• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| June 2014. Bringing you great father-son bonding moments since 1940.

Status
Not open for further replies.

tim1138

Wooo first post on NeoGAF!!!

;)

I've been stalking this thread since February 2013 (which is also the exact month when I started reading comics!), to the point that I think I've read every single post you guys have written in the past 6 months or so. That includes every single word Messi has written about Catwoman, so I thought it would only be appropriate if I made my NeoGAF debut in this thread ;)

The comics you guys've been pimping have yet to disappoint me and I wanted to thank everyone who recommended Planetary. I bought the omnibus, read the entire main story (still have those specials to go through) and found it absolutely wonderful. From the short exchange that ends the first issue you know it's something special, but the point I really fell in love with it was
Ambrose holding his daughter in his arms and saying "World, this is my daughter. I want you two to be good to each other, because it's a strange world out there and you both need all the help you can get."
That has to be one of the most beautiful and touching scenes I've seen in any story.

Welcome to the madhouse!

Great choice in Planetary, I championed that book quite a bit last year at this time and was thrilled to see so many people give it a shot. It's just a great comic all around.

Filthy Slug said:
Haha, that reveal was so great it got you interested in future Tomasi/Gleason stuff and me interested in past Kirby stuff.

And yeah, you need to check out that Tomasi/Bertram Detective 27 story--it felt slept on, and that ain't right, because it's just really fucking good and really came out of nowhere. Definitely stole the show.

That's the power of good comics man, getting people to check out new stuff.

I've been looking to get into comics after a long hiatus and I figured I might as well buy some next week since I hear Johns is taking over Superman and Supes is my favorite hero. Anything you guys suggest I should pick up next week? I don't discriminate b/w the big two and the smaller guys.

I've been looking to get into comics after a long hiatus and I figured I might as well buy some next week since I hear Johns is taking over Superman and Supes is my favorite hero. Anything you guys suggest I should pick up next week? I don't discriminate b/w the big two and the smaller guys.
Wonder woman is great, it's one of the best drawn comics, and a great cast of god/demi-god characters.

tim1138

That panel was one of the most "wut" inducing things I've read in awhile, and considering some of the happenings in Manhattan Projects that's saying a lot.

Chinner

Banned
theres a debate/controversy on CBR forums regarding original sin #4.
people are angry/upset that bucky insulted the punisher and his family
lolz

Because half-naked ladies in cosplay.

Really, the main reason I want to go is for figures and art prints. You hardly ever see the good shit online.

Yeah, I hear you.

If you can ever swing it though, go Heroes Con. Just check Twitter right now for it and see all the rad shit being made there this weekend.

Wish I was there. :(

Boogiepop

Okay, final decision for my friend's birthday, which I posted about and waffled back and forth in on here multiple times already. I've settled on the Planetary Omnibus on you guys raving about it, plus Flex Mentallo (ditto the previous). If I go paperback on that instead of hardcover I can justify one more $8-10 item. Any suggestions for a strong standalone in that price range? Or am I better/should I really go "deluxe hardcover"?

Zombine

Banned
Because half-naked ladies in cosplay.

One of which will be my girlfriend. I'm gonna knock this costume out of the ballpark.

Also, my 3 days will be spent doing various things. The convention center isn't a cell lol

Edit:The only way kd-z will be my enemy is if he shit talks Velvet.

tim1138

Okay, final decision for my friend's birthday, which I posted about and waffled back and forth in on here multiple times already. I've settled on the Planetary Omnibus on you guys raving about it, plus Flex Mentallo (ditto the previous). If I go paperback on that instead of hardcover I can justify one more $8-10 item. Any suggestions for a strong standalone in that price range? Or am I better/should I really go "deluxe hardcover"?

The hardcover of Flex is super nice, I haven't seen the paperback though. If you pick up another book I'd recommend volume 1 of Zero, Manhattan Projects, or the Joshua Dysart Unknown Soldier.

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
Wow. Waid's Daredevil is continuing to completely blow me away. The thing that's standing out to me the most is the art, but the writing is just as incredible. The plot, pacing, and dialogue have all been phenomenal.

But oh man. I just read #4 with Marcos Martin on art duties. I absolutely love his style. It reminds me a lot of the art from Miller's Daredevil run, except it still has a modern edge to it (probably because of modern inking and coloring techniques/sensibilities).
Martin just nails that sort of old-fashioned straightforwardness of the action panels.

in3cm93wLJ7wR.jpg

And the detail and energy in even this tiny panel had me staring for a good 20 seconds:

And I just realized that he's the one who did the art for the first five issues of BKV's Private Eye. I definitely need to read that soon.

So anyways, can I claim the role of "collected edition Bii"? (Fair warning: I don't have digital codes to give out for my books, unfortunately.)

Boogiepop

Realized I never got him Batman: Year One Hundred, which I heard was great a while back. That a good choice alongside what I have? All I need is confirmation and I'll pull the trigger.

Was that an older series? Because I loved the shit out of the more recent Hickman Secret Warriors.

No, it was Hickman's series. Gugliotta drew one issue and I've been scarred for life ever since.

And apparently Wimberly is coming back next issue for She-Hulk...I guess I'll read the rest on Wikipedia or something.

Life is too short and my pull list is too big to suffer through godawful art anymore.

No, it was Hickman's series. Gugliotta drew one issue and I've been scarred for life ever since.

ooh, yeah. I just flipped through the omnibus. I saw it. :eek:

And apparently Wimberly is coming back next issue for She-Hulk...

Dropped.

Honestly, I wasn't really enjoying the book as much as I'd have liked anyhow. It had some fun moments, but overall it just wasn't doing it for me the way Ms. Marvel does.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face

And apparently Wimberly is coming back next issue for She-Hulk...I guess I'll read the rest on Wikipedia or something.

Life is too short and my pull list is too big to suffer through godawful art anymore.

I know everybody wants to stay away from criticizing people for their tastes in artists, but my man, the only thing godawful here is your opinion on Ron Wimberly.

Just read Silver Surfer 3 that Cheska gave away on here and I really liked it. Damn comics being such a cool and fun hobby yet being so expensive. I would quadruple my pull if I could.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom