• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| June 2014. Bringing you great father-son bonding moments since 1940.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
I'm slowly collecting the HCs, usually as gifts though. I plan on rereading them all once they're all out

Bryan Lee O'Malley is signing at a Barnes & Noble on the day it comes out, but he's also signing at SDCC a few days later, and there are exclusive covers for both. decisions decisions

Barnes and Nobles where?

Wicked and the Divine is fantastic. That said, if you didn't care for either Phonogram or Young Avengers, it's probably not for you.

Anyone read the new Uncanny X-Men? I know it's not news that Bendis sucks at plotting, but Christ, that just might be the worst Masked Mystery Villain reveal I've ever read in a superhero comic. It's as though he lost interest in that plot halfway through writing it and couldn't even be bothered to pretend otherwise.

Vibranium

Banned
Wicked and the Divine is fantastic. That said, if you didn't care for either Phonogram or Young Avengers, it's probably not for you.

Anyone read the new Uncanny X-Men? I know it's not news that Bendis sucks at plotting, but Christ, that just might be the worst Masked Mystery Villain reveal I've ever read in a superhero comic. It's as though he lost interest in that plot halfway through writing it and couldn't even be bothered to pretend otherwise.

All I know is that I am getting #18 and #19 of the Bendis Guardians of the Galaxy only to support Richard Rider and Star-Lord in the awesome DnA costume (I hope he gets the helmet at the very end of the GotG movie). Also, I heard a rumor about the ending of the movie the suggests very good things for fans.

I hope Bendis is off the book by next year and a Rich title materializes.

I know a lot of people on here have been blown away by Ian Bertram on Batman Eternal despite his inability to draw dismemberments and poor crosshatching skills. Just wanted to point out that homie had another book come out this week through the Comixology Submit program, called Bowery Boys. It's basically a packaged edition of the webcomic he's doing with Cory Levine.

All I know is that I am getting #18 and #19 of the Bendis Guardians of the Galaxy only to support Richard Rider and Star-Lord in the awesome DnA costume (I hope he gets the helmet at the very end of the GotG movie). Also, I heard a rumor about the ending of the movie the suggests very good things for fans.

I hope Bendis is off the book by next year and a Rich title materializes.

Other than a dubious rumor that isn't even about the comics, there's nothing to support the notion that Rich Rider will be alive again after the Original Sin arc.

There's nothing to disprove it, either, AFAIK, but you probably shouldn't do this to yourself.

Also, Bendis can't even keep track of his own continuity, so I'm curious how badly he'll mangle a story that different writers did four years ago.

Welcome to Wicked and Divine #1, man.

Wait, so this means that Wicked and Divine has the same kind of tone/characters? Or the opposite, which is why I'd like it?

Really enjoying Original Sin. based Aaron.
though the Winter Soldier stuff was a little crazy there for a minute

The one thing that's bothering me about Original Sin is
Bucky straight up murdering that Nick Fury LMD. I mean, Secret Avengers and Avengers A.I. just established that LMDs are forms of life, not just mechanical constructs. The Fury LMD certainly acted/reacted like a real person, but Bucky jsut ruthlessly destroyed it. I hope Aaron picks up on this, but he probably won't, which will lead to Age of Ultron 2: Electric Boogaloo.

Arksy

So just got through the first four or five issues of Velvet. Incredible!

When I asked for recommendations it seemed that a lot of the indie comics people recommended were things that have just started or are really early into their runs like Saga and Velvet and Rat Queens...

Is there anything that's a bit deeper into their runs? Or even finished in the same sort of indie category? I haven't read comics for years so even if they're a bit older I don't mind, I just want good comics/stories!

When I asked for recommendations it seemed that a lot of the indie comics people recommended were things that have just started or are really early into their runs like Saga and Velvet and Rat Queens...

Is there anything that's a bit deeper into their runs? Or even finished in the same sort of indie category? I haven't read comics for years so even if they're a bit older I don't mind, I just want good comics/stories!

I don't know if I would consider Saga to be all that "early" in its run. It's coming up on 20 issues now, which is almost two years in. Anyway, if you want something further along than that, try Invincible, Chew, or the Walking Dead if you haven't yet. Or Elephantmen if you like pulp sci-fi.

tim1138

Check out Planetary, it is absolutely brilliant and has concluded.

Messi

Y The Last Man

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward

My recommendations for completed indie books would be Fear Agent and Life and Times of Martha Washington in the Twenty-First Century. Both are super good. Lots of other people here can vouch for Fear Agent, but because nobody is willing to give Martha Washington a chance, only me and ecoshifting can vouch for that one. I highly recommend both though.
They also both come in very nice collected editions. The Fear Agent run is collected in two very cheaply priced massive hardcovers and Martha Washington is collected in a single really nice, high-quality paperback.

Oh, and The Black Beetle by Francesco Francavilla is a super amazing miniseries.

