• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| June 2014. Bringing you great father-son bonding moments since 1940.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zombine

Banned
since I lurk this thread more than anywhere else on the forum...this is where I wanted to start.

And not a single Frank Quitely comment?! What's your take on the dude?

Whaaat?

Well, you know what that means! Now you have $500ish more budget to blow on comics!

Apple was in the process of figuring out their new barcode system. The payment never applied to my account.

headshot95

Neo Member
Finished the Joe Kelly Deadpool omnibus today. Really good stuff. Would highly recommend to any Deadpool fans or anybody looking to get into the character.

Now I just need to decide what to read next.

bernardobri

Steve, the dog with no powers that we let hang out with us all for some reason
Javier Saltares, Will Conrad, Eric Nguyen are all in that wheelhouse.

Thanks, I'll check that out. I'm also looking for more personal recommendations, and since I lurk this thread more than anywhere else on the forum...this is where I wanted to start.

Sent you a PM.

So just a reminder, but it seems the Six-Gun Gorilla TPB is finally coming out this week. I picked it up from Barnes & Noble a few weeks ago, but for some reason comic shops haven't gotten it in yet. Everyone needs to buy this.

Messi

So just a reminder, but it seems the Six-Gun Gorilla TPB is finally coming out this week. I picked it up from Barnes & Noble a few weeks ago, but for some reason comic shops haven't gotten it in yet. Everyone needs to buy this.

It's on my USA shopping list. I know nothing about it. But if I don't see a gorilla shooting six guns I am gonna blame you.

ReAxion

I think it was originally supposed to be out June 4, but it got pushed back for some reason I can't find.

It's on my USA shopping list. I know nothing about it. But if I don't see a gorilla shooting six guns I am gonna blame you.

I think it would be more accurate to call it Six-Shooter Gorilla. Not as catchy of a name, tho.

I think it was originally supposed to be out June 4, but it got pushed back for some reason I can't find.

Yeah, but not really. Because as I said, I bought it at Barnes & Noble two weeks ago. It must have been some comic distribution issue. Usually B&N doesn't get new graphic novels until a week later.

It's amazing. Believe me, I didn't give two shits about the premise before I read it.

ReAxion

Yeah, but not really. Because as I said, I bought it at Barnes & Noble two weeks ago. It must have been some comic distribution issue. Usually B&N doesn't get new graphic novels until a week later.

I remember seeing it the week prior on the release list for the day you picked it up, I also found somewhere listing that date using the Diamond code. Still, likely a distribution problem. Maybe all the B&N's got theirs first on accident. :)

I remember seeing it the week prior on the release list for the day you picked it up, I also found somewhere listing that date using the Diamond code. Still, likely a distribution problem. Maybe all the B&N's got theirs first on accident. :)

That could be, too. It's exactly the kind of fuck-up that one would expect from Diamond.

Bee and Puppycat #153?
IT GOTS TO GET TO #100+

Bravest Warriors ain't doing too good. :/
Seems like a really hard sell for a series. Hopefully they can get a boost from there with the newest plot line from the show or something.

yeah, a shame. I'm gonna start picking it up this week though, Kate Leth is raaaaaaaad.

Sanjuro

I think that I pinpointed my issue with modern comics, and why those two comics I selected this week fit the bill.

Both TMNT and Daredevil were drawn in a classic style. Each of the comic boxes, well...were boxes. None of them bled from one image to another. Kind of a throwback, but it makes the comic book soo much cleaner and easier to digest.

Zombine

Banned
Both TMNT and Daredevil were drawn in a classic style. Each of the comic boxes, well...were boxes. None of them bled from one image to another. Kind of a throwback, but it makes the comic book soo much cleaner and easier to digest.

I would say the complete opposite, actually. Older comics lay the exposition on thick. Every minuet detail had to fit Into a thought bubble. You feel like you've been reading for an hour and you just got to page 2.

Well, they both also happen to be great books. That might have something to do with it as well. :)

Sanjuro

I would say the complete opposite, actually. Older comics lay the exposition on thick. Every minuet detail had to fit Into a thought bubble. You feel like you've been reading for an hour and you just got to page 2.

I feel like unorganized art styles not only make the written content harder to flow, but feels like you are too intimate with the action going on visually. Keeping panels self contained is far less chaotic and does not feel like you are zoomed in.

Although, different inkers/artists can be guilty of doing both styles incorrectly. It just seems lately it's done wrong more frequently.

Bee and Puppycat #153?
IT GOTS TO GET TO #100+

Bravest Warriors ain't doing too good. :/
Seems like a really hard sell for a series. Hopefully they can get a boost from there with the newest plot line from the show or something.

Why do people look at the sales of that stuff and not the fact that it's in its TWENTIES. How many failed comics ever make it to double digits?

Yeesh. Be real, people. It would have been cancelled a long time ago if it had been doing shitty. Certainly wouldn't have gotten a bunch of specials.

Numbers are meaningless. All that matters is profitability.

Zombine

Banned
probably cuz it was so boring outside Murphy's art

The panel transition was incredibly strange I thought. The book had no real formula and I would often have to read the same page 3 times to figure it out.

Edit: when I finally find an artist for my book, Marvel will laugh at the pitch, I'll probably make an enemy or two, then it will be canceled. Mission accomplished.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
half of snyder's comics in a nutshell

Are we counting all of the "stories" he comes up with, gets credit for, and then pawns off on his boring ass friends?

If he suddenly came out and said James Tynyman the IVth was writing Superman Unchained, don't think anybody would be shocked.

kswiston

With all the talk that Zero gets on this forum, I would have thought that it would be higher than #250 with 6225 sales last month. GAF must buy half those copies.

MG310

Any opinions on Batman: Death and the Maidens? Getting an IST order together.

Thinking about adding that to

Batwoman Elegy
Rucka Punisher volume 1 HC
Batman Cover to Cover
Frank Quitely artbook
Velvet volume 1.

I got it from amazon this weekend. Which reminds me, I'm completely done with buying trades on amazon. They can't package for shit. Ordered 2 books because they weren't on instocktrades, shipped in separate orders. Six gun has a small ding, and the book that came today was completely bent in half to fit in my apartment mail slot. Instock just keeps earning my money.

Any chances of Guardians of the Galaxy volume 2 being released as a TPB or HC again?

Edit: Ignore my question. Found a pre-order page on Amazon, so I guess they are releasing it.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
I think that I pinpointed my issue with modern comics, and why those two comics I selected this week fit the bill.

That's actually two different issues. You can do classical paneling without old-school blocks of exposition and characters monologuing. The inverse is also entirely possible. The paneling and exposition traits aren't inherently linked.

It's all about the execution, and just as importantly, having the writer and artist on the same page in terms of the approach. Each of these combinations can be equally confusing or effective depending on the execution. You can have a smoothly flowing unconventional paneling system where the reader is still smartly guided through it, or you can have an ad hoc mess of scenarios thrown into a montage image*. Either situation may include sparse dialogue or massive walls of text, that's a mostly separate choice.

Ideally the writer and artist work in concert to make the choices that best support the overall goal of the comic, and then proceed to execute those choices well.

So, uh, anyway... no need to conflate old-school paneling and exposition. That was the trend then, but there's nothing inherently tying them together.

*Of course, sometimes that's the point.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Any opinions on Batman: Death and the Maidens? Getting an IST order together.

Thinking about adding that to

Batwoman Elegy
Rucka Punisher volume 1 HC
Batman Cover to Cover
Frank Quitely artbook
Velvet volume 1.

Elegy is JH William so auto 10.

And Velvet is Brubaker doing good Brubaker things.

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
So, I finally had the chance to get my best friend to read some comics. I had him read the first arc of Waid's Daredevil and he loved it, which was cool.

But anyways, the reason I bring this up is because something came up that totally shocked me. After he read Daredevil and was about to leave my house, we were looking at my bookshelf and I was figuring out which books to let him take home and read. He said something like "So all these are older books, right?" and I was like "Wait, what?" He was like "Well, comics don't come out anymore, do they?"
As it turns out, he had no idea that comics still come out on a monthly basis.
I knew the general public was poorly informed about comics and also completely separated from them due to the direct market/comic book store thing, but I didn't realize that the average Joe was that clueless about comics.
So I explained to him that comics do indeed come out every month and he was pretty surprised and excited about that. Haha

MG310

Wish they had found a way to articulate the neck/head but it is a cool figure. I have Nightwing and Batman on the way...still debating Talon and Riddler.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom