• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| June 2014. Bringing you great father-son bonding moments since 1940.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Unai

Guys, the Alan Moore's run on Swamp Thing starts at issue #20. There is not a collection of the previous issues in paperback or hardcover, is there?

I started reading "Saga of the Swamp Thing: Book One", but it wasn't making too much sense. I think I need knowledge of what was going on in order to really undstand it. It was reading like I already should know who are who, or the basics of the world.

I only know the character because of the New 52 run.

#20 is Alan Moore wrapping up plot threads from the last guy

#21 is him blowing up the entire status quo and doing his own shit, anything before that issue is essentially irrelevant.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Guys, the Alan Moore's run on Swamp Thing starts at issue #20. There is not a collection of the previous issues in paperback or hardcover, is there?

I started reading "Saga of the Swamp Thing: Book One", but it wasn't making too much sense. I think I need knowledge of what was going on in order to really undstand it. It was reading like I already should know who are who, or the basics of the world.

I only know the character because of the New 52 run.

Vol 1 of Moore's run makes plenty of sense, what's confusing you exactly? I guess Woodrue and the Cable family, but anything that's vexing you is explained through context very quickly. Learning to run with stuff is an important skill in comics.

Messi

Stjepan Šejić's art is truly something special. Ravine is a stunning looking book. Ooooooooooooooh weeeee. Hot hot hot.

Still love his much simpler looking Sunstone work. All of it is beautiful.

Learning to run with stuff is an important skill in comics.

So fucking true. I am trying to get my wife into some Marvel stuff beyond self-contained runs like Bendis Daredevil and Ultimate Spidey and it always seems to come down to this. We're working through UXF now, which is an excellent training ground for this particular skill; it's effectively self-contained but draws in more threads from other stories than even a true X-aficionado could parse without a little help.

She's midway through Deathlok Nation and is learning to just roll with it, which has been fun to watch. She had a question every two pages in the opening arc.

Hellers

My titles of the hour

Bee and Puppycat (NEED MORE VIDEOS)
Rat Queens
Sex Criminals
God is Dead
Ms Marvel (OH MAN. I wub me some Ms Marvel. The latest issue was adorable)
Manhattan Projects
Bee and Puppycat (needed mentioning twice)
Transformers More than Meets the Eye (Don't like Robots in Disguise as much)

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
Ooh, just saw the talk about Phonogram. I hadn't heard of that, but from what you guys were saying it seems like something I'd really like. I'll definitely have to pick that up sometime.

bernardobri

Steve, the dog with no powers that we let hang out with us all for some reason
Ooh, just saw the talk about Phonogram. I hadn't heard of that, but from what you guys were saying it seems like something I'd really like. I'll definitely have to pick that up sometime.

It's great, although I like better vol 2 than the first.

phonogram2.jpg

Kipp

Read it now and thank us later.

But I promised myself I wouldn't buy anything else til Big Damn Sin City comes out! I'll buy it in the same order as Sin City though. Haha
I checked out the list of the songs the issues were based off of on the Wikipedia page and that second volume seems pretty close to up my alley. I usually don't listen to much electronicy stuff (I prefer the more acoustic side of indie rock stuff), but I do listen to a few of those bands occasionally.
Definitely seems really great though.

Also, speaking of IST, 65% off some DC stuff right now! http://www.instocktrades.com/specials/34/DC+Specials

Edit: Phew. Nothing at all that I'm interested on sale. Well, except for Milligan's Bronx Kill, but I'm not going to throw together an order and break the promise I made to myself for just one book.
Second Edit: Just noticed that Batman: Cover to Cover is on sale for $14... Tempting...

Stjepan Šejić's art is truly something special. Ravine is a stunning looking book. Ooooooooooooooh weeeee. Hot hot hot.

The designs of the different races are amazing as well, and he spent a lot of time on world-building. Hopefully volume 2 of Ravine makes it out this month.

frye

Edit: Phew. Nothing at all that I'm interested on sale. Well, except for Milligan's Bronx Kill, but I'm not going to throw together an order and break the promise I made to myself for just one book.

Do not get this

Even machines need to be taken offline from time to time for repairs and maintenance.

The day this pairing on this book comes to an end is going to be a sad one. I don't even want to think about it.

Yeah, it'll be really sad when they call it quits. It's been consistently great since it started.

That Clar...Kal-el in overalls working on holo-projected farm inside the Fortress of Solitude in Kingdom Come. That is a mans man.

In all seriousness, really cool so far. Makes me think Mark Millar ripped this idea off for Jupiters Legacy.

Boogiepop

So, speaking of instocktrades, is volume 8 of the TMNT ongoing not up on there? It's not out yet of course, but it's a mid-June release, and at least some preorders must go up (have the back half of the Immortal Iron Fist collection in my cart and that doesn't release for another week I believe). Part of the problem is that TMNT doesn't search too well on their site (IE stuff alternates being tagged as TMNT or Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, amongst other issues) so maybe I'm just having trouble seeing it? Or will I have to wait a bit?

Also, thinking I'll order the 2012 annual in the non-hardcover edition. I mean, it's like 20 bucks cheaper and it's not going to fit in properly with my collection either way, so why not? I'm guessing it'll just be a plus sized floppy?

Kipp

Never assume this!

For every X-Statix, there is an Uncanny X-Men (or two)

Good to know! I am looking forward to the new printing of Enigma coming out in half a year or so though. That one is really good, right?

That Clar...Kal-el in overalls working on holo-projected farm inside the Fortress of Solitude in Kingdom Come. That is a mans man.

In all seriousness, really cool so far. Makes me think Mark Millar ripped this idea off for Jupiters Legacy.

I absolutely love Kingdom Come. It's such a treat.

Okay, as my Marvel Unlimited run of mid 2000's stuff continues, I just finished Planet Hulk and part of WWH. And yeah, you guys were right... Planet Hulk was excellent, and WWH so far is kind of a let down. Just your standard comic book story, whereas PH really felt like something special. SO emotional. At the end of Planet Hulk, I wanted to go kick someone's ass.
Caiera :(
What a great job Greg Pak did of making you care about those characters.

Inhumanity is a pass, right? The hardcover just came out but it's mostly tie-ins and I heard the two main books weren't that hot anyways. I was putting together my order for the first half of the month and I figure I'll just wait until the back half of the month since Superior Spidey vol 6 and New Avengers vol 3 will be out. Only other new collection I was gonna grab this week was Indestructible Hulk vol 4.

Okay, as my Marvel Unlimited run of mid 2000's stuff continues, I just finished Planet Hulk and part of WWH. And yeah, you guys were right... Planet Hulk was excellent, and WWH so far is kind of a let down. Just your standard comic book story, whereas PH really felt like something special. SO emotional. At the end of Planet Hulk, I wanted to go kick someone's ass.

Totally, and I was so pumped for WWH because I wanted to see Hulk go back and kick everyone's collective ass. But it was just handled so poorly and the JR Jr. art was a big fat miss.

What a great job Greg Pak did of making you care about those characters.

Planet Hulk was so good I almost didn't notice how bad WWH was. You're right...I was so on board to watch Hulk wreck some smug Illuminati asses, but for whatever reason the pounding left me empty, unsatisfied.

Unai

#20 is Alan Moore wrapping up plot threads from the last guy

#21 is him blowing up the entire status quo and doing his own shit, anything before that issue is essentially irrelevant.

Oh, I see. I didn't get in 20 yet, that explains it.

Edited: Ops, I meant I didn't get into 21 yet.

Vol 1 of Moore's run makes plenty of sense, what's confusing you exactly? I guess Woodrue and the Cable family, but anything that's vexing you is explained through context very quickly. Learning to run with stuff is an important skill in comics.

It is like I said, It was reading like I already should know who are who, or the basics of the world. It didn't seem like the beginning of something.

frye

Oh, I see. I didn't get in 20 yet, that explains it.

It is like I said, It was reading like I already should know who are who, or the basics of the world. It didn't seem like the beginning of something.

Considering that #20 was not even included in collected editions until 2009, most people who have read that stuff started with #21 and worked it out fine for themselves. "The Anatomy Lesson" is a new beginning and requires no prior knowledge.

Owzers

i kind of want the WATXM omnibus, if i hadn't already read it all i would have caved, but having read it i don't know if it's something i really really need.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
I haven't read it but I loved Aarons arc in Amazing X-Men. Is it the same tone?

WATXM starts off pretty much perfectly. There's a lot of levity, a lot of great character moments, some solid drama, and it stays within its own confines, comic-crossoverwise, for the first 8 or so issues. Then it gets dragged into that AvX bullshit and takes a hit in every department for a long time. So long, I never even finished the damn series.

I haven't read Afterlife with Archie, but the first trade is coming out next week, right?

Is Afterlife an ongoing or just a limited series?

It's an ongoing series, they just announced a Sabrina spin-off as well.

I haven't read it but I loved Aarons arc in Amazing X-Men. Is it the same tone?

First two arcs are GLORIOUS, some of my favourite X-Men ever. The AvX stuff is not nearly as good, apart from a great issue where the Broo/Iron Man bromance kicks off. It's gets better shortly after and the Hellfire Saga is great. The ending is relatively weak. I thought about getting the omni, but I think I'm just going to get the first two trades instead.

Macmanus

Comic-Gaf I am quasi comic-ignorant. I keep buying books to catch up on years
of missing this medium, so now I have a growing backlog. What should
I prioritize from below? What would you recommend? Phonogram looked interesting so I just ordered the first volume. Trying to conquer the classics while staying current. Recently finished Y:, Preacher Vol1, Sandman Vol1, and The Filth.

In no specific order:
  1. Black Science TP1
  2. Manifest Destiny TP1
  3. Lazarus #5 - current (Wasn't totally feeling it)
  4. Transmetropolitan
  5. Fatale #6 - current (I'm a sucker for noir + old gold, but the first arch didn't blow me away)
  6. Ronin
  7. Nowhere Men TP1
  8. Original Sin 1/2 (not huge on capes, but wanted to grab this just because)
  9. Elektra: Assassin
  10. Rat Queens TP1

WATXM starts off pretty much perfectly. There's a lot of levity, a lot of great character moments, some solid drama, and it stays within its own confines, comic-crossoverwise, for the first 8 or so issues. Then it gets dragged into that AvX bullshit and takes a hit in every department for a long time. So long, I never even finished the damn series.

The story arcs after the first one were very hit or miss. I hated the circus arc so much, but toward the end, the Hellfire Academy story was pretty fun. But overall, I don't know if it's really worth it. A lot of the arcs were pretty ho-hum.

arkon

So, speaking of instocktrades, is volume 8 of the TMNT ongoing not up on there? It's not out yet of course, but it's a mid-June release, and at least some preorders must go up (have the back half of the Immortal Iron Fist collection in my cart and that doesn't release for another week I believe). Part of the problem is that TMNT doesn't search too well on their site (IE stuff alternates being tagged as TMNT or Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, amongst other issues) so maybe I'm just having trouble seeing it? Or will I have to wait a bit?

Also, thinking I'll order the 2012 annual in the non-hardcover edition. I mean, it's like 20 bucks cheaper and it's not going to fit in properly with my collection either way, so why not? I'm guessing it'll just be a plus sized floppy?

Found this. Just searched using the product code from solicits as in this page

Amazon.ca has it scheduled for a June 10 release :/

I've always wanted to check it out, but I never got around to it. Figured I'd grab the TPB, and the new Sabrina series sounded awesome too.

You can get it tomorrow if you get it at a comic shop. Otherwise yes, Amazon usually gets things a week later.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Comic-Gaf I am quasi comic-ignorant. I keep buying books to catch up on years
of missing this medium, so now I have a growing backlog. What should
I prioritize from below? What would you recommend? Phonogram looked interesting so I just ordered the first volume. Trying to conquer the classics while staying current. Recently finished Y:, Preacher Vol1, Sandman Vol1, and The Filth.

In no specific order:
  1. Black Science TP1
  2. Manifest Destiny TP1
  3. Lazarus #5 - current (Wasn't totally feeling it)
  4. Transmetropolitan
  5. Fatale #6 - current (I'm a sucker for noir + old gold, but the first arch didn't blow me away)
  6. Ronin
  7. Nowhere Men TP1
  8. Original Sin 1/2 (not huge on capes, but wanted to grab this just because)
  9. Elektra: Assassin
  10. Rat Queens TP1

If those first six issues of Fatale didn't sell you, I'm not sure it's worth continuing. You can probably quit. Maybe Brubaker's other stuff would be more up your alley than this Lovecraftian story.

I would totally support giving Transmetropolitan a try. I thought Nowhere Men was really cool too.

Owzers

The story arcs after the first one were very hit or miss. I hated the circus arc so much, but toward the end, the Hellfire Academy story was pretty fun. But overall, I don't know if it's really worth it. A lot of the arcs were pretty ho-hum.

Yup, it's hard to drop $50 on something you liked the beginning and end of but not the middle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom