• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| June 2014. Bringing you great father-son bonding moments since 1940.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Superman #32
Trees #2. I read the first issue today, it was dope, great art. Ghost Rider can wait a bit
random back issues
How do you think it made me feel? Shit made my blood boil. Sorry I didn't pay 3.99 to read a domestic abuse comic.
hey... it was 2.99.
i wouldn't pay $.50 for that shit

Just finished reading Superman: The Black Ring volume 1. Maybe I am missing some context but it was very uninteresting. I have no urge to go find the next volume.

Messi

Who knew Messi's rage was so inexpensive? ;)

I've been angrier for much less. But that tie in specifically is some of the most aggressively shit and tone deaf characterization I've ever had the shame of reading. And I read Queen Nocenti's sacred passages each month.

Sentilly

Neo Member
Just finished reading Bee and Puppycat #2, without giving away anything it was sooo good! really beautiful story, i'm sad i'll have to wait a month for the next.

MG310

RE: That new Dazzler costume....it seems incredibly hard to redesign her. She had two classic ones that were tied to the trends of the time and then nothing that has stuck for the last few decades. New Excalibur's pink hair and space cowboy chaps, Bianchi crotchburst, Chris Bachalo's Official large center cutout X-Costume For Ladies in AoA, Shield costume etc.

I do like that Steampunk Disco Thor thing from Age of X though.

Saw this look on google while looking for some of her other costumes and thought it was pretty good...especially since the ipod/headphones could work with her powers. Not into the carefully and intentionally ripped for maximum cool thing though.

tumblr_n7jvn7m7u01qmz7qho1_500.jpg

http://branch56.tumblr.com/

Also found out that Within Temptation is playing at Terminal 5 the 2nd night of NYCC so definitely going to that :D

frye

Dazzler's been outdated since she was created (oh so this disco thing is what kids are into these days, huh? wait, fuck!). It's just part of her character.

besides, disco's cool again

About halfway through Infinite Crisis omnibus and there are some tenuous connections between the series so far but I'm guessing they come together more later on.

Gotta finish this one up so I can move on to 52

Every ninety years, a dozen gods incarnate as humans and then they die two years later. In the meantime, they're treated like pop stars. That's essentially the jist of the series. Of course, from the first issue you can see that comes with a price. There are people who don't believe any of it, and some are downright hostile about it.

Gotcha. Thanks.

add me to the "JLU #2 was boring" train. I'll finish up the arc, but if it doesn't pick up it's dropped. I liked that it was just a competent, fairly decent superteam book that wasn't actually straight up boring.

I did like the first issues of Nailbiter, The Fuse, and Three though. it's a catchup day basically

Doomed you say? Harley and Joker's relationship is Eternal. Whether that's a good or a bad thing is open to interpretation.

I was thinking of getting the DoTF Suicide Squad issues framed. I feel they are deep and powerful and important to the evolution of the Harley Quinn character. Well, this particular Harley anyways. Until she is killed and joins the others and we get a new one.

/poke hornet nest

Messi

I was thinking of getting the DoTF Suicide Squad issues framed. I feel they are deep and powerful and important to the evolution of the Harley Quinn character. Well, this particular Harley anyways. Until she is killed and joins the others and we get a new one.

/poke hornet nest

giphy.gif

ReiGun

/poke hornet nest

iOsbwpMAfz9Hz.gif

My Vacation Comic List!:

BOOM!
BEE AND PUPPYCAT #1 & #2
(I missed out on #1 first printing but have had #2 in my pull box. I'm trying to get the LCS owner to give me a #1 first printing that someone hasn't come to get.)

DC COMICS:
BATMAN #32
BATMAN ETERNAL #12
SUPERMAN #32

IMAGE:
C.O.W.L. #2 (maybe)
DEADLY CLASS #6
DREAM POLICE #3 (maybe)
SAGA #20
TREES #2

MARVEL:
GHOST RIDER #4
AMAZING SPIDER-MAN #3
MS. MARVEL #5

-

I'm getting married this Saturday., Gonna try and hold off and get my comics Friday so I can read em on my way to Las Vegas Tuesday!

Thanks brotha.. yeah she's cool... Haha. I try to get her to check some out,, she's interested in the Sons of Anarchy comics I have.

Hey now, I didn't say like, just tolerate. We gotta be realistic here.

Also, how terrible are the Sons of Anarchy comics? I might get some for my roommate since he watched that show.

Hey now, I didn't say like, just tolerate. We gotta be realistic here.

Also, how terrible are the Sons of Anarchy comics? I might get some for my roommate since he watched that show.

Haha,, touche,, the first arc was pretty good I thought. It was suppose to be a 6 issue mini series but they made it an on-going half way through. I dropped it after #6 when the creative team changed,, I think the letterer in the first 6 issues became the writer lol. Idk how it is after #6. but I liked the first arc

-

Thanks Messi

Saga this week! YAY!

I'm getting like 13 - 14 comics this week, still haven't caught up from the last 2 weeks. Fourth World problems.

*edit*

I just wanted to almost mention that we're getting another Earth GL this week, Jessica Cruz, granted she's technically the replacement Power Ring, but still. The only reason I bring this up, is because out side of Johns books Simon Baz has been a non-entity. His last appearance in a comic that I can recall was Trinity War, seriously it's been almost a year since he was used in a comic.

tim1138

I didn't tell you personally in the thread, but I mentioned it in one of my post.

Ah, I missed that.
I still can't believe Mahnke hasn't picked up another on going since Green Lantern ended last May. He had that short stint on JLA and the random fill in here and there, but that's it.

Filthy Slug said:
The 2.5 Batman and Frankenstein issues make a serious case for how great a Bats and Frank ongoing could be. And get Matt Kindt to write it.

I'm game. Who draws it?
You weren't kidding about the Bats/Ra's fight, that was absolutely brutal.

Messi

While I love the changing art in Zero it us making it very difficult to follow the time line of everything that is going on.

tim1138

Man, Justice League #34 got delayed from August to October (September is gimmick month). Wonder what's behind all the delays, if it's Johns or Reis.

A bit late but list time!

Batman #32
Batman Eternal #12
Saga #20
Trees #2
Amazing Spider-Man #3
Ms Marvel #5
New Avengers #20

I might also pick up Spider-Man Spectacular but getting another $5 Marvel book isn't sitting well with me.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
Ah, I missed that.
I still can't believe Mahnke hasn't picked up another on going since Green Lantern ended last May. He had that short stint on JLA and the random fill in here and there, but that's it.

I'm game. Who draws it?
You weren't kidding about the Bats/Ra's fight, that was absolutely brutal.

I think Alberto Ponticelli draws my favorite Frank, so him as lead artist on the series with, say, Mahnke or Gleason as backup would be my jam.

While I love the changing art in Zero it us making it very difficult to follow the time line of everything that is going on.

I disagree entirely. You can tell which period of time you're in pretty easily depending on which characters are around, what the big event is that's discussed/being played out, and Zero's physical appearance. Obviously you're not always going to know exactly day and date, but it's not difficult to piece together an overall timeline so far with what's offered by the story.

The rotating art and non-linear storyline are two of my favorite aspects of Zero, and Kot is doing things, structurally and artistically, that in the general mainstream comics wouldn't really fly.

Messi

Final list for this week.

Batman #31
Batman Eternal #12
Catwoman #32
Harley Quinn #0 Directors Cut
Superman #32
Chew #42
COWL #2
Deadly Class #6
SAGA #6
All New Ghost Rider #4
Ms Marvel #5
Original Sins #2
Amazing Spider-Man #3

Good week. Excited to see what extra content is in the Director's cut. Lots of good people in that book.

Also SAGA week!

tim1138

I think Alberto Ponticelli draws my favorite Frank, so him as lead artist on the series with, say, Mahnke or Gleason as backup would be my jam.

I disagree entirely. You can tell which period of time you're in pretty easily depending on which characters are around, what the big event is that's discussed/being played out, and Zero's physical appearance. Obviously you're not always going to know exactly day and date, but it's not difficult to piece together an overall timeline so far with what's offered by the story.

The rotating art and non-linear storyline are two of my favorite aspects of Zero, and Kot is doing things, structurally and artistically, that in the general mainstream comics wouldn't really fly.

I think Aaron Lopresti would be a good fit for a Bats/Frank book.

Couldn't agree more on the Zero bit. Despite the wildly differing art styles, there are plenty of contextual clues to know when in the time line an issue is taking place.

Tizoc

Just finished reading Superman: The Black Ring volume 1. Maybe I am missing some context but it was very uninteresting. I have no urge to go find the next volume.

Oh Paul Cornell's short run where he had Lex Luthor tracking a Black Ring. I LOVE that run, great characterization for Luthor and overall good and funny writing.
I hate Lex Luthor BTW.

Oh Paul Cornell's short run where he had Lex Luthor tracking a Black Ring. I LOVE that run, great characterization for Luthor and overall good and funny writing.
I hate Lex Luthor BTW.

That's the one. Would it have been a better read after the Blackest Night event?

I'm going to try and keep myself to 10 books a week now. Let's see how I do.

Got
Batman 32
Eternal 12
Deadly Class 6
Saga 20
Trees 2
Avengers Undercover 6
New Avengers 20
Uncanny Avengers 21
Winter Soldier: Bitter March 5
X-O Manowar 26

Dropped/On Hold/Trade Wait/Sale
Futures End 8
Secret Origins 3
Justice League 31
Sinestro 3
Flash Gordon 3
Cartoon Network Super Secret Crisis War 1
Outcast 1
Doop 3
All New Ghost Rider 4
All New Ultimates 4
Amazing Spider-Man 3
Fantastic Four 6
New Avengers Annual 1
Wolverine 9
X-Force 6
Bravest Warriors 21
Shadowman End Times 3
Ms Marvel 5
Original Sins 2
Original Sins 3.1
Guardians Of The Galaxy 16
Superman 32

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
I think Aaron Lopresti would be a good fit for a Bats/Frank book.

Couldn't agree more on the Zero bit. Despite the wildly differing art styles, there are plenty of contextual clues to know when in the time line an issue is taking place.

I can see Lopresti on that too--he'd be great. I'd like to see what Burnham could do with Frank's look. To be honest, I just want to see Burnham drawing anything right now.

I hate Lex Luthor BTW.

That run was fucking awesome. I mean, Death from Sandman shows up, and it works. Cornell was on top of his game at DC. I feel like he was lobotomized when he switched over to Marvel.

tim1138

I can see Lopresti on that too--he'd be great. I'd like to see what Burnham could do with Frank's look. To be honest, I just want to see Burnham drawing anything right now.

Yeah I really miss seeing Burnham on a monthly basis. Do we know when Nameless launches?

Shin Johnpv said:
Every other N52 launch title will be hitting issue 52 and JL will be hitting #40.

That is the truth. The Forever Evil delays really screwed up its shipping schedule.

I'm getting married this Saturday., Gonna try and hold off and get my comics Friday so I can read em on my way to Las Vegas Tuesday!

Congrats!

Thinking of picking up Justice League again,(Forever Evil stuff)
would this title be the most likely to bring up Bruce and Diana's bond again.

Also I want to see if Spike is ghost writing for Johns

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom