• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| June 2013. Nothing can stop the Juggernaut! ...except E3 BREAKING NEWS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nah uh. AmVamp, Unwritten, Astro City, The Wake, with Collider coming as reinforcements.

Those are all awesome books, I wasn't speaking in respect to quality. But dude, comparing that with the number of titles they used to have going... And killing off Hellblazer for this shitty PG Constantine book?

snorggy

Ever since I got back into comics recently, Daredevil and Hawkeye have stood out as among my favorites... two books I would never have given a second thought were it not for you bunch. THANKS.

Also, how do you pronounce Darkseid? Is it "seed" or "side" ??

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
Ever since I got back into comics recently, Daredevil and Hawkeye have stood out as among my favorites... two books I would never have given a second thought were it not for you bunch. THANKS.

Also, how do you pronounce Darkseid? Is it "seed" or "side" ??

side

Tizoc

What are some recommendations you guys can give to someone who's just getting back into this?

Heroes/Villains I like and would like to read about are Deadpool, Spider Man, Super Man, Flash, Wonder Woman, and Batman.

The two I want to really focus on right now are Flash and Wonder Woman though. But anything is welcome, since there's probably a million different cool super heroes I could end up liking a lot.

Let's see here, off the top of my head:
Deadpool
Deadpool Classic TPBs
Agent X
Cable and Deadpool
Fear Itself: Deadpool
Deadpool: Wade Wilson's War

Current DP series is OK

Spiderman
Ultimate Spiderman by Bendis
JMS' Spiderman series

Superman
Anything by Grant Morrison, Geoff Johns, Greg Rucka, Kurt Busiek
Smallville by Bryan Q. Miller

The Flash
Anything by Mark Waid, Geoff Johns, Grant Morrison, Mark Millar

Wonder Woman
George Perez's 80s WW series
2000s series by Greg Rucka and Gaile Simone
Nu52 Wondy is best DC book IMO

Batman
Grant Morrison, Scott Snyder, J. Palmiotti
There are a lot of great non-Batman series too like Gotham Central

Anything else feel free to ask~

Deadpool has never been funny and more often than not fans of Deadpool are "those" kind of people. The only decent treatment of deadpool ever was in Uncanny X-Force.

Eh I sadly didn't find his UXF characterization to my liking =/
I'll give it another chance though.

What's this from?

It's from the middle of the Rock of Ages storyline in JLA.
Yup it's by Grant Morrison, and features one of the best depictions of Lex Luthor.

Hey Comic GAF, thanks for all your recommendations in these threads. These are the comic titles I am following right now on Comixology:

Chew (Best comic ever!!)
Daredevil (Best comic ever!!)
FF (Its cute)
Hawkeye (Best comic ever!!)
Locke and Key (Best comic ever!!)
Saga (Really loving it)
The Walking Dead (Best comic ever!!)
X-Men (Just read the one issue which has come out and I don't know half the team but I am planning to keep reading them as I am interested in X-Men)

So are there any other current series I should look out for?

Also I have previous read and enjoyed these comics:

100 Bullets (Was ok, didn't like it much)
Astonishing X-Men by Joss Whedon (Was ok)
Avengers Academy
Batman Year One
The Dark Knight Returns
Batman The Killing Joke
Batman The Long Halloween
Batwoman Elegy
Black Hole
Blankets
Casanova
Ex Machina (Was ok)
I Kill Giants
Immortal Iron Fist
Kingdom Come (Meh)
Lucifer (Best comic ever!!)
Maus
Preacher
Sandman (Best comic ever!!)
Scott Pilgrim
Sin City
Superman Red Son (Best comic ever!!)
Transmetropolitan (Best comic ever!!)
Y- The Last Man (Best comic ever!!)

Any other recommendations for me. It kinda gets slow when you are waiting it out for the next Chew/Hawkeye/Locke and Key and really want to read some more.

wetflame

Pizza Dog
Haha, that's a lot of best comics ever! Glad to see you're enjoying so many. Comics are awesome.

If you're interested in X-Men it might be worth going back and reading Uncanny X-Men and All-New X-Men, I've enjoyed those a lot. As for other recommendations I like Avengers Arena too, although I guess opinions are mixed? Still I think you should check that out.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
Any other recommendations for me. It kinda gets slow when you are waiting it out for the next Chew/Hawkeye/Locke and Key and really want to read some more.

Seeing as you liked Saga and Y: The Last Man along with Ex Machina to a lesser extent, I suggest you try the first two volumes of Runaways.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
Any other recommendations for me. It kinda gets slow when you are waiting it out for the next Chew/Hawkeye/Locke and Key and really want to read some more.[/QUOTE]

-All-Star Superman
-Fables. It's still going on but you'll know when you should stop reading it if you start it up.

Also, if you loved Lucifer, check out Mike Carey's The Unwritten. It's still one of the best comics out there and it's about to hit ish #50.

Tizoc

Guys final crisis I so good.

Love rereading it

Hah I like FC too, although I think it's great up til the finale for some reason. Not that the finale is bad, but the first 3/4 of the main story is freakin' good IMO~
...and I was actually thinking of posting this anyways haha
ppneHbr.jpg

oZwZTS4.jpg

You turned your back and I wrecked your world. Deprived your people of their powers, their hopes, their future, themselves. What will you do when your friends, your enemies, your lover, are all Darkseid? When there is one body. One mind. One will. One life that is Darkseid. Will you be the enemy of all existence, then? What irony that will be, Son of Krypton?

Acid08

Banned
Liiiiiiiiists

DC:
Aquaman #21

IDW:
TMNT #23

Image:
Bounce #2
Lazarus #1
Sex #4

Marvel:
All New X-Men #13
Captain America #8
Daredevil #27
FF #8
Hawkeye #11
Journey Into Mystery #653
X-Men #2

Jetman

What is Guillem March (artist from Catwoman and Talon) working on next? Love that guys style, and the only thing on his blog is some cover work for the DC Villans stuff..

A shame too. Loved his work on Talon.

I'll be the first to admit, I very rarely, if ever care about creator owned. A weakness of mine. The most "daring" I get is an Image comic. I think I'm just too invested in the idea of a shared universe.

Haha, that's a lot of best comics ever! Glad to see you're enjoying so many. Comics are awesome.

If you're interested in X-Men it might be worth going back and reading Uncanny X-Men and All-New X-Men, I've enjoyed those a lot. As for other recommendations I like Avengers Arena too, although I guess opinions are mixed? Still I think you should check that out.

Seeing as you liked Saga and Y: The Last Man along with Ex Machina to a lesser extent, I suggest you try the first two volumes of Runaways.

-All-Star Superman
-Fables. It's still going on but you'll know when you should stop reading it if you start it up.

Also, if you loved Lucifer, check out Mike Carey's The Unwritten. It's still one of the best comics out there and it's about to hit ish #50.

You seem to like fun books so

Nextwave Agents of Hate and Umbrella Academy are mustttttttt reads.

Its all due to GAF's recommendations that I have read such awesome stuff. Thanks for your recommendations, I will look them up.

Quick question, what's the general consensus of the Marvel subscription package? I know it goes on sale every once in a while for $60 / year, worth it for a casual fan?

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
Fuuuuck. :/ Yeah, he is missed . Oh, well, good luck to him, I guess. Wish DC would have kept him on for...well pretty much anything.

March made Catwoman tolerable when Judd Winnick was writing. Dude is a dope artist.

Bull

Does the new FF series stand on its own or do you need to read Fantastic Four as well?

What the hell is it about, anyway? I should have grabbed those first two issues last week when they were a buck each.

Does the new FF series stand on its own or do you need to read Fantastic Four as well?

What the hell is it about, anyway? I should have grabbed those first two issues last week when they were a buck each.

I haven't read a single issue of Fantastic Four NOW! but FF is amazing. It's about fun and bright colors and SCIENCE!

Mafro

It's standalone.

Basically the Fantastic Four go travelling in space. They are only meant to be gone for something like 5 minutes but just in case something happens, Richards gets Scott Lang, She Hulk, Medusa and Darla Deering (a pop star that Johnny Storm was dating) to basically be the stand-in Fantastic Four while they are away. Obviously something goes wrong and the Fantastic Four don't return after the allotted time, leaving the FF in the Baxter Building looking after all the weird Future Foundation kids and deal with stuff.

It's been great so far, Fractions writing has been genuinely funny and Allred's art perfectly compliments it.

Do you guys have any recommendations for comic book podcasts? I tried Word Balloon but the host really annoys me. His interview style seems so forced and fake.

It doesn't need to have interviews with people that work in the industry or anything, I just want good comic book talk.

This week for me:

Avengers Arena #11
Captain America #8
Daredevil #27
Hawkeye #11
X-Men #2

And Batman Superman if you guys say good things about it. My like of Batman is countered by my dislike of Supes.

kswiston

Quick question, what's the general consensus of the Marvel subscription package? I know it goes on sale every once in a while for $60 / year, worth it for a casual fan?

Marvel Unlimited? $60 is the normal price. Sometimes you can get it for $45 though.

The reader takes some getting used to, but the selection is huge. They have also been adding quite a bit of recent material. If you are OK with a 6-12 month lag on your books, you can use the service to read most of what was published in the last 5-10 years, plus a ton of the more acclaimed Marvel runs. They have 13 000 issues available to read.

Are you referring to Marvel Unlimited? I just signed up a couple of weeks ago. On one hand, there are a ton of issues available to check out from the last 50+ years. I've definitely gotten my money's worth so far.

The biggest negative is you really can't read it on iOS or Android with any consistency. The dang Marvel Unlimited app is pure trash, and crashes over and over. I though it might just be me, but the app store reviews are scathing for a reason.

If you're willing to read on your PC, I highly suggest it. For less than the price of two issues a month you can read thousands. But ONLY if you're willing to read on the computer...zero portability until they fix their crappy app.

:beaten:

Do you guys have any recommendations for comic book podcasts? I tried Word Balloon but the host really annoys me. His interview style seems so forced and fake.

It doesn't need to have interviews with people that work in the industry or anything, I just want good comic book talk.

Death of Comics and The Comic Conspiracy

Are you referring to Marvel Unlimited? I just signed up a couple of weeks ago. On one hand, there are a ton of issues available to check out from the last 50+ years. I've definitely gotten my money's worth so far.

The biggest negative is you really can't read it on iOS or Android with any consistency. The dang Marvel Unlimited app is pure trash, and crashes over and over. I though it might just be me, but the app store reviews are scathing for a reason.

If you're willing to read on your PC, I highly suggest it. For less than the price of two issues a month you can read thousands. But ONLY if you're willing to read on the computer...zero portability until they fix their crappy app.

:beaten:

Yea it would be on my PC or laptop, don't have a tablet. I'll probably sign up, thanks!

Are you talking about the current ongoing Marvel Now runs for these series or some other old runs.

wetflame

Pizza Dog
The Marvel Now runs. I only recently got back into comics and the Marvel Now line has been really helpful as a jumping on point for a lot of titles. So much stuff I wouldn't have tried out due to a fear of continuity being too dense got made a lot easier to take a chance on.

The Marvel Now runs. I only recently got back into comics and the Marvel Now line has been really helpful as a jumping on point for a lot of titles. So much stuff I wouldn't have tried out due to a fear of continuity being too dense got made a lot easier to take a chance on.

Ok thanks :)

Why aren't people buying Lazarus!

Because it's not out yet! When it comes out, I will buy it.

Also, I'm going to start trade-waiting Morning Glories. If Spencer is going to drag everyone along for $3.99 an issue and tell us nothing in the end, I might as well just get it done all at once.

NEO0MJ

I've been rereading Sandman in preparation for vol 9&10, those two have been in the backlog for too long. Man is it good, Morpheus is a great character despite how often he tends to brood. I also love those filler stories.

Because it's not out yet! When it comes out, I will buy it.

Also, I'm going to start trade-waiting Morning Glories. If Spencer is going to drag everyone along for $3.99 an issue and tell us nothing in the end, I might as well just get it done all at once.
I thought the price bump was just for one issue?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom