• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| June 2014. Bringing you great father-son bonding moments since 1940.

Status
Not open for further replies.
After almost finishing Dan Slotts Arkham Asylum Living Hell, I just realized an ongoing I would love to read.

Orange is the New Black in Arkham Asylum.

It would be awesome.

MG310

I read 6000 copies is around the break even point for Image creators.

From Brandon Montclare

First of all, I believe one should only pay if you feel you’re getting good entertainment value. If it’s worth $3 to read (and hopefully re-read or pass along to another comics fan), then the creators have earned your support and everyone wins. Regarding single issue sales: they are incredibly important to a lot of Image creators. On Rocket Girl, it’s by far the biggest chunk (of course, we don’t have a tpb yet). And every reader counts. A few thousand copies can make or break a series. If Rocket Girl dips into the 8000s, we’ll start thinking about when to wrap it up. If it stays above 12,000 we can do it forever. At 12,000 copies I can make as much writing Rocket Girl as Hulk; Amy Reeder can make as much penciling/inking/coloring as she would on Batwoman. 8000 vs 12,000 is a significant difference in percentage, but it’s not a huge amount of readers. A lot of Image creators are in the same boat, albeit their individual line might be a bit higher or lower. Certainly collected editions and digital and ancillary media/merchandise contribute as well. But a lot of making creator-owned work is down to financing: and single issues have the biggest impact on cash flow–and the only impact on cash flow for almost a full year when you take into account early production to ‘get ahead’ as well as solicitation. Also: your comment forgets artists, who are forgotten way to much nowadays. A writer can maybe juggle 4 simultaneous projects, but an artist can do just one book at a time. It is much harder for an artist to make the plunge into creator-owned–so consider that when choosing what to support.

Messi

I feel like there has to be a significant advantage for titles that clearly appeal to more digital-embracing audience.

Rat Queens should be fine with it getting a cartoon and such. Then again I'd say Zero is in no danger either.

What are the sales like for Saga and Walking Dead floppies? What was walking dead at its height?

tim1138

Something is going right with Zero, Kot mentioned in an interview a few months back it was optioned for TV and he was working on drafting the pilot.

Something is going right with Zero, Kot mentioned in an interview a few months back it was optioned for TV and he was working on drafting the pilot.

It certainly feels like alot of creators are going into the Image/Indie market explicitly to sell the idea to TV/Movies. Not making a judgement call, on the process, obviously. You can't fault creators wanting to get their stuff to the place where it'll make money. But as a comic reader it can make the source product seem less like a project of passion and more a side diversion.

It certainly feels like alot of creators are going into the Image/Indie market explicitly to sell the idea to TV/Movies. Not making a judgement call, on the process, obviously. You can't fault creators wanting to get their stuff to the place where it'll make money. But as a comic reader it can make the source product seem less like a project of passion and more a side diversion.

Wouldn't creators wanting their ideas reach the widest possible audience be a sign of passion?

Wouldn't creators wanting their ideas reach the widest possible audience be a sign of passion?

I'm talking strictly as a comic reader; If the writer is focused on the TV/Movie stuff, the book itself feels like an afterthought because that isn't where the money is.

Oh wow, good for Saga. Those are great numbers. Where can u see more data like this?

I assumed TWD would have been higher.

Comic Chron Monthly Sales

The last story arc in TWD dragged on for a bit. They probably lost some people on that. It was a 12-issue arc that probably could have been done in half as many issues.

It also had a few peak issues that reached above 100k, if I recall correctly, such as the start of the "All Out War" arc.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise

I don't know about "a lot." There are some big notable names, like Mark Millar and Robert Kirkman, but I think most of these creators are simply happy to make some side money so they can keep working in comics. The people focused on the TV/movie deals above the comic are in the minority, they just happen to be the biggest names in indie comics and the occasional director/screenwriter who turns to comics with the explicit idea of pitching of movie.

Like, I'd say Ales Kot seems to have the right idea.

AT: It’s no secret you have interest from producers and are now writing a pilot script version of Zero. Will it be a straight translation of the first issue or a new story?

AK: Definitely a new story. Although there are a few similarities, I believe that an adaptation for another medium has to be its own thing, a creation that is made with that specific medium in mind. So that’s the rule I’m following, as I have no interest in writing the same thing twice.

tim1138

Speaking of burning Batman, I love this panel from Alan Moore's run on Swamp Thing after Bats unsuccessfully tried to murder Swampy with a flamethrower.

IMG_20140623_131642.jpg

sca2511

I guess The Wicked + The Divine #1 has been selling out? I was out at a Paralympic event on Saturday and decided to pick up #1 and add it to my pull. Many of the LCS around the event were sold out of #1. Finally called my most frequently visited LCS and they had #1 in stock, so I asked them to put it on hold. I was really surprised.

Messi

I guess The Wicked + The Divine #1 has been selling out? I was out at a Paralympic event on Saturday and decided to pick up #1 and add it to my pull. Many of the LCS around the event were sold out of #1. Finally called my most frequently visited LCS and they had #1 in stock, so I asked them to put it on hold. I was really surprised.

It's really good but it's no Cyclops.

I think it's gonna do really well. I mentioned on Wednesday that one of the guys at my shop said they sold a bunch of copies already and I went in around noon.

Skottie Young
Q0l4Mpb.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom