• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| June 2014. Bringing you great father-son bonding moments since 1940.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dead

well not really...yet
Any anatomy issues? Hearing Liefield makes me think green water, hoofed feet, and women without intestines.
The art is nothing like him. It's very raw, but detailed when it needs to be, and the variety in designs is huge. It's a beautiful and unique looking book. The artist is definitely on my radar now.

The art is nothing like him. It's very raw, but detailed when it needs to be, and the variety in designs is huge. It's a beautiful and unique looking book. The artist is definitely on my radar now.

If you like Campbell's art, you should check out his slightly bizarre graphic novel series, Wet Moon.

Zombine

Banned
I'm ashamed to ask, but what is Sandman?

I've heard of it, never knew what it was even about.

I use a ton of hyperbole, but Sandman is truly a work of art. It's literature in comic form written by one of the literary treasures of our age, Neil Gaiman.

It's the story of Morpheus, and various plot points. To dig further would ruin the story.

It's one of those books where I just dropped $180 bucks on it and I feel like I got it for a bargain. Just buy them.

Supergirl was a great brawler of an issue. Kara vs. The Worldkiller. Epic action and gorgeous Lupacchino artwork.

Zl2hXR7.jpg

I have a fondness for people getting cratered. I think I can blame DBZ for that.

Vyer

Wait, so this means that Wicked and Divine has the same kind of tone/characters? Or the opposite, which is why I'd like it?

The one thing that's bothering me about Original Sin is
Bucky straight up murdering that Nick Fury LMD. I mean, Secret Avengers and Avengers A.I. just established that LMDs are forms of life, not just mechanical constructs. The Fury LMD certainly acted/reacted like a real person, but Bucky jsut ruthlessly destroyed it. I hope Aaron picks up on this, but he probably won't, which will lead to Age of Ultron 2: Electric Boogaloo.

Yeah, also thought his actions in general over those two issues just seemed a little too forced for the sake of the cliffhanger.

Espi

Banned
I use a ton of hyperbole, but Sandman is truly a work of art. It's literature in comic form written by one of the literary treasures of our age, Neil Gaiman.

It's the story of Morpheus, and various plot points. To dig further would ruin the story.

It's one of those books where I just dropped $180 bucks on it and I feel like I got it for a bargain. Just buy them.

that's the post that made me decide to ask

seeing someone drop $180 on two books. I'm always hesitant when it comes to purchases over a certain amount.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

seeing someone drop $180 on two books. I'm always hesitant when it comes to purchases over a certain amount.

It is absolutely worth it, Sandman is probably the best comic ever written. I'm not being hyperbolic there or anything, it's that good. Name your favorite comic. Sandman's better than it.

Zombine

Banned

You rightfully should be. That's a ton of money to drop on something that you may or may not enjoy. Sandman is one of those books like Preacher or Watchmen that has transcended our medium and secured itself on must read lists. Every word is sincere and the narrative is flawlessly woven page to page.

I don't think that the book is for everyone, but if you are a thinking man, and a fan of the medium, it has to be read multiple times.

kswiston

The series is 75 issues, and unlike current "takes 5 minutes to read" decompressed comics, most issues of Sandman are pretty dense. As such, you will get a lot of reading out of that $180.

I can't think of any other comics that have the scope that Sandman has while maintaining its level of quality writing and characterization.

kswiston

Planetary, Transmetropolitan, Watchmen, Sin City, ect. It's a super exclusive club.

I haven't read Transmet past the first arc for some reason, but out of the rest, only Watchmen approaches the same character sophistication, and that didn't have to keep things going for 75 issues. As much as I love Preacher, the second half is definitely padded out, and some of the characters start to suffer from the same thing that long running sitcoms do where they start to shift into caricatures of themselves. Sandman never felt like that. It was extremely cohesive. I could maybe pick out 4-5 one and done issues that I could take or leave, but most of it is amazing.

Also, bonus points to Sandman for being the only thing on your list that spends as much time developing its female characters as it does the males.

I...haven't read Sandman either. I should get those Omnibuses one of these days.

I got this yesterday:

Holy crap, this shit is insanity!

The stuff I'm seeing in this book looks like nothing else I've seen in a long time. Total chaos.
I absolutely adore how Campbell draws the TMNT (Specially whenever he draws them without the mask on), I need this book in my veins.

I'm sorry :(. I knew someone else would explain it so I was just joking around. I Wouldn't be much use explaining it seeing as I quit reading it after the second trade. It wasn't for me.

The thought of someone writing 2000+ story pages about that Sandman is the stuff of nightmares, Messi.

I absolutely adore how Campbell draws the TMNT (Specially whenever he draws them without the mask on), I need this book in my veins.

The great thing about Campbell's art is how diverse he is at drawing all kinds of different body types. It's the kind of thing not many artists truly excel at.

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
It is absolutely worth it, Sandman is probably the best comic ever written. I'm not being hyperbolic there or anything, it's that good. Name your favorite comic. Sandman's better than it.

Obviously you forgot about Cyclops.

Just read Supergirl 28-32 and I'm surprised how much I liked it. Has this writer ever done anything else that is notable. I mean it's not the most impressive scripts but is engaging enough to care.

Dead

well not really...yet
I...haven't read Sandman either. I should get those Omnibuses one of these days.

is he the main artist on TMNT?

Ive been waiting for hardcover edition of it to be released. i dont want to spend the money on 4 issue TPBs...

edit: just found out 12 issue OHCs are starting this October...sweet (link)

Cheska

Ive been waiting for hardcover edition of it to be released. i dont want to spend the money on 4 issue TPBs...

DAMNIT! Right after I ordered all the TPB's thus far.

Dead

well not really...yet
DAMNIT! Right after I ordered all the TPB's thus far.
Includes the first 12 issues, plus the Micro-Series Raphael, Mikey, Don, Leo and Splinter issues. 17 total.

Glad I waited lol. Was starting to think they would never release it as such.

OHCs for me are the most comfortable reading experience, I usually only buy those, though I made an exception for the Black Science TPB (tho ill probably rebuy it in OHC anyway if they release it)

Oh, I have a question for anyone who can answer.... I can't decide whether to pick up the Invisibles omnibus or wait for the Morrison Doom Patrol omnibus in July. Which was the better story?

Also, Sin City omnibus next week! Alias omnibus in September! HYPE!

Damn, and it comes with the microseries, that's awesome.

Awesome series

Jedeye Sniv

Banned

That motherfucker be crazy though, buying massive inferior books when common sense trades are easily available :p

My Sandman pitch:

Morpheus is the king of dreams and this is his fucked up family. By turns hilarious, horrifying and heartbreaking. Pretty much the closest comics have come to actual literature.

Okay guys. I rereaded 2 times the first issue of Cyclops. Then i read the second issue. And now it got me. Maybe the first issue wasnt made for a guy like me.

I want to read a team up book that isn't X-Men. I have both Uncanny Avengers and Avengers #1's, I really enjoyed both of em but don't know which to stick with. I find Uncanny cool having some mutants in it, but on the other hand I really like the OG Avengers squad.

Messi

I read the first issue of the 3 issue mini Harley and Ivy by Paul Dini. Paul Dini just knows how to write Harley. He is easily her best writer in my eyes. It reads like a lost side story in Batman TAS. It nails what makes the Harley and Ivy relationship so special, the fact that Harley is a devoted friend who is trying everything to help her friends out even if she doesn't think things through. Even when she screws things up it doesn't stop her from trying to fix things. When it comes to Ivy Harley doesn't have a selfish bone in her body.

Zombine

Banned
Can't disagree with that. Wish he would have a DC ongoing again. Maybe Catwoman. Oh my.

That would be too perfect. DC would never let it happen. As a consolation prize I would take a Catwoman OHC by Dini that is only 60 pages but takes 10 years to come out.

phoenixyz

We start posting lists on friday now? Has science gone too far?

Also, I finally finished reading this weeks comics:
Alex + Ada, I don't know, the story is paced well if you read it back to back, but the monthly comic schedule means it feels like it's just crawling along. Also the art becomes harder and harder to bear the more invested you become.

Batman and Ra's al Ghul, awesome, best issue of B&R since the Two-Face arc. Gleason's art really stands and falls with the coloring and in this issue it's just stellar. And the reveal at the end was just the right amount of wtf.

Batman Eternal, story-wise this is one of my favorite issues of Eternal so far but the art made it feel like it happens in some bizarro-parallel-dimension.

Harley Quinn, the situational and image gags were the best about this issue. The overall story was rather meh, liked the Syborg adventure much more.

The Manhattan Projects, the writing feels more and more "liberated", embracing the ridiculousness of the premise. Probably my favourite issue so far (heavily contested by the
adventures of badass-Einstein
in #19).

The Punisher, feels like a filler issue where not much is happening. Art is still nice though.

Sex Criminals, really good considering the whole issue is pretty much just setup for the second story arc. It still oozes the same charm of the first five issues so I'm happy.

The Wicked + The Divine, weeelll, it's an intriguing start. The characters didn't connect to me at all though. Let's see where this goes, I'm not as hyped up as most ComicGAFians.

Don't go to college like me and avoid all debt!
Or just don't do it in the US
;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom