• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| June 2014. Bringing you great father-son bonding moments since 1940.

Status
Not open for further replies.
If those first six issues of Fatale didn't sell you, I'm not sure it's worth continuing. You can probably quit. Maybe Brubaker's other stuff would be more up your alley than this Lovecraftian story.

I agree. Fatale started with an interesting premise, but most of the series just seems pretty directionless. Brubaker is much better when he sticks to pure crime writing. Though giving it a paranormal twist was an interesting idea, it just didn't pan out.

Oh, I see. I didn't get in 20 yet, that explains it.

It is like I said, It was reading like I already should know who are who, or the basics of the world. It didn't seem like the beginning of something.
The early issues are actually collected in a book called Roots of the Swamp Thing. It's really only interesting as a curiosity though, and I'd recommend reading everything else Swamp Thing, and Man-Thing for that matter, first.

Macmanus

Rat Queens, Black Science and Nowhere Men.

Word. Thanks.

If those first six issues of Fatale didn't sell you, I'm not sure it's worth continuing. You can probably quit. Maybe Brubaker's other stuff would be more up your alley than this Lovecraftian story.

I would totally support giving Transmetropolitan a try. I thought Nowhere Men was really cool too.

I liked Fatale - I just thought I would be completely engrossed by it as I love the recipe in concept. I just didn't feel emotionally invested in Crippled Protagonist and Fatale. I'm going to give it another arch for sure since I love the art - and again; the concept.

Also thanks.

Bii

I hate you us residents sometimes :/. I want that wolverine and the x-men omnibus.

I can hook you up with some of Aaron's Wolverine and the X-Men digital codes, though it would probably only go back a year or so and you'd miss all the great stuff in the beginning. :(

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
I read Coffin Hill: Vol 1 over the weekend. I'm generally not into stuff involving witchcraft/magic, but this was okay. I mostly like the art and the atmosphere, but I'm also not super clear on what the hell is going on. Honestly, I can't even try to explain what all the relationships are here. There's an evil force somehow tied in to the family of witches... but beyond that, I'm baffled. I'm not quite sure whether it's supposed to still be mysterious or if I'm being obtuse or if the writing is unclear. In writing this, I feel I could easily convince myself not to bother with the next volume, but we'll see.

I have a couple issues left, but damn was Catwoman: Vol 3 by Brubaker a letdown. Gulacy's art is both visually unpleasant and poor storytelling. The Egyptian cult plot just ends unceremoniously. Then there's a couple random issues from War Games that make no sense without reading the rest of that storyline. Meh.

I agree. Fatale started with an interesting premise, but most of the series just seems pretty directionless. Brubaker is much better when he sticks to pure crime writing. Though giving it a paranormal twist was an interesting idea, it just didn't pan out.

I'd agree, although I'm reading the whole thing. I dig the atmosphere and loved the first arc, but as a series it hasn't gelled into much. It's just retelling similar stories in different time periods. There's enough for me to enjoy, but I don't really care about the big picture. It might have been better served as a tighter story, maybe with one current period and one flashback element, and let it reach a conclusion much sooner.

There's enough for me to enjoy, but I don't really care about the big picture. It might have been better served as a tighter story, maybe with one current period and one flashback element, and let it reach a conclusion much sooner.

That's good, because there doesn't seem to be too much of a "big picture" with Fatale. I like the atmosphere of the book, it just hasn't been as interesting as I'd hoped. I expect great things from The Fade Out, though, as it seems like that book will play more the Brubaker's strengths.

Unai

The early issues are actually collected in a book called Roots of the Swamp Thing. It's really only interesting as a curiosity though, and I'd recommend reading everything else Swamp Thing, and Man-Thing for that matter, first.

I saw this collection but I thought it was collecting the first issues of the older series. Good to know, thanks.

Messi

I can hook you up with some of Aaron's Wolverine and the X-Men digital codes, though it would probably only go back a year or so and you'd miss all the great stuff in the beginning. :(

Any codes are cool is love to see what the tone is like.

Zombine

Banned
Dan said:
I read Coffin Hill: Vol 1 over the weekend. I'm generally not into stuff involving witchcraft/magic, but this was okay. I mostly like the art and the atmosphere, but I'm also not super clear on what the hell is going on.

Great looking book for with too little character development for my tastes. I have strong connections and family that live in Salem so I was initially drawn to the book. I finished up the first arc and dropped it.

So I just made a DCBS account since they had the Vertigo Cover Girls Death statue at a decent price. I want to get the iZombie statue from them as well when she goes up for sale. My understanding is that they don't charge you for non-book items until they actually ship, yes?

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
Hey guys, so is there a solid date for Black Beetle: Necrologue yet?

I just looked at The Black Beetle sitting on my shelf and remembered how amazing it was and really want more...

Shrennin

Didn't get the memo regarding the 14th Amendment
Yeah, City Fall starts in issue #21 and it's incredible. The whole run has been fantastic and it's been great to be a turtles fan.

It really is. It's also probably doing wonders for getting new fans. I never really was into the early Turtle comics, but now I'm really considering the trades that IDW released collecting all of the first series.

Also, Scott Snyder has become one of my favorite writers. He's really good. I'm probably going to get Wytches when it first comes out.

How has green lantern and gl corps been? I stopped at the end of blackest night and was thinking about getting just the gl brightest day stuff and continuing from there

Cheska

Holy crap, totally forgot Wolverine and the Xmen omnibus came out :O

IST order incoming.

I know we briefly discussed Punisher before, and most people agree that Rucka's run is one of the best, but how's Aaron take on it? The collection of that came out this week as well.

EDIT: Damnit, totally missed that you guys discussed this in the previous page. Sorry guys :(

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
Holy crap, totally forgot Wolverine and the Xmen omnibus came out :O

IST order incoming.

I know we briefly discussed Punisher before, and most people agree that Rucka's run is one of the best, but how's Aaron take on it? The collection of that came out this week as well.

Fucking ruthless and great. Steve Dillon, in general, stinks but dude knows how to draw long, violent fights, and that's pretty much this entire run. I'd recommend it.

Zer0 Kane

Neo Member
So I just made a DCBS account since they had the Vertigo Cover Girls Death statue at a decent price. I want to get the iZombie statue from them as well when she goes up for sale. My understanding is that they don't charge you for non-book items until they actually ship, yes?

No. When I ordered the Harley black and white statue in December, I was charged with my comic order for that month. Payment was taken in the middle of the next month.

Zer0 Kane

Neo Member
Seems like it'll charge you for statues/figures if they're mixed with printed items but not if they are on their own.

http://www.dcbservice.com/payments.aspx

Ah, good to know.

Yeah when order comics, preorders go up first of the month(stuff on the most recent solicitations). You have a couple of weeks to place orders. Orders are locked in at the end of the month, usually the 26th-29th. Then it is charged a couple of weeks later.

Unai

I just finished reading Grant Morrison's Animal Man. I think the first 5 issues were the best stories of the whole run, because the first arc dealt with the problem of test in animals and the final scene with the doc/monkey was very strong. Also, the Gospel Coyote oneshot was amazing.

I liked the time travel stuff later on as well and the fourth wall ending was nice, but not as good as the beginning IMO. Well, maybe I should read it all again sometime because I think this kind of weird stories get better in the second reading.

Quick question about the who Nightwing/Grayson thing.
How is
Helena Bertinelli supposed to black when Helena Wayne was impersonating her in World's Finest
?

Cass is next

Looks like the second round of DC Bombshells art prints are up for pre-order at TFAW. Black Canary, Hawkgirl, Catwoman, Poison Ivy and Supergirl this time.

Quick question about the who Nightwing/Grayson thing.
How is
Helena Bertinelli supposed to black when Helena Wayne was impersonating her in World's Finest
?

Cass is next
Ummmmmmmmm... diversity?

Alternately, do you really believe that the DC that haphazardly rebooted the previous 25+ years of continuity actually cares about an inconvenient footnote from World's Finest #1?

Can't wait to see blonde Texan cheerleader Cassandra Cain.

Ummmmmmmmm... diversity?

Alternately, do you really believe that the DC that haphazardly rebooted the previous 25+ years of continuity actually cares about an inconvenient footnote from World's Finest #1?

Can't wait to see blonde Texan cheerleader Cassandra Cain.

The reboot I somewhat get despite hating it and Wally I get,
this just seems like DC doesn't even care.

fallingdove

Hey guys, so is there a solid date for Black Beetle: Necrologue yet?

I just looked at The Black Beetle sitting on my shelf and remembered how amazing it was and really want more...

I think its publishing may have been cancelled. Dark Horse has removed it entirely from its website and it is no longer in the Diamond Distributor database. I think that Francavillia is just focusing on getting Afterlife with Archie finished now.

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
I think its publishing may have been cancelled. Dark Horse has removed it entirely from its website and it is no longer in the Diamond Distributor database. I think that Francavillia is just focusing on getting Afterlife with Archie finished now.

Oh whaaat. Well I can't imagine he'd abandon it forever. Hopefully he gets back to it sometime soon.

Owzers

placing my dcbs order, browsing through the publishers i feel like i don't even read comics anymore and it's just a list of things i used to read or never tried, especially dc.

settled on:

Harley Quinn vol 1 HC - please don't be dumb...
Multiversity
Batman combo
JL combo
Superman combo
Wonder Woman

Black Science, East of West, Manhattan, Saga, Walking Dead, Wicked and Divine

All New Doop #5 of 5, Avengers, Cap, Daredevil, Iron Fist, Moon Knight, Ms. Marvel, New Avengers, Original Sin conclusion, Rocket Raccoon, Secret Avengers, She Hulk, Silver Surfer, Uncanny Avengers.

Fantastic Four Omnibus and Thor God of Thunder OHC being saved for an IST order alongside Zero tp vol 2 and FBP vol 2 tp if i like the first volumes.

Thank you! I found it right after I asked. Preordered.

I'm in for Canary, maybe Ivy too. I hope they do another round, because I neeeeeed a print of the Bombshell Batwoman cover.

Edit: iZombie Gwen statue is up now at DCBS for $67.97, if anyone else was waiting for it.

MG310

Ordered Supergirl and Canary from BBTS. Big pile for June now with the Canary statue,Capullo Batman/Nightwing, and the 2 prints.

Wonder if Canary will be in tomorrow..might end up having them ship her when she comes in since I got a messed up Batgirl last time.

Bii

placing my dcbs order, browsing through the publishers i feel like i don't even read comics anymore and it's just a list of things i used to read or never tried, especially dc.

settled on:

Harley Quinn vol 1 HC - please don't be dumb...
Multiversity
Batman combo
JL combo
Superman combo
Wonder Woman

Black Science, East of West, Manhattan, Saga, Walking Dead, Wicked and Divine

All New Doop #5 of 5, Avengers, Cap, Daredevil, Iron Fist, Moon Knight, Ms. Marvel, New Avengers, Original Sin conclusion, Rocket Raccoon, Secret Avengers, She Hulk, Silver Surfer, Uncanny Avengers.

Fantastic Four Omnibus and Thor God of Thunder OHC being saved for an IST order alongside Zero tp vol 2 and FBP vol 2 tp if i like the first volumes.

You will have quite the backlog there! Hopefully you won't overwhelm yourself.

-

Iron Fist: The Living Weapon #1

14155857658_19d0067a4c_o.jpg

Wow. Not much else to say but this was a fantastic read. The storytelling, pacing, pencils, colors and layout of the pages are solid all around. The first few pages even fooled me thinking that Danny was being interrogated. At least, not in the way I thought it would be. I didn't get #2 but will scour around for it at my LCS when I go in tomorrow.

14362701733_a789c8b2cc_o.jpg
14155910180_147f4f4f7e_o.jpg

Anyone wanna try out Iron Fist #1? I have a Marvel code up for grabs; first to reply/quote in this thread and it's yours.

Voror

There been any talks about some sort of Doctor Strange book lately? I could have sworn there was talk of something a ways back, but maybe that never panned out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom