• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| June 2014. Bringing you great father-son bonding moments since 1940.

Status
Not open for further replies.
im with Messi on this

fuck Superman

tumblr_loo9g6HWUz1qlctfho1_500.gif

Messi

Messi, don't you pull Thor... ?

It has definitely had very lively covers.

Yes but for whatever reason him being op doesn't bother me. Then again I find Thor incredibly likable.

Just bought :

Catwoman Vol 2 by Brubaker
Locke and Key Vol 3 HC
Trial of Jeeeeaaaaan Grey HC
Zatanna and Black Canary Bloodspell
Gotham Central Vol 3

Good stuffs?

Mindwipe

If you aren't on board the MTMTE train yet, it's on sale on Comixology. There's a very good value bundle deal of all of Volume 1 of it and it's sister book Robots in Disguise too.

If you aren't on board the MTMTE train yet, it's on sale on Comixology. There's a very good value bundle deal of all of Volume 1 of it and it's sister book Robots in Disguise too.

First issue of each is free. I'll check those out and pick up more should they take my fancy.

Li Kao

Ok so for the, let's be real, zero people that are interested in the struggles of an ex-comic reader wanting back in... I had a revelation. The stupidest and most obvious of all I warn you.

But for why I tended to buy way too many comics here's just a brief 'reasons why'.
- I first discovered comic in a French comic shop. Me and a pal used to pay a fucking premium, cover price + store fee.
- Then we discovered Mile High Comics, cover price + shipping. That was good. We ordered more.
- Then we discovered DCBS, insane discounts at the time + shipping. It was ugly.
And I think this explain a little why I've got such a hard time getting back in and in part why I have this OCD in regards to buying lots of comics... because we fucking could !

Then back to yesterday, when after several attempt at making a list I realized that even with the help of DCBS or IST there is no way in hell I will be able to buy all the things that interest me. Cover price is through the roof. I was still in the 200$ for a bunch of TPB / HC. And while I have no numbers at hand I'm pretty certain that I could have easily ordered this two times over in the days of yore.

I'm really sad about the state in which I find this industry. Not quality-wise evidently. But the prices, the over production, the myriad of alternate foil shit covers...

I guess my only option will be to play smart.
The plan (subject to change) is :
- No Marvel, just a Marvel Unlimited sub.
- The very minimum DC Comics.
- Have some fun with Image / Dark Horse / Dynamite / Boom / Valliant / Fantagraphix.
Yeah the last point looks like trouble budget-wise. I'm fubar, boo last point !

Ok so for the, let's be real, zero people that are interested in the struggles of an ex-comic reader wanting back in... I had a revelation. The stupidest and most obvious of all I warn you.

But for why I tended to buy way too many comics here's just a brief 'reasons why'.
- I first discovered comic in a French comic shop. Me and a pal used to pay a fucking premium, cover price + store fee.
- Then we discovered Mile High Comics, cover price + shipping. That was good. We ordered more.
- Then we discovered DCBS, insane discounts at the time + shipping. It was ugly.
And I think this explain a little why I've got such a hard time getting back in and in part why I have this OCD in regards to buying lots of comics... because we fucking could !

Then back to yesterday, when after several attempt at making a list I realized that even with the help of DCBS or IST there is no way in hell I will be able to buy all the things that interest me. Cover price is through the roof. I was still in the 200$ for a bunch of TPB / HC. And while I have no numbers at hand I'm pretty certain that I could have easily ordered this two times over in the days of yore.

I'm really sad about the state in which I find this industry. Not quality-wise evidently. But the prices, the over production, the myriad of alternate foil shit covers...

- Have some fun with Image / Dark Horse / Dynamite / Boom / Valliant / Fantagraphix.
Don't let anyone ever tell you it is not possible to read everything.....

Li Kao

Don't let anyone ever tell you it is not possible to read everything.....

I sure won't tell anyone it isn't possible to read a LOT of comics. I used to do it.
If memory serves, 10 years ago I was reading a good chunk of DC / Marvel / Image. And I still had a little money for 1-2 TPB. Now if I do the same again I will have to find how you clone kidneys.

Edit - But what's funny is my rant is awfully looking like what some shop owner told me years ago.
Shop Owner - "I used to read 99% of what Marvel published".
Me - "How can he do that ???"

I sure won't tell anyone it isn't possible to read a LOT of comics. I used to do it.
If memory serves, 10 years ago I was reading a good chunk of DC / Marvel / Image. And I still and a little money for 1-2 TPB. Now if I do the same again I will have to find how you clone kidneys.

I channel my own personal OCD into a single pet project; in my case, the Legion. I've been working on getting as full of a run as feasible. That makes ignoring other stuff much, much easier because I always have this one project to work on.

wetflame

Pizza Dog
If memory serves, 10 years ago I was reading a good chunk of DC / Marvel / Image. And I still had a little money for 1-2 TPB. Now if I do the same again I will have to find how you clone kidneys.

Edit - But what's funny is my rant is awfully looking like what some shop owner told me years ago.

I had to get a new job before I could get back into comics again, ha. Now I have a bit more "disposable" income I can take a few chances with titles, have found some really good stuff because of it. I'm definitely feeling it when there's weeks with lots of releases I'm pulling though.

Just focus on stuff thats interesting and that got well recieved. If you find something interesting thats not well recieved... skip it. You find something thats well recieved but dont find it interesting? Skip it.

Thats what i do. I lose alot of money per month (Like my third month buying comics) but thats only because i want to read all that good and interesting stuff thats out there. When i hear that one comic gets only 6 issues i skip it instantly like with Trees. I bought the first issue but thats about it.

Gonna wait for that TPB.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
Easily.

Best, GROWN UP, Superman. Even Moz can't save the idea of a younger Superman. I've been trying to make my way through his Action Comics run for like three years now. I'm up to #4.

: /

you got further than me

That run is completely flawed, and very fractured but both of you should just read Action Comics # 9. It's a standalone story of Earth-23 (pretty sure it's '23') Superman. It's honestly one of the best Superman stories I've read, and it's all done in that single issue. It has nothing to do with the rest of that run, and it has everything to do with a black President Superman.

tim1138

That run is completely flawed, and very fractured but both of you should just read Action Comics # 9. It's a standalone story of Earth-23 (pretty sure it's '23') Superman. It's honestly one of the best Superman stories I've read, and it's all done in that single issue. It has nothing to do with the rest of that run, and it has everything to do with a black President Superman.

That and the Krypto issue (12 or 13 I think) are both worth reading on their own. The Krypto issue was one of my favorite comics that year.

Hellers

Easily.

Best, GROWN UP, Superman. Even Moz can't save the idea of a younger Superman. I've been trying to make my way through his Action Comics run for like three years now. I'm up to #4.

: /

I just reread them again. The first major arc is pretty much all about Myxy but the problem is you have to wade through a lot of very standard and rather unadventurous stuff to get to the good bits. Double figure issues. Morrison was playing the long game. Eventually though Morrison remembers who he is and it actually gets very good.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
That and the Krypto issue (12 or 13 I think) are both worth reading on their own. The Krypto issue was one of my favorite comics that year.

I'm totally with you there. Those two, along with Issue 0, the story with the boy stealing Supes' cape, are fucking fantastic. Also, Travel Foreman did the Krypto issue, which made me enjoy it that much more.

arkon

Check your local libraries for comics and graphic novels as well. Tim swears by them.

Quoted for emphasis.

Everyo e should try this out. Even if you hate Transformers. MTMTE is the single best Transformers thing ever.(Beast Wars comes close)
You don't even need background knowledge since most of it is explained in there. And a big chunk of the cast is composed of C and D listers anyway.

When you say things like this, it makes me wish that they give Harley Quinn to Noccenti and that the book does so bad they cancel it, and in the last issue kill Harley, and never bring her back ever. I only say this out of hurt.

This is why we can't have nice things.

Hahahaha! I lol'd.
Thanks

Li Kao

I channel my own personal OCD into a single pet project; in my case, the Legion. I've been working on getting as full of a run as feasible. That makes ignoring other stuff much, much easier because I always have this one project to work on.

If the run has other arcs as good as 'The Great Darkness Saga', that's not a bad pet project !

I had to get a new job before I could get back into comics again, ha. Now I have a bit more "disposable" income I can take a few chances with titles, have found some really good stuff because of it. I'm definitely feeling it when there's weeks with lots of releases I'm pulling though.

Mhh, a job you say ? How I wish I had that little disposable income. Not specific to comics, I'm not mad, but a just little more money a month can go a long way to change how you approach life.

Just focus on stuff thats interesting and that got well recieved. If you find something interesting thats not well recieved... skip it. You find something thats well recieved but dont find it interesting? Skip it.

Thats what i do. I lose alot of money per month (Like my third month buying comics) but thats only because i want to read all that good and interesting stuff thats out there. When i hear that one comic gets only 6 issues i skip it instantly like with Trees. I bought the first issue but thats about it.

Gonna wait for that TPB.

You make a good point, Trees is one of the new comics I'm really excited to read, Warren Ellis, man. But if it's meant to be a short series it might be good to wait for a nice collected edition.
That leads me to ask, has Ellis done some great work while I was gone ? I quit comics near Nextwave, but I got the feeling that he didn't produce has much these last few years because he write novels now. There was some steampunk thing at Avatar Press, some gory super hero things too, but apart from that I haven't a clue.

Check your local libraries for comics and graphic novels as well. Tim swears by them.

I'm French, so library-wise it will be just the odd bunch of translated comics or nothing. Not an option. But hey, on another hand, it's less option for me to hesitate on ^o^

Yes but for whatever reason him being op doesn't bother me. Then again I find Thor incredibly likable.

Just bought :

Catwoman Vol 2 by Brubaker
Locke and Key Vol 3 HC
Trial of Jeeeeaaaaan Grey HC
Zatanna and Black Canary Bloodspell
Gotham Central Vol 3

Good stuffs?

Messi, if you've experienced Brubaker Catwoman and continue to buy Nocenti Catwoman, there is no hope for you.

Vyer

I actually really liked the first two issues of Morrisons Action run. It felt different and new and exactly like the kind of thing I was hoping for from the New 52 stuff. My two favorite issues of the run, along with the Krypton stuff. I understand if the run as a whole wasn't for everyone.

Bii

You're overthinking this and overwhelming yourself. I'm sorry if that sounds harsh. Here's what I would do if I were you. Pick one trade paperback (not an omnibus, hardcover, special limited edition whathaveyou, just a paperback). Just one. And start reading that. I still stand by my suggestion of the first volume of new 52 Batman (Court of Owls) by Scott Snyder. If you've already read what my suggestion, have a go at Saga vol. 1 by Brian K. Vaughan. Whichever one you pick, read it and if you enjoy it, get the volumes of trades that follow them thereafter.

I was building up quite a backlog because I wanted to read everything! I used to have 40-50 unread trades and now I'm down to 12 or so, and at the same time, I had around 80 unread floppies but now it's down to 10 (I'm basically week-to-week now). My problem was that I was creating list after list of what I should read next. Instead, I just grabbed an unread trade off of my shelf and went at it.

Parch

There are some decent stand alone series in DC and Marvel, but they're trying to commit you as many ongoings as possible. After feeling like I should be reading key titles, it was liberating to finally give up and abandon most superhero universe characters/titles and just pick and chose the occasional stand alone. Too much good stuff out there to be brand loyal. You really can't read everything, and loyalty is just a sucker sell.

Messi

Buying the current crap only reinforces that it will sell. To get a better book you need to stop buying it.

We've been over this many times. I say I won't buy it, I tell myself not to buy it. But I end up owning it. It's the only bad book I tolerate.

It's like looking at a slow motion car wreck right now.

Owzers

We've been over this many times. I say I won't buy it, I tell myself not to buy it. But I end up owning it. It's the only bad book I tolerate.

It's like looking at a slow motion car wreck right now.

It's also like enabling a new car wreck every month :p

Filthy Slug

I may have to reread Morrison's Action Comics soon, because t-shirt, jeans, and boots Clark is, to this day, my favorite redesign of any character. Maybe another issue will jump out as being great.

You make a good point, Trees is one of the new comics I'm really excited to read, Warren Ellis, man. But if it's meant to be a short series it might be good to wait for a nice collected edition.
That leads me to ask, has Ellis done some great work while I was gone ? I quit comics near Nextwave, but I got the feeling that he didn't produce has much these last few years because he write novels now. There was some steampunk thing at Avatar Press, some gory super hero things too, but apart from that I haven't a clue.

I'm French, so library-wise it will be just the odd bunch of translated comics or nothing. Not an option. But hey, on another hand, it's less option for me to hesitate on ^o^

Warren Ellis current run on Moon Knight is fantastic. TPB should be out in 2 months.

Also if you are french i recommend you to read Elfes Chapter/Issue/Book 3. A really good story and im happy that it was translated into german.

There are some decent stand alone series in DC and Marvel, but they're trying to commit you as many ongoings as possible. After feeling like I should be reading key titles, it was liberating to finally give up and abandon most superhero universe characters/titles and just pick and chose the occasional stand alone. Too much good stuff out there to be brand loyal. You really can't read everything, and loyalty is just a sucker sell.

Just pick your favourite Marvel/DC Character and go with him alone. The best you can do. And dont start picking up Avengers or Xmen. There are like 10 ongoing series right now.

There's a part of me that hopes Johns is just trolling everybody and that, as someone elsewhere suggested as a joke, his new Power Ring was just teased as a kid by playground bullies and she never got over it.

But he's probably trolling of a different sort, and it's exactly what you think because "how do you like them apples pls respond."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom