex you can't go live in space. Unless can't live in the country so you have to live in the city, lots of concrete. But you still get parks and green spots so you go up. But penthouse flats are a lot of money.

So now you have a man who is a hermit and lives in a high rise, how do you get to him?

I think that's the core disagreement. I don't think it's forced for the audience. I think it's there because HE thinks it's great. It's cool that you don't dig it, but I guess I just have a real problem with calling it fan service.

The only time I would ever really call it that is in 23. It totally seems like that whole story just adds a complete detour for no other reason than to add KM.

Swamp Thing can travel through the earth. If you wanted to stay as far away from swamp thing as you can, what do you do? Unless you are Bruce or Lex you can't go live in space. Unless can't live in the country so you have to live in the city, lots of concrete. But you still get parks and green spots so you go up. But penthouse flats are a lot of money.

So now you have a man who is a hermit and lives in a high rise, how do you get to him?

What? The character is his dad and wasn't hiding from Swamp Thing. The killer even finds out who he is because he's constantly bragging about being his father and knowing him and his super hero buddies which is the killers whole motivation to kill him.

The only time I would ever really call it that is in 23. It totally seems like that whole story just adds a complete detour for no other reason than to add KM.

What? The character is his dad and wasn't hiding from Swamp Thing. The killer even finds out who he is because he's constantly bragging about being his father and knowing him and his super hero buddies which is the killers whole motivation to kill him.

Yeah I can barely remember what happens in that issue I'm just going off what you're saying.

Aizo

Banned
Welp. Back into this thread where it's safe. I accidentally got a few people banned.

Picked up Wild Storm 6, Batman 27, and Aliens Dead Orbit 3 (preorder discount). Looking forward to Wild Storm the most :)

Aizo

Banned
The fight at the beginning of Wild Storm 6. Goodness.
What did you do?
I made a thread about my opinion on something I felt was creepy in a Japanese game, and then the discussion went to real world Japan, so I talked about real world shit in Japan. I don't want to derail this thread, so if you wanna take a look, take a look at my posting history to see the thread, but I don't recommend continuing the discussion outside of PMing me haha. The thread was closed and several people were banned.

I made a thread about my opinion on something I felt was creepy in a Japanese game, and then the discussion went to real world Japan, so I talked about real world shit in Japan. I don't want to derail this thread, so if you wanna take a look, take a look at my posting history to see the thread, but I don't recommend continuing the discussion outside of PMing me haha. The thread was closed and several people were banned.

Wow. Some people... BACK TO COMICS!

Checked out the first trade of Hellboy, as I suddenly got an urge to check it out, and I really liked the feel of it. I think the stuff that's dropped and meant to be obvious future plot threads was a little heavy handed but I enjoyed the overall feel of the writing and characters. Gonna keep going on it when I can.

Messi

I consider you to be fairly well versed in Japanese culture, possibly even expert in some areas so I can't imagine it was posted with any negative intent.

Checked out the first trade of Hellboy, as I suddenly got an urge to check it out, and I really liked the feel of it. I think the stuff that's dropped and meant to be obvious future plot threads was a little heavy handed but I enjoyed the overall feel of the writing and characters. Gonna keep going on it when I can.

It's disappointing that I'm only familiar with the movies and the superb animated films.

Looking over that thread... some of the replies, jaysus.

You did good.

Can I just read straight through Astonishing X-Men and Uncanny X-Force or is there a whole lot of need to know stuff with them? Cyclops thread in OT got me thinking I should read some X-Men books since I don't think I've read anything with them past the 90s.

After just reading Hellboy and then seeing that GDT Shape of Water trailer, no one can tell that is not an Abe Sapien origin movie. Even the pod he's in is identical.

Top Bottom