Edit: Oh, and Scalped! Scalped is incredibly good and completed. It's only collected in a bunch of small TPBs right now though, so you might want to wait for the deluxe editions that are coming out.

Zombine

Banned
It's no Cyclops though.

I'm tempted to give Velvet the binding treatment it deserves. I may even make it look like some sort of "classified" document instead of putting "Velvet" on the cover. I legitimately enjoy Velvet more than James Bond.

Messi

My goodness the upcoming covers for Wicked are amazing

tumblr_n4ftx7JdbQ1tuoa2wo1_500.jpg

tumblr_n5xgrzsXkf1tuoa2wo1_500.jpg

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
My goodness the upcoming covers for Wicked are amazing

I really like how in general the covers of a lot of the big Image comics tend to be variations on a theme.
Manhattan Projects, East of West, and Sex Criminals (though mostly the first few issues) come immediately to mind.
...So maybe it's just more of a Hickman thing. Haha

ReAxion

I really like how in general the covers of a lot of the big Image comics tend to be variations on a theme.
Manhattan Projects, East of West, and Sex Criminals (though mostly the first few issues) come immediately to mind.
...So maybe it's just more of a Hickman thing. Haha

I keep seeing this on Comixology and thinking for a fraction of a second that there was a secret EoW that came out.

there's an unlettered preview for #2 on the wicdiv tumblr. it's not an unlettered cover, tho.
What's the URL for the Wicked and Divine tumblr?

Better yet, what's everyone's name on tumblr? I wanna follow more comicsgaf people and last time I only got one reply!

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
I know, right? McKelvie is selling a set of prints of those covers on his site, but he wants like, 35£ + shipping for the set. Yuck.
Do the prints have the issue numbers on them, because that would be awful and lazy?

Man, I don't know if you guys have took a peak at next weeks release list but holy shit, a bomb is about to be dropped. The bomb is designed to vaporize wallets and minds.

Owzers

I realllllllly don't like this Captain America arc , issue #20 read just now. Iron Nail stuff never stuck, always seemed like "that guy" that complains about America and then cap's like NO MAN THIS IS AMERICA! but there's nothing surrounding that for me to enjoy, Mindbubble can't carry the book as much as i enjoyed the first few pages. If this weren't Remender i'd drop the book, he gets some leeway since the first large arc was good and Uncanny Avengers had a terrible first arc and that book was salvaged too.

Do the prints have the issue numbers on them, because that would be awful and lazy?

Yeah, take a look. Text AND issue numbers. Ugh.

I wanna say they do

dat international shipping, man. 60 for two prints isn't too bad, depending on size. but it's also out of my range for prints

It's not like it isn't affordable, but shit... for that kinda scratch they would have to be the portraits without text or numbers over them. If they did that, I'd buy them all.

ReAxion

I am pretty sure they are going, but they haven't said anything about what they're bringing, AFAIK. FYSC is run by my friend, but was given Chip's stamp of approval because, in his words "[she's] way better at it than we are."

Vibranium

Banned
Other than a dubious rumor that isn't even about the comics, there's nothing to support the notion that Rich Rider will be alive again after the Original Sin arc.

There's nothing to disprove it, either, AFAIK, but you probably shouldn't do this to yourself.

Also, Bendis can't even keep track of his own continuity, so I'm curious how badly he'll mangle a story that different writers did four years ago.

Yes, you may be right. :(

Still, it gives me hope. I feel that the only thing a reader can do to support the character is by buying the issues, no matter how crap they are. I believe in that report though, with the movies universe Marvel will have to force their hand.

It's not like it isn't affordable, but shit... for that kinda scratch they would have to be the portraits without text or numbers over them. If they did that, I'd buy them all.

oh yeah, definitely. I dunno why the numbers are left on. I can kinda see why the text is kept, but the numbers? c'mon

Man, I don't know if you guys have took a peak at next weeks release list but holy shit, a bomb is about to be dropped. The bomb is designed to vaporize wallets and minds.

Ehhh.... I'll be spending about $30 next week, which is more than average to be sure, but I spent $45 yesterday, so it's not as bad as this week.

It depends entirely on what books you read... I mean, there was a week a few months back where I had $100 worth of books drop in a single week. I think it was pretty much my entire pull list at the time that decided to come out on the same day. I don't expect that to ever happen again.

Messi

Ehhh.... I'll be spending about $30 next week, which is more than average to be sure, but I spent $45 yesterday, so it's not as bad as this week.

It depends entirely on what books you read... I mean, there was a week a few months back where I had $100 worth of books drop in a single week. I think it was pretty much my entire pull list at the time that decided to come out on the same day. I don't expect that to ever happen again.

Mine is about $30 using your monopoly money. My average ever since I went digital has come way down and I spend much less. It's much easier to cut books and save money.

I miss reading Image books physically though. That fantastic paper quality :(. But I can't justify bus fare weekly (€10) and then 4.50€ per book vs €2.75 digitally. My store is just robbing people who are excited for indie books.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom