• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS!!! |OT| July 2017 | Princess, I've Seen the Way You Look At Me.

Seems strange I'm sure they had an interview with someone at Telltale a few days back saying they weren't planning more Wolf Among Us soon. The old double bluff eh.

Though were still waiting for the Telltale king to return................

mqdefault.jpg

bro, bro bro bro

After just reading Hellboy and then seeing that GDT Shape of Water trailer, no one can tell that is not an Abe Sapien origin movie. Even the pod he's in is identical.

I mean, you can tell because it's not the BPRD, it's not Abe's origin story and so on, but 100% I will say seeing it now it's very reminiscent, you can see the jumping off point where Del Toro worked on Abe and some of the elements he added himself (Abe loving music is not a comic thing, yet it's here in this movie from the HB movies). He obviously was in love with the idea enough that he wanted to work it into his love story he had. Abe is very much inspired by creature of the lagoon etc though. There's influences feeding influences, we all just see Abe because we're familiar with that specific influence. It is quite crazy though. Can't wait!

Stalk

Bought SamCap Vol4 in that Marvel collections sale they got going on atm on cmx. I like the idea of a Cap book dealing with social issues and whatnot, and it certainly feels more intimate but eessh reached the Falcon issue:

These feel like parodies created by alt-right guys rather than anything hah... Almost with a hint of "both sides" by creating this comical leftist stereotype. "Lookit me I'm on twitter". Overall though the entire volume is kinda... naff. The D-man issue was good as a small character vignette. I only ever read this when it's dirt cheap on cmx though.

can Nick Spencer just write more stuff like Superior Foes again?

Also picked up Death of X and I didn't mind it actually. I like the twist at the end, I'm massively behind on X-men though so I don't know too much. Might grab a Marvel unlimited and read stuff.

Neophant

I've been a longtime lurker here on Comic-GAF and been checking out the forum here almost as long as I've been reading comics ;‑). I introduced myself on the Discord chat, but I guess it's time I joined the fellow readers here. Thanks to you guys, I've bought and read way more Sunstone and Giant Days and Black Hammer and I can't appreciate it enough. Overall I try to read everything that I can and my weekly pull has lately only grown bigger and bigger. Favourite books as of late are Monstress, Kaijumax, Shade the Changing Girl, Superman, Detective Comics, Atomic Robo, and the Ghostbusters IDW books. Hope you guys will have me, and it's great to be here formally before SDCC!

The fight at the beginning of Wild Storm 6. Goodness.

I made a thread about my opinion on something I felt was creepy in a Japanese game, and then the discussion went to real world Japan, so I talked about real world shit in Japan. I don't want to derail this thread, so if you wanna take a look, take a look at my posting history to see the thread, but I don't recommend continuing the discussion outside of PMing me haha. The thread was closed and several people were banned.

Yeah, that looks like some shit I would have said 10 years ago. Makes me glad I accidentally got the version of Dragon Ball that censored Bulma's shower scene in the manga. I remember so many people in DBZ forums were pissed and I was thinking "Guys, she's fucking 16 years old. Like, really?" This was the 3-in-1 reissues, btw, where it was suppose to be uncensored versions but Viz put out the first couple of volumes censored.

It's disappointing that I'm only familiar with the movies and the superb animated films.
The comics are SO good. I can't recommend them enough. I like GDT and the movies were my intro too, but they're just not the same. Mignola's art is stunning and the writing and dialogue are great once it gets going. He's made such a lovable cast and universe.
I've been a longtime lurker here on Comic-GAF and been checking out the forum here almost as long as I've been reading comics ;‑). I introduced myself on the Discord chat, but I guess it's time I joined the fellow readers here. Thanks to you guys, I've bought and read way more Sunstone and Giant Days and Black Hammer and I can't appreciate it enough. Overall I try to read everything that I can and my weekly pull has lately only grown bigger and bigger. Favourite books as of late are Monstress, Kaijumax, Shade the Changing Girl, Superman, Detective Comics, Atomic Robo, and the Ghostbusters IDW books. Hope you guys will have me, and it's great to be here formally before SDCC!
Welcome! Anyone who likes Shade is cool in my book.

Yeah, that looks like some shit I would have said 10 years ago. Makes me glad I accidentally got the version of Dragon Ball that censored Bulma's shower scene in the manga. I remember so many people in DBZ forums were pissed and I was thinking "Guys, she's fucking 16 years old. Like, really?"
You can say that about a lot of things related to localization from Japan to US. People are weird when it comes to that stuff. Which reminds me, how is Weapon X? I have been wearing stuff about the Weapon H stuff but haven't heard a lot about the series itselfl.

The amazing thing is if you dig the first vol of HB it's literally just all the way up from there haha what a great position to be in.

Also hey Neophant, happy to finally see you on here proper :)

I mean, you can tell because it's not the BPRD, it's not Abe's origin story and so on, but 100% I will say seeing it now it's very reminiscent, you can see the jumping off point where Del Toro worked on Abe and some of the elements he added himself (Abe loving music is not a comic thing, yet it's here in this movie from the HB movies). He obviously was in love with the idea enough that he wanted to work it into his love story he had. Abe is very much inspired by creature of the lagoon etc though. There's influences feeding influences, we all just see Abe because we're familiar with that specific influence. It is quite crazy though. Can't wait!

I don't know where all the rights are and all but it really hits me as something he wanted to eventually do but the studios weren't in for it so now it has to be different but not all that different.

I don't know where all the rights are and all but it really hits me as something he wanted to eventually do but the studios weren't in for it so now it has to be different but not all that different.

Mignola has moved on with the rights, there's a new movie in the works elsewhere with a new actor/take and everything, so unfortunately GDT won't get to see those ideas he had realised in that context, but yea, I can totally see what you're saying. I can't imagine he could bin all those ideas and inspirations artistically if he wanted to, if it's something he's passionate to see realised beyond the property. I won't really get into it since you're early doors with the comics but there is an element of that trailer that reminds me a little about Abe visually beyond the obvious stuff. For those who have read BPRD, some of those underwater shots made me think a little of
Abe/Caul in the house on the cliff
, just the vibe. Again though, I see other influences here, on the creature and romance side of it and even just GDT's visual flair from Crimson Peak etc so I think it's just a nice big mixture culminating in GDT's take on the tortured creature from the deep/romance thing.

Totally missed your post about reading vol 1 of HB on the last page btw but glad you enjoyed it.

---------------------

For those interested, Multiversity has published a great interview with Scott Allie, breaking down the new BPRD series. It covers every major player, where they're at now and where they could be heading. It will put you in prime spot for the new book however, and it's a big but, it features major spoilers for literally everything lol. Hell On Earth, Hellboy, Abe Sapien. So read at your own peril:

Hellnote: Those Left Standing

It's a kids/all ages book based off of a cartoon so probably won't interest folks around here, but I saw Dark Horse are publishing an OGN based off of GDT's Trollhunters netflix series. Not sure my love for Del Toro reaches that far but I do really really like this cover by Sienkiewicz, thought it was cool enough to share:

that's a great cover

Wanderer5

Bishoujo Captain Marvel.

Welcome! :)

Messi

Have you heard the good word about our lord and saviour creator of Sunstone... Stjepan Sejic... Oh I see you have. My work here is done.

Welcome aboard. I create the OPs alone.

Wanderer5

Oh, I definitely hate Carol as a character. Her costume is dope, though. Hope she has an alt head with the mask.

Yes, a head sculpt with the mask would be very nice.

Oh I see The Wolf Among Us Season 2 was announced. I am not too big on games from Telltale usually, but think I'll come back for another adventure with Bigby again.

Dunkirk was fucking ace! 5/5!

The moment the Ikemen statue pics are online, share them here. Promised a few Nightwing(and butt)fans to make a thread for it...

Kurdel

Banned
Secret Empire is so schlocky, I love it soooo much!

This week had amazing moments my fave when
Hawkeye accepting to be crushed by zombie Hulk.Javing the Thing show up was the best.

Ulimates 2 this week was god tier cosmic Marvel, so much happened. The Maker fucking
broke the multiverse, and now there is only one universe. All the earths are in the same universe. I don’t know how this can stick, but this plot has been in the works for 2 years now and referenced outside of Ultimates, so I think it can stick.

Mafro

Contest of Champions grabbed quite a few characters when they should've died.
Ah that's cool, I remember reading in an interview that Remender wanted to bring him back as one of the four horsemen in Uncanny Avengers but didn't for some reason.

I need to get around to reading that Contest of Champions at some point since I really enjoy Ewing's Ultimates.

Animosity: The Rise #2: I'm so glad Bennett is telling a story about the early days of this new world order. I was always a little disappointed that we skipped right past that in the main book, which often feels like it could be any old post-apocalypse story (but with talking animals). It's fun to see the immediate ramifications of the predation ban and the general chaos that followed the initial event. The art isn't too good, unfortunately, though I do like the big fruit bat.

Cave Carson has a Cybernetic Eye #10: This book is always on my bubble, close to a drop, but it has just enough going for it to make me stick with it month after month. I don't think the plotting or characters are very good, but the art is consistently phenomenal. I can't think of any other book on my pull list that has the same sort of draw.

I wish that Cave were not such a dope. I saw the
betrayal coming in this issue the second his alternate dimension son first appeared
. And I miss the backups of the early issues SO much. I honestly enjoyed them more than the main book; I probably would not still be reading this book if not for them. The new Rock Magazine (or whatever) stuff doesn't compare.

Darth Vader #3: Total fan service, but good fan service. When I read a prequel with a foregone conclusion like this one - because we all know
Vader is going to get his lightsaber
- I want to see some interesting twists to "here's how it happened." And I don't think this book is quite delivering on that front. But the fights have been super great, so I'm willing to overlook this. Watching Vader kick the shit out of those dudes last issue
without a lightsaber
was rad, and this issue's
Vader Gets His Teeth Kicked In
beatdown was pretty fun too.

Sandfox

Animosity: The Rise #2: I'm so glad Bennett is telling a story about the early days of this new world order. I was always a little disappointed that we skipped right past that in the main book, which often feels like it could be any old post-apocalypse story (but with talking animals). It's fun to see the immediate ramifications of the predation ban and the general chaos that followed the initial event. The art isn't too good, unfortunately, though I do like the big fruit bat.

Cave Carson has a Cybernetic Eye #10: This book is always on my bubble, close to a drop, but it has just enough going for it to make me stick with it month after month. I don't think the plotting or characters are very good, but the art is consistently phenomenal. I can't think of any other book on my pull list that has the same sort of draw.

I wish that Cave were not such a dope. I saw the
betrayal coming in this issue the second his alternate dimension son first appeared
. And I miss the backups of the early issues SO much. I honestly enjoyed them more than the main book; I probably would not still be reading this book if not for them. The new Rock Magazine (or whatever) stuff doesn't compare.

Darth Vader #3: Total fan service, but good fan service. When I read a prequel with a foregone conclusion like this one - because we all know
Vader is going to get his lightsaber
- I want to see some interesting twists to "here's how it happened." And I don't think this book is quite delivering on that front. But the fights have been super great, so I'm willing to overlook this. Watching Vader kick the shit out of those dudes last issue
without a lightsaber
was rad, and this issue's
Vader Gets His Teeth Kicked In
beatdown was pretty fun too.
Vader is so good...

I'm an inconsistent comic reader and usually just go through a couple of phases a year where I go on a big kick and play catch up with Marvel and DC. However, despite being fully aware of their reputations, there are plenty of books that are regarded as the best in the medium that I've never got around to. An example being the majority of the classic Vertigo titles.

That being said, I've just read through the first two arcs of Alan Moore's "Saga of the Swamp Thing" and I'm blown away. Watchmen is one of my favorites so I've always been aware of how talented Moore is, but I feel as if he wrote a book that was specifically catered to me before I was even born. The horror aspects as well as the mature approach must have been Earth shattering for the industry back in the day. It never veers into being edgy or grimdark but still contains imagery that is shocking and scary even today. It struggles a balance but never loses credibility. Speaking of imagery, Moore found a great partner in Stephen Bissette who couldn't be more perfect for the title. The art from the monkey king arc was probably career defining unto itself. This comic has been compelling from page one and with me about to start the second trade I hope there are no signs of slowing down. Incredible stuff.

Top Bottom