• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| June 2014. Bringing you great father-son bonding moments since 1940.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm reading Batman and Robin Volume 3 at the moment.
Just read the issue where Damian sends Bruce on a journey around Europe and it hit me in the feels. The feels.

I'm reading Batman and Robin Volume 3 at the moment.
Just read the issue where Damian sends Bruce on a journey around Europe and it hit me in the feels. The feels.

That really was a great issue (The Annual if I am not mistaken?). Tomasi really has handled that series with a deft, skillful hand; It may not always be top of the radar with most people, but he has been consistently good to great. And those feels.

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
Oh, I have a question for anyone who can answer.... I can't decide whether to pick up the Invisibles omnibus or wait for the Morrison Doom Patrol omnibus in July. Which was the better story?

Also, Sin City omnibus next week! Alias omnibus in September! HYPE!

Sin City is next week already!? For some reason I kept thinking it was mid-July or something. Awesooome. So looking forward to that.

Also, I'm curious to know what people think in regards to the Invisibles vs. Doom Patrol question too.
I really need to read The Invisibles soon.

Also, I don't really know enough about Doom Patrol to actually want to read it, though I consciously know that I'd love it because it's Morrison and people say it's great. On the one hand, I'm tempted to grab it on release if it's 50% off on IST, since that's the cheapest it'll ever be and I feel like I'll want it eventually. On the other hand, it's so expensive...

That really was a great issue (The Annual if I am not mistaken?). Tomasi really has handled that series with a deft, skillful hand; It may not always be top of the radar with most people, but he has been consistently good to great. And those feels.

What's your avatar?

Sin City is next week already!? For some reason I kept thinking it was mid-July or something. Awesooome. So looking forward to that.

Also, I'm curious to know what people think in regards to the Invisibles vs. Doom Patrol question too.

Also, I don't really know enough about Doom Patrol to actually want to read it, though I consciously know that I'd love it because it's Morrison and people say it's great. On the one hand, I'm tempted to grab it on release if it's 50% off on IST, since that's the cheapest it'll ever be and I feel like I'll want it eventually. On the other hand, it's so expensive...

Invisibles is better, but you really need to read Doom Patrol too.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned

I know I say this about omnibus editions a lot but this goes doubly for Doom Patrol - just buy vol 1 of the trades and see if you like it. Doom Patrol is aggressively weird and dense and you might actually hate it. However, it's fucking amazing and you'd be wrong about that.

In essence it's about a group of superpowered folks each with their own specific mental or physical damage. When the series starts they are broken people, and part of the joy in the series is seeing them grow, heal and fall apart again. It has a very memorable cast of characters and some of the weirdest and scariest villains you'll ever see. It's hilarious, confusing, sweet and it has one of the all time greatest twists near the end that will leave you shaking.

But seriously, just get vol 1 and see if you like it. Then buy vol 2. Then vol 3. etc

tim1138

I know I say this about omnibus editions a lot but this goes doubly for Doom Patrol - just buy vol 1 of the trades and see if you like it. Doom Patrol is aggressively weird and dense and you might actually hate it. However, it's fucking amazing and you'd be wrong about that.

In essence it's about a group of superpowered folks each with their own specific mental or physical damage. When the series starts they are broken people, and part of the joy in the series is seeing them grow, heal and fall apart again. It has a very memorable cast of characters and some of the weirdest and scariest villains you'll ever see. It's hilarious, confusing, sweet and it has one of the all time greatest twists near the end that will leave you shaking.

But seriously, just get vol 1 and see if you like it. Then buy vol 2. Then vol 3. etc

The Scissormen are still some of my favorite villains. That opening arc with them is so, so good.

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
Rad. I almost bought this on Wednesday but decided against it, guess I made the right choice.

I also see Comixology is having a Deadpool sale. Got excited and then I saw... It's all from Daniel Way... I'll pass lol

So i came in here to ask if the Comixology Deadpool bundle was worth getting, as I haven't read any Deadpool at all, and looks like I got my answer! I take it the Daniel Way run was crap?

Anyone know when the next Hawkeye trade is supposed to be released?

Amazon has it set for the end of August, but it's been a while since the last issue so it's probably gonna be pushed back.

There's been a lot of delays with the series unfortunately. Which sucks cause the last Clint issue had a big cliffhanger.

In the mean time, buy Superior Foes of Spider-Man Volume 1!

Halo 2

Banned
Amazon has it set for the end of August, but it's been a while since the last issue so it's probably gonna be pushed back.

There's been a lot of delays with the series unfortunately. Which sucks cause the last Clint issue had a big cliffhanger.

I'll pick it up today since I just decided to go get caught up with hawkeye, screw waiting!

Messi

What a complete train wreck Hawkeye has turned into. I bought the first two trades on my holidays last year in July when I was getting back into comics and now I'm going on holidays again a year later and the third trade still isn't out.

What a complete train wreck Hawkeye has turned into. I bought the first two trades on my holidays last year in July when I was getting back into comics and now I'm going on holidays again a year later and the third trade still isn't out.

Yeah the delay suck, but I still love the book whenever a new issue DOES come out. I really dug the Kate issues.

ReAxion

my WicDiv DCBS-exclusive order hasn't shipped because they haven't gotten the bag & board I ordered with it.

V1cAq9m.gif

Tizoc

Batman and Ra'as Al-ghul #2
WTF AT THAT ENDING MAN!

Wicked and Divine #1
Good issue and nice art, looking forward to the next.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
What do you guys think of the new Moon Knight? 1-4

Excellent one-and-done stories with some incredible art.

Some people believe that you're paying for blank, white pages when you purchase this book.

Hellers

My theory is that Original Sin is a really clever way to bring back Nextwave and install Dirk Anger to his rightful place as Director of Shield. Old Man Nick has had his job too long. Time for young blood

Kipp

Firstly, that was a great line regarding Morrison's work: "Doom Patrol is aggressively weird and dense and you might actually hate it. However, it's fucking amazing and you'd be wrong about that."
Very well said. Hahaha

Regarding the omnibus/TPB situation, I really enjoy a giant hardcover, and when the TPBs would come out to basically the same price as the omnibus, it'd be really hard for me to not just go for the omnibus. I have very little doubt that I'd love it, so I don't think it'd be much of a risk at all. The main thing is just spending the cash on it. In which case, I'd still rather just rip the bandaid off and buy the whole omnibus rather than having to choose to spend cash on each TPB six different times. Haha

Your description of it (and Birdie, Tim, and Slug's talk) has got me really wanting to read it, so now I'm just hoping when it comes out I'll be feeling a little loose with my money. Haha

Kipp

Thank you all for talking up Ian Bertram's art in Batman Eternal #11... I've never seen his stuff before but now I'm in love. Looks like I'll have to pick a copy up, as well as Detective Comics #27 (if I can find it).

Dude is amazing.

It does look absolutely fantastic. I think I'll probably get that Batman Eternal TPB so I'll be able to check out his issue(s).
Totally didn't realize it was the same guy who did that part of Tec #27 though. I remember when that came out someone posted some of the pages from his section and I looked him up and was super disappointed that he didn't seem to have anything else out.

Also, speaking of Tec #27, are the issues of Detective Comics #25-29 (excluding #27) good? #27 is being collected in a TPB with those issues. I'd like to read it, but don't necessarily want to buy the TPB if the other issues suck.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
Thank you all for talking up Ian Bertram's art in Batman Eternal #11... I've never seen his stuff before but now I'm in love. Looks like I'll have to pick a copy up, as well as Detective Comics #27 (if I can find it).

Dude is amazing.
That story in Detective #27 blew me away, especially that gorgeous splash page. I know people were hyped about the Snyder/Murphy Batman story but, as usual between Snyder and Tomasi, Tomasi absolutely dominated.

It does look absolutely fantastic. I think I'll probably get that Batman Eternal TPB so I'll be able to check out his issue(s).
Totally didn't realize it was the same guy who did that part of Tec #27 though. I remember when that came out someone posted some of the pages from his section and I looked him up and was super disappointed that he didn't seem to have anything else out.

Also, speaking of Tec #27, are the issues of Detective Comics #25-29 (excluding #27) good? #27 is being collected in a TPB with those issues. I'd like to read it, but don't necessarily want to buy the TPB if the other issues suck.

Look for just Detective 27. It's a hefty issue and shouldn't be too hard to find. Also, you won't have to buy the crap issues surrounding it if you just get 27.

Kipp

Just buy #27 if you can, it's basically a mini-trade, it even has a spine! I never buy floppies but I made an exception for that one.

Just checked Ebay, and with shipping it'd be cheaper to just pick up the trade. That is very cool though that the floppy has a spine!

Also, while checking Ebay, I found this hilarious listing for a copy of #27: http://www.ebay.com/itm/DETECTIVE-C...9566583?pt=US_Comic_Books&hash=item2ed3107477

Not only is it a DC book signed by Stan Lee, and not only does the description say "Frank Miller" cover when it's actually Capullo, but it has 13 bids and is going for $89.00. Incredible.

That story in Detective #27 blew me away, especially that gorgeous splash page. I know people were hyped about the Snyder/Murphy Batman story but, as usual between Snyder and Tomasi, Tomasi absolutely dominated.

Look for just Detective 27. It's a hefty issue and shouldn't be too hard to find. Also, you won't have to buy the crap issues surrounding it if you just get 27.

Just picked this up. Dunno how I slept on it. Yeah, the Snyder and Tomasi joints are total jaw droppers.

kd-z

Wooo first post on NeoGAF!!!

;)

I've been stalking this thread since February 2013 (which is also the exact month when I started reading comics!), to the point that I think I've read every single post you guys have written in the past 6 months or so. That includes every single word Messi has written about Catwoman, so I thought it would only be appropriate if I made my NeoGAF debut in this thread ;)

The comics you guys've been pimping have yet to disappoint me and I wanted to thank everyone who recommended Planetary. I bought the omnibus, read the entire main story (still have those specials to go through) and found it absolutely wonderful. From the short exchange that ends the first issue you know it's something special, but the point I really fell in love with it was
Ambrose holding his daughter in his arms and saying "World, this is my daughter. I want you two to be good to each other, because it's a strange world out there and you both need all the help you can get."
That has to be one of the most beautiful and touching scenes I've seen in any story.

tim1138

I never did get Tec #27, I'll have to rectify that this weekend.

I cut a bunch of stuff from list, so I'm jumping aboard the B&R Robin Rises crazy train. The reveal in this month's issue sold me on it.

Messi

We don't talk about Catwoman enough if you ask me.

Welcome Kd-z, how do you feel about Harley Quinn? Need to file you into the correct list.

Owzers

We don't talk about Catwoman enough if you ask me.

Welcome Kd-z, how do you feel about Harley Quinn? Need to file you into the correct list.

Catwoman and Harley need to be filtered out of comic-gaf next month Xo

Potato

who are giving out free detective 27 in july?

Filthy Slug

I never did get Tec #27, I'll have to rectify that this weekend.

I cut a bunch of stuff from list, so I'm jumping aboard the B&R Robin Rises crazy train. The reveal in this month's issue sold me on it.

Haha, that reveal was so great it got you interested in future Tomasi/Gleason stuff and me interested in past Kirby stuff.

And yeah, you need to check out that Tomasi/Bertram Detective 27 story--it felt slept on, and that ain't right, because it's just really fucking good and really came out of nowhere. Definitely stole the show.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom