• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS!!! |OT| July 2017 | Princess, I've Seen the Way You Look At Me.

error4041

Iron Man is his big bust to me, let Riri do shit in Chicago instead of tying up Stark's loose ends.

Defenders is ok but Diamondback Brock Lesnaring Iron Fist made me go what.
I don't know about Iron Riri or Spider-Miles, but Infamous Iron man, Jessica Jones are great. and Defenders is off to a pretty good start, I'd agree that Diamondback isn't the best villain, but hopefully he goes away after this arc and the book goes on to better villains.

Sandfox

I really enjoyed the first arc of the new Iron Fist book. It was a cool adventure for Danny and Brisson is taking the story in an interesting direction.

Bought Umbrella Academy on the IDW (edit: Dark Horse, I mean) sale. Excited to finally read it!
Fucking good ass shit.
Where can I read some Black Alice?

In both of Gail Simone's runs. In her 2008 run, Alice doesn't show up until the back half, but she's pretty great as being the "kid" of the group. In her later run (2015 or 2014. I can't recall), Alice is one of the main crew from the beginning and has a full arc focusing on her (it's super fucked).

Both really great runs and Alice is a great character in both of them.

I haven't read much of Cates's work but I'm on board, sounds pretty good, been waiting for another good Loki appearance ever since agent of asgard ended too soon :( . I'm suprised there hasnt been a lot of Loki/Strange team ups before with them both being masters of magic.

From the interview it looks like there going full in with Cates and he's going to have a say in a lot of stories going forward.

In what way?

I was looking at the Marvel Solicits and I'm confused as hell by the numbering.

I really can not understand the renumbering thing, it all seems like a complicated mess with some work experience kid with a calculator trying to figure out which number all the series are up too now.

I don't get what gain they'll get from it, surely all the fans that are bothered about legacy numbering and are such big fans they know the correct number a series should be on are already reading.

Maybe there hoping for big sales on big numbered legacy issues, 100, 150, 250 etc?

Sandfox

I really can not understand the renumbering thing, it all seems like a complicated mess with some work experience kid with a calculator trying to figure out which number all the series are up too now.

I don't get what gain they'll get from it, surely all the fans that are bothered about legacy numbering and are such big fans they know the correct number a series should be on are already reading.

Maybe there hoping for big sales on big numbered legacy issues, 100, 150, 250 etc?

It's basically just a nostalgia thing to tie into Legacy. There's also a mentality that Marvel books won't ever reach high numbers anymore.

Sandfox

Oh well that's fine then. Also 71 seems a bit low for Iron Fist. I suppose Powerman and Iron Fist had more issues.

They gave Powerman and Iron Fist books to Luke Cage.

IronFistLegacyNumbering.jpg

It's basically just a nostalgia thing to tie into Legacy. There's also a mentality that Marvel books won't ever reach high numbers anymore.

But there not actually doing anything with nostalgia or bringing back most of the legacy characters for a lot of the series. Most of the series are just the same characters with the same creative teams.

Thors still Jane Thor (for now at least)
Avengers are still a mix of new version and new champions characters
Defenders is the netflix variation, now with added Deadpool
Wolverines still x23
Hulks still Cho

I guess Iceman is at least bringing back original Champions for a few issues
Sams back as falcon
Starks possibly back?

Sandfox

But there not actually doing anything with nostalgia or bringing back most of the legacy characters for a lot of the series. Most of the series are just the same characters with the same creative teams.

Wolverines still x23
Hulks still Cho

Sams back as falcon
Starks possibly back?

Tony and Odinson Thor are coming back and I would expect Hulk to as well. Steve is now the only Captain America with Jane possibly on her way out as well. The Legacy one-shot is supposed to setup characters returning and that will seemingly be carried out during Legacy.

Also, Deadpool isn't joining the Defenders

Tony and Odinson Thor are coming back and I would expect Hulk to as well. Steve is now the only Captain America with Jane possibly on her way out as well. The Legacy one-shot is supposed to setup characters returning and that will seemingly be carried out during Legacy.

Also, Deadpool isn't joining the Defenders

Just seems like a half done job, some of the characters are coming back, some aren't, some series are the same name but totally different characters than used to be in the series years back eg champions/defenders.

Well yeah I guessed Deadpool isn't joining Defenders, but at the same time how are they a legacy team, its not legacy defenders its netflix defenders.

I'll always be a Marvel fan over DC and honestly think despite stick they put out more good titles than DC but DC has a clear direction, Marvel definitely does not.

ElNarez

Banned
My Ultimates² boycott is at an end now that the book is coming out of Secret Empire and boy oh boy. Let's just say that there's one popular Secret Empire theory that just got shot down. Nick Spencer is fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuucked.

Sandfox

Just seems like a half done job, some of the characters are coming back, some aren't, some series are the same name but totally different characters than used to be in the series years back eg champions/defenders.

Well yeah I guessed Deadpool isn't joining Defenders, but at the same time how are they a legacy team, its not legacy defenders its netflix defenders.

I'll always be a Marvel fan over DC and honestly think despite stick they put out more good titles than DC but DC has a clear direction, Marvel definitely does not.

I would assume that's why those books didn't get Legacy numbering. Legacy is supposed to be about both the old stuff and the new stuff coexisting though so books like Champions won't go back to the Iceman team. We'll see if the Avengers rumors are true though.

Phamit

Wolverines still x23
Hulks still Cho

Sams back as falcon
Starks possibly back?

Not every story is suppose to bring a Legacy Character back from day one. Some Storys are just call backs to old Storys. Don't know how they going to use the concept in Defenders.

Jane Thor is dying and the story is about a return

In Jessica Jones, she confronts the purple man

While X23 ist still Wolverine, her story is about going back to the facility where she was created.

While Hulk is still cho the story is about returning to Planet Hulk

My Ultimates² boycott is at an end now that the book is coming out of Secret Empire and boy oh boy. Let's just say that there's one popular Secret Empire theory that just got shot down. Nick Spencer is fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuucked.
Which one of them? There have been quite many of them by fans in an attempt to explain away everything("It's an Ultimateverse invasion! Mockingbird and Cap are infiltrators to weaken the world!").

Did hear Ewing made "punches from the punch dimension" canon.

ElNarez

Banned
Which one of them? There have been quite many of them by fans in an attempt to explain away eveything("It's an Ultimateverse invasion! Mockingbird and Cap are infiltrators to weaken the world!")

Secret Empire has nothing to do with the Ultimates, or the Ultimate Universe, and it's all I'll say about Ultimates² #9.

tim1138

It's nice to see that even as Ellis tweaks and changes characters in the Wild Storm,
Henry Bendix
is still an absolute bastard and shit heel of a person.

Have the final two New Avengers issues to finish and then I'm done with Infinity. Definitely not my thing. Found everything in space really boring, but maybe that's cause Cap and Carol are just boring characters. Needed more Superior Spidey to make me like the team. Still digging New Avengers tho.

Not every story is suppose to bring a Legacy Character back from day one. Some Storys are just call backs to old Storys. Don't know how they going to use the concept in Defenders.

Jane Thor is dying and the story is about a return

In Jessica Jones, she confronts the purple man

While X23 ist still Wolverine, her story is about going back to the facility where she was created.

While Hulk is still cho the story is about returning to Planet Hulk

So right okay then, so some series have original characters coming back, some series have stories that call back to old stories and locations and a few don't really have anything. With some of those series going back to legacy numbering and some not. I guess that kind of makes sense to me now, but I haven't heard anyone from Marvel explain it well and to be honest with it being a pretty vague overall theme going on there thats not going to be an easy sell.

Batman

Easily the worst issue of Tom King's Batman so far. Three issues into this "War" and I still don't really know what it's even about or why it progressed into a war. Then we get a cliche ass dumb origin for a character with only one note. How is it War of Jokes and Riddles is the arc that turns me against TK? Edit:NVM it was Swampy episode that turned me.

This is aggravating.

It's nice to see that even as Ellis tweaks and changes characters in the Wild Storm,
Henry Bendix
is still an absolute bastard and shit heel of a person.

Has
Rose Tattoo
made an appearance yet?
Her
whole plot was great in the original Wildstorm.

ElNarez

Banned
Batman

Easily the worst issue of Tom King's Batman so far. Three issues into this "War" and I still don't really know what it's even about or why it progressed into a war. Then we get a cliche ass dumb origin for a character with only one note. How is it War of Jokes and Riddles is the arc that turns me against TK? Edit:NVM it was Swampy episode that turned me.

This is aggravating.

Because you're wrong and you have bad taste.

Because you're wrong and you have bad taste.

Hell....Yeah...

I just don't give a shit about fan service and big moments and just want a good story. Since that Swamp issue haven't even seen one issue that stands up as an actual good story. It's all been fluff and fan service pieces together by bullshit.

tim1138

Has
Rose Tattoo
made an appearance yet?
Her
whole plot was great in the original Wildstorm.

Not yet, I'm sure it's going to happen at some point though.

Hell....Yeah...

I just don't give a shit about fan service and big moments and just want a good story. Since that Swamp issue haven't even seen one issue that stands up as an actual good story. It's all been fluff and fan service pieces together by bullshit.

So why do you keep buying it every other week if you think it's so terrible?

Not yet, I'm sure it's going to happen at some point though.

So why do you keep buying it every other week if you think it's so terrible?

I've loved his run until issue 23 and keep hoping it turns back. It seems he's given up his more emotionally fueled story for all fluff and fan service with no real substance. 23 good 5 bad isn't exactly a bad ratio.

Messi

Batman

This is aggravating.

You should drop the book. You are wasting money on something you don't enjoy. Trust me I understand. I bought 26 issues too many of new 52 Catwoman because... It has to improve right?

tim1138

I've loved his run until issue 23 and keep hoping it turns back. It seems he's given up his more emotionally fueled story for all fluff and fan service with no real substance. 23 good 5 bad isn't exactly a bad ratio.

Sure, but if you haven't liked the prior three or four issues that seems like a large enough sample size to realize it's time to drop the book. I drop books in a heartbeat if I start to not like them, but maybe that's just me.

Just to keep the negativity going, I would also call this weeks Superman the worst issue of the run. Yay for history lessons!

Super Sons is amazing though.

Sure, but if you haven't liked the prior three or four issues that seems like a large enough sample size to realize it's time to drop the book. I drop books in a heartbeat if I start to not like them, but maybe that's just me.

Im with that for Marvel, but for some reason have a really hard time dropping a lot of DC books.

Batman

This is aggravating.

5qb9Xyy.gif

I dropped it at #15.

To whoever recommended Paybacks in that Dark Horse sale, good on ya. That was a fun as hell little series! Apparently it moved over to Heavy Metal after that? I didn't even know Heavy Metal published stuff outside of... Heavy Metal. Unfortunately that new series isn't on sale at all.

Top Bottom